PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks Grammys

Fabbs
02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Were they awarded these for their songs or for standing up to Bushel and his Iraq disaster?

I don't recognize any of their new songs, from what I've heard they are meh.
I know the "I'm getting older too" song of a couple years ago was very good.
These new ones sound nothing like it.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Were they awarded these for their songs or for standing up to Bushel and his Iraq disaster?
That is what I was thinking. The annoying one kept saying "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message,". If that's the case i'm sure someone else was more deserving of the Grammy

Taco
02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Chixie Dicks are lame

01Snake
02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/ebrennix/Album%202/Whoop-De-Doo-1.jpg

Spurminator
02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I like the Dixie Chicks for the most part, but that song is a beatdown to listen to.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
The category wasn't full of heavy hitters (other than Willie), and I still think they should've lost.

Extra Stout
02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
That is what I was thinking. The annoying one kept saying "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message,". If that's the case i'm sure someone else was more deserving of the Grammy
"The people?" So elite Grammy voters now represent "the people?"

I don't care how many awards they win, and I'm no Bush fan, but the Dixie Chicks are a bunch of whiny little victim-playing bitches.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
the dixie chicks suck...hard. they haven't produced 1 good song...ever.

Jimcs50
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
the dixie chicks suck...hard. they haven't produced 1 good song...ever.

I disagree, but they need to get over their problem. I mean it has been 3 yrs since the backlash over their comment about Bush and country music's snub of them.

Yes, Bush is a moron, who sold his soul to the oil companies, we get it, but get over it already.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I disagree, but they need to get over their problem. I mean it has been 3 yrs since the backlash over their comment about Bush and country music's snub of them.

Yes, Bush is a moron, who sold his soul to the oil companies, we get it, but get over it already.

just to be clear, i could care less about their thoughts and comments on President Bush...we live in a free country. so whatever. i just think they have zero talent and suck at what they do...obviously many people think otherwise, as they have done quite well.

leemajors
02-12-2007, 04:18 PM

I don't recognize any of their new songs, from what I've heard they are meh.
I know the "I'm getting older too" song of a couple years ago was very good.
These new ones sound nothing like it.

i'm pretty sure that "i'm getting older too" song was a piss poor cover of fleetwood mac.

Melmart1
02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I like the Dixie Chicks, but the song that won did not deserve that many awards. It is not the best song they put out by far, and perhaps the voting was a message more than it was about awarding a deserving album.

I find it interesting though that some of the responses so far in this thread are against them receiving the awards not because of the lack of merits of the song but over the band themselves, and their political posturing. Perhaps the Chicks are not the only ones who need to get over something.

T Park
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
People hated what they said, refused to listen to em, and country music responded tot he listeners.. that simple.

Spurminator
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I like the Dixie Chicks, but the song that won did not deserve that many awards. It is not the best song they put out by far, and perhaps the voting was a message more than it was about awarding a deserving album.

I find it interesting though that some of the responses so far in this thread are against them receiving the awards not because of the lack of merits of the song but over the band themselves, and their political posturing. Perhaps the Chicks are not the only ones who need to get over something.

It would be easier if we didn't have to constantly hear how victimized and censored they are. It's as if they're entitled to a position on Country Music station playlists.

That's not to say the whole thing wasn't a massive overreaction from the beginning, but I think people would have been a lot more forgiving if we hadn't been subjected to Natalie Maines on a fucking cross for four years.

Besides, has anyone listened to a mainstream Country station in the last 15 years? The Chicks should be grateful.

greywheel
02-12-2007, 04:38 PM
As a country music fan, I cared less about their comments regarding Bush than we they insulted their own fans just for :dramaquee

"I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, that was the one that sealed their fate Greywheel. Of the country music fans I knew there were still some that had sympathy for them when there was such a huge backlash and they were getting death threats and idiots were burning piles of their CD's. Then they turn around and pretty much gave the finger to a bunch of their remaining fans. It's one thing to get put on the cross it's another to be the one holding the hammer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Here's what is fucked up:

Stevie Ray Vaughn dies in a crash, yet somehow Natalie Maines lives on.

PM5K
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I want to hear musicians sing, not listen to their opinion on politics, just like I wouldn't want to hear a politician sing.

Having said that, it annoyed me even more that they brought up the whole issue and tried to create additional controversy right before their new album came out...

Although I agree, Bush is a moron and I don't support the war ;-)

2Blonde
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I think Natalie Maines has a great strong voice and I love her sound. She has as much right to stand up and make an idiot of herself anywhere ,anytime as anybody else in the world. Politicians, actors, athletes, anonymous people on messages boards do it every friggin day! :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
The difference 2B is that actors and musicians seem to think that their opinion is more valid than the rest of us, that they need to tell us how to think because they're smarter.

Yet you're talking about a group of people whom by and large didn't even graduate high school trying to tell a general population that at least graduated HS and in a lot of cases has a college degree how to think.

It's as ignorant as you can get.

T Park
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
idiots were burning piles of their CD's.

Yeah that whole protesting thing is horrible I agree......

MannyIsGod
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
The difference 2B is that actors and musicians seem to think that their opinion is more valid than the rest of us, that they need to tell us how to think because they're smarter.

Yet you're talking about a group of people whom by and large didn't even graduate high school trying to tell a general population that at least graduated HS and in a lot of cases has a college degree how to think.

It's as ignorant as you can get.Thats bullshit. THe difference is that people go out and buy magazines for these peoples opinions. The differnce is that people sit down and love to watch Barbara Walters specials with these people.

Celebereties opions are more important simply because the average person makes it so.

That being said, the backlash against the Dixie Chicks was HARSH. And for what? Saying what is on the minds of most Americans today? I'd be fucking pissed if I was them too.

As for the Grammys they suck every year.

T Park
02-12-2007, 09:38 PM
That being said, the backlash against the Dixie Chicks was HARSH. And for what? Saying what is on the minds of most Americans today? I'd be fucking pissed if I was them too.

Boo fucking hoo.

The fans didnt like what they said, so they should'nt have dont what they did?

Give me a break.

MannyIsGod
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't say that. I'm talking about Clear Channels actions and the death threats. I couldn't care less about piles of CDs being smashed. And I'm talking about people saying they acted like vicitms. They were treated pretty shitty, and I'd fucking be pissed at the world after that too.

mikejones99
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Country music fans usually sound as smart as the Maverick geniuses in here.

Duff McCartney
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
If a musician stands up about his/her political beliefs...he/she is an idiot.

It stands to reason that politics=idiocy...hence politicians=idiots.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Manny,

Shouldn't the fans have the right to decide whether or not to listen to an artist? The Dixie Chunks fucked up because they forgot who their demographic was.

Natalie got so fucking pretentious and thought she should speak up and make her opinion known. But she fucked up on two accounts - what she said and where she said it.

She went to Europe to spout off about Bush. That was pretty damn obvious she was saying what she said to try and get them into that European market and sell some albums over there.

In short, she whored out the country and the president to try and sell some records in France. For that, she got fucked up the ass, which she deserved. And all she's done since is cry that it isn't fair.

The fat bitch made her bed, let her sleep in it.

Melmart1
02-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I didn't say that. I'm talking about Clear Channels actions and the death threats. I couldn't care less about piles of CDs being smashed. And I'm talking about people saying they acted like vicitms. They were treated pretty shitty, and I'd fucking be pissed at the world after that too.
I have to agree with Manny here. Death threats are not funny, and calling them an overreaction is not harsh enough. The whole climate of the country in regards to your right to express yourself at that time just made me sick.

I lived in Southern Virginia at the time, and I almost lost a promotion at work because I objected to the war from the get-go and denounced Bush's decisions. In fact, my objection to what was going on is what led me to find a new roommate. My roommate had swallowed so much of the Kool Aid that she dragged me out of bed at 4am one night because CNN had reported that WMDs had been found and she wanted to prove me wrong. Turns out the WMDs were pesticides. Ooopsie! That was the last straw, as she egged me on everyday, brought people over to try and get me to change my mind and called me a bad American.

I am still angry today about how I was treated for not wanting to toe the country line. So I guess I just can't blame someone for being angry when their life is threatened. I was only threatened with a promotion.

PM5K
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I think Natalie Maines has a great strong voice and I love her sound. She has as much right to stand up and make an idiot of herself anywhere ,anytime as anybody else in the world. Politicians, actors, athletes, anonymous people on messages boards do it every friggin day! :rolleyes

Yup, she has every right to make an idiot of herself, and I have every right to dislike her because of it...

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Did Kayne West get the backlash that the Dixiechicks got when he said that Bush hated black people?

Fillmoe
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
the truth must hurt cuz them bitches been speaking the truth for years and the state of texas hate their asses for it.......

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
the truth must hurt cuz them bitches been speaking the truth for years and the state of texas hate their asses for it.......

Please realize that there are more and more people in Texas who have been historically conservative who view Bush's asinine decision making in Iraq as shameful. Especially when he has put our soldiers in harm's way for a bunch of people that would rather kill each other than fight for their own freedom. Also especially when Bush vehemently urged people to "follow my plan" for three years as things got progressively worse. Now, the douchebag has admitted he was wrong for 3 years and he now wants people to trust him for an even bigger military expenditure!

Of course you have your Bush nutthuggers who remind me of the sheep in George Orwell's "Animal Farm", but you'll have those people everywhere.

Democracy in Iraq my ass. If he truly believes that a democratic Iraq is a possiblity after three years of failing to get an Iraqi Army put together to defend themselves, then that is a testament to the depth of his stupidity.

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
As for the Dixie Chicks are concerned, they have the right to say what they want, and people have the right not to buy their CDs. The fact that they received death threats shows how close minded and neurotic people can be.

Guru of Nothing
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Lloyd Maines, the steel guitarist, created many a great sound - Natalie ain't one of them.

I think we need a forum for over-privileged choad-sniffers here at ST through which we can carry on threads such as these.

Natalie Maines = missing Bush triplet.

gameFACE
02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't own any of their music but the singer speaking out in a genre that is somehow supposed to automatically carbon copy whatever the Prez says was cool with me. People dissed them at the time when Bush was ridin' high. But what goes around comes around.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Anybody see Shut Up & Sing?

I have it queued up...

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I have to agree with Manny here. Death threats are not funny, and calling them an overreaction is not harsh enough. The whole climate of the country in regards to your right to express yourself at that time just made me sick.

I lived in Southern Virginia at the time, and I almost lost a promotion at work because I objected to the war from the get-go and denounced Bush's decisions. In fact, my objection to what was going on is what led me to find a new roommate. My roommate had swallowed so much of the Kool Aid that she dragged me out of bed at 4am one night because CNN had reported that WMDs had been found and she wanted to prove me wrong. Turns out the WMDs were pesticides. Ooopsie! That was the last straw, as she egged me on everyday, brought people over to try and get me to change my mind and called me a bad American.

I am still angry today about how I was treated for not wanting to toe the country line. So I guess I just can't blame someone for being angry when their life is threatened. I was only threatened with a promotion.

You got issues. Opinions are like as.... well you know what I am talking about... I would've just ignored her or cough and say bullshit or say blow me or say you're dumb or say that's interesting or say funny or say do you know ducks? whatever.. just end the conversation with the comedic tactic. simple.

War is inevitable...

T Park
02-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Death threats? Yes horrible and going over the line.

Going to other countries and ripping our president instead of doing it here?

Cowardly bullshit.

Clear Channel not wanting to play em? Their radio stations, their right.

Boo friggety hoo.

dougp
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM

If you were stupid enough to involve your political views with your job, you don't deserve the promotion. Sorry Mel, but you have to be a fool to mix that shit up ... and if your roommate had done that to me, she'd be getting some snakes in her bed, or some other fucked up shit to shut her ass up. I may not agree with you politically, but anyone waking me up at 4am that doesn't constitute an emergency will pay for it.

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I can't stand Bush.

Hate the war.

Want the troops hone yesterday.

But I have to admit--I'm not real thrilled when celebrities criticize America's leaders on foreign soil.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
If you were stupid enough to involve your political views with your job, you don't deserve the promotion.

Do you think we live in Nazi Germany?? People have a right to say what they feel on a political matter without being persecuted for it. It didn't sound like anyone in his situation had a problem declaring support for Bush. So why should Melmart be penalized if he is against Bush's decision making??

Melmart1
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
If you were stupid enough to involve your political views with your job, you don't deserve the promotion. Sorry Mel, but you have to be a fool to mix that shit up ... and if your roommate had done that to me, she'd be getting some snakes in her bed, or some other fucked up shit to shut her ass up. I may not agree with you politically, but anyone waking me up at 4am that doesn't constitute an emergency will pay for it.
Fuck you for saying I didn't deserve that promotion. You think I went around work telling people how I felt? How stupid do you think I am? My roommate, who I worked with told people That's what happens when a bunch of smokers get together and gossip outside. And yes, I moved out after the waking me up incident, she had basically lost her marbles at that point and I had enough. Putting snakes in her bed or some other 'fucked up shit' won't solve the problem. :rolleyes

Melmart1
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Do you think we live in Nazi Germany?? People have a right to say what they feel on a political matter without being persecuted for it. It didn't sound like anyone in his situation had a problem declaring support for Bush. So why should Melmart be penalized if he is against Bush's decision making??
:tu well-put. I tend not to talk politics or religion when I worked in an office environment like that, but in this case I had no choice but to speak up since my roommate spilled the beans in her department. But once I was asked, I wasn't about to backdown from my opinion. Fuck that, I am not going to lie about how I felt.

But I bet Enigma wouldn't have said what he said if I had supported the war.

dougp
02-13-2007, 01:39 PM
:tu well-put. I tend not to talk politics or religion when I worked in an office environment like that, but in this case I had no choice but to speak up since my roommate spilled the beans in her department. But once I was asked, I wasn't about to backdown from my opinion. Fuck that, I am not going to lie about how I felt.

But I bet Enigma wouldn't have said what he said if I had supported the war.

No, I would have ... involving politics at work is beyond dumb no matter what your belief is. I would have seeked any type of punishment available for her if I was in your shoes as it possibly screwed something up for you which you deserve.

And to the person equating saying people should involve politics and the workplace ... that's normally a corporate policy, including thing such as religion and sexuality. Get the fuck over yourself ... Mel didn't include the full story, so I assumed she was quite open about how she felt, which would be considered unprofessional and normally keep her from getting a promotion if they even overlooked how they felt about what she was saying.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
No, I would have ... involving politics at work is beyond dumb no matter what your belief is. I would have seeked any type of punishment available for her if I was in your shoes as it possibly screwed something up for you which you deserve.

And to the person equating saying people should involve politics and the workplace ... that's normally a corporate policy, including thing such as religion and sexuality. Get the fuck over yourself ... Mel didn't include the full story, so I assumed she was quite open about how she felt, which would be considered unprofessional and normally keep her from getting a promotion if they even overlooked how they felt about what she was saying.

Perhaps you should read the posts more carefully.

I tend not to talk politics or religion when I worked in an office environment like that, but in this case I had no choice but to speak up since my roommate spilled the beans in her department. But once I was asked, I wasn't about to backdown from my opinion. Fuck that, I am not going to lie about how I felt.

People in the office environment came to her and asked. If you're the type of person who is too chickenshit to speak your mind, even at the risk of disagreeing with the majority, that is your problem. The people asking Mel about the politics were the ones that brought politics into the workplace. She could have either cowered from their questions or honestly answered their questions. They didn't get persecuted for bringing politics to the office, so why should she?

dougp
02-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you should read the posts more carefully.

People in the office environment came to her and asked. If you're the type of person who is too chickenshit to speak your mind, even at the risk of disagreeing with the majority, that is your problem. The people asking Mel about the politics were the ones that brought politics into the workplace. She could have either cowered from their questions or honestly answered their questions. They didn't get persecuted for bringing politics to the office, so why should she?

My response to people who talk to me about politics/religion/anything strictly personal is, "I don't feel the need to speak about that with you in the office."

That's not chicken shit, that's called intelligent. Avoiding the subject with out embarassing yourself and putting them on the defensive. Want to mock me for following rules, watch yourself get reported. Period. If you allow yourself to retort, both should be punishable. If she didn't seek to have the others punished, that was her choice.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
My response to people who talk to me about politics/religion/anything strictly personal is, "I don't feel the need to speak about that with you in the office."

That's not chicken shit, that's called intelligent. Avoiding the subject with out embarassing yourself and putting them on the defensive. Want to mock me for following rules, watch yourself get reported. Period. If you allow yourself to retort, bother should be punishable. If she didn't seek to have the others punished, that was her choice.

You are assuming that her company had a policy against speaking about politics in the office environment. My last company was a Fortune 500, and they had rules against questioning someone's sexuality, but no rules against questioning politics. I now work for another large company, and it's the same thing. If her company had no policy against this, then your argument is null. I for damn sure am not ashamed of my beliefs, and I will debate someone intelligently anywhere, and anytime. It should be the same for everyone in this country.

dougp
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
You are assuming that her company had a policy against speaking about politics in the office environment. My last company was a Fortune 500, and they had rules against questioning someone's sexuality, but no rules against questioning politics. I now work for another large company, and it's the same thing. If her company had no policy against this, then your argument is null. I for damn sure am not ashamed of my beliefs, and I will debate someone intelligently anywhere, and anytime. It should be the same for everyone in this country.

That will only take you so far ... an "intelligent" debate could end in someone killing you because of your belief. Are you willing to take that chance? I wouldn't & don't. As much as I want to believe in free speech and not being persecuted for it ... it quite simply is not worth my time in losing a promotion or job and having to sue/prosicute. Or deal with someone wanting to hurt me because I believe gays should(n't) be allowed to marry, whether we should(n't) be in Iraq, and so forth.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
an "intelligent" debate could end in someone killing you because of your belief. Are you willing to take that chance? I wouldn't & don't.

Again, you speak as though this is Nazi Germany rather than the USA. You obviously don't have much faith in the very principles upon which this country was founded.

mikejones99
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Germany and Spurstalk are alot like nazi cuz they can edit or censor stuff in here at anytime and often do. Free speech is mostly a myth.

efrem1
02-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Speaking of celebrities in general, I think that they criticized things that are fashionable in Hollywood. It is easy for them to speak out on Darfur when in reality the situation the Sudan has been going on for a half a century. Iraq is no different. The Dixie Chicks and other pop stars minds are shallow when it comes to the history of the Middle East. Democracy will come slow for an area that was under Ottoman rule for centuries then came under a British mandate after World War I then under a monarchy followed by a dictatorship.