PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter Recall!

1Parker1
02-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I ate this shit!!!!!!!!

Salmonella in Cook County tied to peanut butter

By Jason Meisner
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 15, 2007, 4:57 PM CST

Cook County health officials have confirmed that one person sickened by salmonella this week in the suburbs was part of a nationwide outbreak of the illness traced to certain brands of peanut butter.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

The food company has told consumers to discard certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter with a product code beginning ``2111'' on the lid.

The Cook County Department of Public Health today confirmed in a news release that five cases have been confirmed in Illinois, including one this week in suburban Cook County. Further details of those cases were not released.

The CCDPH "has fielded a number of calls from concerned residents and will investigate any further illness that may be linked to consumption of these products," according to a statement in the release.

"Not all peanut butters are part of the FDA recall," said Dr. Stephen A. Martin Jr., chief operating officer of the county health department. "Look at the lid of the jar and check the coding. If the number 2111 appears and it is Peter Pan or Great Value, make sure that you discard the product immediately."

Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection, according to the release. The particular strain in the peanut butter outbreak may cause urinary tract infections without diarrhea.

The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment. In some persons the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized.

"The elderly, infants and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness," the health department said in the release.

"Residents who may have eaten the food in question, and are experiencing symptoms of illness, should see their physicians and then call the CCDPH Communicable Disease Control Unit at 708-492-2150," the release states.

About 20 percent of the ill nationwide were hospitalized, and there were no deaths, Lynch said. About 85 percent of the infected people said they ate peanut butter, CDC officials said.

How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first stemming from peanut butter.

ConAgra officials said it was unsure why the CDC identified peanut butter as the source of the problem. Its own tests of its peanut butter and the plant have been negative, but it shut down the plant so it can investigate, spokesman Chris Kircher said.

``We're trying to understand what else we need to do or should be doing,'' he said. ``We want to do what's right by the consumer.''

ConAgra officials haven't said how much peanut butter is covered in the recall. The Peter Pan brand is sold in 10 varieties, according to ConAgra's Web site. The Great Value brand, which is also made by other companies, is a Wal-Mart brand.

He said the CDC contacted the Food and Drug Administration, which sent investigators to the Georgia plant to review records, collect product samples and conduct tests for salmonella.

Kircher said ConAgra makes peanut butter only at the Sylvester plant, for distribution nationwide. ConAgra randomly tests 60 to 80 jars of peanut butter that come off the line each day for salmonella and other pathogens, he said.

``We've had no positive hits on that going back for years,'' Kircher said.

The plant itself is also regularly tested, he said, though he didn't know how often. He said none of those tests has detected salmonella either.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

I came home and checked the lid on mines, and it was a 2111...I've eaten almost half the jar too. My freakin stomach has been killing me for the past 2 weeks or so, but I assumed it was just PMS. Make sure you guys check out your PB jars! :pctoss

Burn531
02-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I only buy JIF. Sucks for everyone else.

1Parker1
02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Fuck it, I'm writing these bitches a letter....they better be willing to not only refund me my money for the peanut butter......but also my damn CO PAY since I'll now have to go to the doctors. :pctoss

Sonia_TX
02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I had it too and had less than a fourth of the jar left.

1Parker1
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
^Did you go to the Doctor.

return the lid?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
LOL our secretary ate that shit and was home for 3 days with massive watery diarrehea

CharlieMac
02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I knew I stopped eating PB a few years ago for some reason.

ashbeeigh
02-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I ate this shit!!!!!!!!

I came home and checked the lid on mines, and it was a 2111...I've eaten almost half the jar too. My freakin stomach has been killing me for the past 2 weeks or so, but I assumed it was just PMS. Make sure you guys check out your PB jars! :pctoss

Watching Looking For Alibrandi, it'll make you feel better! :D

Sonia_TX
02-15-2007, 10:17 PM
^Did you go to the Doctor.

return the lid?

I didn't have any pains or anything... I had the PMS! lol

and I was thinking of returning the lid for a refund but sending it will cost money anyway...not sure if they're refunding postage too. I already tossed it though so I am not going to dig through the trash.

ZStomp
02-15-2007, 10:20 PM
http://natedillon.com/blog/files/2005/11/family_guy_peanut_butter.jpg

timvp
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.americanfoodworldwide.com/i/Food%20Pics/jif.jpg
The One and Only.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-15-2007, 10:44 PM
http://www.americanfoodworldwide.com/i/Food%20Pics/jif.jpg
The One and Only.

Choosy mods choose Jif.

TheMrPeanut
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
That freakin' Peter Pan! :cuss

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_peanut_butter.htm

It's the only one for me. :spin

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I looked in my pantry, and sure enough we had 2111, luckily we hadn't eaten any of it yet.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_peanut_butter.htm

It's the only one for me. :spin

I think you just made LJ throw up.

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
i just looked at our peanut butter -- it's a 2111...but we're not going to throw it out because we've eaten 90% of it with no problems.... pussies

Keep the empty jar when you are done with it, then take it to the store and say you dumped it when you found about the contamination. That way, free peanut butter.

Billy Cobham
02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
A little diarrhea never hurt nobody.

NorCal510
02-15-2007, 11:35 PM
first off, who eats peter pan/great value peanut butter?

secondly, eat more peanut butter!

E20
02-15-2007, 11:49 PM
I like Nutella cause Kobe Byrant endorsed it. :lol

Guru of Nothing
02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first stemming from peanut butter.

I'll hazard a guess. It's our collective addiction to cheap shit that brought this about - Ipods and peanut butter for everyone!

Diarrhea is just a cost of doing business. Indignation will get you nowhere; accept it and move on.