PDA

View Full Version : Maccabi vs Tau Tomorrow

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Another chapter in a budding rivalry will be written on Thursday when Maccabi Elite hosts Tau Ceramica in a Top 16 Group D showdown at Nokia Arena in Tel Aviv, Israel. Not only have these teams both reached the past two Final Fours, but they've met there each time, as well. Maccabi topped Tau 85-70 in last season's semifinals in Prague and 90-78 in the 2005 title game in Moscow. In fact, Maccabi has won the last four meetings between these teams. However, this time Tau arrives with the upper hand after finishing the regular season in first place in Group A with a 12-2 record, compared to Maccabi's 8-6 mark in Group B.

Tau will be without head coach Velimir Perasovic, who was hospitalized Monday with chest pains and did not travel to Israel. Assistant coach Nacho Lezcano will take his place on the sidelines and the players will surely be out to win one for their ailing coach. Tau's injured guard Zoran Planinic will also miss the game. Winning in Tel Aviv won't be easy for Tau, since no team has beaten Maccabi at its home in over a year. The game features a clash of two of the top big men in the basketball world, All-Euroleague center Nikola Vujcic, who is the focus of the Maccabi attack, and All-Euroleague power forward Luis Scola, Tau's unstoppable force in the paint. The keys to the game could be inside. Maccabi reserve Noel Felix may see extra minutes in place of rookie Lior Eliyahu and Jamie Arnold in the effort to stop Scola. One tool Maccabi may try is spreading around the fouls, as Tau ranked last in the Euroleague regular season in free-throw shooting with a paltry 65.9%, with Kaya Peker (38.9% FT) and Tiago Splitter (41.0% FT) prime targets.

Even without Planinic, Tau boasts a deep and experienced backcourt, led by Pablo Prigioni, Igor Rakocevic, Serkan Erdogan and newcomer Ender Arslan. They will challenge Maccabi's guard rotation of Tal Burstein, Yotam Halperin, Derrick Sharp, Will Bynum and newcomer Goran Jeretin. Maccabi coach Neven Spahija will hope to have an answer for Rakocevic and his 16.4 points per game in Jeretin, as the two were backcourt mates at Crvena Zvezda in 2003-04. Ultimately, the sellout crowd can expect a top-level clash between the two highest-scoring teams of the regular season. Like so many games in the past, this one could be decided by a heroic showing by any of the stars on display.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/preview?gamecode=170

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Maccabi reserve Noel Felix may see extra minutes in place of rookie Lior Eliyahu and Jamie Arnold in the effort to stop Scola.

:lol They haven't used Noel all year and now they want him to stop Scola

Anyway, does anyone know if you can watch these games online?

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:35 PM
By the way Pau-Orthez is losing to Lottomatica Roma by 9 in the 4th quarter. Mahinmi has two points and two boards in 10 minutes so far.

You can get the running boxscores on http://Euroleague.net.

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't know. Sorry. But I don't think so. Maybe if you have the cable with foreign channels...

I'm partially watching PAU-Horthez vs Roma right now. Damn, that's not pretty. Pau is playing very poor BB against a team who plays without their star Bodiroga.

Mahinmi hasn't play much.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Iīm not sure if they do a play by play kind of thing,but this is the Tauīs website
www.baskonia.com
I spect Scola to have a good game

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Pau is playing Tau :) next week.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Iīm not sure if they do a play by play kind of thing,but this is the Tauīs website
www.baskonia.com
I spect Scola to have a good game

They have the play-by-play for all the games on the Euroleague site. I just remembered last year you can actually watch some of the games on the internet. And I was wondering if that was available.

Bruno
02-14-2007, 04:39 PM
The game should be on nbatv (delayed).

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:42 PM
They have the play-by-play for all the games on the Euroleague site. I just remembered last year you can actually watch some of the games on the internet. And I was wondering if that was available.

Was it on legal sites ?

Cos I think you can catch them on some not so legal sites that disappear when too much people log on them. I know you can catch NBA games that are initially broadcasted on paying channels.

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
40 s. to play Pau down by 6

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Was it on legal sites ?

Cos I think you can catch them on some not so legal sites that disappear when too much people log on them. I know you can catch NBA games that are initially broadcasted on paying channels.

On legal and some not-so legal.

But Bruno is right I see on the TV schedule, it's going to be on NBATV (delayed).

http://www.euroleague.net/main/tv/by-date

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
game over, Pau lost by 10. Mahinmi was little used.

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:50 PM
On legal and some not-so legal.

But Bruno is right I see on the TV schedule, it's going to be on NBATV (delayed). :downspin:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/tv/by-date

So you'll give us your appreciation on "much talked about" Luis Scola. :)

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
So you'll give us your appreciation on "much talked about" Luis Scola. :)

:) I've seen him playing quite a bit before. I see why he's much talked about, but I still don't know if he will be good on the Spurs.

But tomorrow, I will not root for him. He's playing against one of my best friends.

JPB
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
:) I've seen him playing quite a bit before. I see why he's much talked about, but I still don't know if he will be good on the Spurs.

But tomorrow, I will not root for him. He's playing against one of my best friends.

:wow

you have to tell us more about that. Who's this ? :)

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
:wow

you have to tell us more about that. Who's this ? :)

Noel Felix - he (rarely) plays on Maccabi.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I understand why you wanted to see the game.

Maccabi reserve Noel Felix may see extra minutes in place of rookie Lior Eliyahu and Jamie Arnold in the effort to stop Scola.

:clap

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
He has barely played in Euroleague all year and now they want him to defend Scola. :lol Maccabi is not very good this season but hopefully it will be a good game anyway.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/noel_felix.jpg

C'mon Noel, make your friend proud. :)

T Park
02-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Eliyahu.

The long wanted small forward... :depressed

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Noel Felix - he (rarely) plays on Maccabi.

Poor Noel,he is getting owned tonite on the paint. :lol
just kiddin Kori. :smokin

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Will he get nasty with him?

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Eliyahu.

The long wanted small forward... :depressed

He plays power forward there. They don't think he has the skills to play small forward. And they don't think he has the defense to play power forward in the NBA.

He's super soft.

Borosai
02-14-2007, 05:12 PM
A little off topic, but what is the common language, if any, for teams in Europe (including soccer). Since each team has players from all over, do the players learn a new language each time they move to another team, or do they use translators, or does someone else on the team help them out? Sign language?

T Park
Shame. Hes got the build for the long 3.

Kori Ellis
The player on Maccabi that's actually a small forward and will be good in the NBA is Simas Jasaitis. (He's not THAT long though.)

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Shame. Hes got the build for the long 3.

Yeah I wonder if the Rockets are bringing him over next year.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:16 PM
A little off topic, but what is the common language, if any, for teams in Europe (including soccer). Since each team has players from all over, do the players learn a new language each time they move to another team, or do they use translators, or does someone else on the team help them out? Sign language?

coach speak local language + english if there are some US players. It's a mix.

Anyhow, foreign players quickly catch the usual expressions. BB language is universal.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 05:17 PM

everybody in the whole world usually learns another lenguage besides there natural lenguage in school,some even learn more tham one other lenguage.it just donīt happen that much in the US.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey Kori, you'd make a great "euro" scout. :) Maybe you already are.

Have you ever seen french kid Nicolas Batum play ?

I know, I know no more euro prospects for the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Kori, you'd make a great "euro" scout. :) Maybe you already are.

Have you ever seen french kid Nicolas Batum play ?

I know, I know no more euro prospects for the Spurs.

He's that one who is 17 or 18 years old?

I saw a video clip of him on interbasket.net a while back but I have never see him play a whole game.

Is he good?

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
That's him. 18 years old. Overclassed all the young categories he played in.

Don't tell him he's the next Boris diaw cos he doesn't like it but the comparison is quite good: BBIQ, ball-handling, court vision He's even more athletic and aggressive than Boris.

He's really the next big thing in France. At 18, he was already playing significant minutes in euroleague with Le Mans (eliminated in the first phase).

Expect him to be a top 10 pick, maybe better than that, when he decides to come to the NBA.

Ariel
02-14-2007, 05:41 PM

I wish your friend all the best... but from Friday on. ;)

On a more serious note, it'd be super cool if you could get an honest opinion on Scola's game from your friend, who has played at a highly competitive level in the states and is set to play him. An inside perspective might add something interesting to that we only see from a distance.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
That's him. 18 years old. Overclassed all the young categories he played in.

Don't tell him he's the next Boris diaw cos he doesn't like it but the comparison is quite good: BBIQ, ball-handling, court vision He's even more athletic and aggressive than Boris.

He's really the next big thing in France. At 18, he was already playing significant minutes in euroleague with Le Mans (eliminated in the first phase).

Expect him to be a top 10 pick, maybe better than that, when he decides to come to the NBA.

Boris was very passive before - maybe that's why he hates the comparison. When does he turn 19? Will he be in the draft in 2008?

I honestly don't know an incredible amount about European basketball. My friend played in the CBA the last couple years (and in Italy a little), so I watch CBA games a lot prior to this season.

But since he left Seattle Sonics training camp and went to Israel, I have been paying more attention to basketball overseas. And I read a lot of the European basketball forums.

Mr. Body
02-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I think Batum can declare this year if he wants. Most sites have him in the 2008 draft.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I wish your friend all the best... but from Friday on. ;)

On a more serious note, it'd be super cool if you could get an honest opinion on Scola's game from your friend, who has played at a highly competitive level in the states and is set to play him. An inside perspective might add something interesting to that we only see from a distance.

I talked to him a little about Scola earlier this week - he thinks he's great.

But I will be interested to hear in detail what he thinks about him after tomorrow. I talk to him on the phone about five days a week, so I will let you know what he says.

Nikos
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
And I read a lot of the European basketball forums.

Can you give me some links to these forums? I have been trying to find some good European Basketball Forums, and aside from BB.net and InterBasket, can't really find any.......

Any help on this would be great and much appreciated.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Batum DOB : 12/14/88

he'll probably declare next year, maybe in 2 years.

Boris was passive and reluctant to score. Nicolas is a bit shy too but since he's playing in a young team, (he also plays with Alain Koffi who worked out for the Spurs, the last offseason and Yannick Bokolo), he has responsabilities and seems to accept them.

Texas_Ranger
02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
If Union Olimpija could win Maccabi, the Tau Ceramica should to.

JPB
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I talked to him a little about Scola earlier this week - he thinks he's great.

But I will be interested to hear in detail what he thinks about him after tomorrow. I talk to him on the phone about five days a week, so I will let you know what he says.

Ask him if he's dirty. :)

I think he could tell you that Luis is not forcing things.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you give me some links to these forums? I have been trying to find some good European Basketball Forums, and aside from BB.net and InterBasket, can't really find any.......

Any help on this would be great and much appreciated.

I read a lot of them that aren't even really that busy, but ..

http://interbasket.net
http://forum.24sec.net/
http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?showforum=50
http://www.talkbasket.com/forums/
http://www.draftexpress.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I also have posted on Maccabi's forum even though it's all in Hebrew :lol They answer me back in English at least if I have a question.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Tau wins by 11. My friend got two fouls in the first four minutes (one against Scola) and didn't play the rest of the way :(

Scola didn't play well today - 8 points and 5 rebounds, but he was in foul trouble and only played 21 minutes.

ArgSpursFan
02-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Tau won by 11 pts.Shity game by scola,Macavi played real good D on him ,at one point he even got triple teamed.
I liked I. Rakocevic ,interesting servian guard(2/3 2pts fg. and 5/6 3pts fg.)
Scola ended with 8 pts. 5 boards in 21 mins.
they showed it live on Espn latin America.

timvp
02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
So Igor Rakocevic, who was cut by the Spurs after two days of training camp because he was so horrible, was the hero?

Interesting.

ArgSpursFan
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
So Igor Rakocevic, who was cut by the Spurs after two days of training camp because he was so horrible, was the hero?

Interesting.

yeap,nice jump shot,and ball movement.
Didnīt know he got cuted off the spurs.
He was awsome last world championship in Japan,eventhough Servia played short handed.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2007, 10:59 PM
The player on Maccabi that's actually a small forward and will be good in the NBA is Simas Jasaitis. (He's not THAT long though.)

how long you want him to be? :D:D

velik_m
02-16-2007, 02:39 AM
On a side note: yesterday i got a first look at Javtokas this year, and he looks the same as last year, he just gets less playing time this year because of the depth of Panathinaikos.

JAVTOKAS, ROBERTAS 12:15 5pts 2/2fg 1/2tf 1off + 1def = 2reb 1 bl 4 fouls

He had 2 field goals: a putback and a nice hook shot, otherwise didn't get involved in the offense much. He should set better screens though.

Had a nice block on the defensive end, he also forced a lot of missed shots under the basket.

http://www.euroleague.net/

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Tau plays Pau on Thursday....will this be aired later on NBA TV? I would love to see Scola and Mahinmi (if he gets on the court) play eachother. Is there a listing of what games will be televised overall from the tourney?

redskinfan
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Mahinmi sucks what a wasted first rounder. Who's idea was it to draft this scrub anyways?

ChumpDumper
02-20-2007, 07:47 PM

Interesting.I thought he just got a good guaranteed deal from Red Star, but we sure could have used him that year.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Mahinmi sucks what a wasted first rounder. Who's idea was it to draft this scrub anyways?

Now director of player personnel...sam presti

Is that right?

GrandeDavid
02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
A business partner of mine from Tel Aviv is going to that game!! Word!