PDA

View Full Version : hey mavfans is Jose Barea any good?

nkdlunch
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
would you trade him for Beno? :D

just saw segment on him, they sent him to Dleague and he immediately scored consecutive 40pt games and got caleld back to mavs

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd be pissed if they traded him for Beno...he's a fan favorite when he gets into the games...

and he did tear it up in D-league recently... :fro

anon101
02-14-2007, 02:26 PM

No.

just saw segment on him, they sent him to Dleague and he immediately scored consecutive 40pt games and got caleld back to mavs

We only have D-league and garbage time to go by, but Barrea certainly appears to have skills--he can shoot, he can pass, he can push the ball. The biggest knock on him is his size, he's small even for a point guard. But as a back-up, I think (and apparently the Mavs coaches think), he can be a decent NBA contributor.

mabber
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM

He looks like he's got game from the few times I've seen him play in preseason and a couple of times during the regular season but who really knows.

timvp
02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Don't remind me. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44852)

:depressed

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Crazy as it sounds Beno Udrih is better than any NBDL point guard prospect.

RonMexico
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM

I disagree - I'm not going to provide examples, but I disagree

SScarrJ
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
I would trade beno for a 3$ coupon to taco bell

Solid D
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I've seen him play a few times. The kid can score. He's not a great defender and his size can be a limitation. He's also not as polished at passing out of doubles in screen-roll situations as Beno is. JJ is much quicker and more aggressive though.

Also, if JJ didn't have a dad, timvp would want to adopt him. :smokin

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I disagree - I'm not going to provide examples, but I disagree

Well, you're not right. Beno would torch the NBDL. He'd run it silly. You have to get over it. That's the vast gap between that league and this one.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure that he is nba material because of his size. His D-league stats are quite meaningless : talented undersized players often have a lot of success in minor leagues and struggle in nba.

I don't know him enough to judge him but I won't be surprised to see failing in nba but being a great player in europe.

mabber
02-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure that he is nba material because of his size. His D-league stats are quite meaningless : talented undersized players often have a lot of success in minor leagues and struggle in nba.

I don't know him enough to judge him but I won't be surprised to see failing in nba but being a great player in europe.

The Mavs are, obviously, extremely high on him for what it's worth.

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Problem is Beno is a shooting guard. There are reasons why he plays shooting guard on the Slovenian NT, and last night game was just more evidence. Put him off the ball and he's a pretty good player.

But make him be a point guard and he just can't do it. He doesn't have ballhandling skills, the footspeed on defense or the mentality to be a point guard.

Sooner the Spurs figure this out, the better.

nkdlunch
02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Well, you're not right. Beno would torch the NBDL. He'd run it silly. You have to get over it. That's the vast gap between that league and this one.

I say Spurs send his ass there just to prove you wrong.

Even if you're right(which you're not), that doesn't mean shit. Beno proved he sucks in NBA. Jose has not proven that yet. and yes, Avery Johnson loves this guy.

TimVP you are a genius.

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
There's a reason Will Conroy only got 10 days in the NBA and didn't do a thing. Udrih is an NBA player. He's not playing well, but he has the size and the talent to stick there if he wants. Barea is not an NBA talent. He may become one, but he's undersized and has a lot of work to do.

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
There's a reason Will Conroy only got 10 days in the NBA and didn't do a thing. Udrih is an NBA player. He's not playing well, but he has the size and the talent to stick there if he wants. Barea is not an NBA talent. He may become one, but he's undersized and has a lot of work to do.

We'll bump this thread in a couple years when Beno is playing in Europe and Barea and Conroy are both backup point guards in the league.

Do you really think that if Beno was on a 10-day contract that the Spurs would sign him for the rest of the season?

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
If Beno were available for a 10-day contract, someone would sign him. I think he's ruined with the Spurs.

Barea could be another Earl Boykins in this league. Stick an NBA point guard on him and he might score 8-10 pts in a good game. Same, ironically, as Beno Udrih.

gregpschneid
02-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Barea sucks! You guys are crazy. Has 0 athleticism. A lot of teams would love to have Beno, although you guys think he would get torn up at the local Y.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
There's a reason Will Conroy only got 10 days in the NBA and didn't do a thing.Yeah, they found out Harrington was availbale again.
If Beno were available for a 10-day contract, someone would sign him. I think he's ruined with the Spurs.Which is exaclty why we should be looking at other players.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Barea sucks! You guys are crazy. Has 0 athleticism. A lot of teams would love to have Beno, although you guys think he would get torn up at the local Y.

The Spurs have offered him to a lot of teams in the last two years for pretty much nothing.

But I agree that Beno wouldn't get killed in DLeague or at the Y (well, unless they pressed).

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
He did get owned by a D-League call up power forward last season, so it depends.

sabar
02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
There's a reason the guy went undrafted.
He's shot ~33% at the NBA level.

I think I would keep Beno over him.
If Beno would stop choking the whole game the second he missed a shot he'd be so good.

CubanMustGo
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
But I agree that Beno wouldn't get killed in DLeague or at the Y (well, unless they pressed).

:lmao

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM
The only reason I've brought up Conroy is that Beno is obviously finished here and Will is the only D-League point guard who looks anywhere close to being able to play well in the NBA now. There aren't too many swingmen with alot more potential than James White right now, so I'm content with keeping him. As far as big men go, the best prospects have already been picked up -- if you squint enough, you can try to pick out some Charles Hayes type PFs, but they are probably a year away from his level last season. Loren Woods is a good rebounder and ok shotblocker, but wouldn't help an NBA team in most other respects -- it might be enough for him to be called up again though.

dg7md
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't want to trade Beno, I just want him to not suck.

PLAY LIKE YOU DID YOUR ROOKIE YEAR, BENO!

texas84
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Barea has looked pretty good when he gets minutes. If he can become an Earl Boykins type backup guard, I would be very happy. Has great speed.

We'll go ahead and keep him and let yall keep Udrih. Deal??

dallaskd
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Wait a minute. This deal would only help San Antonio. In his first 3 games in the D-League. Stats:

27.6 PPG

7.7 APG

5.3 RPG

dallaskd
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
one of the biggest prospects out there.

mFFL03
04-19-2009, 09:42 AM
bump

41times
04-19-2009, 09:49 AM
JJ is a steve nash starter kit. he is the only guy quick enough to stay with parker.