View Full Version : UFC 70 in Manchester, England - April 21st

LEONARD
02-15-2007, 09:44 AM
UFC 70: APRIL 21, 2007 IN MANCHESTER, ENGLAND AT M.E.N. ARENA

-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 HW) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki

-Andrei Arlovski (#6 HW) vs. TBA
-Tito Ortiz (#8 LHW) vs. TBA (possibly Forrest Griffin)
-Forrest Griffin vs. TBA (possibly Tito Ortiz)
-Dennis Siver vs. TBA
-David Lee vs. TBA
-Cheick Kongo vs. TBA
-Abdul Mohamed vs. TBA
-Jess Liaudin vs. TBA

Disappointing that they're not putting CC up against another striker like Kongo...Gonzaga will get rolled (so would Kongo but I'd rather see that matchup).

and Bisping vs Sinosic??? WTF?? Talk about feeding Bisping a can. Looks like he gets the Forrest Griffin route...

Another rumor AA vs Werdum :eek: I'd love to see that fight...Werdum would be a great HW signing for the UFC...

LEONARD
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
CC's reaction to the matchup...

"Never heard of him. But if UFC thinks he's an ideal opponent for me, I have no problem with that. I don't get to choose who I'll fight, and I have no reason to complain why my road to the title will be easier that I thought."

From www.jutarnji.hr

:lol

Rip-Hamilton32
02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
"Never heard of him. But if UFC thinks he's an ideal opponent for me, I have no problem with that. I don't get to choose who I'll fight, and I have no reason to complain why my road to the title will be easier that I thought."

:lol

cornbread
02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Werdum to UFC?!

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=3314

WERDUM-ARLOVSKI, GRIFFIN-MACHIDA OFFICIAL FOR APRIL 21 UK UFC

By John Lister

MANCHESTER, England, Feb 23---Fabricio Werdum was today announced as the latest PRIDE fighter to jump to the Ultimate Fighting Championship – and Dana White warned “I’m not done yet.”

The announcement came at a press conference to formally introduce the Las Vegas-based promotion’s April 21 event in Manchester, England, at which Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Werdum (9-2-1) will fight former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski (10-5). The show, set for the Manchester Evening News Arena, will feature Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-4-2) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (7-1) in the headline slot, with Clitheroe native Michael Bisping (12-0) vs. Elvis Sinosic (8-9-2) and Forrest Griffin (13-4) vs. Ryoto Machida (9-0) also signed. Dana White confirmed that should Cro Cop defeat Gonzaga, he will receive a heavyweight title match against either Tim Sylvia or Randy Couture, who fight at March 3’s UFC in Columbus, Ohio.

White said the Werdum signing had only just been finalized. “PRIDE is in deep trouble. We’ve snatched away half their guys and I’m not done yet.” He dismissed another promotional rival more succinctly: “IFL sucks.”

Marshall Zelaznik, President of UFC’s UK division, told a crowd of around 30 media representatives that the promotion was in Europe for good. “I’ve relocated my family here and bought a house. We’re not going anywhere. Unlike the NFL, we don’t have to rekindle interest in our sport in Europe – the interest is already here.”

The promotion will hold between four and six shows a year in Europe, with Zelaznik already exploring smaller venues for future editions of the UFC’s successful “Fight Night” editions, currently running in the U.S. on Spike TV.

Zelaznik also announced two European television deals. The existing contract with Bravo to carry U.S. PPV events on a one-day delay, as well as broadcasting “The Ultimate Fighter” and “UFC Unleashed,” is to be extended. Meanwhile all events held in the UK will be broadcast live on the Setanta pay-per-view network for £14.95 (approximately $30).

According to White, who was clad in a t-shirt bearing the UK flag, British fighters will be an important part of the European expansion. “I’ve been blown away by the growth of UK talent since we last came here in 2002. Wherever the money is, that’s where the talented people go. Young kids who would have gone into boxing will now go into mixed martial arts.”

Although the Manchester event does not require official sanctioning, White said the show would follow Nevada State Athletic Commission guidelines, as well as meeting the medical and safety standards of the British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates boxing in the UK. Having visited the training camp of boxer Ricky Hatton yesterday, White says he feels the two sports can co-exist. “Except for some promoters I’ve fought with, the boxing community has welcomed us. Boxing is big here and in Europe, and it should be big in the US - but Don King and Bob Arum have done nothing to secure the sport’s future.”

According to MEN Arena manager John Knight, the arena will initially be set up for a capacity of 13,700, though extra seats may be made available if the event sells out. Tickets for April 21’s event are listed at £25-£250 ($50-500.) White said he was “praying for a sellout” and admitted that 2002’s UFC 38, held at the much smaller Royal Albert Hall in London, “murdered us financially. Running that show was a mistake.”

White expressed similar sentiments about the boxing match with Tito Ortiz, which he said would take place on March 24. “I wish I’d never said yes. I’m too old and too comfortable to be eating and working out the way I am [for this fight].”

POSTED -- 02/23/07

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Yep...Werdum will derail any plans that AA has of getting another title shot. Big signing for the UFC :fro

and Machida will end what Forrest hype is left...

Mr Dio
02-23-2007, 10:35 PM
And the jap league continues to bleed. :lol
'Bout time he got out of that bush league. Was so funny that he kicked the shit outta that "cool breeze" and stopped anymore kiddie nonsense about a "reaper" ruling the UFC HW div. :lol

LEONARD
02-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Werdum to UFC?!

I'm so confused...the UFC is going after all these top fighters (supposedly)...Dana has said "I want them all"...but why downgrade your talent with fighters from a "bush league"?? :lol

And if he really thinks these guys are so good, then all of his champs won't be champs anymore and his TUF "stars" will become undercard and WEC fighters. Seems like it could cause a big portion of the UFC Spike audience to lose interest....

I'll do some more research to see if I can figure out why this is happening... :dizzy

dallaskd
02-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Tito-Forrest 2 would be awesome. Griffin got robbed in the first decision.

Mr Dio
02-26-2007, 09:26 PM
What did an ex-UFCer do to the #1 LW All Universe Once in a Lifetime jap on Sat?
Made that BITCH TAP!!!!!! :owned

Looks like the 'TARD needs to research these fighters from the UFC that can't beat the World's #1 LW.
Oops!, EX #1!!!! :lol :lol :lol
:lmao

LEONARD
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM

Tito - Forrest 2 doesn't appear to be happening at UFC 70 now...Forrest will lose to Machida instead...

and Forrest was NOT robbed in that decision...seriously. :lol

He took a beating early on and fought back nicely, but in no way could you say he won. People got caught up in him being the underdog and/or hating Tito. He made it closer than most expected, but he didn't win.

Here's a breakdown of the fight...
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365651

and a poll...
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365406

The only debate in this fight is whether Tito took the first round 10-9 or 10-8...

cornbread
03-09-2007, 01:44 AM
The RUMORS are flying. Word on the streets is that 70 will be shown on Spike. I don't know how reliable this source is though. So if it turns out to be shite don't bust my chops Dio!

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=18877

"--Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO."

mardigan
03-09-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm so confused...the UFC is going after all these top fighters (supposedly)...Dana has said "I want them all"...but why downgrade your talent with fighters from a "bush league"?? :lol

And if he really thinks these guys are so good, then all of his champs won't be champs anymore and his TUF "stars" will become undercard and WEC fighters. Seems like it could cause a big portion of the UFC Spike audience to lose interest....

I'll do some more research to see if I can figure out why this is happening... :dizzy

It has just as much to do with putting your oposition down, I would think. Maybe he does think they have some inferior fighters, but if you rob your rivals of their stars, it doesnt leave them with many alternatives

LEONARD
03-09-2007, 08:50 AM
"--Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO."

That's pretty sweet! I don't have HBO...

and you can trust Dave Meltzer's info...he's on of the best sources out there even though he's mostly know for wrestling stuff.

It has just as much to do with putting your oposition down, I would think. Maybe he does think they have some inferior fighters, but if you rob your rivals of their stars, it doesnt leave them with many alternatives

You missed my sarcasm :lol

IX_Equilibrium
03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
It will be on in the middle of the day here if it starts 8PM UK time.

LEONARD
03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Yep, 2:00 or so on a Saturday afternoon...works for me :fro

or they could delay it to Sat night...which would be fine too. Just have to stay off the net during the day to keep from getting spoiled...

-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 HW) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Andrei Arlovski (#7 HW) vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 HW)
-Ryoto Machida vs. Forrest Griffin
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo
-Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin
-Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
-David Lee vs. TBA

Man...that would be a bad-ass free card. I can't wait for AA - Werdum...

mardigan
03-09-2007, 04:33 PM
That's pretty sweet! I don't have HBO...

and you can trust Dave Meltzer's info...he's on of the best sources out there even though he's mostly know for wrestling stuff.

You missed my sarcasm :lol

Yea I did

Mr Dio
03-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Hmmm, a jealous kid has me on ignore but uses my quotes? :lol
Daddy bunched yours up again I see. :smokin

Diaz, ex-UFC'er beat a #1 Ranked World Champ????
How can that be if there is a difference of "lights years" between that guy from Nipponville and "everyone else?" :dizzy :lol

sa_butta
03-11-2007, 02:43 PM
The RUMORS are flying. Word on the streets is that 70 will be shown on Spike. I don't know how reliable this source is though. So if it turns out to be shite don't bust my chops Dio!

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=18877

"--Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO."I would be surprised if this was not a PPV event, but I would by no means object.

mardigan
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I would be surprised if this was not a PPV event, but I would by no means object.

Its already been confirmed that it will be a free event

sa_butta
03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Its already been confirmed that it will be a free eventI forgot about the time difference, but this will be a good one.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.home&eid=472

Still shows PPV.

Rip-Hamilton32
03-11-2007, 04:48 PM

i agree with you and i already said that to leo forrest stopped all his take downs and out striked him

dallaskd
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
i agree with you and i already said that to leo forrest stopped all his take downs and out striked him

he out striked him but tito got that last takedown and had some good slams and pounded forrest in mount a couple times but for the most part it was forrests.

mardigan
03-11-2007, 08:05 PM

desflood
03-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Good. Now the only ppv I have to buy in April is the Bodog. NEVER pass up a chance to watch an Emelianenko.

And I was cheering hard for Forrest, but Tito won that fight by nearly a mile.

LEONARD
03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I forgot about the time difference, but this will be a good one.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.home&eid=472

Still shows PPV.

The last source you should refer to for CURRENT info is UFC.com.

The event will be free, most likely on Spike...
http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/03/09/report-ufc-70-most-likely-to-appear-on-spike-tv/

Wow...um, maybe rewatch the fight??? :lol

The scoring by the judges was odd, but Tito won the 3rd round...and could've been given a 10-8 for the first round. Best case for Forrest was given the 3rd round...

I've seen a punch by punch breakdown of the 3rd round and Tito landed more and got a takedown. People get overly excited about Forrest and his wild sloppy punches. Machida will take him out next...

but for the most part it was forrests.

:dizzy

Good. Now the only ppv I have to buy in April is the Bodog. NEVER pass up a chance to watch an Emelianenko.

And I was cheering hard for Forrest, but Tito won that fight by nearly a mile.

Definitely don't miss the Bodog PPV...

and thank you for posting something intelligent about Tito vs Forrest. People got so caught up in the Forrest hype and his comeback from a round one beating that they thought he won :lol

Rip-Hamilton32
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
forrest hype? what about tito hype everyone thought he could beat chuck but it never happend and that he was in better shape then he has been in, if he went the distance with forrest did he really think he could handle chuck

LEONARD
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
forrest hype? what about tito hype everyone thought he could beat chuck but it never happend and that he was in better shape then he has been in, if he went the distance with forrest did he really think he could handle chuck

MMAmath = failed

Yes, Forrest HYPE.

Tito is HIGHLY over-rated...but Forrest is even more-so. Tito wasn't even close to 100% healthy when he beat Forrest... (knee)

The Tito-Forrest fight result has been debated into the ground, but every poll I've ever seen has Tito as the winner...usually about 2/3 of the vote. I wish I could find the detailed breakdown of the fight that I've seen before...

Rip-Hamilton32
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
there should be Tito vs Forrest 2 just because both guys are coming off loses and the last fight was entertaining

LEONARD
03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
there should be Tito vs Forrest 2 just because both guys are coming off loses and the last fight was entertaining

It was rumor'd at UFC 70 but they moved Tito to 71 and mactched up Forrest with Machida...

cornbread
03-15-2007, 01:11 AM
God damn it. Who forgot to clean the mats???

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6989

Forrest Griffin (Pictures), The Ultimate Fighter season one light heavyweight winner, has been forced to withdraw from his bout with Ryoto Machida (Pictures) at UFC 70 with a severe staph infection in his knee, the Las Vegas-based promoter announced Wednesday on its official Web site.

Zuffa is expected to announce a replacement for Griffin, who was scheduled to face Ryoto Machida (Pictures) in Manchester, England on April 21.

mardigan
03-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Gross

LEONARD
03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
That sucks...I was really looking fwd to Griffin - Machida!!! :madrun