PDA

View Full Version : Official Francisco Elson is God thread

carib
02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
What is Francisco Elson Role on the Spurs?

Francisco started of on the Spurs as a very athletic versatile big man and then he lost a lot of playing time. I would like to see him start more games, and on the court more with Tim. Francisco goes after rebounds and he will bang with any big man under the rim he is not a soft big man. The more playing time you give him the better he plays. The more time a big player is on the court the faster he finds his rhythm.

Francisco Elson is the Spurs hidden treasure.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
You guys start threads after every player on this team has a good game. Other Spurstalk classics:

Finley turns the corner.
Brent Barry is fearless.

etc etc.

Why don't you wait to see a player do something on a consistent basis before hyping anyone up?

carib
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Why don't you wait to see a player do something on a consistent basis before hyping anyone up?[/QUOTE]

I would love to see Francisco get more consistent playing time, but when he does he comes to play. This player does not need the hype he is one of the better big men on the Spurs team.

mkwmscorpion1
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
You guys start threads after every player on this team has a good game. Other Spurstalk classics:

Finley turns the corner.
Brent Barry is fearless.

etc etc.

Why don't you wait to see a player do something on a consistent basis before hyping anyone up?

i agree 100% this was my point and my thread gets deleted.

Rasho, rasho, rasho, rasho 4 Liffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeee

MannyIsGod
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
:lol

He is one of the better bigmen, but he's far from a hidden treasure. You guys just love to hype up players that have one game.

This game is a fluke until it is followed up by more. Thats all there is to it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-14-2007, 09:46 PM
i agree 100% this was my point and my thread gets deleted.

Rasho, rasho, rasho, rasho 4 Liffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeee

That wasn't your point, you were sucking Rasho's dick and cussing out everyone who disagreed with you (which was everyone).

mkwmscorpion1
02-14-2007, 09:51 PM
thats becasue none of you know anything about basketball (sorry 4 the hijack)

carib
02-14-2007, 09:52 PM

He is one of the better bigmen, but he's far from a hidden treasure. You guys just love to hype up players that have one game.

I went back and check the numbers on Francisco, from the day he became a Spur, when he starts he has a big game. The more he is on the court the better he gets.

What I am saying is he needs more minutes, when he is not scoring he gets the Rebounds.

Aggie Hoopsfan

Right, and you, the rook poster with 3 posts who is smoking Rasho's pole, does.
:rolleyes

Texas_Ranger

Finley turns the corner.
Brent Barry is fearless.

etc etc.

I agree. This kind of threads make me sick.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 09:55 PM
He has 2 1/2 good games out of 50 something - you can't call him a treasure :lol

But he did a great job tonight.

mkwmscorpion1
i know we won more games with rasho starting than we have without him and i go by stats. and i still dont understand why it would matter how long ive been on this site.

SequSpur
Dude put up 12 points and 18 rebounds... Its only one game, but those are huge numbers against the best team in the East.

It's Spurstime Baby!!

carib
What has Fabricio Oberto done for you lately?

carib
02-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Lets hope that Fabricio Oberto is here after the 22

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
He has 2 1/2 good games out of 50 something - you can't call him a treasure :lol

But he did a great job tonight.

Mmmm... I was dissapointed Pop didn't let him play more in the 2nd game against the Mavs. Hopefully he contains Dirk a little better than Oberto did last time we met

Cant_Be_Faded
god damnit how did i know there were going to be like 4 or 5 chodes exploding about elson, jeezus, grow a freaking face

NuGGeTs-FaN
Hidden? Frankie never hides

mkwmscorpion1
nothing he not with the spurs any longer thats the point we would be better with him

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-14-2007, 09:57 PM
i know we won more games with rasho starting than we have without him and i go by stats. and i still dont understand why it would matter how long ive been on this site.

Rasho's playing every game in Toronto. Tell me how many wins they have, stat boy.

Thanks for playing.

td4mvp21
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Well, you seem like a credible source so maybe we should listen to you?

Aggie Hoopsfan
nothing he not with the spurs any longer thats the point we would be better with him

Okay dumbass. He was with us last year. He sure made a HUGE difference against the Mavs.

ploto, is that you?

SequSpur
Dude put up 12 points and 18 rebounds... Its only one game, but those are huge numbers against the best team in the East.

It's Spurstime Baby!!

WTF does this have to do with a hidden treasure? :rolleyes

Hidden treasure is stupid... Dude had one good game and now he's a hidden treasure? The only thing he deserves is props for this one game.

I want my own topics. :wakeup

carib
02-14-2007, 09:59 PM
If there is a big player that does not run the court Fabricio Oberto plays better, against a running big man he has no chance.

Give me Francisco

mkwmscorpion1
02-14-2007, 10:01 PM
sorry the spell checker missed that one. and if i recall the raptors are having a better season than they have had in a long time since getting rasho

ShoogarBear
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
If Elson averages 12 and 18 the rest of the way, the Spurs will be okay.

mkwmscorpion1
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
If there is a big player that does not run the court Rasho plays better, against a running big man he has no chance.

Give me Francisco

i do agree with this statement but what about shaq, yao, or dampier my point is that rasho would help our team more than just having athletic big men we need both

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Props to Elson. He did a good job of competing on defense. I was more impressed with his overall energy than his rebounding, which is saying something since he finished with 18 boards. If the Spurs can box out like they were doing and Elson can go and get it, they may solve some of the rebounding problems.

Nice to see that the first game of the season wasn't a complete fluke. If he can play anywhere near this level, that'll help the Spurs' chances down the stretch of the season.

Oh and props to Pop for taking Oberto out of the rotation. If Oberto isn't going to try every game, he doesn't deserve minutes. Only reason he played at all tonight is because Elson knocked knees in the first half.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
With Bonner and Ely coming in, I see no reason to even dress Oberto.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Elson's best game of the year IMO.

Better than the Mavericks game by leaps and bounds

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
Props to Elson. He did a good job of competing on defense. I was more impressed with his overall energy than his rebounding, which is saying something since he finished with 18 boards. If the Spurs can box out like they were doing and Elson can go and get it, they may solve some of the rebounding problems.

Nice to see that the first game of the season wasn't a complete fluke. If he can play anywhere near this level, that'll help the Spurs' chances down the stretch of the season.

Oh and props to Pop for taking Oberto out of the rotation. If Oberto isn't going to try every game, he doesn't deserve minutes. Only reason he played at all tonight is because Elson knocked knees in the first half.

I agree, him and Duncan were altering shots in the paint all night

T Park
With Bonner and Ely coming in, I see no reason to even dress Oberto

I see no reason for him to even live here anyore.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Grow a face?

Kori Ellis
With Bonner and Ely coming in, I see no reason to even dress Oberto.

I see no reason to continue to have him on the Spurs. Doesn't Jerry West still like him? Just ship him and Beno to Memphis for any kind of scraps.

T Park
Who would've thunk Elson's best game of the year would've come against the dern Pistons.

Copy and repeat whatever was done tonight on the rebounding side of the ball.

baseline bum
Holy shit... 18 boards! Nice performance.

Cant_Be_Faded
I gotta say an underrated hero of tonight's game was our little buddy Vaughn. When they put him in the late first quarter, we went on our big run, plus pop kept him in for major minutes in that stretch--that told me something. He ran the offense, played D, and thats all we needed. He successfully avoided being forced into taking a jumper until late in the second half, and only made one point guard mistake the whole game.

prahps brah
Elson still sucks. If he had caused a backcourt violation after that one offensive board, i bet you anythign pop would have taken his ass out the game.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I see no reason to continue to have him on the Spurs. Doesn't Jerry West still like him? Just ship and Beno to Memphis for any kind of scraps.

Trade him for Will Conroy's 10 day contract.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Nice point CBF.

Vaughn puts two straight solid nights together.

Unfortunately hes Jason hart all over again.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice point CBF.

The guy can do what we need him to do. He had a good game for Vaughn, but overall I have not seen him do anything we have come to expect of our backup point guard the past 3 seasons. His D was solid, and maybe it was bad coaching but they didn't force him to take a jumper at a crucial point of his playing time; I was cheering for him far more than Elson.

Elson
still
suxx

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I see no reason to continue to have him on the Spurs. Doesn't Jerry West still like him? Just ship him and Beno to Memphis for any kind of scraps.

Beno and Oberto for Atkins works. And Memphis just traded away their backup center.

:smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 10:20 PM
In fact, after all this predictable Elson loving, I hate elson more than ever.

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Good points concerning Vaughn, CBF. Vaughn is actually playing better and better the more time he sees. Praps by the playoffs, he can at least be an average backup point guard. And if he is, that's better than what the Spurs have had since Speedy left.

I like him versus Dallas in the playoffs because I think he can keep Devin Harris from turning into Michael Jordan again.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:22 PM
CBF has been made jealous of Elson.

Elson must have come out against the "man" more intelligently than CBF or somethin.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM

you right,he aint no hidden treasure,Ely is :spin
(for what I red these last couple days)

jn77
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Elson continues to impress me. I like him in the starting role. What is going to happen to him when Ely starts getting minutes and Bonner returns to the line up? Does his play and the addition of Ely make Oberto trade bait? I don't think tonight's game was a fluke, I think it's a continued improvement of someone who is getting more confident in his role with the Spurs. Kinda wish it happenned sooner, but better late in the season than never.

Still a proud, card carrying member of the Church of Elson. Time to come into the light people!

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Good points concerning Vaughn, CBF. Vaughn is actually playing better and better the more time he sees. Praps by the playoffs, he can at least be an average backup point guard. And if he is, that's better than what the Spurs have had since Speedy left.

I like him versus Dallas in the playoffs because I think he can keep Devin Harris from turning into Michael Jordan again.

Alright, what did Kori put in his drink.....

Kori Ellis
Nice point CBF.

The big difference between him and Hart is that he's also taken on a vocal leadership role - on the bench, on the court and in practice. So his assistance to this team is going far more than running the O and solid D.

He's been great lately. I still wish they had a better option (a backup PG that could shoot), but Vaughn has been pretty steady.

ChumpDumper
Beno and Oberto for Atkins works. And Memphis just traded away their backup center.

:smokinWe have to hope West thinks Beno is better than Junior Harrington.
:drunk

ShoogarBear
Fran will now have the ASB to enjoy some TexMex, fatten up, and grab 2 boards in 25 minutes next game.

Cherry
Francisco did a good job tonight. :toast

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 10:25 PM
CBF has been made jealous of Elson.

Elson must have come out against the "man" more intelligently than CBF or somethin.

No I just hate him cuz he reminds me of Nazr, then reading the predictable Elson threads makes me hate him more.

Show me a stretch, show me TWO GAMES of quality play, and I may like the guy, but one good game against a team playing Chris Webber does not a CBF impress.

T Park
If the Pistons decide to play Webber heavy minutes instead of Mcdyess, Elson can play well vs him.

Id still like to see how he would do in a starting role, vs Dallas and Phoenix.

The last Phoenix game not withstanding of course.

Kori Ellis
Elson continues to impress me. I like him in the starting role. What is going to happen to him when Ely starts getting minutes and Bonner returns to the line up? Does his play and the addition of Ely make Oberto trade bait? I don't think tonight's game was a fluke, I think it's a continued improvement of someone who is getting more confident in his role with the Spurs. Kinda wish it happenned sooner, but better late in the season than never.

Still a proud, card carrying member of the Church of Elson. Time to come into the light people!

How does he continue to impress you? Did you fall asleep between the season opener and tonight? :lol Because he has sucked for 90% of the season.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Show me a stretch, show me TWO GAMES of quality play

:look it up :lol

He played well vs Cleveland the second game of the year.

he played very well vs Dallas the first game of the year.

Hes had other good games.

Just not like this...

1Parker1
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Elson still sucks on D, but due to his size if he can be kept on the floor with Duncan, that alters a lot of shots in and of itself.

Another thing that I think gets Elson going that I mentioned in the other thread is when he gets easy baskets in transition from Parker. That increases his confidence and energy and they should try to do it more in the 1st quarter to get him going.

Let's see if Elson can continue to even put up HALF of tonights numbers after the ASB. I'm still not sold on him.

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
but one good game against a team playing Chris Webber does not a CBF impress.

Yeah, Elson's speed was finally a factor offensively ... mostly because he was going against the slowest player in the league. With Rasheed on Duncan, that left Webber to gimp down the court on Elson.

But then again, that's something Flip should have noticed and fixed.

exstatic
02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Lithium - It's what's for dinner. :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Just not like this...

Seriously. He's had 2 1/2 good games this whole entire season.

atxrocker
pretty solid numbers tonight

Cant_Be_Faded

Just not like this...

hmm
well iirc cleveland kicked our ass that game, but overall i don't get to watch shit for spurs games, which is why i don't comment too much in this forum this season :pctoss
league pass is a priority for next season.

timvp

Uh, Elson sucked against Cleveland.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Uh, Elson sucked against Cleveland.

Yeah he was horrible in that game. He looked blind on defense and only played 12 minutes or so.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:32 PM
First one, no thte second one.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Ok hes the worst center of all time...

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Are you talking about the second game of the season?? He was horrible.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Ok hes the worst center of all time...

He's not the worst center of all time, but you can't ride his jock this hard when after 53 games into the season, he's had less than a handful of decent games.

1Parker1
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM
I think Elson was decent in the Wizards game....so he's good 3 games out of 50.

1Parker1
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 10:36 PM
lol
elson's as soft as charmin

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:36 PM

He was playing a SG in that game because Bowen was playing the PF. So that's why I gave him 1/2 a credit :lol

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
He's not the worst center of all time, but you can't ride his jock this hard when after 53 games into the season, he's had less than a handful of decent games

Eh...

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
elson's as soft as charmin

Whats that make Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio Mcdeyss.

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Elson sucked in both of them.

And yeah, Elson is soft. No one is going to confuse Elson for a physical center. But more because of that fact he weighs like 195 pounds than he's scared or anything.

Russ
02-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I'll admit I've been a big Elson fan since the beginning. And I'll admit he's not a great center.

But can anyone imagine Oberto having an 18 rebound game? How about Rasho?

Like it or not, as Elson goes, so go the Spurs. How he plays aginst Dallas will tale the tale of that series (if it ever happens). Ditto Houston.

Ninja-Defense
02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Elson sucked in both of them.

And yeah, Elson is soft. No one is going to confuse Elson for a physical center. But more because of that fact he weighs like 195 pounds than he's scared or anything.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for him to get chippy with an opposing player during a game. After the KG run-ins and all...

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Ditto Houston.

Houston is where Ely would come in handy. You need a bruiser against Yao to keep him out of the lane.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Like it or not, as Elson goes, so go the Spurs. How he plays aginst Dallas will tale the tale of that series (if it ever happens). Ditto Houston.
If that were true, the Spurs would have won 3 games this season :)

jn77
02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
How does he continue to impress you? Did you fall asleep between the season opener and tonight? :lol Because he has sucked for 90% of the season.

I think he only sucked for like 80% of the season :lol I like that he seems to be gaining confidence, and understanding his role better. I am also impressed by his improvement from the start of the season. I don't think tonight's game was a fluke, I think it is the continued improvement of someone who is beginning to understand (and becoming comfortable) with his role on this team. Wish it would've come faster, but better late in the season than never!

BTW Kori...I had a feeling you were gonna be the first one to call me out on my post!! :lol

Russ
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Houston is where Ely would come in handy. You need a bruiser against Yao to keep him out of the lane.

Ely's comin . . .

http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffeehouse/1659/eliscoming.html

sabar
02-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Fluke or trade paranoia?

Funny thing is his good games have been against good teams and not in garbage time.

Big Shot Rob
02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Charlie Parker is on the post-game show stating the Francisco did so well because of the Ely trade.

I agree that the vast majority of the season, he has been either mediocre to poor.

But if somehow this guy can turn a corner--man that would be fantastic.

I loved those 18 rebounds--but honestly--in alot of them, it looked like the ball just bounced off the rim and into his hands. Alot of them, Elson did not look like he had to jump very high for them or do a Dennis Rodman number with aggressive physical movement.

I don't mean to diminish his 18 rebounds--those were huge.

I think we should now get Beno and Oberto, put them into a valentine bag and ship them off somewhere in the far, distant future--where we would never see them again...

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2007, 11:37 PM
^^He did seem to show more energy tonight, and if he pulls a Barry maybe we'll be in better shape, but i doubt it.

bigfundamental21
02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
If Frankie can be this aggressive consistently, then we can talk about him being a huge factor for us. Maybe this could be the start of something good, but lets give it some time to see if Frankie is for real. I'm sure the trade put some fire in to him as well. He has to perform to keep his starting spot.

ducks
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
with ely and booner coming back soon
elson will have pressure to play this well to see time on the court
that is good

lcroock
02-14-2007, 11:51 PM
The Spurs are clearly at their best when Elson is on the court.
He is hands down better than anyone we've had since Drob retired (not that that is saying much), but for those of us who have watched the Spurs this year we know that Elson has been under-utilized while guys like Horry/Oberto have been over-utilized. For those of you that like statistics check these out--I don't think it's coincidence either:

Elson 20+ minutes/game = SPURS 16-2

Elson not in lineup: = SPURS 6-5

ELSON < 20minutes/game =SPURS 13-11 (4 of these games Elson had 18 or 19 minutes played and the Spurs won all 4, so you could really say that the 16-2 above should be 20-2 if you take all games he played 18 or more minutes--other than these 4 games Elson's average looks to be somewhere between 10-15 minutes/game)

Bottom line is Pop needs to play this guy more than he has. Screw small ball and get a clue.

boutons_
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
When Fran was hauling in all those RBs, Kori's damning observation kept echoing: Franny always melo-dramatizes a RB when it's uncontested, but he's not a good rebounder in traffic. It seems like nearly all of his RBs tonight were without contention.

Great game, but let's see 1/2 of that meny RBs consistently. He also went Nazr tonight on a couple passes tonight.

ro_50
02-15-2007, 12:00 AM
We live in a world of instant gratification. If a rotation-type player has a great game, they will be rewarded with a thread. If they stink it up the next game, the thread will start "Elson stinks, free Ely."

milkyway21
02-15-2007, 12:13 AM
knock on wood ***

phxspurfan
02-15-2007, 12:19 AM
wow...the one game on fucking NBATV so even with LP I cant record it on DVD and dude goes off...WTF. I H A T E C O X C A B L E

phxspurfan
02-15-2007, 12:20 AM
somebody at least have some pics i can see of this performance? Did he posterize anybody with those 12?

T Park
02-15-2007, 12:24 AM

With Ely here now, you can now have an effective center by committee.

Ely for the Houstons.

Elson or Horry for the Dallas's

Bonner for that spark off the bench when needed.

It all depends on if Pop lets ely play.

milkyway21
02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Houston just added Tsakalidis on their roster:cry

phxspurfan
02-15-2007, 12:32 AM
mer he is not godlike this is one game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I still say all it took was the trade to light a fire under him. At the start of the season when it was still a battle for the center spot with Oberto, he went nuts against Dallas.

Then it appeared he had it locked down, and lets face it - Oberto sucks. Now all of a sudden Ely is coming in and there's a threat to Elson's playing time. So all of a sudden he's got a fire under his ass and playing like his minutes in the rotation depend on his play.

Voila, you get a performance like tonight. Let's hope he keeps it up and Ely is the catalyst for Elson going nuts the rest of the season.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2007, 12:57 AM
its only one game, doesnt speak much.....

J.T.
02-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Waiting for the "Official Premature Ejaculation thread" and "Official Still 8.5 Games Behind Dallas thread".

carib
02-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Waiting for the "Official Premature Ejaculation thread" and "Official Still 8.5 Games Behind Dallas thread".

Do you think the Heat can win the East

Manudona
02-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Fabricio Oberto 52 19:00 2.3 4.1 54.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.4 0.6 64.5 1.8 3.2 5.0 0.9 1.0 0.4 0.4 2.8 4.9
Francisco Elson 41 18:11 2.0 3.8 53.6 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.8 1.0 82.5 1.3 3.6 4.9 1.0 1.2 0.4 0.8 2.6 4.9

Yes, Elson is God

T-Pain
02-15-2007, 01:29 AM
i concur to the purpose of this thread.

ELSON RULES!!!!!

milkyway21
02-15-2007, 01:30 AM
its only one game, doesnt speak much.....but you are happy with the results TDMVPDPOY? :dramaquee

Gros Membres!
02-15-2007, 01:37 AM
The question I'm left with is what were David Robinson's strengths? Tremendous athleticism, determination, and hustle. The guys was a beast because he ran the floor. Tim has never been that guy. What Mahimi can eventually become and what Elson is the proto-type for is the aggressive, lean, athletic big man who keep defense's on their heels with rebounding and running the floor. The twist here being that defense is really the priority. Ely could be a nice alternative as he might be a bigger body for a true center. Bonner is a nice wildcard as well.

Oberto...I just don't see it as a good fit as I don't see him being as aggressive enough for the non-FIBA, low post game. Oberto, I think, was thought to be a transitional guy as the trend moves from the Shaq's to the Amare's but Oberto does not have the footspeed or skill to create any sort of mismatches.

I am liking that the All-Star break starts now. Elson has had some time to get used to the Spurs , had a good night vs. a great team, and now has the opportunity to help the Spurs find an identity. I look forward to seeing if Elson can get consistent and give the Spurs, at the very least, a solid option when the Big 3 are struggling.

Udrihlooms
02-15-2007, 02:48 AM
so, now almost everybody's shouting Elson is the Messiah....

can we have a bookie that within the next five games, we'll all be shouting "Crucify Elson, besides Udrih and Oberto!"

:)

objective
02-15-2007, 03:47 AM
I'll admit I've been a big Elson fan since the beginning. And I'll admit he's not a great center.

But can anyone imagine Oberto having an 18 rebound game? How about Rasho?

I can imagine Nazr having an 18 rebound game. Hell he had a 20 rebound game with the Spurs and had several games in his limited career with the Spurs of at least 14 rebounds. His first playoff game with the Spurs he had 15 and 15.

But it didn't happen consitantly. Still, he did it more often than Elson has.

T Park
02-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, except he said nothing about Nazr....

GrandeDavid
02-15-2007, 05:27 AM
I am almost as frustrated and as joyed by Elson's play last night. Frustrated because I don't think Geico can bring that kind of game consistently.

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2007, 08:10 AM
One game and you think he is god.
Next game he will score 0pts. and have 4reb. and what then? Then he'll be a bag of shit.
He needs to play like this every night and then he will be good. OK he doesn't need to have 18reb. per game, but 8 would be just fine.

hitmanyr2k
02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
The Spurs are clearly at their best when Elson is on the court.
He is hands down better than anyone we've had since Drob retired (not that that is saying much), but for those of us who have watched the Spurs this year we know that Elson has been under-utilized while guys like Horry/Oberto have been over-utilized. For those of you that like statistics check these out--I don't think it's coincidence either:

Elson 20+ minutes/game = SPURS 16-2

Elson not in lineup: = SPURS 6-5

ELSON < 20minutes/game =SPURS 13-11 (4 of these games Elson had 18 or 19 minutes played and the Spurs won all 4, so you could really say that the 16-2 above should be 20-2 if you take all games he played 18 or more minutes--other than these 4 games Elson's average looks to be somewhere between 10-15 minutes/game)

Bottom line is Pop needs to play this guy more than he has. Screw small ball and get a clue.

It would be nice if Popovich stopped jerking the guy around and let him play some meaningful minutes to establish some kind of rhythm but judging from his dumbass rotation pattern (which usually doesn't make sense) that's not going to happen anytime soon.

SenorSpur
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
It was great to see Elson have his greatest game as a Spur. I've always said that Elson was been the best running big man since D-Rob. He's been open a lot in transition. It's only now that Tony and Manu are consciously looking for him. Sure he's bungled a few passes too, but he's coming around. Though, I never expected 18 rebs.

I believe having more PT helped grow Elson's confidence. It's tough trying to get into a groove when you're constantly looking over your shoulder at the bench. I've never understood why Pop continually favored force-feeding minutes to Oberto and an aged Horry, especially in B2B games.

Hopefully this performance will inspire more confidence and a consistent effort from him.

VaSpursFan
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
after the all-star break, pop needs to finalize/shorten his rotation. frankie should get more mins as a result. i don't expect many more 18 rebound games but if he can get 8 to 10 i'd be happy.

Spurs Brazil
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM
More Elson/Ely and no Oberto and we'll be fine

SKINNYPIMP210
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
It would be nice if Popovich stopped jerking the guy around and let him play some meaningful minutes to establish some kind of rhythm but judging from his dumbass rotation pattern (which usually doesn't make sense) that's not going to happen anytime soon.

THANK YOU!

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!