PDA

View Full Version : Backup Point Guard Position

SequSpur
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
99 Antonio Daniels/Steve Kerr Championship
03 Speedy Claxton Championship
05 Beno Udrih Championship
07 Beno Udrih/Jacque Vaughn. ???

Is the backup pg really that bad? Looking back at 05, the only difference was Nazr played most of the center minutes during the playoffs.

The Spurs can't be that far off are they?

There has to be an NBDL guard or a free agent that can come in and give Parker 5 minutes of rest..... WTF?

Vaughn is terrible, imo.

timvp
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Problem is 2005 Beno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2007 Beno.

djohn14
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
We honestly have horrible PG's and everyone knows that. Vaughn did make a great shot against the heat.

Phenomanul
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM
What RC Buford needs to do:

Contact Unicaja Málaga....

See about obtaining Pepe Sanchez's services....

Phenomanul
02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Does this ^^ break the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement??? Honest question - I don't know.

Phenomanul
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Maybe we can trade Beno for Pepe... Beno's game would translate well in the Euroleague. Whatever value he may have might be salvageable there.

exstatic
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
2007 Beno > Pepe Sanchez

Not all Argies are the shit. Pepe has had his chances to stick in the NBA.

Phenomanul
02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
2007 Beno > Pepe Sanchez

Not all Argies are the shit. Pepe has had his chances to stick in the NBA.

I don't know. Pepe's court vision impressed me during the World Championship Tournament. His shot - what people considered his biggest deficiency - also seems much improved. He was draining threes effortlessly... ended up something like 60% from behind the arc for the tournament....

But again, his ability to run an offense and his defence impressed me much.

edit: also his ability to take care of the ball.

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Sanchez > Beno.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Sanchez had his chance in the NBA,but unfortunely didnīt play enough minutes to improve and develope his game,like he did in Europe.At this point he is more close to retirement tham coming back to the NBA.
I used to love watching him play in Temple back on his NCAA days.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Beno and Vaughn are just two suckers.
But that's not the only position. We suck at center too. Oberto is horrible and Elson is not so good. Then SF position. Bowen is playing good, but Finley... One day he will score 22 points with 70% shooting, next day he'll score 2 points with 1/11 shot. The same is with Horry. The best position in the team is the SG position. Manu and Barry are playing very well. They will always score 25-30 point per game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Sanchez had his chance in the NBA,but unfortunely didnīt play enough minutes to improve and develope his game,like he did in Europe.At this point he is more close to retirement tham coming back to the NBA.
I used to love watching him play in Temple back on his NCAA days.
Thats a shame i thought he ran the argie team very well during those summer games this last year. Too bad he's old. We could have confused the defenses with him. Two Manus.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Thats a shame i thought he ran the argie team very well during those summer games this last year. Too bad he's old. We could have confused the defenses with him. Two Manus.

folks in SA wouldnīt like the Idea,they would have to be the San Anto-Argies Spurs instead.
just kidding. :toast

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
:lol If only we had gotten Nocioni for the three spot. Long, rebounding, athletic SF we sorely need. Then that's when SA would start saying, "hey, wait a minute here."

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 09:48 AM
:lol If only we had gotten Nocioni for the three spot. Long, rebounding, athletic SF we sorely need. Then that's when SA would start saying, "hey, wait a minute here."

Noc is good because he stretches the D with his long-range shooting ability and he muscles his way for rebounds (which makes him a good small-ball 4), but I wouldnt' exactly call him long or athletic.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 09:48 AM

Actually they donīt even have to change the S.A.initials. :smokin

Solid D
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
99 Antonio Daniels/Steve Kerr Championship
03 Speedy Claxton Championship
05 Beno Udrih Championship
07 Beno Udrih/Jacque Vaughn. ???

Is the backup pg really that bad? Looking back at 05, the only difference was Nazr played most of the center minutes during the playoffs.

The Spurs can't be that far off are they?

There has to be an NBDL guard or a free agent that can come in and give Parker 5 minutes of rest..... WTF?

Vaughn is terrible, imo.

In the 2005 Championship, Beno got 1 minute combined PT in Games 5 (DNP CD), 6 (1 Minute) and 7 (DNP CD). Lindsay Hunter ate him for a snack in Detroit. The Spurs then went to a 7-man rotation with Brent Barry and Manu backing up TP.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Backup PG is far from being Spurs main concern.

Tony is young and more consistent than ever, he will be able to play 40 mpg in playoffs.
The fact that the player who will play the last 8 mpg isn't good isn't a big deal. Vaughn will be ok to play that little.

To me, Spurs plan for the backup PG spot should be :
- Trade Beno at the deadline, he is done as a Spurs and is just now a waste of money and roster spot.
- Look if there isn't an upgrade over Vaughn available via trade with a good contract and who can be had without trading something good. Look at waivers too.
- If nobody is available, sign a young player with some upside as 3rd PG and work with him with the hope that he becomes Spurs backup PG in 07-08.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Tony is young and more consistent than ever, he will be able to play 40 mpg in playoffs.
The fact that the player who will play the last 8 mpg isn't good isn't a big deal. Vaughn will be ok to play that little.

To me, Spurs plan for the backup PG spot should be :
- Trade Beno at the deadline, he is done as a Spurs and is just now a waste of money and roster spot.
- Look if there isn't an upgrade over Vaughn available via trade with a good contract and who can be had without trading something good. Look at waivers too.
- If nobody is available, sign a young player with some upside as 3rd PG and work with him with the hope that he becomes Spurs backup PG in 07-08.
And what about a Buckup Offensive oriented SF for beno?
we donīt have a true SF (6.7 to 6.9) in the bench right now,besides old man horry,who can play 3 and 4 stops

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Disagree completely...

I don't trust Vaughn on the court for 1 minute...let alone eight. He's a serviceable THIRD string PG, nothing more.

Also, regarding Tony Parker, the risk is that the opposing teams "figure him out" after the first few games, then you have a relatively ineffective player going almost the full game.

Bottom Line: It helps to have options and Beno/Vaughn is NOT a viable option.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Disagree completely...

I don't trust Vaughn on the court for 1 minute...let alone eight. He's a serviceable THIRD string PG, nothing more.

Also, regarding Tony Parker, the risk is that the opposing teams "figure him out" after the first few games, then you have a relatively ineffective player going almost the full game.

Bottom Line: It helps to have options and Beno/Vaughn is NOT a viable option.

Manu and even Barry can hundle the ball when TP is on the bench if you donīt like vaughn for the playoffs.
I say lets try to get a SF for beno.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
And what about a Buckup Offensive oriented SF for beno?
we donīt have a true SF (6.7 to 6.9) in the bench right now,besides old man horry,who can play 3 and 4 stops

Beno trade value is too low to fetch a good prospect/player.
I don't care for who Beno is trading as long as he has an expiring contract.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I think we could put Manu or Barry (if Barry's still here) in the postseason during some stretches depending on the opponent like Detroit Finals, to help handle the ball and back up Parker. With Finley playing the two spot during the bench rotation. Manu could shoulder the load for defenses at the one, so they'll be on their toes during Tony's absence. I mean he's a bench player already! He's versatile enough. AND earlier this year he filled in for Tony (when Tony was out one game) along with Barry, by running the offense rather than scoring. It would almost conserve Manu's scoring energy even. Vaughn definitely stinks.

IMO We need immediate help now and that help will come at the SF position. We could solve Tony's backup position for next year, because Tony can handle the load.
For one thing. Tony's been going it alone for about..um..2 straight years now.
Nick Van Exel sucked, and STILL beat out Beno for the bid. Rather, maybe Pop ruined Beno even more.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Beno trade value is too low to fetch a good prospect/player.
I don't care for who Beno is trading as long as he has an expiring contract.

Iīm just asking for an average not too old SF.not more tham that.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Disagree completely...

Third string PG ?
Over the last 6 years, Vaughn has played 466 games (78 games/years) and has played 20 mpg.

Vaughn isn't talented at all (some third string PGs are more talented than him) but he is a solid role player ann it will be enough for 8mpg.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Manu and even Barry can hundle the ball when TP is on the bench if you donīt like vaughn for the playoffs.
I say lets try to get a SF for beno.

Singleton of the Clippers is the only one that comes to mind, but I don't know how much he'd be used....probably take Williams' spot on the bench.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Third string PG ?
Over the last 6 years, Vaughn has played 466 games (78 games/years) and has played 20 mpg.

Vaughn isn't talented at all (some third string PGs are more talented than him) but he is a solid role player ann it will be enough for 8mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vaughn's energy, but sometimes he can be too aggressive and he just doesn't have the game to produce.

My main concern is the +/- numbers when Tony is off the floor....I'd feel more comfortable if there wasn't such a monumental drop off when he leaves. I guess the same goes for Duncan in the low post, but I consider Oberto, Elson, Horry, and potentially Bonner and more suitable replacements than Vaughn and Beno.

Args....thing is, the roster/rotation is set at the SF spot and only a legit starter/key role guy (Maggette) could force his way in. I'd rather the Spurs fix a problem area that is currently ailing them (2nd string PG and/or "other big") than go after a player who may not fill a hole immediately.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Singleton of the Clippers is the only one that comes to mind, but I don't know how much he'd be used....probably take Williams' spot on the bench.

Williams will be bought out anyways,wonīt he?

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Williams will be bought out anyways,wonīt he?

If the Spurs can't find a taker for his expiring contract, yes I think the plan is for him to be bought out. I think it will happen after the deadline though. I think he still has value...

Williams + Butler + future pick for Knight + Ely

Cherry
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
What RC Buford needs to do:

Contact Unicaja Málaga....

See about obtaining Pepe Sanchez's services....

Sanchez > Beno.

Olé! :spin

ShoogarBear
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't think the backup PG matters a whit. In the playoffs, Manu and Barry can provide 8-10 minutes/game of backup play when it matters, and Beno and Vaughn can provide 2-5 minutes during blowouts.

What we need is someone to take away the minutes for Manu and Barry at the 3 and/or Finley at the 4.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think the backup PG matters a whit. In the playoffs, Manu and Barry can provide 8-10 minutes/game of backup play when it matters, and Beno and Vaughn can provide 2-5 minutes during blowouts.

What we need is someone to take away the minutes for Manu and Barry at the 3 and/or Finley at the 4.

Like I said,we need a buckup SF.
thanks god someone finally agrees with me.