PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Cold, hard facts greet Spurs

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Cold, hard facts greet Spurs

Web Posted: 02/12/2007 10:35 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021307.03D.spurs.1af528c.html

NEW YORK — After a three-day stay in sunny Florida did nothing to improve their record or disposition, the Spurs awoke here Monday to the chill of winter and the realization they likely won't warm up enough to land either of the Western Conference's top two playoff seeds.

Trailing Dallas by a staggering nine games and Phoenix by six, the Spurs are just as close to catching the Mavericks as they are to being caught by ninth-place New Orleans. On the Spurs' to-do list, "Win Southwest Division" could eventually be replaced by "Qualify for Playoffs."

"It's kind of hard now to challenge Phoenix and Dallas for the first seed," Manu Ginobili said. "We know that's going to be impossible at this point.

"But we still have room to improve and a long way to go. We really believe we can (turn the season around). We have to keep working hard and forget about what's been happening."

The Spurs didn't practice Monday, instead using the day as an opportunity to rest and recover before they close out their rodeo trip with back-to-back games against New Jersey and Detroit. The Spurs need to win both just to split the eight road games. In the four previous seasons, they never lost more than twice during their rodeo travels.

And while tonight's meeting in New Jersey might have looked appealing a week ago, the Nets are riding a three-game winning streak, while the Spurs have dropped consecutive games.

"Every single team is giving us problems," Ginobili said, "so we have to try to improve regardless of whether we're playing Dallas, Phoenix or whoever."

The Spurs find their current struggles all the more frustrating because last week coach Gregg Popovich thought the team was on the upswing. He was encouraged by the Spurs' competitiveness in losses to Utah and Phoenix and thought the team's defense had improved.

When the Spurs opened the second leg of their travels with a rout in Washington and took an 18-point second-quarter lead two nights later in Orlando, the team looked like it had begun to gain some traction. The Magic, however, shot 57.5 percent in the second half and won the game 106-104 on Dwight Howard's remarkable dunk over Tim Duncan with .2 seconds left.

"The Orlando loss was tough," Brent Barry said. "I don't know if I've ever lost a game in that fashion. I don't know if any of the guys in here will ever lose another game on an alley-oop play."

The Spurs still looked dazed on Sunday in Miami. Their defense again unraveled in the second half as Miami shot 52.8 percent for the game and Dwyane Wade scored 18 points in the fourth quarter.

The 100-85 loss marked the first time since Dec. 26-29, 2001, the Spurs had allowed 100 points in consecutive non-overtime games.

"It just seems like we keep letting down defensively when we should be getting stronger in the third and fourth quarter," Barry said. "We're not able to do that the last few games."

As has often been the case of late, the Spurs also have failed to finish their defense with a rebound. They were outboarded 50-32 by Utah, 51-41 by Phoenix and 46-31 by Miami.

That prompted Popovich to question the team's toughness. Miami's "physicality was much better than ours and they maintained it for the entire period of time," he said. "We didn't."

Asked if he agreed with Popovich's "too soft" assessment, Duncan said, "It's all in definition."

"I think we're playing hard," he added. "I don't think anyone's slacking off, and that's where it starts."

But with four losses in their past five games and an unimpressive 10-10 record since Jan. 1, the Spurs have entered, according to Bruce Bowen, "uncharted waters."

"That's a lot of games we're losing, and it's not us," Tony Parker said. "We just have to find some solution and keep working. That's all we can do. Keep working hard and keep our heads up."

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Good report. Did you get an A in english, Ludden? What kind of read is this? Why should a fan go out and buy a ticket with responses like this? Uncharted waters?

That is why they play the games. The Spurs act like they can just show up half the time and win something.... When is ownership going to hold the administration accountable???? When it effects the box office.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Seriously brah, just tank this season its already fucking over

theres no way holt et. al can take away our draft picks, so just tank it, pick a young college banger, and we're retooled for next season

mjnxn
02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
lmao--so what if we get a high draft pick? He'll be riding pine unless michael finley/brent barry get injured.

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Pop wouldn't give an 18 y/o Kevin Garnett minutes on this team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Even if we got the #1 pick all we'd do is go draft Gregonis Odenopoulis and stash him in Europe for another 4-5 years.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 02:10 AM
What's next? The handle on the hammer breaks and the Spurs can't keep pounding the rock because they can't afford to replace it?

:smokin
Go Spurs. Keep pounding it with bloody stumps.

timvp
02-13-2007, 02:45 AM
What's next? The handle on the hammer breaks and the Spurs can't keep pounding the rock because they can't afford to replace it?

:lmao :lmao

Someone needs to sig that.

timvp
02-13-2007, 02:47 AM
http://legrenieranini.free.fr/emoticon/xptdr.gif

Man, that was a good one.

milkyway21
02-13-2007, 03:16 AM
On the Spurs' to-do list, "Win Southwest Division" could eventually be replaced by "Qualify for Playoffs."
huh? :oops isn't this down-grading the team too much? The Spurs lost how many games since Jan but we're still # 4 in the WC.

1. Dallas 42 9
2. Phoenix 39 12
3. Utah 34 17
4. San Antonio 33 18
5. Houston 32 18
6. L.A. Lakers 30 22
7. Denver 26 24
8. L.A. Clippers 25 27
9. New Orleans 24 27
10. Minnesota 24 27

Mr. Body
02-13-2007, 03:28 AM
10-11 since the New Year. .500 ball will probably keep them in the playoffs but may drop them into the 7 slot.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
No way the Spurs won't exceed .500 the rest of the way. They should secure a 3, 4, or 5 seeding. The rodeo road trip was stacked with playoff teams this time. I didn't think the Spurs would even split this trip (I guessed 3-5).

If Dallas and PHX stay relatively healthy after the All-Star break, most people might say the Spurs would fare better in the 3-6, 2-7 bracket track to the conference Finals. However, if you look at the potential matchups...the Spurs would have trouble with any seed above the 7 and 8 seeds, as they stand today.

Budkin
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I'll officially begin touting the "we're done" line after the trade deadline comes and goes with no activity. Until then I'm holding out hope.

td4mvp21
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I'll officially begin touting the "we're done" line after the trade deadline comes and goes with no activity. Until then I'm holding out hope.

Well even if there is no trade, this team isn't going down without a fight in the playoffs. We can at least expect them to give 110%.

angel_luv
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM

:smokin
Go Spurs. Keep pounding it with bloody stumps.

Oh my gosh- that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Word to infinity!

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Well even if there is no trade, this team isn't going down without a fight in the playoffs. We can at least expect them to give 110%.

I have lowered my expectations. Just like I no longer believe that Robert Horry will magically turn it on in the playoffs (let down last year), I no longer assume the Spurs will magically get their shit together when it counts...because it counts now too!

I'm not saying it won't happen, just saying I'll believe it when I see it.

And without a trade, I give the Spurs almost no chance to win it all....too many teams got better and the Spurs didn't.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I suppose that if you wanted to take an optimistic look at the end game for the Spurs there's some basis for doing so because the schedule does lighten up a bit, in theory anyway, after the break.

The Spurs play 17 of their last 29 at home. Of their 12 road games, 1 is Atlanta and another is at Memphis in the last week of the regular season. They also play at least 18 of those last 29 against teams that will be under .500 at the All-Star Break, including 3 with Seattle, 2 with Portland, Sacramento, and Golden State.

Of the 11 games against teams with winning records, the majority are home games (home 2x for DEN, 1x for DET, UTH, PNX, TOR, ORL, IND). The road games against teams over .500 are at HOU (2nd night of an ORL/@HOU back-to-back), IND, DAL (1st night of an @DAL/@MEM back-to-back).

Perhaps more importantly, the Spurs only have 5 sets of back-to-backs left after the break, with no back-to-backs between March 5-6 (@LAC, @PRT) and April 15-16 (@DAL, @MEM).

One could argue that the schedule sets up nicely -- though with the way this team has dealt with inferior teams, that's hardly a sure thing. And, perhaps more importantly, even if the schedule allows the Spurs to make a nice run after the break, there's the possibility that another gaudy record could be fool's gold. Still, with that record, the chances of falling much further in the conference (barring significant injuries or a complete mutiny) seem rather small.

boutons_
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
'10-11 since the New Year."

understating it.

On Dec 20, Spurs were first to 20 W and had best NBA record of 20-6.

Then the wheels came off, went 13-12, to be 33 - 18 today. An amazing collapse.

cheguevara
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Comeon, we all knew on game #2 of this season back in november, when we lost to the Cavs at home opener that something was really, really wrong.

It's just been more of the same after that until today.

the only good thing is that today I don't get all upset when we get beat by mavs, today I shrug off a defeat to the Bobcats.

txallstar
02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
just time to accept the cold hard fact, this team wont get it done this year. outside the big 3, spurs suck. they are playing hard, just old and not very athletic. bowen, horry(walking stick), finley, barry, beno(not old but sucks), oberto(see horry), vaughn, doesnt exactly scare you. i cringe when bowen tries to drive to the basket, no use in camping out on the perimeter he cant hit anymore.

unless tmt, score 35 each a night and pull in 10-12 boards each, it's over.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
There weren't many inferior teams on this road trip FWD.

Even with their record, I didn't look at Miami as inferior to the Spurs going into Sunday's game. They have Shaq back and they added Eddie Jones. Eddie played extremely well versus the Spurs in the Memphis game and he was the main guy who spurred the 17-1 run in the 2nd half. He helped cause the 4th quarter shut-down defensively.

D-Wade just did what he did in Games 3-6 versus Dallas in the Finals.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
unless tmt, score 35 each a night and pull in 10-12 boards each, it's over.

Love it man, love it. I can hear it now...

T-M-T, DYNOMITE!

bdictjames
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
The best three-man combo in the league has spoken. We Spurs fans should not give up.

GO SPURS GO!

td4mvp21
02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I have lowered my expectations. Just like I no longer believe that Robert Horry will magically turn it on in the playoffs (let down last year), I no longer assume the Spurs will magically get their shit together when it counts...because it counts now too!

I'm not saying it won't happen, just saying I'll believe it when I see it.

And without a trade, I give the Spurs almost no chance to win it all....too many teams got better and the Spurs didn't.
That's not what I'm saying, even if we don't ever get it together, the team will still give 110% effort in the playoffs. So it's not like they are just gonna lose to go home early.

VaSpursFan
02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Comeon, we all knew on game #2 of this season back in november, when we lost to the Cavs at home opener that something was really, really wrong.

It's just been more of the same after that until today.

the only good thing is that today I don't get all upset when we get beat by mavs, today I shrug off a defeat to the Bobcats.

i have to agree with this. i felt the same way. i'm also no longer too emotionally invested in each game so when they lose I can handle it. come playoff time, i'll be a wreck.

SpurYank
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
There are other factors in these losses that we aren't taking into account: 1. Miami hasn't shot 57% more than a couple of times this year. 2. Kapono won't get a total of 11 rebounds in any 4 or 5 games bunched together. 3. Shaq completely deflated TD with his aggressive pushing, shoving, elbowing, and daring the refs to call a foul in their home court. He did the same to Oberto. Tim was completely depressed about those non-calls. What he should have done is what a Kobe, Garnett or some other emotional player does, get pissed and aggressive himself, something he has never done and never will. Barry said it best, Howard nor the Magic will win a game like that in 10 to 15 years.

The Spurs CAN BE the Spurs we saw in Washington and for the most part in Orlando and Miami. The players will tell you: They haven't given up even though their fans have.

I look at this way: Hah! Got where we wan'em. Overconfident! Come April, we'll make our move!

Hey! Gotta be be positive. If it doesn't pan out, we'll wait till next year.

It's still only a game. There are much more serious things occurring around the world.

MoSpur
02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
If they're still playing like this in the middle of March then I am going to get really worried. Right now, I'm not that worried.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
There weren't many inferior teams on this road trip FWD.

Even with their record, I didn't look at Miami as inferior to the Spurs going into Sunday's game. They have Shaq back and they added Eddie Jones. Eddie played extremely well versus the Spurs in the Memphis game and he was the main guy who spurred the 17-1 run in the 2nd half. He helped cause the 4th quarter shut-down defensively.

D-Wade just did what he did in Games 3-6 versus Dallas in the Finals.

I wasn't really talking about this RRT, and I suppose that with a moment to reflect on my statement, I'm not sure entirely what I meant by my statement concerning "inferior teams."

Ultimately, the point that I was trying to make is that the schedule is pretty favorable after Wednesday, so if the Spurs are going to get on one of those end-of-season runs that might propel them into the playoffs, it's there for them to do it -- at least recordwise.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I wasn't really talking about this RRT, and I suppose that with a moment to reflect on my statement, I'm not sure entirely what I meant by my statement concerning "inferior teams."

Ultimately, the point that I was trying to make is that the schedule is pretty favorable after Wednesday, so if the Spurs are going to get on one of those end-of-season runs that might propel them into the playoffs, it's there for them to do it -- at least recordwise.

I totally agree with you on your primary point!

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
That's not what I'm saying, even if we don't ever get it together, the team will still give 110% effort in the playoffs. So it's not like they are just gonna lose to go home early.

I hear what you're saying...

What I'm saying is that I don't believe every Spur is giving 110% now, and I don't automatically assume everyone will give 110% when playoffs come around, like someone flipped the switch. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm saying I don't count on it happening.

What I would like to see is every Spur giving 110% now, and that effort becoming habitual so that it's not even a question of whether or not they'll "flip the switch".

Bottom Line: The "light" should already be on!

td4mvp21
02-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I hear what you're saying...

What I'm saying is that I don't believe every Spur is giving 110% now, and I don't automatically assume everyone will give 110% when playoffs come around, like someone flipped the switch. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm saying I don't count on it happening.

What I would like to see is every Spur giving 110% now, and that effort becoming habitual so that it's not even a question of whether or not they'll "flip the switch".

Bottom Line: The "light" should already be on!
Yeah, well maybe just the Big Three and Bowen :lol.

Pop OFits
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't know.....but when we get home from this road trip, I'm thinking of toilet-papering Brent's house.....with Charmin.

CaptainLate
02-13-2007, 01:58 PM
...Why should a fan go out and buy a ticket with responses like this? Uncharted waters?

The Spurs act like they can just show up half the time and win something.... When is ownership going to hold the administration accountable???? When it effects the box office.

If the fans should ever wake up to see the FO screw up of drafting euro players and keeping them overseas (because ownership is to cheap to bring in youth around Duncan), then maybe a boycott of games to send Holt, et al., a message will have an effect.

Looking at the title teams over the last 20 years, the only ones with a superstar C or PF were Lakers (and they had Magic), Rockets and Spurs (Shaq with Heat needed Wade). All others had superstar PG, SG or SF. Unless Parker can hit a pick and roll jumper (like KJ, Kevin Johnson, could), he is no good to us. Trade him for a superstar PG, SG or SF. That's the trend these days.

T Park
02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Its hard to describe the feelings for this team.

Its hard to get mad at them for trying, when they aren't really that good.

Bonner coming back will help, but how much?

You want to give up on Horry, but then again, Horry looked like this two years ago.

You want to say Finley is shit, but again, fucker did it last year and stepped up huge in the playoffs.

I don't know.

I can't say its the worst team, cause IMO, the 01 02 team was worse than this.

T Park
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
So trade Parker before he develops that shot.

Got it.