PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich VS Avery Johnson

regio
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
At this point of their careers who is better? Im not asking whether Dallas is better than San Antonio because that wouldn't be a fair way to compare them since they have different players. But lets say that if Avery was coaching the Spurs would they be any better, or if Pop was coaching Dallas would they be playing this good?

VaSpursFan
02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
i like AJ...he's shown that he's a very capable coach who can adjust mid-game. he finds the mismatch and exploits it; rides the hot hand, etc. all the things that pop can't seem to do.

clambake
02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, yes and no.

td4mvp21
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
AJ>>>Pop

clambake
02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Pop is the kind of coach that seems to be stuck in his comfortable chair, even when it's clear that chair needs to be replaced. I think it's had a direct effect on Tim Duncans energy.

fijian_cholo
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
yea avery is as gud as pope

coz he jus copies wat pope does

timvp
02-12-2007, 02:54 PM
They are both coaching the right teams. AJ wouldn't be able to handle the Hollywoodness of Parker or the laidbackness of Duncan as well as Pop does, and he would probably have a seizure trying to get Finley and Barry to play defense. Pop isn't someone who would ride Dirk constantly like AJ does to make him become an MVP type player.

But if Pop were to ever leave, the person I'd want replacing him would be AJ.

ponky
02-12-2007, 03:11 PM
avery is unrelentless and quick to bench guys when they make a mistake on the defensive end, even if it's a starter who has played two minutes in a game

the other night, when the mavs beat the griz by 16 points avery was so unsatisfied, he said that diop "gave them nothing" and that to let go of a lead (even though they regained it later) was terrible and something they had to work on and get better at...i was laughing because dirk said "well at least we got the win" like he hears avery in his ear all the time and nothing's good enough...but then dirk went on to say that they did need to work on defense because it wasn't great that night.

as for pop, he doesn't seem quite the fiery mad coach as before but maybe that's just my perception. he used to be all up in guy's faces and walking the sideline yelling stuff, but doesn't seem to do that as much anymore

2centsworth
02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
avery is unrelentless and quick to bench guys when they make a mistake on the defensive end, even if it's a starter who has played two minutes in a game

boy that used to be Pop. He doesn't have the bench that Avery has, so he stokes his player a little more.

After Pop, which I hope would be the end of RC too, I would like to see Avery step into the GM role with the spurs.

ponky
02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
i know avery has some loyalty to san antonio because of his playing days but it gives me hope that he doesn't maintain a residence there, but rather in houston... i hope he continues as a mavericks coach for a long time

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
i know avery has some loyalty to san antonio because of his playing days but it gives me hope that he doesn't maintain a residence there, but rather in houston... i hope he continues as a mavericks coach for a long time

Avery owns property here too, but moreso housing developments and stuff like that rather than a residence.

Supergirl
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
# of championships -
Pop=3
AJ=0

When AJ has a couple championships, we'll talk about who is better. And make no mistakes, I am sure that day will come, because I think AJ is a very good coach (WHO LEARNED EVERYTHING HE KNOWS FROM POP) and will win a championship as a coach eventually. But until he does, there's not even a competition here. Esp after the colossal meltdown of the Mavs last year. They still have a lot to prove - and not in the regular season. Right now, he's just a nothing good coach who is lucky to have a deep and talented team to work with.

schadenfreude52
02-12-2007, 04:06 PM
# of championships -
Pop=3
AJ=0

When AJ has a couple championships, we'll talk about who is better. And make no mistakes, I am sure that day will come, because I think AJ is a very good coach (WHO LEARNED EVERYTHING HE KNOWS FROM POP) and will win a championship as a coach eventually. But until he does, there's not even a competition here. Esp after the colossal meltdown of the Mavs last year. They still have a lot to prove - and not in the regular season. Right now, he's just a nothing good coach who is lucky to have a deep and talented team to work with.

Oh really, I've never heard that argument before.........

Anyways, considering that the question said "At this point of their careers," your response doesn't work.

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
AJ is Pat Riley's bitch. He was unable to develop a strategy to contain Wade. Adjust midgame my ass. Was he a rookie last finals? yeah, but still is inexperienced and we'll see if he learned anything since last year.

Right now, he is barely as good coach as Pop. Pop on the other hand has lost his hunger and regressed a lot since last year.

itzsoweezee
02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
i'd dump popovich for AJ in a second.

duncandaman
02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
yah but does pop still have that fire that avery has right now, pop can leave this game tommorrow and be livin da life, avery cant, well at least not yet

Texas_Ranger
02-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Right now the littel general is better.

vander
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
i can't believe avery went to the mavs, and that the spurs let him, he should have been kidnapped and returned home long before things ever got this far!!!

oh, and I'd take Avery over Pop any day of the week, pop is like the Schottenhiemer of the NBA, except in his case, the loads of talent he was blessed with DID overcome his coaching deficiencies every now and then.

ShoogarBear
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
because I think AJ is a very good coach (WHO LEARNED EVERYTHING HE KNOWS FROM POP)Uh, there's some debate about who was the real coach in 1999.

E20
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Pop needs that Eye of the Tiger back.

sandeepgm
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I dont know about avery learning every thing from Pops. He certainly didnt learn small ball from pops but he does go after defense like pop and does matchups like nelson..

Gummi
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Avery has had a fantastic start to his coaching career. Avery took alot of stuff from Pop since his days in San Antonio. Dallas has some great talent on their roster, the Spurs do to. But Dallas is playing some fantastic ball at th moment and probably will go into the playoffs as the number 1 seed.

Pop has had a fantastic career, winning 3 titles, multiple division titles and several top seeds in the West. Pop will go done as one of the top 10 coaches of all time if he would retire after this season, no doubt. I think Pop is the perfect coach for the Spurs and I hope he'll stay here until Duncan retires, just like he said last season.

IMO Pop is a better coach then Avery right now. He has the resumé. Avery, if he continues to coach the Mavs, will have a great career as well, probably not as great as Pop though.

Axl Van Dam
02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
:reading Pop = 3 NBA Chapionships : Avery = 0 Titles. You go figure. :reading

BigBinBigD
02-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Lotsa people on here (Spurs fans) would trade Pop for AJ. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody in Dallas who would do the deal. YOU go figure.

DubMcDub
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM

That's 2. We'll need at least 3-4 more Spurs fan to chime in with a championship count before this can be certified as a legitimate SpursTalk thread.

BigBinBigD
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
That's 2. We'll need at least 3-4 more Spurs fan to chime in with a championship count before this can be certified as a legitimate SpursTalk thread.

:lol :clap

ponky
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Meh, whatever...original post was "at this time in their careers" but this is the standard retort for some Spurs fans when it comes to anything Mavs related. It doesn't matter to me, I'll take AJ over Pop at this point in time, he has more fire and enthusiasm for the game and doesn't allow the guys to slack. If you think he's a better coach at this point in time, he'll find a way to get his team back in gear, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

td4mvp21
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Who cares if Pop has more rings, Avery just started coaching dumbasses. He was the fastest coach in NBA history to 100 wins.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh really, I've never heard that argument before.........

Anyways, considering that the question said "At this point of their careers," your response doesn't work.

she just was trying to say the the mavs havenīt won shit so far,and the spurs have,but more nicely.

Axl Van Dam
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Lotsa people on here (Spurs fans) would trade Pop for AJ. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody in Dallas who would do the deal. YOU go figure.

:toast I still have faith in Pop despite what has all been said. :sleep People in here can all join the Avery Johnson bandwagon for all I care. Hey AJ is a great coach especially with the way he transformed Dallas from pussies to contenders. But to say that he's already better than Pop because of that WC semifinals win last year is pushing it too far. Sure they got over the Spurs and Suns but was he able to take it to the pinnacle? Blowing a 2 - 0 lead in the finals to Miami whose only plan is to "get the ball into Dwyane Wade's hands and get the fuck out of the way" is still a glitch in his record. Let's wait for the playoffs first before you start tooting Avery's horn.

cheguevara
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Avery was brilliant in last year's finals vs. Heat. His adjustments were well thoughtout.

bdictjames
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Pop's got real skills. AJ's just copying from him

schadenfreude52
02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
she just was trying to say the the mavs havenīt won shit so far,and the spurs have,but more nicely.

thanks for explaining....

/sarcasm

Ignorant Spurs fan
02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
# of championships -
Pop=3
AJ=0

its clear you dont follow basketball

Dalhoop
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Alot of people are saying that AJ learned everything from Pop. Now AJ is the type of guy that learns alot from many people, from his early playing days under Brown and later under Pop he no doubt understood the value of defence, but unlike Brown and Pop. AJ knows and looks for match-ups. He learned that from his time as player and assistant under Nelson with the Mavs.

The Mavs have learned the defence of Brown and Pop and mixed it with the offense of Nelson and Harris.

Which is better? Pop seems to be unable to adjust to what is happening to his team this year ... All year. He seems to make the same mistakes over and over. This could be a personel issue ... Which is beyond the scope of the question ... As is the question of talent on the team.

A coach is there to modivate and to draw up plays. I will be honest I have not seen many "last second plays" work for the Spurs this year, there last second defense also seems to be a little suspect. On the Mavs side, I don't remember many "last second oppertunities" this year for the win (They are normally well out of reach), I do know that Mavs have stopped many teams from winning on last second shots. I think the edge goes to AJ in that department .... though admittedly, AJ has not been test as much as Pop.

AJ did take a team that could have self-destructed after the Finals and forged them into a VERY FOCUSED sqaud this year, It is almost as if Pop has done the opposite. I doubt that the loss to the Mavs in the fashion that they did would effect the Spurs in th manor that they are playing now.

Pop has not been able to "flip the switch" ... Atleast to this point (this is the point that it normally happens, not when the playoffs start) and the team has played .... Sleepily ... thoughout the season.

AJ appears to be the better motivator ... right now.

I do think that AJ could coach Duncan. He and Dirk are almost the same person (Not player) ... Silent leadership is both of their styles. I don't know how he would do with TP.

With opposite teams, AJ WOULD BENCH Duncan, Parker and Manu if they didn't show up on a defensive play. He has done it with Dirk and I see no reason why he wouldn't with the Spurs players. Now will the team suffer? Yes. Will those players learn? Probably. Will the upper managment stand by their man as he teaches? .....

AJ is better, he is closer to the players (and has played with many of the players on the floor today) He is more intouch with the direction that the NBA is moving right now (Pop seems at a loss of what to do against the higher paced teams out there)

The comment about Pops being in a comfert zone and not wanting to adjust to obvious changes in the league says it all.

timvp
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
AJ was the coach of the 1999 team. You ask Pop and he'd tell you as much. The daily game plan were designed as much by AJ as they were by Pop.

Right now, I'd say Pop has two rings as a head coach and AJ has one. It should be two to two, but a coach can't really stop its best player from choking at the finish line.

P-O-Z
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
, but a coach can't really stop its best player from choking at the finish line.
:lmao

SPURS vs NBA media
02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
AJ right now ,but come playoff time he will be like any other coach,start whining about not getting the calls,and whining,about MANU,DUNCAN AND PARKER of how they play

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
At this point of their careers who is better?

Do you even have to ask?

dirk4mvp
02-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow....playing the rings card even about this?

Annoying
02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
oh do we have to vote?

wildbill2u
02-13-2007, 12:04 AM
You don't see Pop going crazy onthe bench much anymore which may show he's not quite as into winning as he used to be--or it might just be that he's come to terms with the team as it is.

He also doesn't seem to get on players like he used to when he was always ragging on them to get better or stop making mistakes. Have they gotten better and make fewer mistakes--or has he lost some of the drive he had to make the squad better by forcing the players to get better.

I dunno. They are both pretty damn good coaches and its hard to say Avery doesn't make some dumb mistakes once in a while that we don't see. I'd call it a tossup right now.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Pop, he has more experience than Johnson.