View Full Version : Kidd may be out for game against Spurs

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 09:28 AM
This is from New York News Newspaper:

Kidd's back is hurting

Might sit vs. Spurs

BY MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Back may keep Jason Kidd from taking on Tony Parker.

Here's how Jason Kidd prepared for his showdown tonight at the Meadowlands against fellow All-Star Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs: He had his injured back worked on by a chiropractor.
As if the Nets don't already have enough problems with long-term injuries to Nenad Krstic and Richard Jefferson, they are looking at undoubtedly their worst-case scenario when Tim Duncan makes his lone appearance of the season in New Jersey. For the first time this season, the Nets could have to play without Kidd.

How bad is it? Kidd wasn't available yesterday to answer that question, so no one knows if this means he'll be out both tonight and tomorrow night against the Raptors in a critical Atlantic Division showdown in Toronto. "It's been hurting him the last couple of games," Lawrence Frank said after practice. "Then it was really hurting him against Orlando (Saturday night)."

Kidd, who had a minor back problem earlier this season, made no mention of the injury Saturday night after the Nets' third straight victory. That was the second game of a back-to-back set, with travel.

Although he is listed as "questionable," the injury appears significant because Kidd had to have treatment for several hours Sunday, followed up by yesterday's session. Frank said the team has not run any other tests and chose not to specify the nature of the injury.

"We'll wait and see how he feels" regarding tonight's game, Frank said.

Without Krstic and Jefferson, the Nets have been a shell of themselves in posting a 25-27 record. Currently, they sit 2-1/2 games behind surprising Toronto in the Atlantic and trail eighth-place Miami by a half-game in the Eastern Conference playoff race. And if they don't have their leader tonight, the struggle becomes even tougher.

"That's what this season has been - survival," said Kidd's fellow All-Star, Vince Carter. "You just keep playing through good and bad times and don't worry about what other people have to say. Just remain consistent and keep playing hard. And we just need each guy to step up and give us a little more, if they can."

If Kidd is out, rookie Marcus Williams will have to make his first pro start - against the fleet Parker, no less. Williams has been superb as a backup, including having his best game as a pro against the Magic, when he scored 12 points in the second half and led an early fourth-quarter run. But with Kidd, who turns 34 next month, logging 37 minutes a game, the UConn product has been averaging only 17 minutes.

"Marcus has done well and continues to learn," Frank said. "But you don't want to anoint someone. There's no doubt about his talent level and his work ethic has improved."

But Williams has made his mark at the offensive end only. Shaky as a defender, he figures to be severely tested by Parker, averaging 19 points per game on 53% shooting, even though the Spurs themselves have been struggling in recent games.

"He's going to have to continue to really put maximum effort forth to play on the other end," Frank said of Williams. "Because that's what makes someone like Jason Kidd special. They do it on both ends."

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Then Marcus Williams will kick our ass.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
YESSS!!!! Keep the Spurs in the hunt for top 4 spot...even if the wins lack substance.

romsho
02-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Expect a career high night for Marcus Williams.

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Worst part is that losing to Orlando and Miami--we missed a grand opportunity to start moving up after Phoenix lost to the Hawks and the Bulls.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Worst part is that losing to Orlando and Miami--we missed a grand opportunity to start moving up after Phoenix lost to the Hawks and the Bulls.

After those performances, the Spurs didn't deserve to move up in any standings..... :bang

The Spurs are healthy and the rotations are fixed...they are the model of stability. And still, they lose to inferior teams....I do not feel bad for the Spurs at all.

I just want them to prove me wrong and kick the everliving shit out of the Nets tonight w/o J-Kidd.

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 11:25 AM
They may not "deserve" anything.

But hell--in May--those extra couple of losses while Phoenix was also losing could mean a lot.

I was afraid this would happen to Nash--playing him so much in the regular season, he may be tanked by play off time.

But you know...

It just dawned on me.

Nah...

Wait...

Well--never mind. This thought is too crazy--EVEN FOR ME...

You don't think Pop is withholding Butler. Beno and White so that opponents in the playoffs won't know their tendencies, do you?

Nah--forget it--that's crazy...

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM

But hell--in May--those extra couple of losses while Phoenix was also losing could mean a lot.

I was afraid this would happen to Nash--playing him so much in the regular season, he may be tanked by play off time.

But you know...

It just dawned on me.

Nah...

Wait...

You don't think Pop is withholding Butler. Beno and White so that opponents in the playoffs won't know their tendencies, do you?

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Of course I was unbelievably hammered and :smokin

:lol

boutons_
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
"those extra couple of losses while Phoenix was also losing could mean a lot. "

No. Suns are not in our division, Suns are so far ahead of Spurs now that if we play the Suns, they will have HCA.

The last two Spurs losses mean nothing for Suns, but every loss counts towards Spurs finishing 4th to start with HCA, rather than 5th or 6th to start w/o HCA. The best the Spurs can do for HCA is to have HCA for the first round. If they get out of the first round, they won't have HCA for the 2nd and Finals rounds.

bdictjames
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!! I expect a 70-point effort from these folks.

Man In Black
02-13-2007, 01:13 PM

But you know...

It just dawned on me.

Nah...

Wait...

I had that theory about Cherokee Parks back in the day but since they got throttled by the Lakers that year, I can't tell you it was successfull. :cooldevil

Pistons < Spurs
02-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Kidd to miss next two games

Jason Kidd will miss the next two games for the New Jersey Nets with a strained lower back, and his status was uncertain for Sunday's NBA All-Star Game.

The All-Star point guard will be out for Tuesday's game against San Antonio and Wednesday's game in Toronto before the All-Star weekend in Las Vegas.

The Nets had no immediate information on whether Kidd would play for the East in the All-Star Game.

Kidd had played in all 52 games this season for the Nets (25-27), a feat matched only by guard Vince Carter, and has averaged 36.6 minutes.

Kidd had 10 points and nine rebounds Saturday as the Nets extended their winning streak to three by beating the Orlando Magic.

He was replaced late in the third quarter by Marcus Williams, who took control of the game, finishing with 12 points and seven assists. Kidd saw some action in the fourth quarter.

Kidd is averaging 14.3 points, eight rebounds and 8.7 assists this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2764157