PDA

View Full Version : Is there a rift occurring between Pop and Tim?

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 12:18 AM
I saw on WOAI Sports tonight that Tim Duncan had issued a statement in response to the tongue-lashing the team received from Pop on national television yesterday.

It didn't call Pop an asshole or anything.

But I can't recall a time ever before when Tim would issue a statement that took issue with Pop.

It was fairly mild--just said that the team was in fact making efforts--this was in response to Pop's statement that the team is both mentally and physically soft.

Kori--your read of the thing--is this a non-story just getting blown out of proportion or is this something to watch?

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Tim Duncan "issued a statement"?

Or they just asked Tim a question about what Pop said?

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Are you just talking about this?

Asked if he agreed with Popovich's "too soft" assessment, Duncan said, "It's all in definition."

"I think we're playing hard," he added. "I don't think anyone's slacking off, and that's where it starts."

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
What does "issue a statement" mean?

Well, imo... it could be just talking, writing a letter, or just communicating... so he issued a statement.

He is tired of losing, he is pissed about his surroundings... you could see it yesterday.. he gave up.

td4mvp21
02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
This could get ugly.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM

He is tired of losing, he is pissed about his surroundings... you could see it yesterday.. he gave up.

But that's not what the thread starter is saying (I don't think).

He's saying Pop called the team soft and that Duncan issued some sort of statement going against Pop on that.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM
This could get ugly.

:lol

spurtime
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
This is what happens when teams lose. We've won for so long we've forgotten.

There is blame to go around everywhere. Coaching mistakes, bad personnel decisions over the last couple of years, a distinct lack of effort by our players lately...It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

picnroll
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
The team sucks, maybe the worst since Duncan arrived, and Pop hasn't realized it or accepted it or won't admit it. Pop shoould lay the balem at himself, RC and Presti. Five years with zero to show for it in the way of young talent drafted or traded for.

leemajors
02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
The team sucks, maybe the worst since Duncan arrived, and Pop hasn't realized it or accepted it or won't admit it. Pop shoould lay the balem at himself, RC and Presti. Five years with zero to show for it in the way of young talent drafted or traded for.

pile that balem on, and maybe he'll take notice!

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
This was not an interview. Nor did Don Harris make attribution to another media source, i.e., "Tim was quoted by the New York daily News, etc).

WOAI had a written statement--so it made the appearance that Duncan issued this to the media as a whole rather than to one specific reporter.

Maybe they will have a link in the morning to the segment on WOAI that aired tonight.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:37 AM
The news didn't blow anything out of proportion and it's a complete non-story just blown out of proportion by the thread starter.

I just re-watched the news, they just showed a clip of Pop calling the team soft. And then said Tim was asked about it and said ...

"I think we are playing hard. It's all about how it's defined. I don't think anyone is slacking off and that's where it starts. I think everyone is out there giving the effort."

WOAI had a written statement--so it made the appearance that Duncan issued this to the media as a whole rather than to one specific reporter.

It was just Duncan's answer to a question after game/practice. WOAI typed it up and put the words on the screen. Duncan didn't issue any written statement to the media or anything. I just don't get how you translated any of it to a rift between Pop and Duncan :wtf

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:38 AM
KSAT aired duncan saying it tonight.... It was Greg Simmons breaking news...

Hey... anybody like the guy on Channel 5? He also does some feedback on KISS in the mornings... the dude is hilarious.

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Either way--

Time for Pop to lay off the criticism stuff for a while.

He loses Duncan's support and he will be peddling hotdogs in the AT&T Arena next year.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Either way--

He loses Duncan's support and he will be peddling hotdogs in the AT&T Arena next year.

I don't get how/why you think that he is or could be losing Duncan's support. :wtf They asked Duncan if he thinks Pop's calling the Spurs soft is accurate and Duncan just basically said it depends on how you define it but he thinks they are playing hard.

leemajors
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Either way--

well maybe if the spurs would make a habit of showing up and playing, he wouldn't have reason to criticize.

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't get the softness speeches. Doesn't Pop also say that there is no next level/gear, these guys are professionals and that's what they do night in and night.
I know I've heard him say that.

Also, they need to practice. They need to develop White and Butler into something they need.

SpursFanFirst
02-13-2007, 12:44 AM
I agree...I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2007, 12:46 AM
We're starting to see the same thing we saw from Duncan a few years back when LA was waxing us in the playoffs and Pop kept running the same tired ass 4down play for all of every fourth quarter while the Lakers openly mocked Pop's play calls (Horry was one of them).

Sad that we're back where we were that year - a bunch of rickity old codgers that Pop has fallen in love with the 10 year ago games of that can't do shit and are too slow to play D.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
We're starting to see the same thing we saw from Duncan a few years back when LA was waxing us in the playoffs and Pop kept running the same tired ass 4down play for all of every fourth quarter while the Lakers openly mocked Pop's play calls (Horry was one of them).

Sad that we're back where we were that year - a bunch of rickity old codgers that Pop has fallen in love with the 10 year ago games of that can't do shit and are too slow to play D.

:wtf

What does that have to do with this thread?

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 12:48 AM
The news didn't blow anything out of proportion and it's a complete non-story just blown out of proportion by the thread starter.

I just re-watched the news, they just showed a clip of Pop calling the team soft. And then said Tim was asked about it and said ...

"I think we are playing hard. It's all about how it's defined. I don't think anyone is slacking off and that's where it starts. I think everyone is out there giving the effort."

It was just Duncan's answer to a question after game/practice. WOAI typed it up and put the words on the screen. Duncan didn't issue any written statement to the media or anything. I just don't get how you translated any of it to a rift between Pop and Duncan :wtf

Kori--

This is the second God Dam time you make that fucking statement about me and I am really pissed at you for it.

A few weeks ago, WOAI had a story that quoted Horry stating that Pop told them they were not going to make any trades.

I reported this and you made the same blanket bullshit criticism of me.

Of course--the next day--it was all over the media, both locally and nationally.

Tonight--WOAI featured this in its newscast--they had a written statement with the appearance that Duncan had issued a statement.

Did they call him and get a quote that they simply typed?

Could be.

That's not the appearance.

But the fact is that I also questioned whether this was something to be concerned about.

And you come here and shit on me like the last time.

Lady--I'm just the messenger.

Get off your god dam high horse. Your opinion is no better than anyone else who writes here.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:50 AM
:lol

Even if Duncan issued a statement on paper, what does this statement say that would conclude you to think there may be a rift between Duncan and Pop ...

"I think we are playing hard. It's all about how it (soft) is defined. I don't think anyone is slacking off and that's where it starts. I think everyone is out there giving the effort."

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
If I need info, I would listen to Duncan. 90% of communication is body language and from what I was reading, he was saying, my teammates ain't shit and I'm tired.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
For what it's worth, it's not in Tim Duncan's character to come out and make a comment like that. When it was obviously in connection with Pops earlier statement. That's about as close to a 'rift' as there ever was or probably will be between Pop and Tim.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
For what it's worth, it's not in Tim Duncan's character to come out and make a comment like that. When it was obviously in connection with Pops earlier statement. That's about as close to a 'rift' as there ever was or probably will be between Pop and Tim.

A comment like what?

picnroll
02-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I sure as hell hope Duncan's putting some heat on Pop. Nothing else seems to make management do anything about the fact that this team only has three players worth a damn.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 12:59 AM
A comment like what?

Which contradicts (in his own way) what Pop said?

Pop said the team was soft. Duncan basically said "I don't think so". Not saying that's a rift...just saying that's about as much of a 'rift' you'll see between Pop and Duncan.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Which contradicts (in his own way) what Pop said?

Pop said the team was soft. Duncan basically said "I don't think so". Not saying that's a rift...just saying that's about as much of a 'rift' you'll see between Pop and Duncan.

Actually I think Duncan was agreeing with Pop. He just isn't going to call his own teammates soft. He basically said that it depends on how you define soft and that he thinks his teammates are trying (but they just aren't cutting it).

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Actually I think Duncan was agreeing with Pop. He just isn't going to call his own teammates soft. He basically said that it depends on how you define soft and that he thinks his teammates are trying (but they just aren't cutting it).

Maybe. It's probably easier to tell from the voice clip.

But from text, it seems like Duncan makes a point of using the word 'hard' to describe the spurs play. Hard, of course being the exact opposite of soft. Which is the word Pop used to describe the team. Could be Tim's way of indirectly disagreeing with Pop.

Either way. It's not a big deal. Definately not a 'rift'.

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Duncan is the one playing soft. i think

Lady Marmalade
02-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Did someone really make a thread about this? WOW.

Pistons < Spurs
02-13-2007, 02:23 AM
:lmao @ this thread.

just change the title to:

Mountains out of Mole Hills

The day there's a true 'rift' between Duncan and Pop is the day I'll wear a D Wade jersey.

A few disappointing losses, and some uncharacteristic play is causing alot of overreaction.

Tomorrow night you all will beat the Nets. Someone will have a standout game, and all this will be forgotten.

Of course on Wednesday, (I hope) you all will lose to the Pistons and we'll all end up in the exact same place we are now!! LOL

johnpaulwall21
02-13-2007, 02:37 AM
AWWW SH*TTT!!!!! POP is hangin in there barely with the sh*tty coaching cause tim likes him, but if him and duncan ever have controversy then POP will be easily terminated. I think duncan was a little mad from this statement by pop cause hes a selfless team player that wants all his teamates to do good, be happy and not get bashed.

milkyway21
02-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Either way--

He loses Duncan's support and he will be peddling hotdogs in the AT&T Arena next year.:lmao

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Project much?

exstatic
02-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Even the closest of friends aren't on the same page about everything every time...

mavsfan1000
02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Gee I don't know how Tim and Pop are going to overcome these tongue lashings. :lol

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 07:26 AM
If Pop is angry on Tim that means TP, Manu and Filey will take over 50 shots per game.

Rogbok
02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
I do not see this as a rift at all. I think Pop is referring to "soft" in the aspects of not handling physical play very well and thus not banging as much for the rebounds. That is why TD stated that it depends on your definition of soft because some can interpret soft as not giving effort and so he is clearly just clearing up that it is not that the effort is not there.

*shrugs*

I agree that this is really a non-issue and there is no rift forming or there.

angel_luv
02-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Hmm. I find it intriguing the different ways people interpreted the same statement.
When I read it, I thought Timmy was disagreeing with Pop about the team being soft.
I had pretty much the same conclusion as Please don't ban me...

But from text, it seems like Duncan makes a point of using the word 'hard' to describe the spurs play. Hard, of course being the exact opposite of soft. Which is the word Pop used to describe the team. Could be Tim's way of indirectly disagreeing with Pop.

That is what I think Timmy meant. Of course maybe I projecting my opinion onto Timmy's; perhaps Kori's interpretation is more accurate.
Or vice versa.

At the very least, interesting read.

GoSpurs21
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
If I need info, I would listen to Duncan. 90% of communication is body language and from what I was reading, he was saying, my teammates ain't shit and I'm tired.For the money Duncan is making he should never be quitting on his teammates. My impression is Tim has lost his passion for winning, and his teammates are following his lead. Isnt one of the reasons people think Tim is so great is that he makes his teammates better, all I see right now is Tim taking forever to make a decision and turning the ball over way to much.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
:lmao @ this thread.

just change the title to:

Mountains out of Mole Hills

The day there's a true 'rift' between Duncan and Pop is the day I'll wear a D Wade jersey.

LOL
:lol yeah, looking at the title, and glancing at it while reading the actual context of some posts. It makes me laugh.

Hilarious. All from that little statement.

Budkin
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The Spurs are not soft, they just aren't all that good as a team.

cheguevara
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Tim Duncan should just come out and say. Pop is senile and needs to get his shit straight. and small ball sucks!!!!!!!!!

duncan228
02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Much ado about nothing. This team has bigger things to focus on. He answered a reporter. The spin put on it is out of his control. I'm certain they don't care, why should I? From what I've gathered over the years Duncan and Pop have one of the best relationships in the League. I would think they can communicate with each other without the bullshit of going through reporters.
Just my opinion.

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2007, 01:13 PM
last season 63 win with one leg td

this season a fully rejuvenated td = worst season so far for his career....

its time to pull the trade now.

KB24
02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Kori--

This is the second God Dam time you make that fucking statement about me and I am really pissed at you for it.

A few weeks ago, WOAI had a story that quoted Horry stating that Pop told them they were not going to make any trades.

I reported this and you made the same blanket bullshit criticism of me.

Of course--the next day--it was all over the media, both locally and nationally.

Tonight--WOAI featured this in its newscast--they had a written statement with the appearance that Duncan had issued a statement.

Did they call him and get a quote that they simply typed?

Could be.

That's not the appearance.

But the fact is that I also questioned whether this was something to be concerned about.

And you come here and shit on me like the last time.

Lady--I'm just the messenger.

Get off your god dam high horse. Your opinion is no better than anyone else who writes here.

Dude Kori controls this ship. Just deal with it.

BACK to reality SPURS FANS.

SPURS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!