PDA

View Full Version : Ely: starting 5, bench player or IR?

Spurs Brazil
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
What do you think?

I think if he can learn the system quick he'll be starting in the playoffs.

Ours bigs sucks so much now

After that move I think Oberto will be in the IR the rest of the season

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Backup PF/C.

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
PreME

VaSpursFan
02-13-2007, 03:31 PM
a backup that can provide a little offense while timmy rests. much needed due to the offensively challenged rotation of franberto that we have now.

Mr. Body
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Bobcats fans on RealGM say he's only good as a starter. He doesn't play nearly as well off the bench, though the Spurs will try it.

Like others have said, this is about money first and foremost. If he can play his way onto the starting five, where he's most effective, then fantastic, but he wasn't outplaying Jake Voskuhl, as far as I understanding.

timvp
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
He'll start off as IR fodder and will have to show something in practice to move higher in the depth charts.

timvp
02-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Like others have said, this is about money first and foremost.

Exactly. Reasons 1, 2 and 3 this trade was made.

But unlike other salary dumps, the Spurs didn't give up anything of note.

SenorSpur
02-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Ely should be the first big off the bench

baseline bum
02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
With the state of the Spurs bigs, anything from behind Butler to starting next to Duncan wouldn't surprise me.

JamStone
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
I think I recall Spurs fans debating how soon it would be for Jackie Butler to become the starting center for the Spurs. Now, not to say Ely isn't a good pick-up. Considering the money saved and what the Spurs gave up, it was a very good pick-up. But, expectations are always somewhat skewed when a new player is acquired. Melvin Ely has talents, but he's still a center with size that barely could earn playing time for a still very bad Charlotte Bobcats team this season. How sure is anyone that he's much better than Elson or Oberto? Just because he's a former lottery pick and the Spurs have liked him, it doesn't mean he's ready to be a steady contributor in any way. I think the most you can hope for is that he competes for playing time and somehow earns minutes to be on the floor. Anything over and above that will be gravy.

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I think I recall Spurs fans debating how soon it would be for Jackie Butler to become the starting center for the Spurs. Now, not to say Ely isn't a good pick-up. Considering the money saved and what the Spurs gave up, it was a very good pick-up. But, expectations are always somewhat skewed when a new player is acquired. Melvin Ely has talents, but he's still a center with size that barely could earn playing time for a still very bad Charlotte Bobcats team this season. How sure is anyone that he's much better than Elson or Oberto? Just because he's a former lottery pick and the Spurs have liked him, it doesn't mean he's ready to be a steady contributor in any way. I think the most you can hope for is that he competes for playing time and somehow earns minutes to be on the floor. Anything over and above that will be gravy.

Exactly.

There's a good chance he gets IR'ed for the rest of the season. If Ely cracks the rotation, that's a plus.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Exactly.

There's a good chance he gets IR'ed for the rest of the season. If Ely cracks the rotation, that's a plus.

BOOO! What a downer.... :depressed

Even if you are speaking the truth...

Fabbs
02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
How the mighty have fallen.
From 2006 preseason Champ favorites to now talking about if Ely will tank like Butler or not.

Hope he adds some rebounding and spark. :spin

bdictjames
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
We should blow out the Nets and play Butler and Ely together. Then we'll see who's better.

Spurs Brazil
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Bobcats have great big, Okafor, May and Brezec

Last year when he got minutes he put 10 and 5

And in one game in 2005 he got 17rebs.

Oberto and Elson can't get those many rebs in their dreams

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
BOOO! What a downer.... :depressed

Even if you are speaking the truth...

Ely is going to come in and work. Even if Elson, Oberto, Horry and Bonner aren't that great, they all know the system and how to play off of Duncan.

I think Ely can crack the rotation, but he's going to have to play well. No one should think he's going to come in and be a starter anytime soon.

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Ely is going to come in and work. Even if Elson, Oberto, Horry and Bonner aren't that great, they all know the system and how to play off of Duncan.

I think Ely can crack the rotation, but he's going to have to play well. No one should think he's going to come in and be a starter anytime soon.

may I remind you we have a guy named Oberto who starts for us in occassion. Manute Bol could start for the Spurs at C

JamStone
02-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Bobcats have great big, Okafor, May and Brezec

Last year when he got minutes he put 10 and 5

And in one game in 2005 he got 17rebs.

Oberto and Elson can't get those many rebs in their dreams

Brezec and May each have missed about 20 games this season, and Ely still wasn't getting that much PT.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
may I remind you we have a guy named Oberto who starts for us in occassion. Manute Bol could start for the Spurs at C

He's right though....Nazr didn't start out as a starter for the Spurs either, but he worked his way into significant minutes. Pop is particular about his rotation....Ely will have to put in some effort.

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Pop is particular about his rotation....

that was true back when we actually had championship hopes. Not true at all this year.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Brezec and May each have missed about 20 games this season, and Ely still wasn't getting that much PT.

Ely was malcontent, requested a trade, and rode the pine.

JR Smith was in the doghouse once upon a time too....

Obviously I don't see Ely as a JR Smith-type talent, but his lack of PT had more to do with his relationship w/ Bobcats FO than skill.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Ely is mediocre at best.

So he'll start.

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Ely is mediocre at best.

So he'll start.
:lol

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:34 PM
that was true back when we actually had championship hopes. Not true at all this year.

Funny thing is...the Spurs as an organization still have championship hopes. It's some of the fans that have given up.

One caveat though, Pop mentioned the Spurs were "soft" after the recent loss and that's one thing Ely is NOT. I think his toughness plays to his favor with the current situation.

Darkwaters
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
The Spurs need to try and find some practice time soon for Ely. WIth the All-Star break coming up Ely might have some good time to sit down with the coaching staff and figure out the team's method and his role. Once Tony and Tim get back from Vegas and full practices commence then we might get a better idea of how he'll contribute.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Bobcats fans on RealGM say he's only good as a starter. He doesn't play nearly as well off the bench, though the Spurs will try it.

Like others have said, this is about money first and foremost. If he can play his way onto the starting five, where he's most effective, then fantastic, but he wasn't outplaying Jake Voskuhl, as far as I understanding.

that would be an issue next year.unless he putts up some big numbers like 10+ ppg 8+rpg.
cause the spurs Fo is known from there cheapness.

Darkwaters
02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it was a good trade though. Ely is a guy they have been high on and they got him for basically nothing. E Will wasn't doing anything but getting paid, so why keep him? I'd rather give Ely a shot than simply watch Williams rot on the IR.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Backup Center. Ely>Oberto

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Exactly.

timvp....breaking hearts all over the spurstalk world... :depressed

Spurminator
02-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Exactly.

There's a good chance he gets IR'ed for the rest of the season.

I disagree. Given that Ely requested a trade to a team that would give him minutes, I don't think the Spurs would agree to take him if they didn't plan on at least giving him significant bench minutes.

Given the Spurs' recent struggles and the possibility of increased tension in the locker room as a result, I think the last thing they'd want to do is bring in a malcontent, even if it did save them a few thousand $$.

boutons_
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
"significant bench minutes."

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I disagree. Given that Ely requested a trade to a team that would give him minutes, I don't think the Spurs would agree to take him if they didn't plan on at least giving him significant bench minutes.

Given the Spurs' recent struggles and the possibility of increased tension in the locker room as a result, I think the last thing they'd want to do is bring in a malcontent, even if it did save them a few thousand $$.
Good points. Espeically considering that Ely could have refused the trade. I don't think the Spurs told him he'd play big minutes, but they had to tell him that he'd be in the mix.

I'd say the percentages work out like this:
Mengke Bateer type role - 30%
Tony Massenburg type role - 25%
Malik Rose (circa 1999) type role - 35%
Nazr Mohammed (circa 2005) type role - 20%

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
hell bring more of a role than menge bateer Malik Rose i agree with the most..

Obstructed_View
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
This picture indicates to me that he played garbage minutes for an expansion team. Strikes me as a guy who'll get a career high the next time he plays the Bobcats but will otherwise not crack the rotation.
http://www.centralmediaserver.com/woai/melvinely2007.jpg

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM

????

Get some sleep.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
go fuck yourself and go back to begging your wife to stay home.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
This picture indicates to me that he played garbage minutes for an expansion team. Strikes me as a guy who'll get a career high the next time he plays the Bobcats but will otherwise not crack the rotation.

Steve Smith he is not...

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
go fuck yourself and go back to begging your wife to stay home.

stay off the tiltawhirl... dude you are out of control.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
stay off the stupid pills.

Your out of a brain.

Big P
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Spurs did not make this trade for Ely to come & sit on the IR. RC said on the news that they were basically getting a free look as to what Ely can bring. IMO I think he will be IR'd on the rest of the road trip, he will start to get some playing time once they get back home & before long he will be the primary big man coming off the bench with Elson starting.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Steve Smith he is not...
I knew someone had done it. :lol

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.centralmediaserver.com/woai/melvinely2007.jpg
Good point.
thatīs why he averaged 25 garbage minutes that year.
the bobcats got blown out by every other team.

T Park
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
look at the argentinians :lol

They are scared shitless their boyfriend is gonna get cut or traded.

Findog
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
The Spurs Are Back On Top after this trade. Watch out Dallas and Phoenix. Melvin Ely is going to the River City mothefuckers!

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 07:23 PM
RC said on the news and PJ said right now on the radio that they have eyed him for a while and think he might be able to bring something to the team - low post scoring, rebounding, etc. They said he got lost in the shuffle in Charlotte ...

So I guess they are going to give him an opportunity to earn some minutes.

T Park
02-13-2007, 07:24 PM
So I guess they are going to give him an opportunity to earn some minutes.

wish it could start tonight.

timvp
02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
They said he got lost in the shuffle in Charlotte ...

Yeah, what Spurs fans need to realize is that Elson and Oberto would be getting DNP's on Charlotte right now.

baseline bum
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
You never know. 9 years ago this team plucked another underachieving big from Charlotte who no one had ever heard of, and he became the team's best bench player and one of its most important pieces in two title runs.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 07:38 PM

They are scared shitless their boyfriend is gonna get cut or traded.

at least i dont have a Tpark kind of nick name,you Fag.,or may I call you eva? :elephant

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 07:41 PM
TPark became an alcoholic or something? he usually acts like a stupid bitch, but now he's acting like a stupid drunk bitch

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM

They are scared shitless their boyfriend is gonna get cuted or traded.

fixed

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
he averaged 25 garbage minutes:lmao
fixedIndeed.

exstatic
02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
that would be an issue next year.unless he putts up some big numbers like 10+ ppg 8+rpg.
cause the spurs Fo is known from there cheapness.
He won't be here next year. Two words: Dan Fegan. He's Ely's agent and he's a lying sack of shit. Ely's a rental if he doesn't change agents.

Supergirl
02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Ely is going to come in determined, and could give the Spurs some of that fire they have been missing. Pop has long admired him, and has a history of nurturing players with potential but who need discipline.

I don't think he'll start, but I think he'll take most of Horry's minutes and some of Oberto and Elson's in the regular season. In the playoffs, it will depend on how healthy guys are and how they're shooting.

I also see him subbing in for Bowen at times and allowing the Spurs to play line ups like Duncan, Ely, and Elson, which would allow them to stay big and yet be more athletic and not lose as much on offense.

In the absence of finding a long 3, this makes the Spurs a more flexible team, depending on match ups.

Big P
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
While Ely is definitly a nice pickup, he is a PF/C, he will not be subbing for Bowen or backing up the SF position.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 12:45 AM
While Ely is definitly a nice pickup, he is a PF/C, he will not be subbing for Bowen or backing up the SF position.

True. He's a low-post big.

SequSpur
02-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Ely is going to come in determined, and could give the Spurs some of that fire they have been missing. Pop has long admired him, and has a history of nurturing players with potential but who need discipline.

I don't think he'll start, but I think he'll take most of Horry's minutes and some of Oberto and Elson's in the regular season. In the playoffs, it will depend on how healthy guys are and how they're shooting.

I also see him subbing in for Bowen at times and allowing the Spurs to play line ups like Duncan, Ely, and Elson, which would allow them to stay big and yet be more athletic and not lose as much on offense.

In the absence of finding a long 3, this makes the Spurs a more flexible team, depending on match ups.

Hey.. girls are welcome to post in the Club you know. That way you might be correct about something... There are plenty of fashionable topics for you to share your thoughts in.

T Park
02-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Hey.. girls are welcome to post in the Club you know. That way you might be correct about something... There are plenty of fashionable topics for you to share your thoughts in

then what the fuck are you doing in here...

SequSpur
02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
then what the fuck are you doing in here...

:lmao

td4mvp21
02-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey.. girls are welcome to post in the Club you know. That way you might be correct about something... There are plenty of fashionable topics for you to share your thoughts in.

:wow Ouch man.

SsKSpurs21
02-14-2007, 02:03 AM
I dont know why, i get this feeling he will fill in a role similar to Malik Rose's. anyone else feel this way?

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 02:05 AM
I dont know why, i get this feeling he will fill in a role similar to Malik Rose's. anyone else feel this way?

The good role player Malik Rose or the sitting on the bench and getting no minutes Malik Rose?

MannyIsGod
02-14-2007, 03:42 AM
I bet he doesn't play for 3 weeks. Then he'll probably do ok when he does play, and if he does well at all, he's starting by the end of the year.