PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car.

nickbroken
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey guys I could use some advice. I'm going to buy an 07 Jetta and plan on paying for it cash whole, but I could use some advice on getting the price down. I think for the car I want it's $17kish and was wondering if anyone had a general idea of how much I could get the price down and how to go about that?

Lady Marmalade
02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey guys I could use some advice. I'm going to buy an 07 Jetta and plan on paying for it cash whole, but I could use some advice on getting the price down. I think for the car I want it's $17kish and was wondering if anyone had a general idea of how much I could get the price down and how to go about that?

I heard that if you are paying cash for the whole it's a lot less expensive. Online they might have a calculater or something.. I know it does help with the price. I am not a carsaleslady or I'd def. be trying to sale you the car!!! :) That is what I want to do save for a car and pay for it out right. Problem is I never end up saving money. Where does all my money go? I have no idea!!!!!!!!

johngateswhiteley
02-15-2007, 03:44 PM

just be straight up with them and prepared to walk. you'll get their best price when they know you'll walk away...its not hard. most people just feel uncomfortable being assertive...

MoSpur
02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Do not give into them. You are the one with the control. They are going to ask you, "how do you plan on paying the vehicle?" Tell them you first want to know what the lowest price is on the vehicle you want. If the price they give you is more than what you're willing to pay, ask them again if that is the lowest they can go. If they say yes, then tell them you are going to shop around. Don't tell them you are paying cash. Don't tell them how much you have because then they know how much they have to work with.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Don't tell them you're buying it outright. A lot of dealerships will cut the price if they think they'll make it up in the back end.

Use multiple dealerships against each other. The more quotes the better.

Research the car online before you go in.

Vizzini
02-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I have a friend who sells used cars, the threat of a walk away does have some clout, but don't use it to sour the dealership. Be assertive, but be nice. Use the threat, but use it wisely, don't Costanza it with one foot out the door, yelling the whole time. Hold your own and become informed. Do some research and ask the salesperson questions specifically related to that car. Telling them about paying cash might not be so wise, but my friend tells me it is harder to say no to someone flashing the greenbacks in their face.

AlamoSpursFan
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
You might also mention that your favorite movie is Cadillac Man...

:lol

Vizzini
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Also, come up with a figure that you want to pay, and casually drop the info into the conversation. It gives them something to work with, and will tell you if you have any chance of paying what you want.

ORION
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
get a serious look on your face and ask the sales person " so whats the trunk space ? 3 maybe 4 dead hookers .....and 1 car saleman?" then act like someone is next to you and say " yes we have time to get to the ceremony"

PakiDan
02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
So - did you: 1. Have a family member die and leave you a big insurance payoff, or 2. rob a Cuban coke dealer of 3 kilos and load it off to the Mexican Mafia?

nickbroken
02-15-2007, 05:23 PM
So - did you: 1. Have a family member die and leave you a big insurance payoff, or 2. rob a Cuban coke dealer of 3 kilos and load it off to the Mexican Mafia?

Other. :smokin

PM5K
02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
What's the Blue Book/NADA for it?

nickbroken
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
What's the Blue Book/NADA for it?

Like 18-19k dunno looking at hella cars atm, looking to spend maybe 30k maybe 35k max, but want to pay all in cash.

nickbroken
02-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Ya I didn't plan on saying anything cash related I just want to try to get the best price I can.

PakiDan
02-15-2007, 07:07 PM
When you find a car, I'll negotiate a better price for you if you half the savings with me. I'll save you some big $$$.

nickbroken
02-15-2007, 07:08 PM
When you find a car, I'll negotiate a better price for you if you half the savings with me. I'll save you some big $$$.

Sure you live in Vegas?

CharlieMac
02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Just tell the dealer "Straight cash homey"

Clandestino
02-15-2007, 09:12 PM
bullshit... just walk in, say i'm buying a car today. what is the price you're going to give me on this car. i want an exact price with all the shit already computed. i may be back after shopping around. shop around to several places and then just call the ones you have on the short list. then you can haggle over the phone. as long as they know you're serious, they will put up with it. remember a car sold, is a car sold. biggest thing is, let them know you are buying, but not at this instant.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Vegas?

You should go see Chop.

Clandestino
02-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Vegas?

You should go see Chop.

haha..no shit, buy from the blue genie!

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-15-2007, 09:30 PM
haha..no shit, buy from the blue genie!

No way...the Blue Genie is the Trainwreck of car selling.

Nick should buy from Chilly Willy.

Billy Cobham
02-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Buy it on eBay.

E20
02-15-2007, 11:48 PM
This isn't gonna help you, but buy a BMW or an Audi or something.

Extra Stout
02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
A guy driving a Jetta is 99% of the time is gay. What the hell are you thinking? There are so many sick cars out there that are in that price range. Maybe it is just a Cali thing, I don't know.
The other 1% are striaght musicians, so he's OK in that regard.

I suppose if somebody has the $$$ to buy a VW with cash, he also has the money to pay for all the repairs. The problems with VW's are thus:

1) Everything breaks on the ones built in Puebla;
2) Only Germans know how to fix them;
3) The people at the service department here are not Germans, so they have no freaking clue how to fix a VW;
4) These same non-German people at the service department charge obscene prices for their lack of expertise.

ObiwanGinobili
02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Do not give into them. You are the one with the control. They are going to ask you, "how do you plan on paying the vehicle?" Tell them you first want to know what the lowest price is on the vehicle you want. If the price they give you is more than what you're willing to pay, ask them again if that is the lowest they can go. If they say yes, then tell them you are going to shop around. Don't tell them you are paying cash. Don't tell them how much you have because then they know how much they have to work with.

excellent advice.
Also -the car is not 'sold' untill all the paperwork is SIGNED, doesn;t matter how much time they put into writing it up or how many handshakes have been given.
When they write it up look over it carefully - make sure there is not bullshit on there like "ETCH" or dealer installed crap like "sealer, undercoating" blah blha blah.
The onl,y thing you should be paying for outside of your factory instaleld options and the dealer mark up is Delivery and Advertising. And these should be line items. Even employees purchasing thier cars at Cost have to pay for D&A. All together those 2 items should be no more than $2K.

50 cent
02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
A guy driving a Jetta is 99% of the time is gay. What the hell are you thinking? There are so many sick cars out there that are in that price range. Maybe it is just a Cali thing, I don't know.
I agree. Get something better than a Jetta dude.

nickbroken
02-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Ya thinking of not getting a Jetta I don't like the 07 bodies anyways, thinking Dodge Charger, or a Ford f150

nickbroken
02-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Shaddup, I should beat your ass at GoW.