PDA

View Full Version : US to take in 7,000 Iraqi refugees

IX_Equilibrium
02-15-2007, 05:05 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States plans to take in some 7,000 Iraqi refugees by October, more than a ten-fold increase in the number of Iraqi asylum seekers admitted since the 2003 invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein, a senior US official said.

Washington had been under fire for its response to the mounting refugee crisis which has seen two million Iraqis flee their war-ravaged nation and another nearly two million displaced inside the country.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack revealed the decision to allow another 7,000 Iraqis into the United States just after Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice discussed the crisis here with Antonio Guterres, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

McCormack described the figure of 7,000 as a "target" and not a ceiling for the number of Iraqis who will be allowed into the country.

The 7,000 will fall under an existing US refugee quota which provides for accepting 5,500 asylum seekers from the Middle East and South Asia and has a separate "floating" quota of 20,000 not linked to any particular region, McCormack said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070214/pl_afp/usiraqrefugees_070214161626

Bush's Iraqi debacle gets better and better. :shootme

boutons_
02-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Still crumbs compared to what US took in from VN in 1975 alone:

"Many people who had close ties with the Americans feared promised communist reprisals and 125,000 of them left Vietnam during the spring of 1975. This group was generally highly-skilled and educated, and their leaving resulted in a severe brain drain for Vietnam."

Then:

"Additional American laws were passed allowing children of American servicemen and former political prisoners and their families to enter the United States. Between 1981 and 2000, the United States accepted 531,310 Vietnamese political refugees and asylees."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_American

One of the huge problems dubya has is that many educated, talented, wealthy Iraqis,the core of the society has fled the dubya's killing field and are a huge reason the Iraqi society and govt is such a weak debacle, unable to "stand up" and allow dubya to get his dumbfuck ass out of the country.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 08:37 AM
One of the huge problems dubya has is that many educated, talented, wealthy Iraqis,the core of the society has fled the dubya's killing field and are a huge reason the Iraqi society and govt is such a weak debacle, unable to "stand up" and allow dubya to get his dumbfuck ass out of the country.

A while back I stopped responding to anything Boutons said, but "unable to 'stand up' and allow dubya to get his dumbfuck ass out of the country"?????????????

Dude is starting to actually talk like a terrorist.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
you've never heard a terrorist

Alright, terrorist was the wrong description. How about Frenchman?

Yonivore
02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
you've never heard a terrorist
We heard Zawahiri speak just the other day...pretty much saying the same shit as boutons.

I think the analogy was accurate. But, to be fair, the French analogy isn't far off the mark either.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
we surrender :lol always cracks me up :lol man the us is so generous, taking in 7,000 refugees!!! i'm not sure if we could safely take in any more...they'd overrun us!

Do we really want to take in refugees? I mean, how well has the Katrina thing worked in San Antonio? Crime rate has tripled.

I'm kidding.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
But seriously folks -- Take my wife: Please! Take her!

No chance you saw the Simpson's last Sunday is there?

Yonivore
02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
But seriously folks -- Take my wife: Please! Take her!
Maybe somebody has.

xrayzebra
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=johnsmith]A while back I stopped responding to anything Boutons said, but "unable to 'stand up' and allow dubya to get his dumbfuck ass out of the country"?????????????

Dude is starting to actually talk like a terrorist.[/QUOT

He just talks like what he is: A dumb Liberal, who supports
the troops. It is just that the troops he supports are the
ones we are fighting.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
or any rodney dangerfield appearance

Well no shit. But there was a funny reference to that on the Simpsons last Sunday.

Geez, I was just asking.

ChumpDumper
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
7,000?

Wow.

Are we sure we can handle that?

OTOH, it's nice that we're giving $18 million to the UN to help out with the countries like Jordan, which has seen its total population increase from 5.5 million to 6.5 million in four years due to an influx of Iraqi refugees. I don't think this was part of the plan to stabilize the region, was it?

And this is saying nothing about our money that will end up in Syria, which has taken on about the same number of refugees. That's more than just a little ironic for the country which Yoni claims is housing all of Saddam's WMDs.

sabar
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
It's part of the grand conspiracy.

Bush blew up the WTC and ran a cruise missile into the pentagon to go to war with Iraq to get oil AND have Iraq's wealthy and educated flee to the U.S. to bolster our economy and education to plan another war into Iran.

[/sarcasm]

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
It's part of the grand conspiracy.

Bush blew up the WTC and ran a cruise missile into the pentagon to go to war with Iraq to get oil AND have Iraq's wealthy and educated flee to the U.S. to bolster our economy and education to plan another war into Iran.

[/sarcasm]

Oh Dear lord, do you know what you may have just started in this thread?

Guru of Nothing
02-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I've got space for one, maybe two, hot Iraqi babes.

I AM A PATRIOT!!!