PDA

View Full Version : Heather Burns: Notebook: Ex-Spur stays quiet on status as backup

Bruno
02-15-2007, 05:52 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021507.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.18186e0.html

Web Posted: 02/15/2007 12:21 AM CST
Heather Burns
Special to the Express-News
Staff writer Johnny Ludden contributed to this report

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — When Ben Wallace left the Detroit Pistons for the Chicago Bulls, Nazr Mohammed seemed like the perfect fit to fill the void.

But since Chris Webber arrived in Detroit from Philadelphia and took over at starting center, Mohammed has been relegated to the bench, playing in four of the previous 15 games for a total of 27 minutes.

Mohammed had the chance to re-sign with the Spurs last summer but chose the Pistons. He was injured last season, worked his way back into the Spurs' lineup but was benched during the playoffs.

"I could have stayed, but I made the decision to come here instead," said Mohammed, who played in 80 games, starting 30 for the Spurs last season.

Mohammed's numbers in Detroit are similar to those with the Spurs last season. He is averaging 6.5 points and 5.2 rebounds. He finished last season averaging 6.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

"There are no similarities to the situation there and here," said Mohammed, referring to his limited role. "It is a lot different here. We are winning. We just want to keep winning and win a championship. There is more than one way to skin a cat so I just want to go with how we are doing it now."

The Pistons are 11-3 since acquiring Webber, who was bought out by the 76ers in January. Rumors since have had the Pistons shopping center Dale Davis and Mohammed.

"I don't want to comment on that," Mohammed said. "The only things I want to talk about are the games and playing. Those are the things I can control."

Spurs starting center Francisco Elson had 12 points and a career-high 18 rebounds Wednesday. He is averaging 5.2 points and 5.0 rebounds in 18.2 minutes a game.

Mohammed said despite some inconsistency this season his former team will be fine when the postseason rolls around.

"I have watched them and when it comes right down to it they are going to be right there," he said. "They have guys in that room that know how to turn it up when playoff time comes."

Never gets old: Spurs center Tim Duncan will be playing in his ninth All-Star Game on Sunday in Las Vegas. He said it is still a thrill.

"It never gets old," Duncan said. "It's not only an honor to get to the game, but to be picked by the fans. It's special."

Visiting friends: Manu Ginobili said it is nice to see forward Carlos Delfino, who plays with him on Argentina's national team, finding a role with the Pistons.

The pair helped Argentina to the gold medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

"It was hard for him to make such a big change, moving here from Europe and not being able to play," said Ginobili, who had 20 points Wednesday. "Now he's in the rotation and he's an important piece, he's in a totally different mood."

Ginobili said it is fun to work against Delfino, who scored two point for the Pistons off the bench.

"We have played against each other so much, we know each other's game very well," he said. "It's just great to see each other on the court and realize we are making steps to be more important players on our teams."

Bad timing: Pistons coach Flip Saunders said this isn't the best time for the All-Star break.

"When you are playing pretty well, you would rather not (have a break)," he said. "But you also have to look down the road a little and realize that with 30 games left you need a little bit of a breather."

Popovich staying pat: After the Spurs acquired Melvin Ely on Tuesday, coach Gregg Popovich was asked if the team might make another trade before next Thursday's deadline.

"No," Popovich said. "We're a veritable juggernaut now. Why would I want to change that?"

foodie2
02-15-2007, 06:54 AM
"No," Popovich said. "We're a veritable juggernaut now. Why would I want to change that?"

:lol Pop cracks me up.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2007, 07:50 AM
wheres the link to that juggernaut clip on youtube

so pop thinks his the juggernaut bitch......

Dave McNulla
02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
first, good move by nazr. i know he took some heat for his end of season comment "glad to be out of here" or something like that, but he's classy for the most part.

second, why isn't oberto mentioned in the whole argentina gold medal section. wasn't he on the team too?

third, i couldn't get tickets to the game, but i'll be seeing tim and tony at the all-star practice. i think i'll bring my good black and white hat and wear that.

Duncanoypi
02-15-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021507.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.18186e0.html

"There are no similarities to the situation there and here," said Mohammed, referring to his limited role. "It is a lot different here. We are winning. We just want to keep winning and win a championship. There is more than one way to skin a cat so I just want to go with how we are doing it now."

so nazr?....San Antonio is not winning?...

MoSpur
02-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Pop cracks me up as well. He can be a jerk when he is sarcastic like that, but a lot of times its hilarious.