PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Willis plays around with Spurs as former teammates reunite

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Willis plays around with Spurs as former teammates reunite
Web Posted: 11/14/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111404.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.54b0e10e.html

ATLANTA — Former Spurs center Kevin Willis is back where he began his NBA career.

More than 20 years ago.

After spending the previous two seasons with the Spurs, Willis signed with the Atlanta Hawks, who took him with the 11th overall pick in the 1984 draft.

Willis, extremely popular among players and fans alike during his stay with the Spurs, greeted his former teammates warmly Saturday night.

When Tim Duncan saw Willis joking with Devin Brown prior to the game, he pointed at Brown and said, "Now, don't you hurt him." Willis nearly knocked Brown out of the playoffs last season when he injured his ribs while the two were wrestling in the locker room.

"Those were just great guys," Willis said of the Spurs. "When you're with a team like that that wins a championship it puts you on a different pedestal. And the fans there were just fantastic."

Willis, the league's oldest active player at 42, had hoped to re-sign with the Spurs, but team officials wanted to give some of their younger players, like Sean Marks, the opportunity to earn minutes. With Shaquille O'Neal moving to the Eastern Conference, they also believed they could get by with one less 7-footer.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich "always said if I wanted to come back, he would surely sign me," Willis said. "But as the summer went on, things change and I understand that."

Willis said he would have retired had his hometown Hawks not wanted to sign him. Atlanta also has promised him a front-office job when he retires.

Whenever that is.

"Surely," Willis said, "I can go another year."

Moving up: Tim Duncan's 26 points Saturday gave him 12,001 for his career. He reached the 12,000 mark in 526 games. Shaquille O'Neal (443) and Allen Iverson (446) are the only active players to reach it faster.

Mark in Austin
11-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Willis, the league's oldest active player at 42, had hoped to re-sign with the Spurs, but team officials wanted to give some of their younger players, like Sean Marks, the opportunity to earn minutes. With Shaquille O'Neal moving to the Eastern Conference, they also believed they could get by with one less 7-footer.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich "always said if I wanted to come back, he would surely sign me," Willis said. "But as the summer went on, things change and I understand that."

Hmmmm... a couple of us were wondering what really happened with Willis this summer. I guess we've got our answer now.

Hook Dem
11-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Willis is a classy guy and others in the NBA should pay attention. Hope he succeeds in whatever he should do.

maxpower
11-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Willis is so "old school"...When "old school" was new school, he was still "old school".

ChumpDumper
11-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Maybe what might have happened was Massenburg showed interest and the Spurs figured he might be the crusty vet for the next four years instead of Willis for one.

Idle speculation.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
11-14-2004, 02:36 PM
I was bummed when I found out Willis went back to the ATL, he is one of the good guys who will knock your head off if he has too. Im with you Hook Dem wishing Willis much success with the Hawks whether it be on the court or in the front office.