PDA

View Full Version : Official: Spurs Trade Williams for Ely

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have acquired Melvin Ely from the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for Eric Williams and a second round pick in 2009.

Ely, a 6-10 forward/center, is in his fifth NBA season. He has appeared in 24 games for Charlotte this season and is averaging 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes a game. Ely enjoyed his finest NBA season last year when he averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds in 23.6 minutes in 57 games while shooting .508 (216-425) for the Bobcats. For his career Ely has appeared in 254 games for Charlotte and the Los Angeles Clippers, averaging 6.3 points and 3.6 rebounds in 17.9 minutes per game. The 28-year old was originally the 12th overall selection in the 2002 NBA Draft.

Williams has appeared in 16 games for the Spurs this season, averaging 2.6 points in 5.5 minutes a game. He was originally acquired on 6/21/06 from Toronto with Matt Bonner and a 2009 second round pick in exchange for Rasho Nesterovic. For his career, the 6-8 forward has played in 653 games for six teams (San Antonio, Toronto, New Jersey, Cleveland, Denver and Boston), averaging 8.6 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 24.0 minutes a game.

---

RC will talk to the media at 3:30 today.

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Ely, a 6-10 forward/center, is in his fifth NBA season.

Interesting that the official press release mentions him as a center. Pop calls out the team for being soft two games in a row and then the next day the team trades for a center?

Not good news for Elson or Oberto.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
R.C. talking to the media in 30 minutes and it's STILL not up on ESPN website...slackers!

boutons_
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Poor EW, but this is what happens at the end of your career, you become trade fodder.

got my fingers crossed this guy helps out.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Interesting that the official press release mentions him as a center. Pop calls out the team for being soft two games in a row and then the next day the team trades for a center?

Not good news for Elson or Oberto.

From what I read, he likes to play PF, but his game is more suited to C. He and Tim Duncan should get along... :lol

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
wow, i like that.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I wonder if Ely turns out to be a suprise, like Denver got with Blake. The team dumps a salary, saves money and just wants to get an exp back, but in the end they get a suprisingly good player who they will re-sign.

Might be the same for the Spurs :smokin

Solid D
02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Ely can body-up and play physical. He doesn't play by the Arch Duke of Canterbury Rules.

Russ
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Ely, a 6-10 forward/center, is in his fifth NBA season. He has appeared in 24 games for Charlotte this season and is averaging 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes a game.

Williams has appeared in 16 games for the Spurs this season, averaging 2.6 points in 5.5 minutes a game.

Looks like a dead heat on a merry-go-round.

freemeat
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
looks like good news...his numbers are down this year, but he obviously has potential to fit in the rotation very well. I like the idea of Oberto, Elson and Ely competing with each other for playing time. This should also allow Horry to rest for the playoffs a bit more.

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Ely can body-up and play physical. He doesn't play by like Elson.

Fixed for those who didn't want to google the meaning.

:hat

Solid D
02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
:lol you know me too well.

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
we need to get rid of Beno + Oberto and we'll be in good shape.

bdictjames
02-13-2007, 04:19 PM
At least the Cats have some veteran firepower, we have some youth. Good for both teams.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Now if we can get rid of Oberto & Beno...

johnpaulwall21
02-13-2007, 04:23 PM
HELL YEAH but i would rather have williams then oberthoe

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
HELL YEAH but i would rather have williams then oberthoe

So would Charlotte. :lol

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Bottomline is the Spurs have wanted Ely for a long time. They tried to trade up to get him in the draft and ever since then, they've attempted to get him. Before Devin signed with the Jazz, the Spurs were working on a sign-and-trade that would have sent Devin to Charlotte and Ely to San Antonio. That's one of many times the Spurs have gone after him.

And with Pop saying the Spurs are playing soft, it's no mistake that the Spurs went out and got a 6-foot-10, 260 bruiser. He has all the tools to be a shotblocker, including a 7-foot-4 wingspan and a 9-foot-3 standing reach. Offensively, he's a better low post scorer than anyone on the Spurs outside of Duncan (but that isn't exactly saying much :lol).

Win-Win trade for the Spurs. At the very least, with the trade they avoid going over the luxury tax threshold. At best, he becomes a player to add to the bigman rotation.

Oh and somewhere Ghost Writer is happy that the Spurs got someone with cornrows and a headband.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
...Oh and somewhere Ghost Writer is happy that the Spurs got someone with cornrows and a headband.

:smokin

Someone needs to Photo Shop him a Spurs headband.

http://www.spurstalk.com/melyspurs.jpg

Mr. Body
02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
There's a youtube video of Kobe getting upset with Ely for a pick he set on him.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Meanwhile, the fleet-footed Elson is practicing his sprint back down the court in case one day, the Spurs can create those "easy baskets" they hoped to gain when they signed him.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Meanwhile, the fleet-footed Elson is practicing his sprint back down the court in case one day, the Spurs can create those "easy baskets" they hoped to gain when they signed him.

:lol Fastest 7 footer I've ever seen!

VaSpursFan
02-13-2007, 04:38 PM
There's a youtube video of Kobe getting upset with Ely for a pick he set on him.

that's a novel concept...a big that knows how to set a screen!

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM

:rollin

Yeah, all those fast break dunks are blowing me away.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Do you know if the 09 second round pick is the Hornet's one (from the Rasho trade) or Spurs 09 second round pick ?
I guess it's the Hornet's pick but I haven't seen written somewhere.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Is R.C. talkign right now?

spur219
Melvin Ely is a nice little player he can help the Spurs a little bit. The Spurs still have not filled the void that they lack. No versatile young perimeter player and also a reliable PG that can actually play, unlike Beno. In my opinion this trade really does nothing for the Spurs I don't think it has put them over Dallas, Phoenix, and Utah and with Ely they are still a 4-6 seed in the West. This trade really just leaves them where they are at now.

kskonn
that's a novel concept...a big that knows how to set a screen!

well I would word it more like.... DELIVER a screen.

One thing Rasho was very good at doing.

veronicamae
02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
let's all cheer that this man is not 35 years old. i'll take it.

Kori Ellis
Melvin Ely is a nice little player he can help the Spurs a little bit. The Spurs still have not filled the void that they lack. No versatile young perimeter player and also a reliable PG that can actually play, unlike Beno. In my opinion this trade really does nothing for the Spurs I don't think it has put them over Dallas, Phoenix, and Utah and with Ely they are still a 4-6 seed in the West. This trade really just leaves them where they are at now.

But maybe getting a big in Ely gives them the flexibility to get rid of a different big to bring in another player.

timvp
Do you know if the 09 second round pick is the Hornet's one (from the Rasho trade) or Spurs 09 second round pick ?
I guess it's the Hornet's pick but I haven't seen written somewhere.

That'd be classic if the Bobcats insisted on the Spurs' pick.

:cooldevil

timvp
02-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Going into the trade deadline, the Spurs needed a physical big, a young perimeter player and a backup point guard.

I think you can check one of those off the list.

Duncanoypi
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Going into the trade deadline, the Spurs needed a physical big, a young perimeter player and a backup point guard.

I think you can check one of those off the list.

James White?

spur219
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
But maybe getting a big in Ely gives them the flexibility to get rid of a different big to bring in another player.

Well I sure hope that is the plan cuz if it's not I don't see the purpose of this deal. If he was brought in to get rid of Oberto or Bonner to bring in someone else then it will make some good sense. But why not go for the perimeter guy now cuz that is what they need more now.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Barry/Beno for Najera/Dermarr Johnson

DJ is a perimeter player AND can play backup PG (only for limited minutes though) :smokin

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Well I sure hope that is the plan cuz if it's not I don't see the purpose of this deal. If he was brought in to get rid of Oberto or Bonner to bring in someone else then it will make some good sense. But why not go for the perimeter guy now cuz that is what they need more now.

Well the Spurs bigs suck. So they needed a big too.

lefty
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Now let's trade Beno+Oberto for Maggette (it's not going to happen , is it?)

VaSpursFan
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM

because the spurs bigs are the key to our defense. we don't have the right personnel now which is why teams are lighting our asses up. ely is a step in the right direction and athletic big with a huge wingspan and a solid 260 to throw around

spur219
02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Well the Spurs bigs suck. So they needed a big too.

Oh of course the Spurs bigs suck but perimeter and backup PG especially the backup PG is a much bigger void. You don't have a reliable backup PG who can control an offense and a tempo and force the team to go at a tempo that they are not used to then most teams will suffer and thats the deal with the Spurs right now. Only reason Spurs aren't suffering right now is cuz Tony Parker is young and can afford to play a ton of minutes but that is a lot of tear to the body.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Barry would have to be included AT LEAST.....

MoSpur
02-13-2007, 04:54 PM
The Spurs can't be done dealing. I honestly think the Spurs have a decent shot at getting Maggette.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh of course the Spurs bigs suck but perimeter and backup PG especially the backup PG is a much bigger void. You don't have a reliable backup PG who can control an offense and a tempo and force the team to go at a tempo that they are not used to then most teams will suffer and thats the deal with the Spurs right now. Only reason Spurs aren't suffering right now is cuz Tony Parker is young and can afford to play a ton of minutes but that is a lot of tear to the body.

All three of them are issues and one could argue for or against which one is MOST important.

Bottom Line: Be happy the Spurs took steps to address at least one of their issues and hope that they're not done dealing!

sammy
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM

I would like that trade! Let's see what happens! Trade deadline is 2/22 so you never know?

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM

I've been saying for weeks that I think the Spurs biggest weakness is our horrible centers. They lose games on interior D and rebounding. So I don't agree with you that perimeter/PG are bigger voids.

However, I don't know how much Ely will help unless he's going to get 25 mpg or something.

Right now, I still think they need to trade any combo of Elson/Oberto/Butler/Bonner/Udrih to keep ugrading.

lefty
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
The Spurs can't be done dealing. I honestly think the Spurs have a decent shot at getting Maggette.

1.Beno could get dome minutes with the Clips, so Cassell could save some juice for the playoffs

2.With Brand's injury, I'm sure the Clips are looking for a big man : Oberto

3.Speaking of big men, maybe the Spurs have got Ely to trade him right away??

spur219
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
All three of them are issues and one could argue for or against which one is MOST important.

Bottom Line: Be happy the Spurs took steps to address at least one of their issues and hope that they're not done dealing!

I never said I wasn't happy. I said as of now with this trade they are not much improved or improved at all. If they got Ely to get rid of another big and bring in a reliable backup PG or perimeter player then we see an improvement. But with this trade as of now right now this second they are not much improved.

MrChug
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder if Ely turns out to be a suprise, like Denver got with Blake. The team dumps a salary, saves money and just wants to get an exp back, but in the end they get a suprisingly good player who they will re-sign.

Might be the same for the Spurs :smokin

So you think he might come out and pretty much average a double-double in his first 17 games with us?? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :elephant

haha...Well, optomism is a virtue! :toast

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I've been saying for weeks that I think the Spurs biggest weakness is our horrible centers. They lose games on interior D and rebounding. So I don't agree with you that perimeter/PG are bigger voids.

However, I don't know how much Ely will help unless he's going to get 25 mpg or something.

Right now, I still think they need to trade any combo of Elson/Oberto/Butler/Bonner/Udrih to keep ugrading.

i agree our bigs guys suck,and that+buckup sf are the biggest issues.but i just donīt see how ely may help on the boards issue that we have if he averages 3.6 rpg in 19 mpg.let say with 25 mpg he can get what?4 rpg?
I donīt know.I just hope it works out for the spurs good

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I am confident the Spurs are not done yet. THey will now be able to trade Oberto(hopefully) or another big + Beno + someone else or 1st round pick for that needed backup PG or SF or both

spur219
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM

I see why you wouldn't agree with me but I still say the biggest void is perimeter game and backup PG cuz eventhough we have seen the Spurs losing games cuz of rebounds or interior D we have also seen the Spurs lose games because strictly of the perimeter and PG duties when Tony is tired. So that goes both ways all losses are not blamed on the bigs but some losses also are on the perimter end of the ball.

I do agree with you on Ely which was my point from the beginning. Yes the Spurs bigs do suck but Ely is not that much of an upgrade of the bigs we have now. And they do need to trade Oberto or Butler or Bonner to keep upgrading. But please they need to get rid of Udrih I can honestly say that he is probably or one of the worst ball handling PG's in the NBA. I know the Spurs had thought of letting him go and have tried to but I hope the Spurs keep trying.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
let say with 25 mpg he can get what?If he plays 27 minutes maybe he can get 5.6 boards like Scola is in Euroleague.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
If he plays 27 minutes maybe he can get 5.6 boards like Scola is in Euroleague.

this isnīt a Scola thread chump,so go back to your room! :reading

Dre_7
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Speakin of trades, when is the trade deadline??

nkdlunch
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Spurs actually aquired someone that can dunk
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2005/1229/a_melvinely_vtop.jpg

:lol at us spurs fans excited about this scrub

Kori Ellis

Feb 22.

AFBlue
I never said I wasn't happy. I said as of now with this trade they are not much improved or improved at all. If they got Ely to get rid of another big and bring in a reliable backup PG or perimeter player then we see an improvement. But with this trade as of now right now this second they are not much improved.

If he plays, he instantly becomes the second-best post player the Spurs have. I'd hardly call that a "small" improvement....of course that depends on IF he plays.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I see why you wouldn't agree with me but I still say the biggest void is perimeter game and backup PG cuz eventhough we have seen the Spurs losing games cuz of rebounds or interior D we have also seen the Spurs lose games because strictly of the perimeter and PG duties when Tony is tired.

We lost to Dallas last year because they owned the offensive glass. And I'd encourage you to go check out the rebounding numbers since Jan. 1 for this team.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Spurs actually aquired someone that can dunk
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2005/1229/a_melvinely_vtop.jpg

:lol at us spurs fans excited about this scrub

I think James White dunked once....

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
this isnīt a Scola thread chump,so go back to your room!

Hes a black Luis Scola, so what you see with him, is what youd see with Luis.

Except for Ely can play D.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Thursday 22 Feb

spur219
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
If he plays, he instantly becomes the second-best post player the Spurs have. I'd hardly call that a "small" improvement....of course that depends on IF he plays.

Just because he instantly becomes the second best post player the Spurs have that does not mean it's a big improvement. That just means that the rest of the Spurs bigs really suck and Ely is just a decent player while the other Spurs bigs are just awful. So second best post player don't equal to a big improvement. Small improvement on Ely's ability of play, Yes.

lefty
02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe Ely is gonna be traded right away...

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Just because he instantly becomes the second best post player the Spurs have that does not mean it's a big improvement.Right. Had we picked up Elton Brown from the Colorado 14ers, we could have said the same thing.

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Chump and his stiffs from the D League.....

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Chump and his stiffs from the D League.....Exactly my point.

ArgSpursFan
Hes a black Luis Scola, so what you see with him, is what youd see with Luis.

Except for Ely can play D.

but more spensive,the get 3.3 Mp/year right now,and someone said here that it was a money issue why he wanted out of Charlotte.
He aint even close to scolaīs interior scoring dude,get yourself informed first.

timvp
Don Harris saying that "NBA sources" tell him Ely could be starting before long.

Take that for what it's worth.

bigdog
02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
great trade. tonight we play a depleted new jersey team. they are without jefferson,kristic,and kidd. since beno hasnt played the past few games, i would put him on inactive, and put White into the lineup. and now that williams is gone, i would wanna see butler in there as well. this could be a game where all the guys that never play finally get their chance to show us what they've got. i really hope pop does this

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
but more spensive,the get 3.3 Mp/year right now,and someone said here that it was a money issue why he wanted out of Charlotte.I'm sure he wanted to play more than ten minutes a game to prove he could be worth more than the minimum next summer.

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM
but more spensive,the get 3.3 Mp/year right now,and someone said here that it was a money issue why he wanted out of Charlotte.
He aint even close to scolaīs interior scoring dude,get yourself informed first.

More expensive?

Scola wanted the entire goddamn Midlevel exception

It was not a money issue with ELY, he wanted PT.

He is very close to interior scoring of Scola.

Your the one that needs educating, dude.

Extra Stout
Yaaaaaay the Spurs are closer to getting under the luxury tax threshold!

AFBlue
Just because he instantly becomes the second best post player the Spurs have that does not mean it's a big improvement. That just means that the rest of the Spurs bigs really suck and Ely is just a decent player while the other Spurs bigs are just awful. So second best post player don't equal to a big improvement. Small improvement on Ely's ability of play, Yes.

His post play adds another dimension for defenses to consider when he's on the floor. I'm not suggesting he'll draw double teams, but the ball just floats around the permiter when Elson/Oberto/Horry are out there because none of them establish position or look to score when they get in the low post. Being a capable (see how I didn't try to make him sound better than he is) low post player opens opportunities up for others as well.

It may not be a "big" improvement, but I'd say it's more significant than "barely at all, if any"

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Exactly my point.

Wich is what.

Bring in unproven stiffs over a guy that avergaged 10 a game in the NBA?

interesting.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Don Harris saying that "NBA sources" tell him Ely could be starting before long.

It means if he shows up with a pulse, he'll be the starter in 10 games MAX (re: Nazr)

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Wich is what.

Bring in unproven stiffs over a guy that avergaged 10 a game in the NBA?

interesting.No, that our current big men outside of Duncan aren't good post scorers.

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Take that for what it's worth

Does his sources name ryme with huddy bolly?

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
No, that our current big men outside of Duncan aren't good post scorers

Point taken.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 05:28 PM
More expensive?

scola averages 17 ppg
how many does he averages?3,4?
but you are right the broght him not to score,but to take care of the boards,right?
how many boards he averages ?

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Scola averages that against stiff bigs in Europe.

Ely averaged 10 a game against NBA bigs.

big difference....

ChumpDumper
Does his sources name ryme with huddy bolly?More like it might rhyme with Snory Smellis.

bigdog
scola averages 17 ppg
how many does he averages?
it doesnt really matter, because scola wants alot of money, and the spurs arent willing to give it to him.

FromWayDowntown

One way to make that speculation come true is, of course, to deal off the guy who's starting at center -- or the guy who started at center before the guy who's starting at center.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
No, that our current big men outside of Duncan aren't good post scorers.

That doesn't mean he's ONLY good relative to the Spurs other players. I don't think he's Hakeem, but it sounds as if he's a capable low post player.

objective
02-13-2007, 05:31 PM
More expensive?

not to get into the middle of it, but that's some good trolling

Scola according to the Express was wanting 3 yrs - 9/10 million. A bit more than half the MLE.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Finally.

AFBlue
02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
More like Snory Smellis.

:lol ....brought your A game today Chump

Normally I find you annoying and rediculous...but not today! ;)

T Park
One way to make that speculation come true is, of course, to deal off the guy who's starting at center -- or the guy who started at center before the guy who's starting at center.

Im down for getting rid of Oberto.....

v2freak
Looks like a good trade, but I thought Williams could have helped this team. Defensive-minded player that can shoot and is long

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
but that's some good trolling

Scola according to the Express was wanting 3 yrs - 9/10 million. A bit more than half the MLE

My sources are way better than them, and I think they ryme with snory smellis....

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
i really think that spurs fans(including me)are so desperate this year,cause of the FO cheapness,that we wanna think and belive that anybody will be the next D robinson.
Like I said,I hope it works out for the spurs,and this guy can get 7-8 boards p/game.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Normally I find you annoying and rediculous...but not today!I've got seven hours left to change your mind.

timvp
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
When the second heaviest player on the active roster was Beno Udrih, something had to be done. If Ely can crack the rotation, this could go down as one of the better Spurs' trades.

Nothing for a rotational big?

Thank you, Charlotte.

AFBlue
Looks like a good trade, but I thought Williams could have helped this team. Defensive-minded player that can shoot and is long

Whether he "could have" or not, he wasn't going to help. The Spurs brought him in to see if he could help out, he obviously didn't show enough to grab more minutes and the Spurs weren't miraculously going to turn to him in crunch time. At one point, very early, the Spurs thought they might have something....then he became trade bait.

T Park
:lol

lefty
I hope this trade have will a similar effect as Nazr's transaction (2005)

objective
Hopefully Ely will get a chance to play.

Nazr didn't really get a chance at decent minutes until Rasho got hurt in 05. Then again Nazr had nagging injury problems. And of course Rasho was more established as a starter than Elson/Oberto.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
When the second heaviest player on the active roster was Beno Udrih, something had to be done.:lmao

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
When the second heaviest player on the active roster was Beno Udrih, something had to be done. If Ely can crack the rotation, this could go down as one of the better Spurs' trades.

Nothing for a rotational big?

Thank you, Charlotte

Exactly.

And if he doesn't crack the rotation, then it was just a step sideways.

No big deal.

Just like the Reid for Charles Smith trade...

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Nazr didn't really get a chance at decent minutes until Rasho got hurt in 05. Then again Nazr had nagging injury problems. And of course Rasho was more established as a starter than Elson/Oberto.

Nazr's hamstring was never right the whole time with the spurs.

Everytime he sat down hed have a heating pad put on it quickly....

ShoogarBear
02-13-2007, 05:38 PM
More like it might rhyme with Snory Smellis.:rollin

Better that than Musty Larva.

alamo50
02-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't understand all the hating on Elson, realy I do not.
He was brought in to do exactly what he is showing most of the time while learning the system in beween injuries.

I bring some crows from Amsterdam for y'all come playoff time vs. Dallas.

:hungry:

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Alamo, I thought hes done good against the teams he was brought in to go against.

Athletic running teams, that are smaller and play small alot.

AKA, Washington, Phoenix, dallas....

MoSpur
02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I hope this trade have will a similar effect as Nazr's transaction (2005)

Exactly

bigdog
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM
i really think that spurs fans(including me)are so desperate this year,cause of the FO cheapness,that we wanna think and belive that anybody will be the next D robinson.
Like I said,I hope it works out for the spurs,and this guy can get 7-8 boards p/game.
wait a minute there, i dont think i expect anybody to be the next robinson at all. we just want people that can help in some way possible,and that are capable of playing tough, and when duncan is on the bench, these guys can produce

Solid D
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Is it true that Melvin is so mean, they named an underwear-pullin' maneuver after him?

ManuTastic
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Ely - 28 yrs old and could actually play meaningful minutes
Williams - 208 yrs old and glued to bench.

Mission Accomplished, and thanks for your service. I do like what Williams used to be able to do years ago, but I'm happy he fulfilled his destiny here as trade fodder and brought us someone who might actually help us rebound the ball and play D inside.

Borosai
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
But will he play at all? I wonder...

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Rasho Nesterovic for Matt Bonner and Melvin Ely

I defy you to tell me thats not in the top 5 best spurs trades of all time.

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
:lmao @ Borosai's sig

ploto
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I will be surpirsed if this accomplishes anything more than getting the Spurs below the luxury tax threshold. Have the Spurs turned into the Knicks, accumulating Power Forwards?

T Park
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I will be surpirsed if this accomplishes anything more than getting the Spurs below the luxury tax threshold. Have the Spurs turned into the Knicks, accumulating Power Forwards?

:lmao

Too bad the guy wasn't white or slovenian, then Ploto would've approved... :lmao

ggoose25
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
i dont know about anyone else, but i'm ready to jump on the ely bandwagon

objective
previous games against Spurs:

04/05 :

game 1 - 30 minutes , 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks in a blowout loss to Spurs

game 2 - 22 minutes, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks in another blowout loss

05/06

game 1 - 21m, 10 pts, 9 rbs, 0 blocks in an 8 point loss

game 2 - 27m, 9pts, 4 rbs, 1 block in blowout loss

06/07 - did not play against Spurs

ploto
I call it desperate to hang your hopes on a guy who barely gets minutes on one of the worst teams in the league. :lol Don't get your hopes up too high. The main goal of this trade was to get below the luxury tax.

He has appeared in 24 games for Charlotte this season and is averaging 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes a game.

timvp
02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
The main goal of this trade was to get below the luxury tax.

We've only been saying that for four hours now.

Supergirl
02-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Dude, I am EXCITED about this move. Spurs have wanted him for awhile, and that's usually a good sign. I see him as potentially taking some SF minutes behind Bowen, and being able to provide more offense on the nights Bowen gives us nothing offensively.

Yes, this means small ball is here to stay. But that is the way it is for everyone in the league - Pistons trading for Webber and benching Mohammed should be an indicator of that.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Uh, Supergirl -- it's not Maggette.

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Dude, I am EXCITED about this move. Spurs have wanted him for awhile, and that's usually a good sign. I see him as potentially taking some SF minutes behind Bowen, and being able to provide more offense on the nights Bowen gives us nothing offensively.

Yes, this means small ball is here to stay. But that is the way it is for everyone in the league - Pistons trading for Webber and benching Mohammed should be an indicator of that.

Only way Ely effects Bowen's minutes is if the Spurs do whottt's plan and play Elson at SF.

Borosai
02-13-2007, 06:02 PM
By the way, is he quick enough to defend bigs on the perimeter?

ploto
Well, I just got here and according to this thread- he is the new starter and savior of the Spurs!!

T Park
Ely Duncan elson on the floor together would be interesting to watch....

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 06:03 PM
By the way, is he quick enough to defend bigs on the perimeter?Nope.

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Ely Duncan elson on the floor together would be interesting to watch....

borderline unstoppable IMO...

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Nope.

Yeah, Ely will be good to use against teams not located in Dallas or Phoenix.

Hoy
[QUOTE=Supergirl]I see him as potentially taking some SF minutes behind Bowen, and being able to provide more offense on the nights Bowen gives us nothing offensively. QUOTE]

:wtf

ArgSpursFan

not true,you said basically he would fix the spurs interior scoring and rebounding issues they have right now.
he better do more tham 2.9 ppg and 1.6 rpg to earn 3.3 M p/year.
otherwise heīll end up cleaning holtīs house for free to get some money back out of him.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 06:07 PM
not true,you said basically he would fix the spurs interior scoring and rebounding issues they have right now.Nope.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, Ely will be good to use against teams not located in Dallas or Phoenix

Eh, well see.

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 06:08 PM
not true,you said basically he would fix the spurs interior scoring and rebounding issues they have right now.

Actually he said that he'll have to work hard even to get off IR.

He'll start off as IR fodder and will have to show something in practice to move higher in the depth charts.

There's a good chance he gets IR'ed for the rest of the season. If Ely cracks the rotation, that's a plus.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I doubt he gets IRed...

The guy is too highly liked by pop to be...

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I think he'll get IR when he first gets here because he won't know anything.

But he's better than Oberto and Elson to me.

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
If the trade is for Eric Williams, a draft pick and cash ... it'll be more of a cost cutting move than a basketball move.

That was before the announcement of what the trade exactly was.

Well, at least ArgScolaFan wasn't calling me racist like last time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
I call it desperate to hang your hopes on a guy who barely gets minutes on one of the worst teams in the league. :lol Don't get your hopes up too high. The main goal of this trade was to get below the luxury tax.

Kinda like carrying a vendetta against the Spurs front office for getting rid of Nesterosloth, eh?

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Him out there not knowing whats going on is better than what they have now.

gregpschneid
02-13-2007, 06:17 PM

it's horry that shouldn't be playing. He is absolutely worthless now.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually he said that he'll have to work hard even to get off IR.

so,you wanna make me bring all his post since The trade was done?Iīm too tired right now kori,but i promest you,Iīm gonna star a thread tomorow,with all TIMVPīs posts
Thereīs one on top of my head right now:Ļthanx CharlotteĻ
I though we were getting okaford when i red that,but he was talking about Ely.anyways...................... :smokin

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Too bad we couldn't find a way to add Brevin Knight into the Mix

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
it's horry that shouldn't be playing. He is absolutely worthless now.

its oberto thats worthless, get a clue.

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
so,you wanna make me bring all his post since The trade was done?Iīm too tired right now kori,but i promest you,Iīm gonna star a thread tomorow,with all TIMVPīs posts
Thereīs one on top of my head right now:Ļthanx CharlotteĻ
I though we were getting okaford when i red that,but he was talking about Ely.anyways...................... :smokin

Uh getting Ely for nothing is a good trade.

Once again, thanks Charlotte.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:30 PM
So does the Front office return to a good FO again, if Ely produces a Malik Rose type role?

texbound
02-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I am confident the Spurs are not done yet. THey will now be able to trade Oberto(hopefully) or another big + Beno + someone else or 1st round pick for that needed backup PG or SF or both

I agree, I don't think the Spurs are done. I remember the Spurs were interested in Chucky Atkins as BPG not too long ago. Could a Beno + Oberto for Atkins trade be on the horizon? Don't know, but it was reported that JWest does like Oberto. Getting Melvin Ely means the Spurs can now afford to lose Oberto.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Uh getting Ely for nothing is a good trade.

Once again, thanks Charlotte.

Iīm not saying he aint nothing,Iīm saying he aint fuc***g Jesus Crist or the spurs savior.thatīs all.
Iīm with ploto.
the spurs are just blowing some smoke upon the fans right now with this trade to cover all the mistakes of the offseason thatīs all.
Didnīt you see who exited they all got with this?

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
So does the Front office return to a good FO again, if Ely produces a Malik Rose type role?

I'm not sure that anything in Ely's background suggests that anyone could reasonably expect him to play the way Malik did between 1999-2003.

We'll be pretty fortunate if he approximates Samaki Walker.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure that anything in Ely's background suggests that anyone could reasonably expect him to play the way Malik did between 1999-2003.

not last year when he averaged 10 and 6?

Man malik was an all star....

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
the Spurs might as well just start him, because right now anything would be a major upgrade of the joke that is the rotation of Elson/Oberto/Horry

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Malik is perennial allstar in the East!

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Ely takes Bobcats' offer
Forward will stay put, battle for playing time at crowded position
RICK BONNELL

Charlotte restricted free agent Melvin Ely signed a one-year qualifying offer with the team Monday, worth about $3.3 million.Melvin Ely said his heart won out over his head.

Ely chose a one-year, $3 million qualifying offer from the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday over a multiyear contract from the Phoenix Suns. While hardly a bad decision financially, his choice throws him into a crowded pool of power forwards entering training camp today at UNC Wilmington.

Ely, a restricted free agent all summer, doesn't sound rattled by the competition with Emeka Okafor, Sean May, Othella Harrington and Walter Herrmann.

"I know coach's system and I know what he wants," he said. "Why start over somewhere else?"

Coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff had agreed to sign-and-trade scenarios with the Suns and the Golden State Warriors, concerning Ely. The challenge was Ely's agent, Dan Fegan, working out an acceptable contract with one of those teams.

"Both those teams had interest in me, and I'm happy to be loved, but I didn't feel comfortable making a move," Ely said. "There was a crowd last year, too, and I ended up getting time. I don't mind earning it."

Ely played extensively last season, averaging 23.6 minutes in 57 games. He had the best training camp of any Bobcat, Bickerstaff said, and benefited from injuries to other players at his primary position.

Okafor was limited to 26 games by a severe ankle sprain and May was held to 23 games by knee surgery. The situation grew so extreme that small forward Gerald Wallace filled in at power forward, and he wants nothing to do with that again.

Ely signing the qualifying offer means the Bobcats have 16 players under guaranteed contract. The maximum NBA roster is 15, so barring some unlikely two-for-one trade, there's a good chance the Bobcats will eat a contract by the start of the regular season.

Bickerstaff said that's not a concern, in part because they had to get up to a minimum payroll of $39.9 million this season under NBA rules, which Ely's signing helps accomplish.

Ely said he gained 10 pounds of muscle (up to 245 pounds), playing extensively in Las Vegas during the summer with the likes of Kevin Garnett and Antoine Walker. He is probably the Bobcats' best low-post scorer; the issue with him has always been pedestrian rebounding (4.9 per game last season).

"I know I need to be a good rebounder," Ely said. "Do that on this team and you stay on the court."

Son of a beech. Dan Fegan is his agent?

Well, at least the Spurs kept him away from the Suns. This season, at least.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM

He averaged 10 and 5 for a team that had Okafor for 26 games and May for 23 games. Someone was going to roll up numbers. Nothing in Ely's history suggests that he's ever going to be the type of guy who can be as productive as Malik was in his heyday. I realize that you're completely in the tank with your belief that Ely might be a savior -- and I'll admit, if the Spurs get Malik-like production, I'll be thrilled. But there's nothing there, on paper or from what I've seen for myself -- that suggests to me that comparing Melvin Ely with Malik Rose (circa 1999-2003) is realistic.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Son of a beech. Dan Fegan is his agent?

Well, at least the Spurs kept him away from the Suns. This season, at least.Just make sure his fax machine is working.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
He averaged 23 minutes a game last year.

Give him that, and give oberto back to argentina.

itzsoweezee
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM
won't be any help against dallas or phoenix (i guess not a bad backup for duncan) but might possibly provide big minutes against teams like houston or miami.

of course, none of this will matter if pop continues to play small ball and continues to not play any sort of consistent lineup.

Bruno
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM
The main goal of this trade was to get below the luxury tax.

Spurs are still over the lux tax after this trade. :rolleyes

SequSpur
02-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I think before the Spurs started losing every other game Williams was actually contributing. :D

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 06:46 PM
If Ely were to get 20 mpg, I would expect him not to put up much more than 6 and 5. BUT I'd expect him not to let people body him up. I'd expect him to use that wingspan to block some shots. I'd expect him to be be another post option when Duncan is out (the Spurs don't have another one). I'd expect him not to get pushed out of rebounding position like Elson does and I'd expect him to not be afraid to get a little nasty if need be.

That all being said, I have no idea how much the Spurs will use him.

I know they wanted him in the past, but I don't know if that will translate to IR, primary backup big, or even ... dare I say ... starter.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:47 PM
If Ely were to get 20 mpg, I would expect him not to put up much more than 6 and 5. BUT I'd expect him not to let people body him up. I'd expect him to use that wingspan to block some shots. I'd expect him to be be another post option when Duncan is out (the Spurs don't have another one). I'd expect him not to get pushed out of rebounding position like Elson does and I'd expect him to not be afraid to get a little nasty if need be.

If given the minutes, not out of the realm of possibility at all...

ShoogarBear
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
I knew this trade was gonna get Sequ back on the bandwagon.
:cheer

PM5K
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
He averaged 23 minutes a game last year.

Give him that, and give oberto back to argentina.

lol...

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM

That all being said, I have no idea how much the Spurs will use him.

I know they wanted him in the past, but I don't know if that will translate to IR, primary backup big, or even ... dare I say ... starter.

Jezz,i canīt belive we were the defending world champs last year.did we get so average(or may I say shity)team?

gregpschneid
02-13-2007, 06:51 PM
its oberto thats worthless, get a clue.

Horry is worthless. He's a terrible defender and when pop goes with the stupid small ball lineup and uses horry as the big guy the spurs can't get a rebound. He has a decent game about every 10 or so games. If pop had replaced horry with nazr or rasho last year, the spurs would have won that series.

Oberto in 19 min

5 pts on 55%
5 reb
1assist

horry in 18 min

3.7 pts on 33.5% from 2 and 32% from 3
3.6 reb
1.7 assists

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Horry = Second best bigman defender on the Spurs.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Horry is worthless. He's a terrible defender and when pop goes with the stupid small ball lineup and uses horry as the big guy the spurs can't get a rebound. He has a decent game about every 10 or so games. If pop had replaced horry with nazr or rasho last year, the spurs would have won that series.

Oberto in 19 min

5 pts on 55%
5 reb
1assist

horry in 18 min

3.7 pts on 33.5% from 2 and 32% from 3
3.6 reb
1.7 assists

Finally somebody with some brain around here,Iīm not saying Oberto is doing good,but he has average buckup C numbers.
and honestly I donīt think Ely is no better tham bonner or elson either.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I seriously hope that was just to illustrate how poor the interior defense is, because Horry's a dismally bad defender.

Kori Ellis
Jezz,i canīt belive we were the defending world champs last year.did we get so average(or may I say shity)team?

The Spurs have subpar bigmen.

They had subpar bigmen last year too - that's why they had to go small (and got outrebounded/out defended and lost).

ArgSpursFan

tell me where you watched the Defending part of the 37 yrs old Horry,I wanna see it too. :smokin

Tigole Bitties
02-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Will Melvin dress up in silver & black tonight against the Nets?

So why the hell did the Spurs pickup Jackie Butler if he's not getting any minutes?

both are 6'10" 250-260 pounders

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
tell me where you watched the Defending part of the 37 yrs old Horry,I wanna see it too

All of the games this year Horry has been.

Quit acting like Oberto is worth a shit.

Horry could do horrible and still contribute more than that long haired fucker.

Leetonidas
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know if it's been asked or what and I doubt he will, but will Ely be in uniform tonight?

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Will Melvin dress up in silver & black tonight against the Nets?

So why the hell did the Spurs pickup Jackie Butler if he's not getting any minutes?

both are 6'10" 250-260 pounders

Hs not playing till next year........

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know if it's been asked or what and I doubt he will, but will Ely be in uniform tonight?No. Needs a physical.

jcrod

Which is sad becuase he sucks.

ArgSpursFan

They had subpar bigmen last year too - that's why they had to go small (and got outrebounded/out defended and lost).

Kori,I know many of the folks here donīt like Oberto and Elson,and theyīre right,theyīre not real good to be starters but they put average numbers for a decent buck up C.I didnīt like Nazr as well,But I liked rasho,I must say.
but to say that a guy who averages 1.6 rpg can be a starter C or PF for the spurs,Its a little too much.
But, like I said before,I hope it works out for the spurs.
Weīll see by the end of the season,who was wright on who wasnīt

timvp
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
At the earliest, Ely could be in uniform against Detroit. But more likely, it won't be until after the All-Star break.

Leetonidas
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
No. Needs a physical.
Thanks Chump.

itzsoweezee
02-13-2007, 07:11 PM

their supposed subpar bigmen were still a better option than small ball. and ely isn't any better than nazr or rasho.

the problem wasn't the bigmen, the problem was popovich because he chose the poorer strategy and continues to do so. the only hope the spurs have this year is that this trade somehow results in a change in popovich and his coaching mentality. nothing i've seen from him suggests that's the case, but we can hope.

exstatic
02-13-2007, 07:28 PM
What kind of improvement were you expecting for someone who has bounced between #12 and #15 on our roster? KG?

kskonn
02-13-2007, 07:28 PM

We'll be pretty fortunate if he approximates Samaki Walker.
Malik did not show much until then either... Malik was great in the spurs system has not been much out of the system. It is not unreasonable to think this guy could contribute as malik did.

exstatic
02-13-2007, 07:41 PM
We started Oberto or gave him rotation minutes. End of story.

ArgSpursFan
02-13-2007, 07:45 PM
We started Oberto or gave him rotation minutes. End of story.

I know,and now Ely.
this is just too sad.

KB24
02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao Ely

SenorSpur
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I agree, I don't think the Spurs are done. I remember the Spurs were interested in Chucky Atkins as BPG not too long ago. Could a Beno + Oberto for Atkins trade be on the horizon? Don't know, but it was reported that JWest does like Oberto. Getting Melvin Ely means the Spurs can now afford to lose Oberto.

That's a good idea. But I don't know that there's even a market for Oberto. It seems to me the only team that would value a foreign player of Oberto's ilk is the Spurs.

lefty
02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
That's a good idea. But I don't know that there's even a market for Oberto. It seems to me the only team that would value a foreign player of Oberto's ilk is the Spurs.

Damn if West is intestested in Obero...Dilemna here, because West is a great GM, and id he sees something in Obero...

timvp
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
For the first time this season, Oberto didn't play in the first half. I don't think the Spurs make a trade for a bigman and coincidentally Oberto's minutes go down.

The question is whether the Spurs are just making room in the rotation for Ely or whether perhaps the Spurs are thinking about shipping off Oberto.

Interesting development.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Is it bad that we gave up another pick for this chodd

T Park
02-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Or pop has just nelegated him back to 12th man status where he belongs

conversekid
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
At the earliest, Ely could be in uniform against Detroit. But more likely, it won't be until after the All-Star break.

Agree - he prob won't see time until he has some time to work with the team to get some feel for the defensive scheme.

rascal
02-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Thats what I was thinking. The spurs can move one of their bigs for a backup pg now. Arroyo would be nice or take a chance with Telfair.

baseline bum
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Fuck... Butler got a million tonight. He was saved from the trillion only by his 2 assist and 2 fouls.

ShoogarBear
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
He did land on his ass nicely that one time.

texbound
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
For the first time this season, Oberto didn't play in the first half. I don't think the Spurs make a trade for a bigman and coincidentally Oberto's minutes go down.

The question is whether the Spurs are just making room in the rotation for Ely or whether perhaps the Spurs are thinking about shipping off Oberto.

Interesting development.

Interesting indeed.

While JVaughn has been playing solid defense of late, his lack of scoring from the perimeter is harmful. I still think the Bride of Chucky will be wearing a Spurs uniform come Feb 23rd and Oberto will be accompanying Jerry West on scouting trips with Beno carrying their luggage.

Budkin
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I know it doesn't really make a difference but the Mavs just rallied from 11 down in the 4th to win against the Bucks. I remember when we used to be able to do that... maybe we will again?

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
thank god we went after ely

i knew this would happen since he was on the market and wanted a trade out of charlotte.

this would probably solve our reb problems, if not he end up another stick figure like his twin elson on the fuckn bench

Pugglekicker_21
02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
hmmm, its seems this must have been posted a bit earlier in the day. There's been a lot of threads going around saying this and then having the creator being flamed for some reason so my head is spinning right now.

RC's Boss
02-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Interesting indeed.

While JVaughn has been playing solid defense of late, his lack of scoring from the perimeter is harmful. I still think the Bride of Chucky will be wearing a Spurs uniform come Feb 23rd and Oberto will be accompanying Jerry West on scouting trips with Beno carrying their luggage.
Who is the bride of Chucky?

timvp
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Ely of the tiger? Motivated Melvin can help S.A.
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

San Antonio, it's time to meet your potential savior.

His name is Melvin Ely, and he toiled in relative obscurity with the Bobcats and Clippers, a former lottery pick heavy on potential and light on production.

A decade ago, Sports Illustrated called him the nation's most sought-after high school post player. He was a terror at Fresno State, finishing as the school's all-time leading scorer and shot blocker.

For the Spurs, he's just what the doctor ordered. He has the talent to be a difference-maker at center, a position that has been a problem spot. He's a potential spark for a team that needs to regain its swagger.

Tim Duncan needs a tag-team partner. Ely just became the second most talented post player on the squad. Sounds like the perfect marriage, right?

Not so fast.

A highly connected scout once called Ely one of the mysteries of the league, physically blessed but tragically immature. "He just doesn't get it," was one description of Ely. His work ethic and attitude have long been questioned.

At this point, he's a bust. A bust who just received an opportunity for a fresh start.

The Spurs acquired him Tuesday for Eric Williams and a second-round pick in 2009, taking a gamble that a winning, veteran-laden environment will make a difference in Ely's career, helping him reach the potential he obviously has.

He has been coveted before -- by championship contenders, at that. Phoenix was interested in adding him, a move that made a lot of sense given their need for athletic size and the uncertainty about Amare Stoudemire's knees at the start of the season. Other teams certainly took looks, sent scouts over to Charlotte and inquired, if only to make a more informed decision.

Ely issued a trade demand earlier in the season, when it was clear he wouldn't beat out Emeka Okafor and Sean May for playing time. Strangely, it was a very formal, yet friendly request, in which he promised he would handle the situation professionally no matter what transpired.

Now he has a solution, sprung from a losing situation where he wasn't playing to one where he can immediately be counted on to help.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has grown increasingly frustrated with what Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson have been able to provide. In three of their last four losses, the Spurs have been outrebounded by double digits. A 46-31 deficit on the boards in Sunday's loss to the Heat set Popovich off again.

"We're still not playing physical enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. We're just hoping and begging rather than playing our ass off. We were beaten to loose balls, second shots, hard drives, hard cuts. We're too soft."

So here comes Ely, who hasn't played more than 23 minutes a game all year, to provide a potential answer. Maybe his arrival will spark Elson and Oberto. Perhaps Ely's first gig with a consistent winner will light a fire under him.

No one said this was a gimme, but he is a potential savior, because San Antonio needs to shake things up. The Spurs are clearly missing something, but aren't interested in overhauling their roster. This is a tweak with a minimal risk and a potentially huge payoff.

Ultimately, it's up to Ely. Given that the NBA sewing circle has already posted a couple of strikes against him, it would be in his best interest to arrive ready to work.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9995033

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
i reckon we couldve got a sweeter deal with the bobcats

maybe acquired okafor or felton or wallace for our fuckn bench

RC's Boss
02-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Melvin Ely.... Sounds like someone that drinks Wild Turkey and dips snuff.

ro_50
02-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Melvin Ely, the funny thing about him, was that he was once considered to be a NBA All-Star talent while he was balling at Fresno State. He has talent but has been noted to be immature, especially in college and by reports, at Charlotte.

Hopefully, he can provide a spark here in San Antonio. Spurs have nothing to lose. He's not expected to become a standout, as long as he plays w/ in the team concept and scores some down-low and rebound as well, I'll be happy.

Kobulingam
02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
1.Beno could get dome minutes with the Clips, so Cassell could save some juice for the playoffs

But they have Livingston to do that job.

lefty
02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
But they have Livingston to do that job.

Yes, but Levingston is more a combo guard than a real PG in my opinion, so he could play SG when Mobley is on the bench.

Or, Beno could be used for garbage time
:lol

mountainballer
02-14-2007, 06:07 AM
just see it this way:
the priority for the FO was, to somehow get under the lux-tax threshold. with this trade this mission should be accomplished, so they can start to work on a deadline trade, that makes the team better.
for us life is easier now, because we can forget about all thoses trades, in which the Williams contract would have been used to make the numbers work.
in other words: Williams + Scola rights for Nocioni (or insert another borderline all-star) no longer is an option. same goes for proposals like E-Will, Beno, and Fabricio....for Gasol. please note!!

but back to Ely. I think it is a great move.
thanks to the saved mony and the expiring contract of Ely and the fact that Williams wasn't a rotation player it has absolutly no downside, but a lot of upside.
even little production from Ely would be an upgrade, but maybe the more important point is, that it opens better options for the Spurs for deadline trades, because they don't need a big back, if they include a big in a package for a wing.

and this is either a good sign or a bad sign:

NBA Comparison: Nazr Mohammed
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/melvinely.htm

leemajors
02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
i reckon we couldve got a sweeter deal with the bobcats

maybe acquired okafor or felton or wallace for our fuckn bench

and how do you figure that?

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Thats what I was thinking. The spurs can move one of their bigs for a backup pg now. Arroyo would be nice or take a chance with Telfair.

Telfair would be considered more of a project than Beno I think, and it would be a big pill to swallow if Telfair is traded for less than another decent young prospect or a proven veteran. I know his trade value isn't that high, but Ainge traded away the #7 pick to get him, so he'll probably be jonesing for alot more than Oberto/Elson. Butler maybe?

Butler + pick for Telfair

I think the chances of landing Arroyo diminshed greatly when the Spurs traded Williams (Magic looking for more cap space to go after big FA this summer). I do like the chances of the Spurs snagging a guy like Diener....

Diener for White?

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
telfairs game is like marbury, no thanks

dude was so overhyped with the shoe deal even b4 he got drafted into the nba

i dont want him anywhere near this spurs team...if he didnt do well in portland, even in boston, i prefer to take rondo or west over him.

VaSpursFan
02-14-2007, 11:34 AM

i dont want him anywhere near this spurs team...if he didnt do well in portland, even in boston, i prefer to take rondo or west over him.

delonte is solid...i wouldn't mind seeing him in a spurs uni

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
delonte is solid...i wouldn't mind seeing him in a spurs uni

West is their starting PG, has the versatility to play SG, and is the heart and soul of Boston's young players (no it's not Jefferson). The only way West is moved is if it's for a bigger fish.

VaSpursFan
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
West is their starting PG, has the versatility to play SG, and is the heart and soul of Boston's young players (no it's not Jefferson). The only way West is moved is if it's for a bigger fish.

i know this...i was just day dreaming :lol

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Agree that Telfair is overhyped, but his game to me is as raw as Tony's was when he came into the league. He has good speed, bulk, vision, and most importantly the time to grow (still only 21). He has sorely lacked the mentoring needed for him to take the next step as he has been on largely youth-run teams (case-in-point, he has been anointed the starter at each stop without earning it first).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a perfect fit and the answer for backup PG but I think SA would provide the humbling experience he needs (small market with no guaranteed minutes on a veteran team).

Again, that's assuming he's available for a reasonable price...which is highly unlikely as Danny Ainge surrendured a top 10 pick for him less than 12 months ago (pride will get in his way).