PDA

View Full Version : The future of the spurs

ginobili fan
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
How do you see the spurs in 2 years?
Do you think they still could be in the top frachises?

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I depends on THIS COMING offseason´s moves.period
Otherwise get ready to root for a bellow average to average team.
Hopefully the FO,will make the rights moves.And this is NOT a Scola´s thread,they can trade his rights or let him become a free agent if they want to,the kid will find an NBA team to succed,but They better do something about SF,buckup PF,and Cs spots

bdictjames
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
YES, we've got Duncan, Bowen, Elson, Horry, Vaughn, Finley, and Manu

All the young players that we need.

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
This summer is very important, but Plan 2008 is the wild card.

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
we be a major player in FA market if duncan takes a paycut when his expires...sign gino to vet :D

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Spurs in two years should have a Tony Parker entering his prime (which is scary because he already has two all-star nods) and a still productive Tim Duncan...he'll only be 32-33.

Sadly, I think the wear and tear on Ginobili will be tough to overcome and despite how much I love the guy, I think he's a player that will quickly decline after the next couple seasons.

I think the '07 draft, particularly the first round selection, the potential of Scola's arrival, and the development of current Spurs youth (James White and Jackie Butler) will be critical to the Spurs success.

About the 08 plan, alot of what happens with the issues mentioned above will impact the decisions made in summer 08...so let's crawl before we walk.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Spurs in two years should have a Tony Parker entering his prime (which is scary because he already has two all-star nods) and a still productive Tim Duncan...he'll only be 32-33.

Sadly, I think the wear and tear on Ginobili will be tough to overcome and despite how much I love the guy, I think he's a player that will quickly decline after the next couple seasons.

I think the '07 draft, particularly the first round selection, the potential of Scola's arrival, and the development of current Spurs youth (James White and Jackie Butler) will be critical to the Spurs success.

About the 08 plan, alot of what happens with the issues mentioned above will impact the decisions made in summer 08...so let's crawl before we walk.

I agree.
most important issues next year:decent Bukup PF,SF and C stops,and a Buckup PG wouldn´t hurt eather.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Most important issues:

Solid starting PF/C
Long 3/Small Ball 4
Backup PG

Also I think backup SG could be an issue. As previously stated, I think Manu has less time left at "elite" level than the other two (T&T) and Barry/Fin will be in the last year of their respective contracts...not to mention, older than dirt. I think if the Spurs had a shot to draft a guy like Rudy Fernandez it would be tough to pass up, despite their other more obvious needs.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
What I think the Spurs will look like in '07

PG: Parker, Atkins, Udrih (?)...maybe draft & stash Kalnietis
SG: Ginobili, Barry, Fernandez (maybe a draft & stash)
SF: Bowen, Finley, Outlaw/Barnes, White
PF: Scola, Bonner
C: Duncan, Elson, Butler, Oberto (?)

lebomb
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM

Duncan will not be playing center.

I see Elson, Oberto, Butler at Center and Duncan at PF.....basically the same lineup we have now......just with a different bench.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Duncan will not be playing center.

I see Elson, Oberto, Butler at Center and Duncan at PF.....basically the same lineup we have now......just with a different bench.

Fine, make Elson the starting Center and bring Scola off the bench. It's all semantics anyways...

The point is, Duncan will be out there starting with someone and there are more PF-types on this roster than there are C-types.

dbreiden83080
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Fine, make Elson the starting Center and bring Scola off the bench. It's all semantics anyways...

Yeah i do think the Spurs are going to have to man up pay the toll and take a chance that Scola can be a good NBA player for next year the way this year is going.

ALVAREZ6
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah i do think the Spurs are going to have to man up pay the toll and take a chance that Scola can be a good NBA player for next year the way this year is going.
They won't.

exstatic
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Nothing major this summer. Book it.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2007, 04:55 AM
IN two years we are gonna be an old team, older than now

mountainballer
02-15-2007, 05:22 AM

if Rudy falls into the Spurs hands, I will celebrate for the whole summer.
but he is playing so well this season, that I really can't see 25 other teams pass on him. but if we can get him, there is another problem with his contract, that goes till 2008. Draftexpress reports, that his buyout is 1.7 million $ (one of the reasons, why he is constantly ranked lower in the mock drafts) and considering, that if he is picked by the Spurs at the end of 1st round, he will start somewhere at 900K, that likely won't be enough to buy himself out. (even if Spurs pay the allowed 500K)

interesting, that you have Mantas Kalnietis on your list. I like him, he is a great prospect.
two things about him:
I don't think that he will declare for this years draft, he will likely be in the class of 2008
I can see the Spurs use one of the 2nd rounders on him, but then they won't bring him over till 2008 or 2009. he is just to raw this season.

I have another Zalgiris player on my list, who could come 2007 and is more NBA ready: Jonas Maciulis. he showed great improvement this year. and even if he is a bit undersized at 6-6 for a SF (even more, when considering that at times he plays like a PF), he is the second Nocioni. he is definitly worth a 2nd rounder, IMO also the high Bucks pick we get.

if the Spurs can't get Fernandez, they should pick Tucker if he is there. just because he is the most NBA ready player in this area of the draft and he looks like Spurs material. no star, but he seems to be the perfect role player and Spurs need that type right now to rejuvenate their bench, without waiting for 2 or 3 seasons, till a drafted player can contribute.

so it looks like this:

Parker/new player via trade or FA (Bell?, Blake?, Atkins?) (Beno is gone)
Manu/Tucker/White (Barry is traded)
Bowen/Finley/Barnes (agree- he should be signed)/Maciulis
Duncan/Scola/Bonner
new starter - via trade/Elson Oberto gone (trade or buyout) Butler is traded

we would still need this long SF/PF. Barnes comes close to this type, but at 6-7 he also is a bit undersized for this role. Singleton should be available.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 05:22 AM

That's one ugly-ass team, no offense. If we manage to draft-n-stash both of our decent draft picks this year, we're toast. We need at least one solid rotation guy out of this draft.

I don't know where you get Travis Outlaw from. (I'm hoping it's not Bo Outlaw.)

This is essentially the same team as this year with Scola. I'm not sure we make the playoffs with that team.

GrandeDavid
02-15-2007, 05:25 AM
The Spurs should contend with this core for at least a couple more years. Regarding Manu, he should be highly effective off the bench on a consistent basis. He's still a good shooter, crafty defender, etc. Duncan should be great still and Parker on top of his game. Hopefully the Spurs pick up some key free agents...maybe the Spurs will get lucky and find another gem or two overseas, but that is becoming tougher by the season since other team's are strongly scouting overseas.

mountainballer
02-15-2007, 09:39 AM
That's one ugly-ass team, no offense. If we manage to draft-n-stash both of our decent draft picks this year, we're toast. We need at least one solid rotation guy out of this draft.

sorry, but a Spurs team that adds Rudy Fernandez via draft IS NOT a ugly ass team.
Fernandez has written Manu; Manu, Manu all over him.
with the little difference, that Rudy looks even more expirienced than Manu did at 21. Rudy looks almost like the Bologna Manu did.
however. he would be at least this solid rotation guy for the next two seasons, till he takes the star role from Manu. (no, I'm not kidding. I do belive what I say)

well, considering the fact, that Fernandez likely wont slip into our hands, I go with Tucker, as mentioned.
he should be able to be a regular rotation player right away and would give the bench some athleticismn.
(he would take the spot of either Finley or Barry. don't see both back next season)

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM

I don't know where you get Travis Outlaw from. (I'm hoping it's not Bo Outlaw.)

This is essentially the same team as this year with Scola. I'm not sure we make the playoffs with that team.

If Fernandez is "stashed", I think it would only be for one year.

I didn't speculate on any further trades (no offense Mountainballer), and only had three assumptions:

1) Horry would retire or not be retained
2) Bonner would be retained
3) The Spurs would try to fill their three major holes via FA

So, yes it's a fairly ugly team...but it's within reason that those "modest" deals get done. I could, of course, speculate that the Spurs get Maggette before the trade deadline and that changes the equation....but again, I chose to take a conservative route.

Oh and there has been stated interest by Spurs FO in Travis Outlaw (mentioned in the rumors for Magliore), he is a restricted FA and it doesn't appear the Blazers have room for him in their rotation....especially not if Miles makes any kind of a comeback. If the Spurs signed him to a $2-3M/yr deal (similar to Jackie Butler), it might be tough for the Blazers to match with guys like Webster and Miles asserting themselves....it IS a possibility.

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 10:28 AM
if Rudy falls into the Spurs hands, I will celebrate for the whole summer.
but he is playing so well this season, that I really can't see 25 other teams pass on him. but if we can get him, there is another problem with his contract, that goes till 2008. Draftexpress reports, that his buyout is 1.7 million $ (one of the reasons, why he is constantly ranked lower in the mock drafts) and considering, that if he is picked by the Spurs at the end of 1st round, he will start somewhere at 900K, that likely won't be enough to buy himself out. (even if Spurs pay the allowed 500K)

if the Spurs can't get Fernandez, they should pick Tucker if he is there. just because he is the most NBA ready player in this area of the draft and he looks like Spurs material.

Rudy's buyout could be an issue, and his lack of strenth is certain to be an issue, listed at 175lb. I know his hot shooting raises his value, so I won't disagree that it might not happen, but it is possible.

About Alando Tucker. I'm just not sold...

He thrives in college, but I think he'd be overmatched (both offensively and defensively) in the pros, no matter how much experience he has. He is athletic, but will run guard/and be guarded by much taller and bigger players. I just don't see him as NBA-ready as you do....he'll need to gain 15-20 pounds and develop an outside shot in order to not be considered a fringe rotation guy.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Stashing Fernandez overseas makes the team ugly. We can't stash the two top picks this summer... and I don't think Kalneitis is worth the Milwaukee pick.

I think we're in big trouble if we have to get big minutes out of Barry + Finley next year. Maybe trouble if we have no real back-up for Bowen.

ginobili fan
02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
who is rudy fernandez????
please someone have a video of him?

ginobili fan
02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
ah ok...I saw him on youtube.
Waouh he's kind of gino+carter :greedy

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/rudy-fernandez-hd.jpg

Rudy Fernandez
Birthdate: 4/4/85
NBA Position: PG/SG
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 172
Int Team: Joventut Badalona
Hometown: Palma de Mallorca, Spain
ULEB Profile

lefty
02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
The coaching position is assured for more than 50 years

http://media.funlol.com/content/popovich-family.jpg

ginobili fan
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
:lmao

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
ah ok...I saw him on youtube.
Waouh he's kind of gino+carter :greedy

Ginobili is probably the best comparison, though he's a more "fluid" athlete. Again, he's going to have to put on some weight to deal with the physicality of the NBA or he'll end up very injury prone (a la Ginobili) or settle for too many jumpshots. He has the skill to be a good/great all-around player, but he isn't without flaws.

Negatives on him are his lack of size/strength and that he falls in love with his jumpshot too much. But don't get me wrong....I'd be psyched if the Spurs were able to land him.

VaSpursFan
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
The coaching position is assured for more than 50 years

http://media.funlol.com/content/popovich-family.jpg

:rollin :rollin :rollin

mountainballer
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Rudy's buyout could be an issue, and his lack of strenth is certain to be an issue, listed at 175lb. I know his hot shooting raises his value, so I won't disagree that it might not happen, but it is possible.

that is not right. some draft boards use numbers that are two year old, because they don't update the profile every year.
his clubs listed him this year at 84 kg, (which is 187 lbs) and from what I have seen this should be accurate.
yes, that is still quite thin, but he is said to work hard as any player, also in the weight room, so he should be able to add another 10 lbs. if he is close to 200 lbs, he should be able to compete at NBA level.

(http://www.acb.com/jugador.php?id=B0X)

About Alando Tucker. I'm just not sold...

He thrives in college, but I think he'd be overmatched (both offensively and defensively) in the pros, no matter how much experience he has. He is athletic, but will run guard/and be guarded by much taller and bigger players. I just don't see him as NBA-ready as you do....he'll need to gain 15-20 pounds and develop an outside shot in order to not be considered a fringe rotation guy.

it was just an answer, who is in the draft who could help immediatly and might be still on the board when Spurs pick.
Tucker seems to be a great young man, very mature, who will do whatever he is asked. he is the leader of the currently best college team and even if he isn't the most outstanding talent, he has improved from year to year (thanks to very hard work, like his coach underlines) and he is playing very constantly. (27 games in a row scoring double digits)
again. when thinking of a player, who can provide help immediatly, I can't think of many others, who could do like Tucker. (AND will be available when the Spurs pick)