PDA

View Full Version : Big men: Who should go or stay?

yavozerb
02-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Duncan, Oberto, Elson,Horry, Bonner, Ely, Butler

With now 7 guys over 6'9 who either play the 4 or 5 who do yall think should make the everyday roster, who will be on reserves, or who could possibly be moved?

bdictjames
02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Out of that list, Butler and Oberto need to go

JPB
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Beno ! (let's pretend he's a big)

cos dude really needs to go.

VaSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Oberto goes now, horry retires at the end of the season.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Oberto is the only one.

Other than that, keep the rest around.

td4mvp21
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Oberto, if Butler is necessary to complete something, him too.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Active roster : Duncan/Bonner/Horry/Elson/Ely
IL : Butler
Traded : Oberto

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
trade oberto+beno+butler to hawks for childress+filler

yavozerb
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't make since for the hawks to do this deal..

Supergirl
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Duncan - no brainer
Of the others:
Horry - stays for one more playoff run, but having so many other options keeps him fresh
Elson - stays because he's shown himself to be most athletic and most reliable on offense.
Ely - expect him to be a better shotblocker and rebounder than Elson and Oberto, because he's never played with a dominant post player like TD and he's got more potential than either of them
Butler - stays but he's IR till at least next year
That leaves Bonner and Oberto. I think Oberto, as much as I love the guy, is our odd man out. Bonner will get Horry's minutes until playoff time, then we'll see. He has shown that he can do what we brought him in to do - stretch the D when we go "small" and keep us from going too small when we play teams like Dallas.

6 guys who can play 4 or 5 is not a bad thing, esp when you consider one shouldn't play till the playoffs (Horry) and one won't play this season (Butler). That leaves us with a solid rotation of Duncan, Ely, Elson, and Bonner for the rest of the season.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't make since for the hawks to do this deal..

Hawks won't do this deal or any deal for that matter...they're in an ownership dispute. If the dispute gets resolved they could be major players, but it's not getting resolved before the trade deadline.

Honestly, I think Butler and Beno would be appealing to them as they have too many wings and not enough PGs & Cs....but again, it ain't happening.

ambchang
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
I believe I am the only one who likes Oberto's game. He is not atheletic at all, but he is smart, and a lineup with the Big Three, Barry and Oberto in is awesome on offense (imagine the passing with TP and Manu cutting). He is a good defender of big guys (Shaq types), set great screens, and hustle on plays.
I see him as a perfect role player, but then again, I thought Eric Williams is the perfect Dirk defender.

AFBlue
02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I believe I am the only one who likes Oberto's game. He is not atheletic at all, but he is smart, and a lineup with the Big Three, Barry and Oberto in is awesome on offense (imagine the passing with TP and Manu cutting). He is a good defender of big guys (Shaq types), set great screens, and hustle on plays.
I see him as a perfect role player, but then again, I thought Eric Williams is the perfect Dirk defender.

I agree that Oberto is the consummate role player. He struggles mightily when Duncan isn't on the floor, and I've seen him force a few baseline jumpers that he shouldn't, but he's a smart player and gets others involved in the O.

I think the shot-blocking and athleticism gained in Ely makes Elson easier to let go....but I'm sure Oberto is more likely.

Supergirl
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM

I like him a lot, actually. He just doesn't seem to be able to provide what the Spurs need. I also like Rasho a lot, but the same was true for him, for different reasons.

We need a big man who can play defense AND provide consistent offense AND run the floor with faster players from the opposing teams. Right now, Elson does that better than Oberto, and I think Ely will do that better than Oberto as well. Horry does it better than all of them, but can't do it too much or he'll have no legs left in no time.

nkdlunch
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Butler is a lazy fat fuck and Oberto is miserable player. They both need to be shipped out. Beno needs to be included in that.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't mind if they move any of them (except Duncan) in the right deal. None of them are great.

sa_butta
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I think Oberto should be the next to go, he is just too lost on D. About the only thing he does remotely decent is pass and even that is not consistant. Butler is still too young and raw to move out, I think he could still be good for this team in the future. I definitely do not want to move Duncan anywhere. Maybe Oberto and Elson could be packaged for someone decent. We just need someone who can rebound the ball and at least alter some shots on D.

RC's Boss
02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Oberto. Butler only if necessary. I'm "hoping" by trng camp he gets it together (Butler). If not, move his ass next year!

The Truth #6
02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Oberto - gone.
Horry - gone.
Bonner - stay. At least he gives a shit and can do something well.
Elson - I could go either way, closer to gone.
Ely - stay until the season is over, and then we'll know. (I laugh when people think his rebounding is going to improve by playing next to an excellent rebounder.)
Duncan - stay.
Butler - stay until he proves what he can or can't do in serious minutes.

mardigan
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Duncan , Bonner and Ely stay, the rest of em should be shipped with Beno and Finley

yavozerb
02-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Duncan, bonner, elson, and possibly ely stays..Horry for 1 more year isn't bad (please retire after this year), Butler on IR seems to be where he needs to be (after watching him play),Oberto needs to go. Remember what pop and rc keep saying that the primary 7-8 guys in the rotation are not going anywhere!!Beno and oberto I think could possibly be your fall guys for one more trade.

Spurs Brazil
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind if they move any of them (except Duncan) in the right deal. None of them are great.

Agree

Ocotillo
02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
LMAO!!

Now Spurstalk.com posters are saying "Oberto is a scrub, he has to go."

I don't disagree in that I would like to ship him off but don't you think the rest of the league is on to Oberto's limitations? He won't be that easy to ship off unless someone needs our help in a multi-team deal.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
LMAO!!

Now Spurstalk.com posters are saying "Oberto is a scrub, he has to go."

I don't disagree in that I would like to ship him off but don't you think the rest of the league is on to Oberto's limitations? He won't be that easy to ship off unless someone needs our help in a multi-team deal.

:rolleyes

Nobody has said : trade him for Lebron.
Oberto contract isn't bad and I can see a team taking him as 4th or 5th bigmen.

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Oberto at one point was playing really good basketball for a stretch. My problem with him is he doesn't bring effort every night. And unless he starts to do that, he's going to be on the outside looking in.

Not playing in the first half last night for this first time this season on the same day the Spurs trade for another big is an ominous sign for Oberto. Oberto's lack of shotblocking is probably the main reason why opponents shoot a higher percentage with him on the floor compared to Elson, Horry and Bonner.

The scary thing that the Spurs best rebounding lineups all have Oberto on the court. So if they take him out of the rotation, the Spurs will most likely become an even worse rebounding team.

MoSpur
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Any of them can go except for Duncan. None of them are consistent. Orberto has had last season and this season to pick things up, but he hasn't really shown that much improvement. Elson is trying to learn and his athletic ability is good. Butler, hasn't shown anything because he hasn't played. I like that Bonner can hit the three. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Oberto. He is smart and passes good, however, his lack of defense is pathetic.

Texas_Ranger
02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Definitely Oberto. There is hope for Butler, but not for Oberto. The guy can't do anything. He just waits fore some good pass and then he makes a layup. He's old, he can't jump, rebound, make a block, dunk... He sucks.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I would send out any of the non-Duncan big men in the right deal. I would like to keep Bonner around because he's got the range and will probaby be pretty cheap to keep around for a few years. Butler needs another year to show something. Otherwise, let's make a deal.

Gros Membres!
02-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Oberto. Pathetic.

v2freak
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
If the team is looking to get athletic, it would make sense to ship out Oberto; Elson and Ely are pretty athletic.

Horry should stick around for 1 more year and retire a Spur. I don't think the Spurs should or will trade him.

Bonner is pretty good for small ball.

Butler doesn't look like he'll be playing much this year, and if we need help now, it'd make sense to trade him as well.

SenorSpur
02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Definitely Oberto. There is hope for Butler, but not for Oberto. The guy can't do anything. He just waits fore some good pass and then he makes a layup. He's old, he can't jump, rebound, make a block, dunk... He sucks.

It really makes one wonder why the Spurs and many on this board acted as though they had just signed "the taller version of Manu" when they signed Oberto two years ago. Smart player, hustles a lot, but I just don't see the value in him holding down a roster spot on this team.

I wouldn't imagine there are many teams hot to trade for him.

Cherry
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53387&highlight=church

:smokin

pad300
02-14-2007, 07:21 PM
7 Bigs is indeed to many (6 is about right if one's a prospect); Who do we get rid of? Evaluate them individually, in terms of this season's possibilities, and future benefits

Duncan - A complete waste of space, should be dumped ASAP - NOT!

Elson - Will be kept unless we get a similarly athletic big back. He's been quite good some games. He's also the only insurance against Pop saying we can only support one slow big (Duncan) against the Mavs/Suns and therefore we are playing small ball.

Oberto - Ely should be able to take his minutes. However, his (and Elsons) rebounding is one of the usung stories of this season. Rebounding Rate 15.8 (Elson 16.1), when last year it was 14.8 (elson 12.5!). As Spurs fans, we should pray that we see similar improvement for Ely (reb-r 11.9 last year, 9.3 in a very small sample size this year). He's been poor lately, but he had some awesome games at the start of the season. He needs to get that form back...

Bonner - Was playing well before the injury. Needs to pick up his rebounding. Might be trade bait as an expiring contract.

Horry - I'd trade him east or too a non-top 6 west team. He's just got too old. Pop, on the other hand, wouldn't. Assuming he stays, if he hooks up the juvenation machine for the playoffs, great. I think he retires this summer (hopefully with another ring).

Ely - He can score in the post, he's a bad rebounder, not a strong shot blocker. Really he's a bust who's being offered the opportunity to re-invent himself in a contract year. At the very least should be play hard and be very energetic. With the limitations due to his having been traded already this year, he will likely stay. Unless he really works out/fits the team ( and manages not to price himself out of the market in the process) he will be gone next year.

Butler - Prospect big. Only trade him to make a deal you think really improves your team.

In conclusion my preference for trades would be 1st Horry, then Oberto. Trading Oberto might be a bad move, unless Ely really picks it up on the rebounding front. He's our 3ed best rebounder (on a per possession basis, not just raw numbers), and I'm suspicious of Elson (our 2nd best rebounder), given that he does very well against non-banging guys, but doesn't seem to show up as well if someone puts a body on him...

Russ
02-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Oberto sucks but he serves a purpose. Like the 5th starter on a baseball team, he soaks up minutes (innings) so that your key players don't get used up during the regular season. Then during the playoffs, like a 5th starter, Oberto disappears.

In this case, Elson is fragile and Horry is old. Playing Oberto keeps them both ready for the playoffs (and thrills the women in the road games).

Rasho played a similar role the last couple of years (except for the women part).

Manudona
02-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Oberto at one point was playing really good basketball for a stretch.

Well, at least there is one who's memory can stretch for a little more than a week

milkyway21
02-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Hear ye, hear ye people:

After the Spurs acquired Melvin Ely on Tuesday, coach Gregg Popovich was asked if the team might make another trade before next Thursday's deadline.

"No," Popovich said. "We're a veritable juggernaut now. Why would I want to change that?"

hmmn, after Pops "no trade" comments on Malik and E. Williams, who would still believe Pops? :lol

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Hear ye, hear ye people:

After the Spurs acquired Melvin Ely on Tuesday, coach Gregg Popovich was asked if the team might make another trade before next Thursday's deadline.

"No," Popovich said. "We're a veritable juggernaut now. Why would I want to change that?"

hmmn, after Pops "no trade" comments on Malik and E. Williams, who would still believe Pops? :lol

That's the thing though...Pop didn't lie to anyone or try to throw people off. He never discounted the fact that the Spurs might trade one of their "peripheral" players. Yes, another deal might get done, but don't expect any blockbusters, unless the Spurs are hit with a deal they can't pass up.

diego
02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
oberto's defense isnt the problem- its his lack of consistency and athleticism that hurts him (both of which will likely be worse with another season on his legs). I hope ely can replace him but there isnt much more than hope at this point.

the spurs have to be sure they get a good replacement because ely's contract is over at the start of the season and if they arent careful they could start the season with duncan/elson/bonner/butler/random scrub if horry retires, ely doesnt resign, and oberto is traded for a small or simply let go.