PDA

View Full Version : Scariest team in the West for Spurs so far

Rummpd
11-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Hands down the Mavs - very deep with a fair center now, keep playing like they are; they would be a tough out in a 7 game series! Somehow though I think they will fall back again.

Any arguements on this? - Wolves only consideration in my view.

MadDoc :smokin :smokin

ducks
11-13-2004, 07:53 PM
mavs
do not use spam

they do the opposite

SpursFanInAustin
11-13-2004, 09:09 PM
mavs
do not use spam

they do the opposite

It's more like Mavs Plunge After March

Kori Ellis
11-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Dallas is playing well, but it's too small of a sample size to tell. With Finley hurt already, you never know. Other teams are playing very well too.

Utah has a +14.8 point differential and they don't even have a healthy point guard.

timvp
11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
The Suns in the first round would be a nightmare for the Spurs.

ducks
11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
tp has went off on nash when he was a mav
I would rather spurs face utah,grivs, and maybe the lakers before suns though in the first round

Jimcs50
11-13-2004, 10:29 PM
The Suns in the first round would be a nightmare for the Spurs.

No way do SA and Phoenix hook up in 1st round. As I predicted, the Suns will win the Pacific division and therefore not be in Spurs bracket til the 2nd round or 3rd round.

JFK
11-13-2004, 10:59 PM
wait for attrition to take its course :)

ChumpDumper
11-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Utah.

That team is scary good already and can get A LOT better.

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:04 AM
The Spurs won't be playing the Jazz in the playoffs until at least the second round. I think the Jazz are a championship contender.

Mark it down now.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:11 AM
I thought tall white starting euro centers made a team horrible.

interesting......

Suns are a team that lives and dies on the jump shot, another Seattle.

The only teams that will be tough are Utah and Dallas, and even Dallas will come back to earth.

Utah V San Antonio rivalry will be renewed.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:11 AM
The Spurs won't be playing the Jazz in the playoffs until at least the second round. I think the Jazz are a championship contender.

Mark it down now.

Interesting how you mentioned that Kirilenko was one of the most overrated players in the league. Do you still feel this way?

Sure he is not a great offensive player, but he sure is efficient and probably the best defender in the league that is not strictly a post defender.

I know how much you like Boozer. But what makes you think they are championship contenders? Their extremely efficient offense and excellent defense? Their superb coaching?

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Sloan. Defense. Depth.

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 12:14 AM
I thought tall white starting euro centers made a team horrible.

Jarron Collins is the Jazz starting center.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Are they really that deep? Or is it simply Sloan getting the most out of his players and his system?

To me they just seem on paper like a good defensive team and slightly above average offensive team. But Sloan has already made them elite in both categories. Interesting.

But being title contenders seems a bit far fetched. If they won the title, Sloan would probably be the best coach ever -- unless Utah won 60 games or something in the regular season. But I doubt they accrue an enormous amount of wins, their appears to be too much parity in the West this season. Utah's discipline and excellent coaching might give them more wins than their talent suggests, but I am just suprised you consider them title worthy considering you don't think Kirlenko is an elite NBA player.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:19 AM
I take back starting.

Tall white Euro centers who get the majority of minutes.

I mean, thats what Ive heard about the Spurs and Rasho, it HAS HAS to apply here, right??

BTW, Stephen Jackson says, much love for the peeps in SA.

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Boozer
Kirilenko
Okur
Bell
Giricek
Arroyo
Lopez
Harpring
Eisley
McLeod
Collins

Plus young players such as Snyder, Humphries and Bourchardt.

Deep.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Jarron Collins, pfftttt, bwahahaha.

The guy is playing on one leg.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Boozer
Kirilenko
Okur
Bell
Giricek
Arroyo
Harpring
Lopez

This is their true core. And it seems that guys like McLeod can even put up 18-10 on a given night in that system. But lets be honest, a couple of those guys on other teams probably would not look as good. Bell, and Giricek were not exactly great bench players before coming to Utah. Lopez is solid, but has injury troubles.

Teams don't win titles because of depth however at least in a 1-12th man sense. Platooning players in the playoffs just won't cut it. Eventually they have to trim it down to a 8-9 man rotation. The core I mentioned above is the likely core roster. Is it balanced? Yes. Does it have great defense? Yes. Does it have an elite offensive player? No. Do you think they can get by without an elite offensive weapon because of depth and coaching?

I guess it is not impossible. But it just seems a bit unlikely no?

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:33 AM
They are a championship contender. Write it down and then thank me in May when they are in the second round giving a team a serious push.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:34 AM
like Devin "I havent improved 1 bit from last year" Brown is gonna start??

okiedokie.

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Nice.

When I bump this thread, don't be too embarrassed.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:38 AM
They are a championship contender. Write it down and then thank me in May when they are in the second round giving a team a serious push.

I am just a little confused with your logic, that is all. I happen to think Kirlenko is a Top 20 NBA player. You do not. And yet you still feel they are a championship contender cause of depth and coaching. Just a little suprising that is all.

I actually think they can give any team a scare in the second round. But I cannot see them winning the title and actually beating 3 elite NBA teams in a row. For example, beating the Spurs, Twolves, than the Pistons or something along those lines.

Again, I am impressed with them as well. I like their depth and coaching and I think they can scare a team or two in the playoffs. But to actually win the title or even make it to the NBA finals would be different than making it to the WCF or just scaring a team in the semi-finals. There is so much parity in the NBA this season, that I expect ANY team that makes it to the second round can potentially 'scare' the opposition. But actually having the goods to take it all the way is different.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:39 AM
should we bump the gauranteed win of game 6 against the Lakers in the Spring??

salute

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 12:39 AM
That would just prove that you give up on your team, TPark. I'm not sure why you'd want to bump it.

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:43 AM
With a little luck, the Jazz will be right there. Kirilenko is overrated but he's still a solid all-around talent. Boozer is a beast. Harpring is recovering from injury, but he played better than Kirilenko a couple seasons ago. Arroyo is underrated. Bell is a tough SOB. Okur can fill it up.

Sloan knows how to get the best out of any team. Last year they should have been horrible but then turned around and almost made the playoffs. This year they'll be right there at the end with San Antonio and Minnesota in the west.

I don't understand what you don't get, Nikos. They have a bunch of tough guys who aren't afraid to lay the lumber. They have one of the best coaches ever. Their role players know their role.

T Park
11-14-2004, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE]Their role players know their role.[QUOTE]

now if the Spurs role players would take a page from the Jazz, this team would improve even more.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't understand what you don't get, Nikos. They have a bunch of tough guys who aren't afraid to lay the lumber. They have one of the best coaches ever. Their role players know their role.

What I do not get is the fact that you feel a team can win the title because of being 'tough and being deep', when those type of teams never win titles. I could understand the logic if you felt Boozer and Kirlenko were all-stars and elite talents at their respective positions. But to think a team can win the title by just having a solid player at each position, a solid backup, and a good coach just seems a little strange to me that is all.

Sloan had more talented teams that were just as well coached, just as fundamental and tough as any of the guys on this current team, yet never won a title.

I would be very suprised if Utah won the title. I would not be suprised however if they scared a team in the playoffs or made it to the WCF.

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 12:52 AM
I could understand the logic if you felt Boozer and Kirlenko were all-stars and elite talents at their respective positions.

He does think Boozer is elite.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 12:57 AM
He does think Boozer is elite.

Ah, I guess that makes more sense. But I still think he is under estimating AK47.

timvp
11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
What I do not get is the fact that you feel a team can win the title because of being 'tough and being deep', when those type of teams never win titles.

Um ... did you watch last season? The Pistons are a bunch of hardworkers. None of them are anywhere close to MVP type players.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 01:01 AM
You cited 'depth' as a main reason why Utah would be title contenders.

Detroit played their starting lineup the majority of the minutes. Corliss Williamson and Okur their best bench players were hardly major factors in the NBA finals. Sure they played a few minutes, but nothing significant to say they really helped push their team over the top. It was the starting 5 doing the major work.

Also Detroit had an above average player at every single position -- the only arguable non-above average player at their respective position would probably be Tayshaun Prince, but he is probably underrated at this point. His defense made up for any offensive short comings.

As an aside, here are the minute distributions for last years NBA finals.

Hamilton 44.4
Billups 38.4
R.Wallace 30.2
B.Wallace 40.6
Prince 39.2

Williamson 10.4
Hunter 13
Campbell 13.6
Okur 7.8
James 4.4
Ham 2
Milicic 1

timvp
11-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah they have a lot of good players, so do the Jazz now. You can make that "above average" claim to the Jazz as well.

And their depth is just an added bonus and another reason they can contend.

Nikos
11-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Yeah they have a lot of good players, so do the Jazz now. You can make that "above average" claim to the Jazz as well.

And their depth is just an added bonus and another reason they can contend.

Just admit that AK47 is one of the best SF's in the league, and what you say will make even more sense.

timvp
11-14-2004, 01:06 AM
I never said he wasn't. I just don't buy the hype of him being an All-Star and one of the better players in the league.

toosmallshoes
11-14-2004, 01:14 AM
The Jazz. They play more like the Spurs than any other team in the West... tough and together.

Spurminator
11-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Sloan will probably get his well-deserved COTY award this year.

The Jazz are legit.

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Jerry Sloan isn't thrilled with AK's blocks.

Fundamental flaw: You probably think Utah coach Jerry Sloan is thrilled that Andrei Kirilenko is leading the NBA in blocked shots.

You probably are wrong.

Kirilenko's 31 blocks in the first four games were amazing, but the fact he gets so many of them from behind the shooter drives Sloan, ever the fundamentalist, crazy.

Says Sloan: "We have a tendency to let people go where they want to on defense because we want to block shots. Blocked shots are great, but layups are worse when they're being scored against you. That doesn't look very good. I've always had a simple philosophy: Stay between your man and the basket. You don't play from behind."

timvp
11-14-2004, 02:51 AM
I guess I'm not the only one who can see through the mirage.

:smokin

Drachen
11-14-2004, 03:16 AM
Utah.

That team is scary good already and can get A LOT better.

1st person I agree with... I think that the mid-late 90's rivalry is back on, they are the only team that worries me so far.

Jimcs50
11-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Hands down the Mavs - very deep with a fair center now, keep playing like they are; they would be a tough out in a 7 game series! Somehow though I think they will fall back again.

Any arguements on this? - Wolves only consideration in my view.

MadDoc :smokin :smokin

I posted on this 4 days ago. I mentioned that with Stack and Terry off the bench, they have bench players with potential to take over a game, and look what happened last night. Stackhouse comes off the bench to score 29 pts. This team IMO is the best team in the league and is the odds on fav to win it all this year. I can not see SA beating this team in a series, unless Parker improves 100% by May, and that is a fact, Jack.

Rummpd
11-14-2004, 11:21 AM
As the original poster here is how I rank the threats from now until the Conf. Finals:

1) Mavs = probably on their way to a 60 game season unless Dirk hurt. I do believe "Jack" above that the Spurs with Duncan and now Ginobli will score above to beat what is still a weak defensive team compared to the Spurs/Wolves and Jazz. Would probably go 6-7 games.
2) Wolves = although seem to be falling back a bit, but hard to ignore and Griffin played well yesterday.
3/4) Jazz Rockets (if the latter ever jell) I personally don't by the Jazz yet = however, 2 more years will contend seriously in my view.
5/6 any of the other teams that get hot - edge would go to the Fakers for 5 as Kobe will get all the calls and only if Malone comes back and plays well.

MadDoc :smokin :smokin The SAGE

pjjrfan
11-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm more in tune with Pop's philosophy of your current opponent is your most scariest. I know the fans can make these kinds of assumptions, but even as a fan, I think the Spurs are only good when they play to their capabilities and take every opponet seriously. In '03 the Spurs were 2 mins away from going down 0-2 to the 8th seed Suns. So, I can understand why Pop hates for players to read their headlines.

smeagol
11-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Nice.

When I bump this thread, don't be too embarrassed.

I appologize for my ignorance . . .

What does "bumping" a thread mean?

Sportcamper
11-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Utah...

ducks
11-14-2004, 03:00 PM
when you make a post
or just post bumb in this thread it brings it to the top thread in the forum
that is what is called "bumbing a thread"

Sportcamper
11-14-2004, 03:39 PM
when you make a post

I guess it’s a geographical thing...In So Cal that has a different meaning...

King of like. I lost my dog and I am like totally bumming.... :lol

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/images/donations_111_image28.jpg

smeagol
11-14-2004, 04:51 PM
when you make a post

Thanks Ducks!

newbiefan
11-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Again, I am a novice to this wonderful sport, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think the Mavs ( aside from Nowitski) are a big contender for the Western Conference, but i attribute this to the fact that they now have Avery Johnson as asst. coach- who i imagine is stressing defense.

boutons
11-14-2004, 06:18 PM
"Avery Johnson as asst. coach- who i imagine is stressing defense"

Wizards shot 47%, +7 in off RBS, and scored 113 on Mavs today. Avery must have been held up at church.

GoSpurs21
11-14-2004, 09:38 PM

Mark it down now.
I totally agree. Sloan has these guys playing extremely well. Dallas is second, but lets see how they do when the shots arent falling.

adrienne
11-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Their shots haven't been consistantly falling...and something like 6 of their 8 games, the opponents have been under 40% anyway.

Today they won in a shootout, true....and I expect they'll come back to earth...but so will the Jazz. And the Suns. It doesn't matter much anyway, because I'm fully expecting a Spurs/Pistons finals.

samikeyp
11-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Adrienne? Is that you?

adrienne
Why yes, it is.

Kori Ellis
Hi Adrienne. Welcome back.

The Mavs look pretty good. The Spurs play them twice this month -- so we'll see how they match up.

samikeyp
11-15-2004, 01:09 AM
'Bout time, girl! Mouse has been holding down the Mavs fort by himself over here! :lol

adrienne
11-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Lol, well I've been busy.:)

SpursWoman
11-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Welcome back... :)