PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Swap of reserves lands Ely

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Spurs acquire forward in trade: Swap of reserves lands Ely, sends Williams to Bobcats

Web Posted: 02/13/2007 10:37 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021407.07C.BKNspurs.ely.1b79ff0.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — In a move that is more likely to impact the Spurs' inactive list than the balance of power in the Western Conference, the team acquired Charlotte forward Melvin Ely on Tuesday in exchange for Eric Williams and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

Ely, 28, averaged 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes over 24 games with the Bobcats this season. He is expected to join the team during this weekend's All-Star break.

Williams, who was acquired from Toronto in last summer's trade for Rasho Nesterovic, appeared in 16 games for a total of 88 minutes. He performed well during his longest stint on the floor, scoring 14 points and making 4 of 9 3-pointers in 18 minutes in a loss against Milwaukee, but was never given much of an opportunity in games to earn a spot in the rotation.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said two weeks ago if the team decided to make a trade, it would involve only a "peripheral player."

"As I said, I wasn't going to make a trade for our top eight, nine, 10, 11 guys, but Eric was on the injured list," Popovich said. "We traded an injured-list guy for an injured-list guy."

Ely, who requested a trade in mid-December, is 6-foot-10 and athletic, giving the Spurs another big man. While Ely is considered a respectable low-post scorer — he averaged a career-best 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds in 57 games last season — he also has shown to be a poor defender and rebounder, two areas in which the Spurs are already lacking.

"He's another athletic big (man) for us to take a look at," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

Popovich said Ely first needs to improve his conditioning.

"He's not in shape," Popovich said. "He hasn't played much at all in Charlotte. Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have."

Ely's $3.3 million contract expires at the end of the season. Because Williams is making $4.3million, the Spurs agreed to pay Charlotte the pro-rated difference between the two.

The trade also moves the Spurs significantly closer to getting under the luxury-tax threshold, though Buford said that is not a priority.

Williams, who didn't return a message left on his cell phone, attended shootaround with the Spurs on Tuesday morning before Popovich notified him of the trade at the team hotel. The deal was finalized midafternoon, and the team was told on the bus ride from New York.

"We were not thinking there would be changes," Manu Ginobili said. "But we know that when the season is not going good, something may happen.

"Probably for both, it's a good thing. Eric was not playing much, Ely there either."

The Spurs also inquired about Portland center Jamaal Magloire before agreeing to the deal with Charlotte, and Buford said the team would "continue to evaluate opportunities as they present themselves" before the Feb. 22 trade deadline.

The Spurs, however, lost one of their better assets in Williams' expiring contract, decreasing the likelihood of them making a bigger trade. They could conceivably trade Ely by the deadline but only in a one-for-one deal.

Briefly: Matt Bonner has been cleared to play, but Popovich opted to "err on the side of caution" and keep him on the inactive list. He could be in uniform tonight.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
The trade also moves the Spurs significantly closer to getting under the luxury-tax threshold, though Buford said that is not a priority.

timvp
02-14-2007, 12:10 AM
^^Expect RC to be fired in the morning.

:smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 12:11 AM
L O Lll

ro_50
I forgot Pop said that but I hope he at least gets some playing time.

If he's in shape and willing to work hard, I don't see how you can not give him some time.

Put it this way, if Ely is in shape, you can at least expect he will give you as much as the anemic tandem of Elson and Oberto is giving right now.

timvp
"We traded an injured-list guy for an injured-list guy."

Not a ringing endorsement ... but then again Pop said Rasho's job was safe when they traded for Nazr.

milkyway21
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Jamal Magloire was a better option. why it didn't work out?Ely is not a good defensive player.

well...

Big P
02-14-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm sure the Magloire trade didn't work out because he is making $8.3 mil this year & matching salaries would definitly be tougher to accomplish. We didn't have enough expiring contracts & I'm sure Portland did not want to take any contracts that lasted more than this year.

T Park
02-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Ely is not a good defensive player.

well...

God I wish you people would stop pushing that bull.

He is a pretty good defender, in fact, its one of his selling points.

If Pop places this guy on IR and doesn't play him, then I might join the faction of fire pop protesters.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Expwess-Mews spreading 'mo lies.

dbestpro
02-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Here is another opinion.

Power Rankings: Ely of the tiger? Motivated Melvin can help S.A.
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Updated Feb. 13

San Antonio, it's time to meet your potential savior.

Gregg Popovich is frustrated with his team's play in the paint.
His name is Melvin Ely, and he toiled in relative obscurity with the Bobcats and Clippers, a former lottery pick heavy on potential and light on production.

A decade ago, Sports Illustrated called him the nation's most sought-after high school post player. He was a terror at Fresno State, finishing as the school's all-time leading scorer and shot blocker.

For the Spurs, he's just what the doctor ordered. He has the talent to be a difference-maker at center, a position that has been a problem spot. He's a potential spark for a team that needs to regain its swagger.

Tim Duncan needs a tag-team partner. Ely just became the second most talented post player on the squad. Sounds like the perfect marriage, right?

Not so fast.

A highly connected scout once called Ely one of the mysteries of the league, physically blessed but tragically immature. "He just doesn't get it," was one description of Ely. His work ethic and attitude have long been questioned.

At this point, he's a bust. A bust who just received an opportunity for a fresh start.

The Spurs acquired him Tuesday for Eric Williams and a second-round pick in 2009, taking a gamble that a winning, veteran-laden environment will make a difference in Ely's career, helping him reach the potential he obviously has.

He has been coveted before -- by championship contenders, at that. Phoenix was interested in adding him, a move that made a lot of sense given their need for athletic size and the uncertainty about Amare Stoudemire's knees at the start of the season. Other teams certainly took looks, sent scouts over to Charlotte and inquired, if only to make a more informed decision.

Ely issued a trade demand earlier in the season, when it was clear he wouldn't beat out Emeka Okafor and Sean May for playing time. Strangely, it was a very formal, yet friendly request, in which he promised he would handle the situation professionally no matter what transpired.

Will Melvin Ely help the Spurs?
Yes: He's a good fit
No: Who's Melvin Ely

Now he has a solution, sprung from a losing situation where he wasn't playing to one where he can immediately be counted on to help.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has grown increasingly frustrated with what Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson have been able to provide. In three of their last four losses, the Spurs have been outrebounded by double digits. A 46-31 deficit on the boards in Sunday's loss to the Heat set Popovich off again.

"We're still not playing physical enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. We're just hoping and begging rather than playing our ass off. We were beaten to loose balls, second shots, hard drives, hard cuts. We're too soft."

So here comes Ely, who hasn't played more than 23 minutes a game all year, to provide a potential answer. Maybe his arrival will spark Elson and Oberto. Perhaps Ely's first gig with a consistent winner will light a fire under him.

No one said this was a gimme, but he is a potential savior, because San Antonio needs to shake things up. The Spurs are clearly missing something, but aren't interested in overhauling their roster. This is a tweak with a minimal risk and a potentially huge payoff.

Ultimately, it's up to Ely. Given that the NBA sewing circle has already posted a couple of strikes against him, it would be in his best interest to arrive ready to work.

ShoogarBear
02-14-2007, 01:17 AM

:lmao

T Park
02-14-2007, 01:18 AM
You think he lies?

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, we've filled our Melvin quota for another year. That's something.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 05:31 AM
This trade sounds like less and less like a fincancial move. Spurs have decided to stay slighty above the luxury tax by taking Ely instead of a player like Hermann.

Ely fill a need with spurs : a strong bigman. Spurs have now 7 bigmen and i think that Oberto will be traded soon (if a team is interested in him) : I don't see a reason to use him over Elson against mobile bigmen and I don't see a reason to use him over Ely against strong bigmen.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Spurs acquire forward in trade: Swap of reserves lands Ely, sends Williams to Bobcats

Web Posted: 02/13/2007 10:37 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021407.07C.BKNspurs.ely.1b79ff0.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — In a move that is more likely to impact the Spurs' inactive list than the balance of power in the Western Conference, the team acquired Charlotte forward Melvin Ely on Tuesday in exchange for Eric Williams and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

Ely, 28, averaged 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes over 24 games with the Bobcats this season. He is expected to join the team during this weekend's All-Star break.

"As I said, I wasn't going to make a trade for our top eight, nine, 10, 11 guys, but Eric was on the injured list," Popovich said. "We traded an injured-list guy for an injured-list guy."

Popovich said Ely first needs to improve his conditioning.

"He's not in shape," Popovich said. "He hasn't played much at all in Charlotte. Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have." [/B]

Si,this is the guy who is gonna take as to the WCF?
I guess we all got a little too excited yestarday.
I hope It works out for Williams and ely to see some more playing time.and for the spurs to have another buckup PF.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Not a ringing endorsement ... but then again Pop said Rasho's job was safe when they traded for Nazr.

I'm sure Pop just wants to put his players at ease about any major shakeups, but he's going to great lengths to downplay this deal.

Ely probably won't be the "savior" like the CBS article claims, but this kid has real value.

Pop can be an ass sometimes...

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 08:53 AM
This trade sounds like less and less like a fincancial move. Spurs have decided to stay slighty above the luxury tax by taking Ely instead of a player like Hermann.
Ely fill a need with spurs : a strong bigman. Spurs have now 7 bigmen and i think that Oberto will be traded soon (if a team is interested in him) : I don't see a reason to use him over Elson against mobile bigmen and I don't see a reason to use him over Ely against strong bigmen.

They are not gonna let Him go,eventhough he is not playing big minutes and mostly plays in blow out games.
I was watching on the Argentinians news that Herrmann said Ļcoaches told me to take it easy this yearĻ,and to try to get used to the NBA and the new way of living in the US.
I think they expect him to play some more minutes next year,and developes his game also.

exstatic
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Ely is a rental.

"He's not in shape," Popovich said. "He hasn't played much at all in Charlotte. Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have."
Considering that they've been working Butler since training camp and still don't think Butler is in shape, I think he has little chance of meaningful minutes. Wouldn't surprise me to see Melvin in a suit as Pop's big "Fuck you" to his agent.

Bartzini
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Why would they go through all the trouble of the trade, if they are just gonna let him expire on the IR all season.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Why would they go through all the trouble of the trade, if they are just gonna let him expire on the IR all season.

they probably want him to keep Scolaīs chair on the bench wormed out till the offseason. :smokin

MoSpur
02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
As most of the time, Pop isn't telling the whole truth. I don't think Ely will play right away, but I think as he learns the system a little more and gets into better shape that he will start to play.

bdictjames
02-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Ely and Jackie both need to work their butts out into shape; we need them in the playoffs.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 09:42 AM
They are not gonna let Him go,eventhough he is not playing big minutes and mostly plays in blow out games.

I've said "like Hermann".

My point is that this deal isn't only a financial move. After this deal Spurs are still over the luxury tax while they could easily do a trade to go under even without involving another bocats' player.

A financial move would have been : Charlotte waive Ely and then Spurs trade Williams + cash + 2nd for nothing. Spurs should have given more cash to cover Ely remaining salary but they would have saved more money with this trade becasue this deal would have put them under the tax.

Bottomline is that Ely will be more than a contract for Spurs : it's a gamble and they hope that he will help them this year. Another conclusion is that Spurs will still do another trade to go under the tax : they are now $300k over the tax and if they can lower their payroll by $300K, they will save $2.5M.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
"He's not in shape," Popovich said. "He hasn't played much at all in Charlotte. Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have." :lol ....So what's the point then?

T Park
02-14-2007, 09:53 AM
you people arent using the secret CIA pop decoder ring when reading those comments......

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM

My point is that this deal isn't only a financial move. After this deal Spurs are still over the luxury tax while they could easily do a trade to go under even without involving another bocats' player.

A financial move would have been : Charlotte waive Ely and then Spurs trade Williams + cash + 2nd for nothing. Spurs should have given more cash to cover Ely remaining salary but they would have saved more money with this trade becasue this deal would have put them under the tax.

Bottomline is that Ely will be more than a contract for Spurs : it's a gamble and they hope that he will help them this year. Another conclusion is that Spurs will still do another trade to go under the tax : they are now $300k over the tax and if they can lower their payroll by $300K, they will save $2.5M.
I hope it works out financially and on the floor too.
In my opinion they broght him as a Buckup PF,not to play along with Duncan,so i donīt see him playing that much when Bonner gets back to the rotation.
Elson and Oberto are gonna continue being centers,Eventhough I donīt think Oberto can do much for the spurs.
Hopefully the small ball minutes are gonna go down with this guy on the rotation.
In my opinion Horry is getting screw if Ely gets to see some playing time.

VaSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
pop is full of shit. i get the feeling that he's going to throw ely right into the mix and let him learn the system like elson did. an ely with piss poor conditioning is better than the franberto tandem.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
pop is full of shit. i get the feeling that he's going to throw ely right into the mix and let him learn the system like elson did. an ely with piss poor conditioning is better than the franberto tandem.

listen,I know Oberto and Elson are playing bellow the expectations,but If you play a 6.10 Pf as a Center,we go back to the Small ball bullshit again,that I think Pop is getting tired about.

VaSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:30 AM
listen,I know Oberto and Elson are playing bellow the expectations,but If you play a 6.10 Pf as a Center,we go back to the Small ball bullshit again,that I think Pop is getting tired about.

ely has the weight, 260 lbs and the sick wing span to bang with centers. he has the athleticism also. oberto is too gravity challenged and too weak to bang down low. elson is just too light to bang. ely is a wide body that knows how to use it.

ely isn't small ball. there's only a 2 inch difference between a 6'10 center and one 7 ft. ely's wing span helps to mitigate that height differential.

Testing
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm so tired of Pop and this organization's insistance on continuing to play guys who are clearly not producing: Horry, Elson, Oberto, Barry (defensive), Finley, etc. when he has guys like Butler, Williams (then), and now Ely on the bench not even getting a chance. What's he have to lose? I doubt Ely will get significant playing time to adjust his game and learn the system. Pop will most likely continue playing the scrubs in Elson and Oberto or Finley in smallball time.

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
30 games isn't enough to bring a guy around slowly. Ely will get in the mix pretty rapidly, I'd say.

Olajuwon was 6'10". Mourning is 6'10". Saying a guy that height can't play center is dumb.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
ely has the weight, 260 lbs and the sick wing span to bang with centers. he has the athleticism also. oberto is too gravity challenged and too weak to bang down low. elson is just too light to bang. ely is a wide body that knows how to use it.

ely isn't small ball. there's only a 2 inch difference between a 6'10 center and one 7 ft. ely's wing span helps to mitigate that height differential.

I think you missed something,if you play Ely as a center,we go back to the lack of rebounding,ely averages 1.6 rpg.and he is not a good shot blocker.thatīs not even half of the rebounds Elson gets.
So,no, he is a PF,not a center.
SMALL BALL MUST DIE!
remember that.

cherylsteele
02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
30 games isn't enough to bring a guy around slowly. Ely will get in the mix pretty rapidly, I'd say.

Olajuwon was 6'10". Mourning is 6'10". Saying a guy that height can't play center is dumb.
Yes and add to that Ben Wallace is only 6'9"....7'1" with the afro.:)

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:43 AM

i know that,and barkley was 6.7 i belive.
but they all could rebound the ball,something Ely needs to learn(and quickly)

mountainballer
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM

another CBA question for you Bruno:
I thought a veteran minimum contract only counts as a 2nd year minimum salary (744K) for the lux tax. if this is right, then Vaughn salary wouldn't count for the whole number ( 1.07 million). wouldn't this put the Spurs below the threshold?
(or do I mix some things up)

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I think you missed something,if you play Ely as a center,we go back to the lack of rebounding,ely averages 1.6 rpg.and he is not a good shot blocker.thatīs not even half of the rebounds Elson gets.
So,no, he is a PF,not a center.
SMALL BALL MUST DIE!
remember that.

You've got a good point, that Ely is not a rebounder...but that doesn't make him a PF instead of a C. It makes him a PF or C that doesn't rebound well....

silk
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
ely will certainly suprise you with his rebounding and shoblocking. Next to duncan he could flourish. when we say he's not GREAT at rebound and block it does not mean he's BAD, in fact he's solid .

Bruno
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
another CBA question for you Bruno:
I thought a veteran minimum contract only counts as a 2nd year minimum salary (744K) for the lux tax. if this is right, then Vaughn salary wouldn't count for the whole number ( 1.07 million). wouldn't this put the Spurs below the threshold?
(or do I mix some things up)

You're right on Vaughn but White counts to for $744K (slighty less in fact since he has signed few days after the start of the season) against the luxury tax.

The rule is :
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#16

For players who signed as free agents (i.e., not draft picks), and make less than the two-year minimum salary, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is used in place of their actual salary.

Spurs salaries' breakdown against the luxury tax is:

Tim Duncan $17,429,671
Tony Parker $9,450,000
Emanuel Ginobili $8,250,000
Brent Barry $5,117,880
Bruce Bowen $3,750,000
Robert Horry $3,315,000
Melvin Ely $3,308,615
Francisco Elson $3,000,000
Michael Finley $2,889,000
Fabricio Oberto $2,500,000
Jackie Butler $2,200,000
Matt Bonner $2,000,000
Beno Udrih $967,920
Jacque Vaughn $744,551
James White $731,412
Rich Melzer $20,000
Jamar Smith $20,000

Taxable payroll : $65,694,049
Spurs are $274,049 over the luxury tax threeshold.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
ely will certainly suprise you with his rebounding and shoblocking. Next to duncan he could flourish. when we say he's not GREAT at rebound and block it does not mean he's BAD, in fact he's solid .

He simply hasn't shown the propensity to rebound....it's a fact. He's currently below average in that category and if he shows something more, I guarantee he'll see more time.

He is, however, a GOOD shot-blocker. He averaged well over 2 blocks per game in college and has the athleticism & wing span to do so for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Agreed.

This is especially dumb for a coach that extensively utilized former Spurs fan favorite, Malik Rose, at the backup center position. Rose was listed as an undersized 6'7" forward, but we all know he was closer to 6'5". He backed up Duncan for years. Even with that, he was one of our best "energy" players and usually played much bigger that his size.

Spurs Brazil
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Portland will work hard to move center Jamaal Magloire, but the Blazers are looking for expiring contracts and draft picks. They had even contacted the Spurs about Magloire, with an eye on Eric Williams' expiring $4.3 million deal. Tuesday's Spurs-Bobcats trade means that won't happen, but the Blazers will continue to shop around.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021407.07C.COL.BKNmonroe.trades.1fe127d.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
A highly connected scout once called Ely one of the mysteries of the league, physically blessed but tragically immature. "He just doesn't get it," was one description of Ely. His work ethic and attitude have long been questioned.

At this point, he's a bust. A bust who just received an opportunity for a fresh start.

Same description was used for Stephen Jackson when he came here.

He simply hasn't shown the propensity to rebound....it's a fact. He's currently below average in that category and if he shows something more, I guarantee he'll see more time.

Ely's rebounding average from last year currently would put him second on the team behind Duncan.

mardigan
02-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I just dont see how people think this guy wont help, with what we have now Kevin Willis would have helped

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
You've got a good point, that Ely is not a rebounder...but that doesn't make him a PF instead of a C. It makes him a PF or C that doesn't rebound well....
I know PHAT,but my point was that,If the spurs play him as a Center,we may end up going from lack of rebounding to a Ļno rebounding at allĻ issue.
I honestly think this guy is not gonna see much playing time this year,but If he works hard and shows Pop that He wanna take the Buckup PF spot or the starting Center spot,by his work ethic,he may have a chance to play big minutes next year once he gets use to the spurs D.rotation.
But if he thinks that he is gonna get minutes right away on a team like the spurs,while he wasnīt playing at all with the Bobcats,Heīll probably end up asking his agent to get him traded again at the end of the season.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I know PHAT,but my point was that,If the spurs play him as a Center,we may end up going from lack of rebounding to a Ļno rebounding at allĻ issue.
I honestly think this guy is not gonna see much playing time this year,but If he works hard and shows Pop that He wanna take the Buckup PF spot or the starting Center spot,by his work ethic,he may have a chance to play big minutes next year once he gets use to the spurs D.rotation.
But if he thinks that he is gonna get minutes right away on a team like the spurs,while he wasnīt playing at all with the Bobcats,Heīll probably end up asking his agent to get him traded again at the end of the season.

He's a FA at the end of the year, so if he shows the Spurs nothing, they let him walk. Hell, if he shows the Spurs something, they may still let him walk.

He may not be a good rebounder, but he's no worse than what the Spurs have currently. I honestly doubt the Spurs could get worse. And he didn't play in Charlotte because he was in the coach's doghouse....it happens no matter how talented some players are (see: JR Smith).

I don't think he's going to get minutes right away, and I do think he'll have to show the Spurs something in their upcoming practices, but I think he's got a shot to be a rotation guy.

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Melvin Ely will be the most talented Spurs center since Rasho Nesterovic. Book it.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Ely's rebounding average from last year currently would put him second on the team behind Duncan.

I do not, however, agree with this statement. He may be better than what the Spurs have, but that's not saying much. The Spurs are getting heavily outrebounded and while playing Ely might shrink that differential, I'd equate it to putting a bandaid on a broken bone.

I like what Ely could bring...interior O & D, but I don't expect him to bring much else. If he does, I'll be pleasantly suprised.

timvp
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
ArgScolaFan in this thread is trying to convince the world that Ely is a buckup power forward because he wants Oberto to continue to be the buckup center. But the truth is that Ely is taller, heavier, stronger, has longer arms and can jumper higher than Oberto. Ely is more of a center than Oberto is.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
buckup center

:lol Funny, but not nice. You should just tell him he spells it wrong.

Args, honestly no disrespect...

It's backup, and...

than not tham

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
:lol Funny, but not nice. You should just tell him he spells it wrong.

Args, honestly no disrespect...

It's backup, and...

than not tham
Last time I was nice to him he said I was racist.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
ArgScolaFan in this thread is trying to convince the world that Ely is a buckup power forward because he wants Oberto to continue to be the buckup center. But the truth is that Ely is taller, heavier, stronger, has longer arms and can jumper higher than Oberto. Ely is more of a center than Oberto is.

It really looks like you donīt follow this forum at all TIMVP,and instead of keep making yourself look stupid,go back to my posts,and Check when i said that.
even more,youīll find that i said that Oberto canīt do much for the spurs,i also said that they brought him cause they though he was cheaper tham Scola,and was gonna be able to be a second scoring option in the paint.
Now,if you want me to say that Luis Scola can bring the same stuffs to the table tham this clown called Ely,you have to be kidding me boy.
Them Oberto can go back to Europe if he wants to,Everybody knows in Arg.that Scola is much better ,and more skilled and physical tham Fabricio.
Now in my book Ruben Volskowinsky is more physical and skilled Center tham fabbs,too bad he isnīt young anymore

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Man....Argentinians :rolleyes

:lol

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM

I would like you to get a little nasty with me boy.I just hope you donīt regret it that much,boy.

yavozerb
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I would like you to get a little nasty with me boy.I just hope you donīt regret it that much,boy.
:nope

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
:dramaquee

leemajors
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
is that an invitation to cyber?

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
is that an invitation to cyber?

cyber,real whatever.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow. Janet Jackson is a Scola fan.

Budkin
02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Get nasty with me? What the hell is going on here? :wtf

yavozerb
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Get nasty with me? What the hell is going on here? :wtf
Well, he said that she said that he said, never mind....

phxspurfan
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Jaren Jackson has scoliosis?

exstatic
02-14-2007, 07:59 PM
$4.2M EWill
$3.3M Ely

That will save SA ~$900K, doubled when you factor in the luxury tax. They paid a pro-rated portion of the salary difference to Charlotte, probably ~$500K, so $1.8M -$0.5M = $1.4M reasons.

ShoogarBear
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
We are part of a rhythm nation . . .

exstatic
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
We are part of a rhythm nation . . .
:lmao

timvp
02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Ely is a rental.

Dan Fegan could make that a reality. With Fegan, it doesn't even matter if you outbid other teams. Like with SJax, the Spurs were offering double what any other team offered and it didn't matter.

I think Fegan knows the Spurs don't overpay players as much as other teams do. So if the Spurs don't give Ely a decent contract after this season, Fegan will steer him to a team with a dumber front office and more playing time for a bigman.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, Fegan did let the trade go through. Who knows.

Ninja-Defense
02-14-2007, 11:08 PM
If Ely is a rental, then we can't trade Butler can we?? Everyone wants to trade Oberto (and I mean EVERYONE) and Elson could be dangled, so that means Butler becomes less likely to traded if Ely is indeed a mid-season rental.

timvp
02-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, Fegan did let the trade go through. Who knows.
True. Maybe Ely is a player who will think for himself.

We'll see.

Ninja-Defense
02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
In other words, I'm thinking Ely may be more than just a rental this season...

ShoogarBear
02-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Ely is a rental.

They said it wouldn't last
We had to prove them wrong

timvp
02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Ely dealt, doesn't harbor any ill will
Bobcats get Eric Williams, pick, cash from Spurs
RICK BONNELL

Melvin Ely won't miss sitting. But he'll sure miss the place he called home the past 2 1/2 years.

"This year was kind of disappointing because I didn't get to show all the things I worked on," Ely told the Observer, after Tuesday's trade to the San Antonio Spurs. "But I still feel good about everyone in the (Bobcats) organization -- from the head coach to the janitor, I made a lot of friends here."

Ely went to the Spurs for a 2009 second-round pick, some cash and forward Eric Williams' expiring contract. He asked for a trade in mid-December, after it became clear he'd slipped out of the rotation.

Ely had a rare skill -- a variety of ways to score in the low post. But coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff often mentioned Ely's poor rebounding as a reason he slipped behind Emeka Okafor and Sean May at the power forward position.

Ely never griped about the demotion. Instead, he expressed a deep loyalty to Bickerstaff for rescuing him from the end of the bench with the Los Angeles Clippers. That kind nature was a factor in Bickerstaff searching for a trade that would give Ely a fresh start on a playoff team.

"That's why we went out of our way to find a deal; because of the quality of the human being," Bickerstaff said of Ely. "He's a terrific guy and a terrific teammate."

With Ely gone, the Bobcats are down to four of the original 15 players from November 2004 -- Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Primoz Brezec and Brevin Knight.

The 2009 second-round pick replaces the pick the team sent to the Clippers for Ely the summer before the Bobcats' first season. Bickerstaff said allowing Ely to become a free agent in July would have likely resulted in the Bobcats getting nothing for losing him.

Williams, 33, comes to the Bobcats primarily to balance the salaries. He makes $4.3 million this season, the last on his contract. Ely makes $3.3 million, and the Spurs will compensate the Bobcats for the difference, according to an informed source.

It's questionable how much Williams will play here. He's 6-foot-8 and can play some at small or power forward. In his prime, he was known as a superior defender with a decent outside shot. That was when he played for Boston and New Jersey, before being dealt to Toronto and San Antonio.

The trade makes sense if Bickerstaff was doing a favor for Ely. Otherwise, why do the trade if you are the Bobcats? You got nothing from the Spurs except a bad second round draft pick in 2009. Other teams, including the Bulls, Suns and Nets would have at least matched what the Spurs were offering.

The bad news for the Spurs is they get another poor rebounding bigman. But then again, Elson on his career is a bad rebounder ... and he got 18 boards tonight so maybe there is hope.

T Park
02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
The bad news for the Spurs is they get another poor rebounding bigman

Yeah but its not like, Elson per se, where hes 30, and can't develop.

He may be 28, but he can still be taught.

Rebounding can come with hustle.

If he plays the defense that hes supposedly good at, and blocks shots like he supposedly can, then rebounds will follow.

lefty
02-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Ely welcomed by his new teammates (I know I know, T-Mass is not playing anymore) :lol

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/show_503/0209BKN_spurs3_massenburg_ap.jpg

timvp
02-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Another good thing about Ely is he actually gets to the line. He gets the line more than Oberto, Elson and Horry combined.

Oberto gets to the line an amazingly small amount. He shoots only 1.6 free throws per 48 minutes.

But then again, that's twice as often as Rasho got to the line, so it's all relative :lol

milkyway21
02-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Ely of the tiger? Motivated Melvin can help S.A.
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9995033

San Antonio, it's time to meet your potential savior.

His name is Melvin Ely, and he toiled in relative obscurity with the Bobcats and Clippers, a former lottery pick heavy on potential and light on production.

This will be Melvin Ely's first opportunity to play for an NBA winner. (Getty Images)

A decade ago, Sports Illustrated called him the nation's most sought-after high school post player.
He was a terror at Fresno State, finishing as the school's all-time leading scorer and shot blocker.

For the Spurs, he's just what the doctor ordered. He has the talent to be a difference-maker at center, a position that has been a problem spot. He's a potential spark for a team that needs to regain its swagger.

Tim Duncan needs a tag-team partner. Ely just became the second most talented post player on the squad. Sounds like the perfect marriage, right?

Not so fast.

The Spurs acquired him Tuesday for Eric Williams and a second-round pick in 2009, taking a gamble that a winning, veteran-laden environment will make a difference in Ely's career, helping him reach the potential he obviously has.

He has been coveted before -- by championship contenders, at that. Phoenix was interested in adding him, a move that made a lot of sense given their need for athletic size and the uncertainty about Amare Stoudemire's knees at the start of the season. Other teams certainly took looks, sent scouts over to Charlotte and inquired, if only to make a more informed decision.

Ely issued a trade demand earlier in the season, when it was clear he wouldn't beat out Emeka Okafor and Sean May for playing time. Strangely, it was a very formal, yet friendly request, in which he promised he would handle the situation professionally no matter what transpired.

Now he has a solution, sprung from a losing situation where he wasn't playing to one where he can immediately be counted on to help.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has grown increasingly frustrated with what Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson have been able to provide. In three of their last four losses, the Spurs have been outrebounded by double digits. A 46-31 deficit on the boards in Sunday's loss to the Heat set Popovich off again.

"We're still not playing physical enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. We're just hoping and begging rather than playing our ass off. We were beaten to loose balls, second shots, hard drives, hard cuts. We're too soft."

So here comes Ely, who hasn't played more than 23 minutes a game all year, to provide a potential answer. Maybe his arrival will spark Elson and Oberto. Perhaps Ely's first gig with a consistent winner will light a fire under him.

No one said this was a gimme, but he is a potential savior, because San Antonio needs to shake things up. The Spurs are clearly missing something, but aren't interested in overhauling their roster. This is a tweak with a minimal risk and a potentially huge payoff.

Ultimately, it's up to Ely. Given that the NBA sewing circle has already posted a couple of strikes against him, it would be in his best interest to arrive ready to work.

Will Melvin Ely help the Spurs?
----------------------------------------------------

Ely's a good rebounder?

boutons_
02-15-2007, 04:37 AM
"Ely's a good rebounder?"

RB can be learned, if the desire is there. He apparently has the athleticism to be, at least, a significant hustle player, RB, BS, defense. It's up to him now, given another chance.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2007, 04:49 AM
"He's not in shape,... Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have."
+
Ely's $3.3 million contract

For that money I'd get skinny in a month and live on the gym :bike:

ShoogarBear
02-15-2007, 06:01 AM
"Ely's a good rebounder?"

RB can be learned, if the desire is there. He apparently has the athleticism to be, at least, a significant hustle player, RB, BS, defense. It's up to him now, given another chance.Name one player who "learned" to be a good rebounder in the NBA.