PDA

View Full Version : Trade News

Gino20
02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
So, Tuesday's Melvin Ely-Eric Williams trade didn't really get your blood boiling, eh?

You expect a little more action, a few bigger names to be changing addresses as we count down the days until the Feb. 22 NBA trade deadline, the day general managers finally get to set down their cell phones and take stock of the elbow tendinitis that comes from holding a receiver to one's ear for 12 hours a day.

Well, take heart, folks. Bigger and better deals are on the way, and Insider has been working the phones and aggravating the elbows, too, to get a handle on who's on the block, who isn't, and what might be in store for the week ahead.

We expect at least 10 players to be relocating by the time next weekend rolls around, but you can never really be sure whether it's going to be a busier-than-usual trade deadline day or a dud along the lines of the deadline day seven years ago when only one trade -- Anthony Johnson going from Orlando to Atlanta for a second-round pick -- was consummated.

With that warning safely dispensed, we present our Week Before The Deadline List of the 10 Players Most Likely to Be Traded.

1. James Posey, Heat
While he has been recovering from hip and knee replacement surgery, Pat Riley has been working the phones trying to find a point guard to relieve some of the burden from the banged-up Jason Williams and the washed-up Gary Payton.

Posey's $6.4 million contract expires after this season, making him the No. 1 chip Riley has at his disposal. Posey isn't enough to entice the 76ers to part with Andre Miller (even with a No. 1 draft pick thrown in), but he'll be enough to get some other team to part with a player who will keep Chris Quinn out of the Heat's starting five for the rest of the year.

2. Mike James, Timberwolves
In the category of "seemed like a good idea at the time" (see Harrington, Al, in Indiana), we point to Minnesota's signing of this free agent last summer as the next mistake the Wolves will try to rectify.

The Heat are very interested, but so too are the Pistons and Cavaliers. And since Detroit (able and willing to move Nazr Mohammed, Dale Davis and Flip Murray) can likely outbid Cleveland and Miami, the educated guess here is that James is back playing Deeee-troit bas-ket-ball by this time next week.

3. Juan Dixon, Trail Blazers
Yes, we know the most popular Portland trade chip to be run through the rumor mill this season has been Jamaal Magloire, but Insider is hearing that Portland is now "begging" teams to take the former All-Star off their hands. Magloire's $8.3 million contract expires at the end of this season, but big expiring contracts clearly aren't nearly the valuable commodities they were in recent years.

That's why we're listing Dixon as the likeliest member of the Blazers to be shipped out. Don't be surprised if he goes to Toronto for Fred Jones.

4. Dale Davis, Pistons
Not all expiring contracts are unmovable, just the bigger ones (Magloire, Grant Hill, etc.).

This graybeard center is pulling down $3.5 million from the Pistons, and Joe Dumars has vowed to break up his big man logjam. Most of the attention has been focused on the Pistons' trying to move Mohammed, but he has a five-year contract that's giving plenty of teams second thoughts.

Davis is a heck of a lot easier to move, and plenty of playoff-caliber teams are in need of an extra big body for the postseason.

5. Corey Maggette, Clippers
If it were up to Maggette or coach Mike Dunleavy, who get along like oil and water, Maggette would already be an ex-Clipper. The problem is that Clippers owner Donald Sterling has a particular fondness for Maggette, and the owner still thinks the two can coexist.

But the most recent tiff between coach and player might make Sterling reconsider, and the Jazz, Heat and Spurs are all still very much interested. The Clips turned down an offer of Morris Peterson earlier this season, and the Raptors are no longer looking to move Mo Pete.
6. P.J. Brown, Bulls
He is one of the main pieces of the package of players the Bulls are trying to send to Memphis for Pau Gasol. If that doesn't happen, he could still be a main piece of any backup deal the Bulls are working on to add a capable low-post scorer.

Brown's $8 million contract comes off the books after this season, but if Chicago can't find a match for him, another option is to trade Michael Sweetney's expiring $2.7 million deal and keep Brown in the Bulls' starting five, where he's been playing fairly well of late.

7. Pau Gasol, Grizzlies
The big fella from Spain doesn't make it any higher on this list because the Grizzlies continue to insist that they'll keep Gasol on the roster and further explore trade possibilities over the summer if they can't get a package of what they're looking for (two good young players and an expiring contract).

Chicago remains the front-runner, but we're hearing whispers that the Nets are seriously in the mix, too. The Knicks stated their interest, too, but Memphis wouldn't send him to New York even if Isiah Thomas was offering both Channing Frye and David Lee.

8. Mike Bibby, Kings
When agent David Falk came out last week and said Bibby would not opt out of his contract after this season, it forced Sacramento to weigh its options with Bibby as he slumps through his worst season in years.

Bibby makes $12.5 million, so there would have to be a lot of lumber, at least salarywise, coming back to the Kings in any deal.

The three teams most desperate for a new point guard (Miami, Cleveland, Lakers) are all interested, but the cost (at least $9.9 million in salary must go back, and Sacramento will want a No. 1 pick, too, which the Cavs don't have) may preclude a deal of this magnitude from going down.

9. Jason Kidd/Vince Carter, Nets
Here's the thing with J-Kidd. He's due to make $19.7 million next season and $21.4 million the year after, and the law of diminishing returns is coaxing Rod Thorn (and owner Bruce Ratner) to give serious consideration to the idea that it might be time to blow this team up.

Like Kidd, Carter has been shopped around the league. But with no one knowing for sure whether he plans to opt out of the final year of his contract this summer (the Nets wanted to give him an extension last summer, but Carter's impending divorce kept him from accepting), there's more risk in acquiring Carter than there is in getting Kidd.

10. Beno Udrih, Spurs
Wasn't it just a few days ago that Gregg Popovich said there would be no trades and no changes to the roster? Well, the Ely trade proved that Pop was merely disseminating some misinformation (he learned that from all his years spying on the Soviets).

Udrih has been in Pop's doghouse more than any player since Malik Rose was on the Spurs, and he's expendable now that Jacque Vaughn has taken over the backup point-guard duties. With so many teams seeking playmakers, Udrih may be the fallback guy for a team that can't land its No. 1 choice.
Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

phxspurfan
02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
udrih a playmaker? ugh i think i just threw up a little in my mouth

Gino20
02-14-2007, 07:02 PM

You and I both! But, shhh maybe no one else knows that he stinks... :elephant

SKINNYPIMP210
02-14-2007, 07:06 PM

LMAO!

Extra Stout
02-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Shhh... other teams' GM's could be reading here, you never know.

I really, really hope the Spurs don't trade Beno Udrih. He is such a great young prospect. I think he could be a better pure point guard than Tony Parker and would be a valuable addition to any team. I don't think they could possibly get equal value for him, unless they received in return a good-rebounding center and a long 3.

texbumTHElife
02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
All ball-handling and getting the ball past mid court aside, Udrih could be an explosive offensive player in many offenses in the L.

ALVAREZ6
02-14-2007, 07:37 PM
WTF let's just fucking take MAggette before it's too late.

sghspurs
02-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Beno is a playmaker for whoever we're playing against.

rayray2k8
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I laughed so hard when I read that. :lol

exstatic
02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Ben...AARF!!
http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/films/dodgeball/microsite/cast2.jpg

WalterBenitez
02-15-2007, 05:45 AM
10. Beno Udrih, Spurs
Wasn't it just a few days ago that Gregg Popovich said there would be no trades and no changes to the roster?
Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

Another naif that believes in POP's word
:dramaquee

George Gervin's Afro
02-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Concerning the beno situation I am beginning to wonder if Pop has lost him. As in life some people's personalities just don't mesh and this seems to be one of those situations. From what I can see Pop is a striaght forward no bulhshit kind of coach and some players respond to that. Pop seems willing to give his players a tough straight-to-the point constructive criticism. Some players respond and some don't. I think Beno falls into the latter. Pop puts pressure on his players to be responsible and to know what the team is trying to accomplish on a nightly basis. Beno seems to be playing not to make a mistake rather than just 'playing' which leads to further mistakes. At this point a move may be good for both parties involved.

SAGambler
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Beno has been "playing scared" so to speak. Knowing that one mistake gets him a trip back to the bench, what once was a pure shot, turned sour.

Did anyone notice his performance at Jersey? Knowing he wouldn't be pulled with such a lead, the pure shooting returned for a few minutes.

I still say Beno was ruined with the Nick Van Excel experiment. Yes, he had a few problems, but the shot wasn't one of them.

And even Pop says Beno is the best passer on the team.

I think he has to be traded now. I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt the Spurs someday.

mountainballer
02-15-2007, 09:27 AM
The three teams most desperate for a new point guard (Miami, Cleveland, Lakers).....

hellooooooo Ferry!
it could be so easy. we just swap Beno for Varejao!
no? ok then Beno+Scola rights for Varejao.
Beno+Scola rights+ 2nd round pick??.... + White?
ok, then Beno+Butler for Pavlovic+Gibson+Dwayne Jones (for the numbers)
done!

Miami:
a potential trade for Posey died with the Williams trade.
otherwise something like Beno+Butler+Williams for Posey would have made sense.

MoSpur
02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Beno has his moments. He does have a lot of skill and is a great passer. Its just that he doesn't do it enough when he is on the court.

VaSpursFan
02-15-2007, 11:09 AM
beno has a fragile pysche and cracks under pressure. he has talent but if he can't get the mental aspect of the game down, his talent is worthless since it will never manifest itself in a game situation.

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Wasn't it just a few days ago that Gregg Popovich said there would be no trades and no changes to the roster? Well, the Ely trade proved that Pop was merely disseminating some misinformation (he learned that from all his years spying on the Soviets).

This quote is crap....Pop never said the Spurs weren't going to trade anyone, he said they were only going to trade "peripheral" players. I don't think the Spurs FO is planning something HUGE and wouldn't be suprised if any other trade the Spurs made would have a similar goal (to tweak).

I do think that the Spurs will consider a deal that might be too good to pass up (Maggette), but doubt they'll seek to make a big splash.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think the Spurs want Maggette. If they did, if they truly thought he could improve this team, they would have pulled the trigger already. But I think they like Barry too much. If one of these things were different:

1) Injury prone (sat out a week after a pedicure gone wrong).
2) Contract runs one year too long (he would take his player option).
3) Absolutely no defense.

... then it would be a different story. He's also a lousy outside shooter. I think they've already assessed the situation and decided that Maggette is not the one for them.

nkdlunch
02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
would anyone consider Dixon?

He is soft, but not softer than Beno.

RC's Boss
02-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah beno is gay

ashbeeigh
02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Beno needs to take some xanax or something. Maybe he'd be able to actually play then.

MannyIsGod
02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
What part of the Clips don't want anything we have to offer do people simply not understand? Thats the reason Magette isn't a Spur. Thats it. Why do people keep trying to read anything else into something that is freaking obvious? It is like the fuckers who see Jesus in a tortilla.

T Park
02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
or a tree.

Slinkyman
02-15-2007, 03:29 PM
denver is said to be looking for back court help, maybe they'd give up one of their forwards for beno, maybe diawara or kleiza?

Testing
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Wow, If they manage to trade Magette to the Heat for Posey, Heat will look mighty scarier come playoff time.

Bruno
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
What part of the Clips don't want anything we have to offer do people simply not understand?

I'm not sure that Spurs have no chance at all to land Maggette before the trade deadline.
Clippers have waited to get an offer they like without a result. They will have to do a choice at the trade deadline : either keeping Maggette or taking the best offer available.
Are they ready to keep him despite his bad relation with Dunleavy ?
Is Spurs offer the best available ?
I haven't an answer for both questions but I don't think there is an obvious one.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 04:22 PM
What part of the Clips don't want anything we have to offer do people simply not understand? Thats the reason Magette isn't a Spur. Thats it. Why do people keep trying to read anything else into something that is freaking obvious? It is like the fuckers who see Jesus in a tortilla.

This is absolutely and completely counter-factual.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow, If they manage to trade Magette to the Heat for Posey, Heat will look mighty scarier come playoff time.

I think this is the likeliest deal at this point, if LAC still elects to trade him. I don't think the Spurs are interested, I'm not sure Sterling wants Dunleavy's son there, and I'm not sure what Utah is offering, maybe something with Giricek.

timvp
02-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't think the Spurs want Maggette. If they did, if they truly thought he could improve this team, they would have pulled the trigger already. But I think they like Barry too much.

Haven't you been the one saying the deal was never on the table? How can they pull the trigger on a deal that never was, as you've been telling me?

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Haven't you been the one saying the deal was never on the table? How can they pull the trigger on a deal that never was, as you've been telling me?

What do you mean "on the table"? As in, about to be signed? No, I don't think so. Was there interest shown on both sides? Absolutely. If the Spurs wanted Maggette, they could have done Barry+Udrih+future first rounder, as has been stated here numerous times. LAC basically stated that's what they were looking for. The price is probably lower now, but I think the Spurs don't want him. They didn't want to part with the first, at the very least, or their two ball handlers. Now, even with Udrih marginalized and without the first involved, I don't think the Spurs want it done.

timvp
02-15-2007, 04:43 PM
The Clippers said what they'd be interested in and the Spurs shot it down.

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? There is no evidence the Clippers would have taken the deal.

If the Spurs wanted Maggette, they could have done Barry+Udrih+future first rounder.

So after two months, you see where I'm coming from? The Spurs could have had him. That's been my point since this whole mess started.

:madrun

MannyIsGod
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Counter factual? :lol @ you reffering to anything about this trade speculation as "fact" or "counter factual". I've seen ONE credible report saying the Clippers were intrigued by Beno/Barry, and thats it. I've seen subsequent reports saying they won't do the deal.

:lmao... Counter factual.... nice.

AFBlue
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
So after two months, you see where I'm coming from? The Spurs could have had him. That's been my point since this whole mess started.

Does it really matter what could have happened?

Bottom Line: The Spurs were hesitant to trade Barry for Maggette then, and I don't think much has happened to change their minds.

IMO, no "significant" trades will go down involving the Spurs (man I could really eat my words...but then again, I'd be happy to do so).

MannyIsGod
02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Saying that the Spurs could have had Magette at any point is by far reading a whole hell of a lot into the word "intrigued".

ChumpDumper
02-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Maggette is going to likely be a trade deadline deal, especially since Sterling has to be convinced of any trade. Our big advantage is that we can give them two three point shooters that aren't troublemakers. Baylor still has time to see if anyone is willing to sweeten the deal.

Bruno
02-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Saying that the Spurs could have had Magette at any point is by far reading a whole hell of a lot into the word "intrigued".

(I) picked Corey Maggette's brain about where he might get traded (he thinks the Spurs are still a possibility)

MannyIsGod
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Bruno, I'm not saying its not a possibliity (albiet its an extreme longshot), what I am saying is that there is no way the Clips ever said "Magette for Barry/Beno" and the Spurs said "NO!".

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
1. The Spurs could have had Maggette for Barry+Udrih+a future first.
1a. The Spurs did not want to do this. They claimed due to losing their bench ball-handlers.
1b. There was a brief mention of Bonner at one point, suggesting Barry+Bonner+the first. The Spurs were not thrilled with this.

2. The asking price for Maggette has likely gone down. He pitched a fit about Dunleavy. If he's traded this year, he's traded cheap.
2a. LAC will accept less than their "veteran player, young prospect, plus future first rounder" demand.

3. The Spurs will not trade Barry+Udrih for Maggette. Udrih they don't care about. Barry they like a lot. Mostly they don't think Maggette will work as a Spur.
3a. This is my hypothesis, but I think it's true. The Spurs could have had him for Barry+Udrih+future first. They could have him now for the first two of those elements.

4. Maggette, if he is traded this year, will be traded for James Posey, possibly Dunleavy's son, or a package including Gordon Giricek.

Bruno
02-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Bruno, I'm not saying its not a possibliity (albiet its an extreme longshot), what I am saying is that there is no way the Clips ever said "Magette for Barry/Beno" and the Spurs said "NO!".

I'm not saying too that Spurs have turned down a Maggette for "Barry/Beno" deal.
I just disagree with you that it's an extreme longshot. To me Spurs' chances to get Maggette are closer to 20% than 1%.

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm not saying too that Spurs have turned down a Maggette for "Barry/Beno" deal.
I just disagree with you that it's an extreme longshot. To me Spurs' chances to get Maggette are closer to 20% than 1%.

To restate what I think has happened: The Spurs do not want Maggette. They have already decided he is not good within their system. I may be wrong, but I don't think they care to be in the running.

ChumpDumper
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
My guess is that the first rounder and/or the last year of Maggette's contract were the sticking points for the Spurs more than any great love for ballhandling guards. Maggette may have driven the price down to where the first rounder is no longer necessary. We'll see in a week.

Bruno
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
To restate what I think has happened: The Spurs do not want Maggette. They have already decided he is not good within their system. I may be wrong, but I don't think they care to be in the running.

Maybe you're right, maybe not.
Every Reports (and Maggette) say that Spurs are interested.

As said ChumpDumper : we'll see in a week.

timvp
02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
1. The Spurs could have had Maggette for Barry+Udrih+a future first.

What made you change your mind? You've been fighting me over that point for like two months now.

Either way, welcome to the light.

:fro

MannyIsGod
02-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Intrigued never meant so much.

When was a 1st round pick ever even mentioned outside of this forum?

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
What made you change your mind? You've been fighting me over that point for like two months now.

Either way, welcome to the light.

:fro

What are you talking about? That's what the Clippers stated they wanted. They stated that very early on and it's a matter of record. Change my mind from what? The Spurs said they didn't want to give up their ball-handlers, but I suspected there was more to it than that, namely not wanting to give up a first round pick. In the meantime, I believe the Spurs decided they did not want Maggette. On this last point, I may be wrong, but I think they're done with it. So... whatsit about coming to the light, now? Because I admitted a factual point about the whole deal that I've been saying for about a month and a half now? Why do you claim victories over strawmen?

Mr. Body
02-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Intrigued never meant so much.

When was a 1st round pick ever even mentioned outside of this forum?

Wakey, wakey. Ever heard of Elgin Baylor? GM of the Clippers?

I swear you have shit for brains.

timvp
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? There is no evidence the Clippers would have taken the deal.

If the Spurs wanted Maggette, they could have done Barry+Udrih+future first rounder.

Can you not see the difference?

First you said that the Clippers wouldn't have taken the deal. Now you are saying the Clippers would have taken the deal, but the Spurs don't want Maggette.

midgetonadonkey
02-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I can see the difference timvp.

RC's Boss
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
You know, I personally never saw a hint that the Spurs were going to trade for Ely. Same thing last year w/ Barry for J.R. Smith. We knew Barry was being shopped, but to who was all speculation. It seems once these rumors hit ESPN.com or this forum, the FO nixes the deal. If Beno is traded, you can bank on it that it'll be a scenario none of us had any idea about.

RC's Boss
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I can see the difference timvp.
I can even smell it :drunk

T Park
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
You know, I personally never saw a hint that the Spurs were going to trade for Ely. Same thing last year w/ Barry for J.R. Smith. We knew Barry was being shopped, but to who was all speculation. It seems once these rumors hit ESPN.com or this forum, the FO nixes the deal. If Beno is traded, you can bank on it that it'll be a scenario none of us had any idea about.

You thought THAT was out of left field.

What about Danny Ferry for Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer.

RC's Boss
02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
You thought THAT was out of left field.

What about Danny Ferry for Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer.
No shit! I doubt another west team makes a trade w/ us anyway. I may be wrong, but it's always been an east team the past few years.

T Park
02-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Like Ive said before.

No team wants to help em.

They take the attitude, if they want this guy, he must be good, or, we could get more from someelse so why help.

MannyIsGod
02-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Wakey, wakey. Ever heard of Elgin Baylor? GM of the Clippers?

I swear you have shit for brains.I have shit for brains because I never saw the Spurs and their first rounder connected? Give me a fucking break Mr. I need buyouts explained to me. Do you really want to check the post record to see who out of the 2 of us has shit for brains? Don't act exasperated with me when 1) you have no evidence and 2) you've been the one to continously miss simple fucking points and misevaluate players. Thats some bullshit if I've ever seen it.

So yeah, when you find me a link to anywhere the Spurs turned down any deal with the Clippers for a 1st round pick (or ANY reason for that matter) I would LOVE to see it.

Shit for brains indeed, dipshit.

phxspurfan
02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
This is absolutely and completely counter-factual.

this is a veritable conundrum.

Louie Vega
02-19-2007, 10:00 PM

I laughed so hard after reading that I think I just sharted!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I have shit for brains because I never saw the Spurs and their first rounder connected? Give me a fucking break Mr. I need buyouts explained to me. Do you really want to check the post record to see who out of the 2 of us has shit for brains? Don't act exasperated with me when 1) you have no evidence and 2) you've been the one to continously miss simple fucking points and misevaluate players. Thats some bullshit if I've ever seen it.

So yeah, when you find me a link to anywhere the Spurs turned down any deal with the Clippers for a 1st round pick (or ANY reason for that matter) I would LOVE to see it.

Shit for brains indeed, dipshit.

:lol Manny is on a tear lately. Of course, it's easy when your counterpoint is presented by Mr. Nobody.

RADECK
02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
The only guy Spurs should trade is one and only Mr.POPE!
Last year in playoffs he played with 7 players, in some games 8! So why he need more players on roster, to sit on bench! If Beno had more minutes on court he would be able to show that he is good player, with all respect to Spurs roster, thare are missing better backups for Bowen, Duncan, not talking about center position!
And comparing Jacque and Beno, please check stats http://www.nba.com/spurs/stats/ !!!!!!

Kori Ellis
02-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Who's Mr. Pope?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Another naif that believes in POP's word
:dramaquee

Pop said he wouldn't make any major trades. If he did make one, it would involve the end of the bench. That's exactly what Erik Williams is.

mountainballer
02-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Who's Mr. Pope?

I guess Mr. Pope is a Dallas fan anyhow.

Ocotillo
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Awesome post RADECK!! Looking forward to more........now answer Kori's question Mr. Pope.

regio
02-21-2007, 12:27 AM
http://bowl-games.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/20/trades-that-should-happen-maggette-to-the-spurs/

Trades That Should Happen: Maggette to the Spurs

With the NBA trade deadline looming, the FanHouse looks at potential trades out there that would make the NBA a better, brighter, place.

Word on the street is that Donald Sterling is the only person in the Clippers organization that wants to keep Maggette around. The other players are tired of his complaining, the coaches don't particularly like his attitude, and he can't grab spot in the starting line-up. Said Maggette recently about his lack of playing time:
"I don't get it, I really don't. It's crazy. I put in work. I deserve to play. It's totally mind-boggling to me. [It's] unbelievable that I couldn't help this team tonight. Why? Why?"
The Clippers even signed Doug Christie recently. Doug Christie. Cut him loose, Clippers. Maggette has a skill set that could be used somewhere else.

Namely, with the San Antonio Spurs. San Antone could use an upgrade in athleticism, and it would be nice to have someone who could come off the bench and score quickly in a variety of ways. Maggette's rebounding ability would also help the Spurs fill a need.

It's true that Maggette's not much of a defender, and it's true that he's got a reputation as a bit of a knucklehead. But it's impossible to act a fool in San Antonio. Greg Popovich won't allow it, neither will the team's leadership. His defense would improve simply by virtue of being a Spur, and if you need a stopper on the floor, then hey, that's what Bruce Bowen's for.

Brent Barry along with one or more from the group of Matt Bonner, Jackie Bulter, Francisco Elson, Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Jacques Vaughn, and James White, and draft picks could work under the cap.

Horry For 3!
02-21-2007, 12:35 AM
http://bowl-games.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/20/trades-that-should-happen-maggette-to-the-spurs/

With the NBA trade deadline looming, the FanHouse looks at potential trades out there that would make the NBA a better, brighter, place.

Word on the street is that Donald Sterling is the only person in the Clippers organization that wants to keep Maggette around. The other players are tired of his complaining, the coaches don't particularly like his attitude, and he can't grab spot in the starting line-up. Said Maggette recently about his lack of playing time:
"I don't get it, I really don't. It's crazy. I put in work. I deserve to play. It's totally mind-boggling to me. [It's] unbelievable that I couldn't help this team tonight. Why? Why?"
The Clippers even signed Doug Christie recently. Doug Christie. Cut him loose, Clippers. Maggette has a skill set that could be used somewhere else.

Namely, with the San Antonio Spurs. San Antone could use an upgrade in athleticism, and it would be nice to have someone who could come off the bench and score quickly in a variety of ways. Maggette's rebounding ability would also help the Spurs fill a need.

It's true that Maggette's not much of a defender, and it's true that he's got a reputation as a bit of a knucklehead. But it's impossible to act a fool in San Antonio. Greg Popovich won't allow it, neither will the team's leadership. His defense would improve simply by virtue of being a Spur, and if you need a stopper on the floor, then hey, that's what Bruce Bowen's for.

Brent Barry along with one or more from the group of Matt Bonner, Jackie Bulter, Francisco Elson, Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Jacques Vaughn, and James White, and draft picks could work under the cap.
Barry + Oberto + Beno for Maggette

Barry + Oberto + Beno + 2nd rnd pick for Maggette (if the first one doesn't work)

Darkwaters
02-21-2007, 12:46 AM
What about Barry + Butler + Pick for Maggette? That one works too.

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 01:19 AM
David Aldridge, speaking on TNT Tuesday night, reported that he thinks the Clippers will take "one last look" at a Maggette deal before the deadline. This is despite the denials by GM Elgin Baylor. He went onto say that the Clips are still entertaining the possibilities of acquiring JKidd or Vince Carter. Be assured that any such deal would likely include Maggette as a trade chip.

Personally, I still think Maggette can be had by the Spurs if any of those scenarios fail and it gets to the wire. Judging from their pitiful performance versus the Suns at home, the Clips have clearly cratered for the season. They have "0" team chemistry and it seems to me that they absolutely MUST move Maggette to improve it.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 01:31 AM
As I've said before, but it bears repeating, I don't think the Spurs want Corey Maggette. They considered it but have moved on.

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 01:48 AM
As I've said before, but it bears repeating, I don't think the Spurs want Corey Maggette. They considered it but have moved on.

Could be. I hope not because I believe he fits a lot fo what the Spurs need at that position.

If not him, I hope they've got their sights set on another swingman of similar skill set.

Despot
02-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Why do I get the feeling someone is just hoping that Maggette doesn't come here so that he can spew out "I told you so!!" after the trade deadline.

I actually think Vince Carter will be traded for Maggette.

mikejones99
02-21-2007, 01:56 AM
no deals needed for Spurs.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-21-2007, 02:24 AM
David Aldridge, speaking on TNT Tuesday night, reported that he thinks the Clippers will take "one last look" at a Maggette deal before the deadline. This is despite the denials by GM Elgin Baylor. He went onto say that the Clips are still entertaining the possibilities of acquiring JKidd or Vince Carter. Be assured that any such deal would likely include Maggette as a trade chip.

Personally, I still think Maggette can be had by the Spurs if any of those scenarios fail and it gets to the wire. Judging from their pitiful performance versus the Suns at home, the Clips have clearly cratered for the season. They have "0" team chemistry and it seems to me that they absolutely MUST move Maggette to improve it.

Putting Cory, Vince and Richard Jefferson on the same squad?

ploto
02-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I continue to believe that the sticking point is that extra year on his contract.

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 08:14 AM

Sorry reg, but this article says nothing. Of course the Clippers "should" trade Maggette...dude is a malcontent in their locker room, an underperforming thorn in the coaches' sides. But that doesn't increase the likelihood that a trade WILL happen.

Maybe the Clips do get desperate before the deadline tomorrow and maybe he does get moved, but if he is in LA after tomorrow I won't be suprised.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest proponents of him coming to the Spurs, but I'm just skeptical about the chances a deal gets done....

RADECK
02-21-2007, 08:15 AM
http://metaphorge.cyber1a.net/livejournal/ratzinger.gif http://usocpressbox.org/usoc/pressbox.nsf/3c01d9f04af8fff78725710600511a4e/6c3b17df6a11579785256eef002eb967/$FILE/Popovich,Gregg.jpg

POP-POPE!-answer to Kori's question!!

And something for mountainballer, you representing sick mentality of USA people!

Maybe my daughter knows more about basketball than you! OK?

And maybe european thinking is too much for you :reading

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 08:20 AM

This is where I disagree.

I think the coaches and even GM would move Maggette for a package of Barry + Beno/Butler/Oberto/Bonner/etc....

But the owner seems resolute in keeping Maggette as a member of the Clips squad for everything short of an all-star (think he'd consent if Maggette was a key piece in a megadeal for Kidd, etc.).

I don't think Sterling feels any pressure to make a deal and I doubt that one more loss before the deadline changes his mind. That means the deal doesn't go through because he's final authority on the issue...

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 08:24 AM
http://metaphorge.cyber1a.net/livejournal/ratzinger.gif http://usocpressbox.org/usoc/pressbox.nsf/3c01d9f04af8fff78725710600511a4e/6c3b17df6a11579785256eef002eb967/$FILE/Popovich,Gregg.jpg

POP-POPE!-answer to Kori's question!!

And something for mountainballer, you representing sick mentality of USA people!

Let me get this straight...

You think that Pop looks like the Pope, and that the Pope looks like the evil Emperor from Star Wars, therefore....

Pop is evil, because he looks like the Pope, who is evil because he looks like an evil character in a movie?

Stunning logic.... :dizzy

RADECK
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
i just said that Pop needs to be trade!

suitedkings
02-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Has the idea of a 3 way deal with SA/NETS/CLIPS been discussed?

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Has the idea of a 3 way deal with SA/NETS/CLIPS been discussed?

Not that I've read....what would it look like?

suitedkings
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Get Kidd to LA. Cassell and Barry/Udrih to the Nets and Mags to the Spurs?

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Get Kidd to LA. Cassell and Barry/Udrih to the Nets and Mags to the Spurs?

That doesn't work according to salary restrictions. The main reason why three-team deals are hardly ever consummated....just too damn complicated to figure out.

steppy
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
At this time, I think getting a decent back up pg is most crucial.

suitedkings
02-21-2007, 09:55 AM
That doesn't work according to salary restrictions. The main reason why three-team deals are hardly ever consummated....just too damn complicated to figure out.

Looking at the raw numbers they are pretty close, maybe throw in butler? ah well, i was a thought.

mountainballer
02-21-2007, 10:19 AM

wow, looks as if I somehow acquired my first stalker.

I don't have the slightest idea, how I was nominated for this honor.
I also don't have the slightest idea why you rumble in here to tell me what I represent.
neither do I have an idea, what "representing the sick mentality of USA people" exactly means.
I always thought some people have a sick mentality, others don't (usually depending from the relative point of view), but blaming the people of a whole country to be of a "sick mentality" is just racism.
and since I do belive that all racists are assholes and are representing the sick mentality of people in general, I'm sorry that I have to tell you, that we can't become friends.
I can only hope for all my Slovenian friends, that they don't have the misfortune to live next door to you.

btw. a lot of people know more about basketball than I do. if your daughter happens to be one of them, it just increases the number by another one.
so what?