PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Heat Nov. 12th - Grades

timvp
11-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Tim Duncan
Despite shooting only 6-14 from the floor and 5-14 from the line, Duncan did his part in taking down the Miami Heat. He held his position well in the low blocks and did a great job finding the open man – finishing with six assists and only one turnover. While he wasn’t matched up against Shaquille O’Neal very much defensively, his help defense was key in limiting O’Neal’s production.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 86.4

Bruce Bowen
Bowen opened the game on Eddie Jones and did his part in shutting him down. Jones finished 1-5 from the field before fouling out in only 18 minutes of action. Bowen was very active, totaling seven points, three rebounds, three assists, two blocked shots and one steal, while finishing with no turnovers for the game. His offense is still a work in progress, but his defense and overall aggressiveness against his former team was impressive.
GRADE: 88
SEASON: 80

Rasho Nesterovic
Dealing with O’Neal downlow is a dangerous proposition, however Nesterovic did a commendable job. He fronted him for most of the game and made O’Neal work for his position. Of course O’Neal is going to get his points and rebounds, as he finished with 23 points and 21 rebounds. But Nesterovic did a good job limiting him, especially in the first half. Offensively, the seven-foot Slovenian has seen better nights.
GRADE: 84
SEASON: 85.2

Manu Ginobili
The stats speak for themselves. 29 points, seven rebounds, seven assists, six steals and a block, while shooting 8-12 from the field, 5-6 from beyond the arc and 8-10 from the line. Manu Ginobili is becoming a superstar before our very eyes. He’s not only first in the league in points per 48 minutes (35.5 points), he has also passed Duncan for leading scorer on the team (22.8 versus 22.6). While it’s unlikely that Ginobili can keep these type of numbers going, this early season recognition should make him a lock for being named to the All-Star team.
GRADE: 100
SEASON: 95.6

Tony Parker
Parker’s game has been off in this early season, but he took a step in the right direction Friday night. He scored 16 points on 8-16 shooting from the field. Parker also created well and got the team running as he finished with four assists and only one turnover. It wasn’t the breakout game that Spurs fans have been waiting for, but it was a markedly improved effort. He still needs to settle down and concentrate on feeding teammates and attacking the basket.
GRADE: 88
SEASON: 77.6

Brent Barry
Although his shooting wasn’t what he’d like, Barry came through in other aspects of the game. On the defensive side of the court, Barry was very active and did a commendable job in his double-teams of O’Neal. On offense, he made smart decisions and found teammates for open shots. For the game he finished 3-8 from the field and 2-6 on threes, while pulling down two rebounds and handing out three assists in 21 minutes.
GRADE: 86
SEASON: 87.2

Tony Massenburg
To help cope with The Big Shaq Attack, the Spurs employed a healthy dosage of Tony Massenburg. The 6-foot-9, 250 pound bruiser did his job against O’Neal. He didn’t provide much scoring or rebounding help (finishing with two in each category), the 17 minutes he put in against O’Neal was invaluable.
GRADE: 85
SEASON: 87.3

Beno Udrih
In ten minutes, Udrih didn’t drastically hurt or help the Spurs’ cause. He was solid with the ball, but was flustered when pressured full court. The highlights of his night were two impressive steals. The Spurs will need more out of their point guard than zero points and zero assists, however.
GRADE: 77
SEASON: 76

Robert Horry
When the Heat took out O’Neal or went small, Horry came in to match up defensively and spread the floor. He responded by hitting two of his four shots and dishing out an assist in ten minutes of action.
GRADE: 84
SEASON: 80.5

Malik Rose
Since Massenburg was matched up against O’Neal and Horry was used against the smaller power players, Rose’s time was limited. He hit 1-2 from the floor and grabbed one rebound in eight minutes.
GRADE: 83
SEASON: 84.3

Devin Brown
San Antonio’s own found limited minutes against the Heat, while scoring one point and snaring one rebound in five minutes.
GRADE: 82
SEASON: 80.3

Nikos
11-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Nice grades timvp.

As an aside, one thing that caught my eye was Manu posting up twice. I don't think I have seen him post up more than 3-4 times out of all the games I have seen of his. I know he does it once in a while, but he was trying it on Eddie Jones and Rasual Butler, who is bigger than he is. Although he missed the second one, he looks confident in the post up. And the first one on Eddie Jones was a solid play that got him going.

Did you notice that, or is it something he does from time to time? Cause usually from what I see and hear of his game in some of the radio broadcasts is that he usually does not post up at all and either shoots the 3 or takes it all away. I guess he has made some in between shots this season thus far.

You think Manu will try this posting up shorter guards from time to time despite not having the size advantage over most SGs? That could be interesting if he could develop some post moves and a semi-reliable fadaway. Unlikely, but the idea of him mixing up his offense a bit more seems enticing.

Also Beno seemed a little slow last night for some reason to me. Did he look comfortable aside from not handling full court pressure too well. I hope he can find some sort of comfort zone. But then again TP should break out soon anyway, and it probably doesn't matter as much if Beno doesn't always have a solid and confident game off the bench.

Kori Ellis
11-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Manu Ginobili is becoming a superstar before our very eyes. He’s not only first in the league in points per 48 minutes (35.5 points), he has also passed Duncan for leading scorer on the team (22.8 versus 22.6).

I wonder how long it will last with Ginobili right up there with Duncan in scoring.

timvp
11-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Nikos, I'm not sure if those were called plays to post up Ginobili. It was probably more a matter of that he was hot, so the Spurs wanted to get him the ball any way possible.

But I guess we'll see how it plays out. If he's going to keep playing like Michael Jordan, then you have to give him the ball no matter where he is.

Nikos
11-13-2004, 04:40 PM
But I guess we'll see how it plays out. If he's going to keep playing like Michael Jordan, then you have to give him the ball no matter where he is.

:lol

True. It's just that he did it on the first play in the game. I was suprised. In the second half he was hot and he was feeling comfortable on the second post up. But it seems the first one (the Spurs first basket) is what got him going.

I wonder how long it will last with Ginobili right up there with Duncan in scoring.

Tonight should be the last night Ginobili leads the team in scoring. It was fun while it lasted. :lol

But now its time for everyone to play well together. Ginobili will hopefully stay solid though in terms of the 2nd/3rd scoring option depending on the night.

Fizzzar
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Nikos, I'm not sure if those were called plays to post up Ginobili. It was probably more a matter of that he was hot, so the Spurs wanted to get him the ball any way possible.

Timvp, his first post up was on the first possesion of the game.

Nikos
11-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I already made that point clear Fizzzar. But yes, I did find it suprising it came on the first play, did you Fizz? Did he even post up much at all in the Euroleagues or for Argentina NT? I think I saw him try it once in the Olympics but it wasn't too often if it all.

T Park
11-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Timvp, his first post up was on the first possesion of the game

Now you see, there your disputing Aggie's and everyone else's assumptions that Pop's playbook begins and ends with 4 down.

Hes run plays for Manu and Parker??

Cant be, must be mistakes right?

More, winning in despite of Pop

MI21
11-14-2004, 02:01 AM
That 2nd post up he did was very nice, despite missing the shot. A player that has the trickery and footwork that Manu has could be succesful in a post up situation, even if he is smaller than his defender. Pretty interesting thought if he was to post up more. Gives a little more variety to his offensive game.

Coach Torres
11-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry it’s late but I just got back in town yesterday
but I just wanted to say thanks once more to the timvp and kori who I am quickly noticing run this page and let them know we had a hell of a time at the heat game booin shaqs sorry ass who actually made some free throws but it was great to see Manu rip it up and do his thing but it looks like I have found a new forum to post to as well...... now if I could only learn to use periods and punctuation :fro

Nikos
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
That 2nd post up he did was very nice, despite missing the shot. A player that has the trickery and footwork that Manu has could be succesful in a post up situation, even if he is smaller than his defender. Pretty interesting thought if he was to post up more. Gives a little more variety to his offensive game.

Yeah I was actually impressed with the second post up despite the missed shot. Nice footwork and got the neccesary seperation to make the shot. I wonder if deep down he has some post up ability that can be used from time to time to expand his offense a bit?

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
we had a hell of a time at the heat game booin shaqs sorry ass

I'm glad you had fun. Welcome to the forum.