PDA

View Full Version : question on internal wireless card for notebook

exstatic
02-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Has anyone ever had one go bad? My notebook keeps losing it's network connectivity. Nothing has move or changed on my home network. The notebook is right on the coffe table, where it's always been. I idisable and re-enable the card, it re-connects at a reduced speed (18Mbps instead of 54) then drops down to 1 Mbps, which causes EVERY page to time out. WTF?

resistanze
02-12-2007, 09:50 PM
How long have you had it? Which brand is it (e.g. Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG).

I don't know if you use wireless for any other comps, but you could try refreshing the modem.

Duff McCartney
02-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I never heard of that ex but it's possible it could happen. With laptops anything is possible, but that sounds like it could be a major problem.

From what I know, wireless cards on laptops are soldered on to the motherboard, so from what someone told me you are pretty much screwed if it goes out. You'd have to take the whole thing apart on the laptop. I could be wrong.

boutons_
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
There could be some kind of new external signal in the area in that license-free frequency that is interfering.

Your wireless utility should show the signal strength, and scan for all other networks.

You might try changing the channel.

Take the laptop to a public access point and see if it works correctly there, like $tarbuck$

exstatic
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I'll try the public access point tomorrow. I'm now installing my TiVo to go software on my desktop to check the wireless connection on my TiVo.

The strange thing is that is says signal strength very good 1Mbps. :lol

exstatic
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh, and it's a Compaq and I've had it for probably 20 months.

Edit: the card is a Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN

Mijo
02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I've been having the same problem as of late. I have a Dell that is barely 6 months old. I have a warranty but I think the problem may be with my router (linsys). I'm currently using a non encrypted network that is within range just to test it out. Twenty minutes and no problem yet. Did you resolve your issue?

PM5K
02-23-2007, 07:31 PM
From what I know, wireless cards on laptops are soldered on to the motherboard

Not always, on my Dell my wireless card connects to a MINI PCI port...

lilmads
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM
OMG i have the same problem on my Dell laptop... And I've had it since last June... funny thing is that I contacted Dell about it and they said that it's my wireless connection that is messing up, not the card... Don't know if that's right... Need to take it to a public place n try it out... But I think it is the wirless card on the notebook that is messed up and not my router (which is linksys)

Mijo
02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Test failed. Still having the same problem.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Taking it to another access point is the best idea, because it could be your router.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Oh, and it's a Compaq and I've had it for probably 20 months.

Edit: the card is a Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN

up to date drivers/firmware?