PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Michael Finley ever mentioned in trade rumors?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
It's alway Udirh / Oberto / Barry.

I know Fins contract is huge. But Dallas is paying most of it. Is there some sort of clause where if the Spurs trade him the team that gets him has to pay more of his salary? Not saying I'd like to see him traded. Just curious why his name isn't mentioned more often.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Because he hasn't played well and he isn't young, so there probably aren't many teams who would be interested.

Though Barry is old, he is shooting extremely well, so that might lead teams to want him.
Beno is young, so that might lead teams to want him.

Patrick Davis
02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Also the Spurs like to stick it to the Mavs, We got a player you're paying for.

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2007, 01:05 AM

I know Fins contract is huge. But Dallas is paying most of it. Is there some sort of clause where if the Spurs trade him the team that gets him has to pay more of his salary? Not saying I'd like to see him traded. Just curious why his name isn't mentioned more often.

If we trade him, and do win, see how easy it will be to get a veteran to play for cheaper

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
finley is not the reason the spurs are losing.

ro_50
02-13-2007, 02:05 AM

I'm confused, from reading your post, are you stating the Finley has a big contract. He's not playing on the Spurs w/ the contract he had w/ the Mavs, Dallas is on the hook for that still.

midgetonadonkey
02-13-2007, 02:12 AM

Yes he is. Had they never signed him, they would've needed another wing player and would've probably tried to get a young one. He can't hit a shot, or play D so yes, he is the reason they are losing.

Udrihlooms
02-13-2007, 02:21 AM
why is not finley ever mentioned in trade?

let me guess... nobody wants him?

i don't think that DAL will even take him back even if we commit to reimburse all of Finley's cost plus some more cash, esp. if there's a condition that he should be in the rotation...

SenorSpur
02-13-2007, 02:30 AM
why is not finley ever mentioned in trade?

let me guess... nobody wants him?

i don't think that DAL will even take him back even if we commit to reimburse all of Finley's cost plus some more cash, esp. if there's a condition that he should be in the rotation...

Exactly.

johnpaulwall21
02-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Finley was good in the playoffs last year. He showed up, and he aint the problem. the problem is rebounding and the bigs. Horry, oberto, elson put together cant even help duncan do shit. I could probably score at will against that trio.

MannyIsGod
02-13-2007, 03:34 AM
His contract is the reason he's never mentioned. He's not making shit, so you can't get shit back.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm confused, from reading your post, are you stating the Finley has a big contract. He's not playing on the Spurs w/ the contract he had w/ the Mavs, Dallas is on the hook for that still.

I was just asking if the contract he signed with the Spurs had some sort of a clause. The year he got out of Dallas it was on an exception, so I thought MAYBE there was some clause in the exception where if the Spurs got rid of him the team getting him would have to pay more (or all) of his original salary in Dallas.

Don't think that's the case though.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-13-2007, 04:57 AM
His contract is the reason he's never mentioned. He's not making shit, so you can't get shit back.

Wouldn't a quality player with a low salary be attractive to some teams though?

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 04:58 AM
No, Finley's current contract with the Spurs is all a new team would have to pay.

MannyIsGod
02-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Wouldn't a quality player with a low salary be attractive to some teams though?Yeah, but what kind of talent are you going to get back for with low contracts? No one is going to give up youth for Finley, and rookie contracts are the only contracts you are going to see where the quality or promise of a player aligns with low dollar amounts.

Barry and Finley are about the same right now, but Barry has a bigger contract which makes him a more "tradeable" asset because its easier to work trades around him.

Besides, what trade rumors do you ever hear that aren't anything more than some sports writer thinking outloud? The only one I can think of this year is the Magette deal. There probably are talks that involve Finley, but I doubt they ever become serious or the public ever hears about them. It isnt' like he's untradeable.

Dalhoop
02-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Finley could be a throw-in in a deal, but for the money that he is making ... there just are not many players making that low of contract and still be productive on the floor ... Except for, as stated, the rookie contracts. Nobody is going to trade a rookie that could turn into something, for a player that wont even be around in a few years.

His contract is so low that it doesn't even have "expire appear"

Bruno
02-13-2007, 07:17 AM

I quite disagree with that, package him with Williams and you can get a player paid $9M per year.

A reason why Finley isn't mentioned in trade rumors is that his trade value is quite low and Spurs have no reason to trade him because his contract isn't big enough to hurt them.

before the trade deadline, I put players in 3 categories :

Won't be traded : Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Bowen.

Won't be traded unless other teams want them : Vaughn, White, Finley, Horry, Bonner and Elson.

On the trading block : Udrih, Barry, Williams, Oberto and Butler.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Because Spurs think his time will come in the playoffs. Just like they tought that he will start playing great with the old ball. The old ball is back for 2+ months and he still sucks, just like Obero and Beno.

ploto
02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I think Finley might actually have some sort of trade kicker or something else he wanted in there when he agreed to sign with the Spurs.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 08:35 AM

he is so useless ,that we can´t even use him as a trade.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I quite disagree with that, package him with Williams and you can get a player paid $9M per year.

A reason why Finley isn't mentioned in trade rumors is that his trade value is quite low and Spurs have no reason to trade him because his contract isn't big enough to hurt them.

before the trade deadline, I put players in 3 categories :

Won't be traded : Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Bowen.

Won't be traded unless other teams want them : Vaughn, White, Finley, Horry, Bonner and Elson.

On the trading block : Udrih, Barry, Williams, Oberto and Butler.

You think Barry is on the block? I wouldn't think the Spurs were opposed to trading him, especially for a talent like Maggette, but I'm not sure if he's openly being shopped. I agree with everything else.

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Also the Spurs like to stick it to the Mavs, We got a player you're paying for.

best money Cuban ever spent... :lol

dg7md
02-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Our MAIN problem is lack of productivity from the backup PG spot (inconsistency) and no real quality centers. Elson and Oberto are good second-third stringers, but the two aren't quality starters.

Ariel
02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Because whether you like his current play or not, fact is he took way below market value at the time to play the Spurs specifically, and the Spurs alone. Trading him could arguably be considered a slap in the face, given the original terms of his signing, whether explicit or implicit. Now granted, that moral obligation has lessened with the mere passing of time, since he'd have played most his contract with the team he signed even if he's traded immediately. But point remains, the negative consequences from trading him concerning future free agency signings for a small market franchise that is not a traditionally a hot FA destination could potentially far outweigh the benefits. So, unless you can get something that is a significant improvement, we might be better off standing pat. And for the same reasons some here are so keen on ridding ourselves of him, it's unlikely franchises are lining up with offers. So though you might wish what you please, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to happen.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Because whether you like his current play or not, fact is he took way below market value at the time to play the Spurs specifically, and the Spurs alone. Trading him could arguably be considered a slap in the face, given the original terms of his signing, whether explicit or implicit. Now granted, that moral obligation has lessened with the mere passing of time, since he'd have played most his contract with the team he signed even if he's traded immediately. But point remains, the negative consequences from trading him concerning future free agency signings for a small market franchise that is not a traditionally a hot FA destination could potentially far outweigh the benefits. So, unless you can get something that is a significant improvement, we might be better off standing pat. And for the same reasons some here are so keen on ridding ourselves of him, it's unlikely franchises are lining up with offers. So though you might wish what you please, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to happen.

What finley is doing in SA could be considered a slap on the face as well,TO THE SPURS FANS,of course.
And who cares about Finley´s fellings anyways?so,basically you´re saying that the spurs should reather give up a championship run this year in order of¨ not hurting¨ Finley´s feeling?
what about spurs fans feelings Ainstain? :donkey

Bruno
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
You think Barry is on the block? I wouldn't think the Spurs were opposed to trading him, especially for a talent like Maggette, but I'm not sure if he's openly being shopped.

Not openly being shopped ? :rolleyes
It's not like Barry is the name who came 90% of the time when there are trade rumors about Spurs.

They won't give him for nothing but I really think that they will shop him to teams for a more athletic SG/SF.

Barry trade value is at an all time high level, it's the moment for SA to trade him for a disgruntled player like Maggette (buy low, sell high).

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
by the way,wellcome to spurstalk.com

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
It's not like Barry is the name who came 90% of the time when there are trade rumors about Spurs.

They won't give him for nothing but I really think that they will shop him to teams for a more athletic SG/SF.

Barry trade value is at an all time high level, it's the moment for SA to trade him for a disgruntled player like Maggette (buy low, sell high).

if spurs can trade barry for a -30 ys old player who can av.10ppg could be the deal of the year for the SA cheap FO.
I hope they can trede him before Barry gets too old though.

Gros Membres!
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
See I think he is the reason the Spurs are losing. His one strength is funneling defenders baseline and in the past that would have worked. However, with no weakside help (Oberto/Elson) Tim has to play cautious which results in easy baskets come 4th quarter. Which is why you see, imho, Spurs giving up 2nd half leads consistently this year (don't believe me? See the Heat game as the latest example).

I have always believed the Finley signing would sink us until he retired. We cannot get rid of him because he is no longer a tradeable asset. He is cheap, however, due to the Dallas situation. Unfortunately, Finley has not displayed a killer instinct and has yet to prove his worth to this team. In games vs. Dallas, Finley lacks the killer instict.

Personally, I would like to see him gone and rely on Barry. Barry and Finley are a lot of the same guy to me - unathletic, jump shooter with maybe a move or two around the basket. Period. The best days are behind them and they're greatest contributions are shooting free throws and techs. Not so good when they can't draw any fouls, wouldn't you say?

The reason we'll never let Finley go is because it would do terrible things for our reputation. I absolutely loathe this attitude. I see it as the seed for where the team is at right now, with it's hands tied behind its back with complacency. I honestly cannot see any other reason why we keep Finley around (besides the buzzer beater vs. LA, fine). The guy has not proved his worth and does not have the legs to keep up. I say...

TRADE HIS A$$.

Ariel
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
What finley is doing in SA could be considered a slap on the face as well,TO THE SPURS FANS,of course.
And who cares about Finley´s fellings anyways?so,basically you´re saying that the spurs should reather give up a championship run this year in order of not hurting Finley´s feeling?
Now, you might have had a point if his current play were solely due to poor work ethic, (a la Jackie Butler), but in no way can you portray the situation as a slap in the face on his part: he's an excellent professional, his attitude is flawless, the willingness and effort are there; if his legs are not, it's not because he doesn't want them too, it's just out of his control. Players not delivering is liable to happen.

Besides, I think you might want to adjust your expectations according to reality: he costs the Spurs what only scrubs make (besides rookie scale deals), and with that in mind I don't think he's underperforming quite as badly as people make it seem. Expectations might have been higher, sure, but that's mostly our problem, not his. And though admittedly he's been a disappointment, I don't think he's reached the point you people claim he has.

And last but not least, if you feel that "What finley is doing in SA could be considered a slap on the face as well,TO THE SPURS FANS,of course", then how is it you conclude I'm saying "the spurs should reather give up a championship run this year in order of not hurting Finley´s feeling?"?

How is it someone worthless can reasonably get you a fate altering player in return? Isn't that inherently contradictory?

what about spurs fans feelings Ainstain? :donkey
:lol

I'll let you know as soon as I figure who Ainstain is, Mr. Basketball.

Next time you want to call me a dunce, remember what happened the last time our paths crossed on a Spurs' board. I don't think you want to follow that same road in this board too, and honestly I'm not in the mood either. So don't push it, alright?

sammy
02-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Because he sucks!

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Now, you might have had a point if his current play were solely due to poor work ethic, (a la Jackie Butler), but in no way can you portray the situation as a slap in the face on his part: he's an excellent professional, his attitude is flawless, the willingness and effort are there; if his legs are not, it's not because he doesn't want them too, it's just out of his control. Players not delivering is liable to happen.

Besides, I think you might want to adjust your expectations according to reality: he costs the Spurs what only scrubs make (besides rookie scale deals), and with that in mind I don't think he's underperforming quite as badly as people make it seem. Expectations might have been higher, sure, but that's mostly our problem, not his. And though admittedly he's been a disappointment, I don't think he's reached the point you people claim he has.

And last but not least, if you feel that "What finley is doing in SA could be considered a slap on the face as well,TO THE SPURS FANS,of course", then how is it you conclude I'm saying "the spurs should reather give up a championship run this year in order of not hurting Finley´s feeling?"?

How is it someone worthless can reasonably get you a fate altering player in return? Isn't that inherently contradictory?

:lol

I'll let you know as soon as I figure who Ainstain is, Mr. Basketball.

Next time you want to call me a dunce, remember what happened the last time our paths crossed on a Spurs' board. I don't think you want to follow that same road in this board too, and honestly I'm not in the mood either. So don't push it, alright?

I didn´t know Finley had a new agent.
BTW.change that C.A.I avatar LOSER(hehehe) :lol
saludos de parte de la gente de colon de sta fe.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
and,who cares if finley has a poor or great work athic,Ijust go by for what I see on the floor.(nothing but crap from him)

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Finley might actually have some sort of trade kicker or something else he wanted in there when he agreed to sign with the Spurs.

It doesn't look like he has a kicker. Barry does though.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Okay, we're not in total disagreement here....I'm sure the Spurs would bite on a deal involving Barry if a talent like Maggette were involved...and they should.

But, when Pop spoke a few weeks ago he said that none of the starters and likely no one in the 6,7, or 8 range would get moved, I assumed that meant Barry.

I guess we'll see how anxious they are to deal him for a "scorer" in the next few days....

I'm excited and cautiously optomistic about the Spurs making a deal, but if they don't.....

:pctoss to :drunk to :ihit to :depressed to :rolleyes and finally back to :wakeup

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:21 AM
It doesn't look like he has a kicker. Barry does though.

Barry does? What are the details?