PDA

View Full Version : Pippen Considering NBA Comeback?

JPB
02-16-2007, 07:16 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44734/20070216/pippen_considering_nba_comeback/

Pippen Considering NBA Comeback?
16th February, 2007 - 7:09 am
Chicago Tribune -
Scottie Pippen is seriously considering a comeback and hopes to play for a contending team in this season's playoffs, the Chicago Tribune's Sam Smith is reporting.

Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years.

Pippen will give an indication of where he is physically when he teams with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree in the "Shooting Stars" contest part as part of Saturday night's All-Star festivities.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen last played for the Bulls in the 2003-04 season, when knee problems limited him to 23 games. He said he's considering the right situation and plans to talk to some teams and players during the weekend.

"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.

"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.

"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."

Would you sign him ?

Texas_Ranger
02-16-2007, 07:22 AM
If anyone will sign him itwill be the Spurs. Why? Because they need a 41 year old player.
They don't've got a lot of old guys in the team, so Pippen would fit perfectlly in our system.

JPB
02-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Just for a playoff run... no money issues... if Spurs can't make a trade... the guy want to play 15 mn... Don't know.

ArgSpursFan
02-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I used to love watching Pippen and the Jordanīs Bulls back in the 90īs,but I donīt know how much better or worst tham Finley he can be at 41.considering that Finley sucks most of the time at 35.

JPB
02-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Pippen had (has ?) point skills...

Problem is HE is saying that he's in great shape but what credit can you give to that ? He can sincerely feel that but not really be able to play.

Dont't know.

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2007, 08:23 AM
he suckd when he was in portland, and even in houston...i say we stay away from him, we got ourselves an ageing bench already, we dont need to add another one. wouldnt we have to cut sumone....:(

AFBlue
02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
wouldnt we have to cut sumone....:(

Yeah, unless the Spurs managed a 2 for 1 deal before the deadline...

Hypothetical:

Spurs trade Beno + Oberto for Atkins

Sign Pippen

Fill backup PG role and long 3/small ball 4 role before playoffs....doubt it happens though.

SenorSpur
02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Please!

BrianBird
02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Screw Pippen
Whats Larry Legend up to these days? Trade Barry and bring in the Birdman :drunk

50 cent
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Fuck Pippen. There is no way he can get into game playing shape and into a rhythm in 2 months. He would do more harm than good. :td

MoSpur
02-16-2007, 10:07 AM
No way. He isn't going to get into game shape and would not learn the system in a couple of months. In his prime, he would have been great to guard Dirk.

Spurminator
02-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd at least give him a look. Why not? We are, after all, pretty desperate at the SF spot...

LEONARD
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Pippen would lower the avg age of the Spurs, so I say go for it...

Duncanoypi
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Trade Barry and bring in the Birdman :drunk

the birdman is on drugs right now.... :lol

ALVAREZ6
02-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Pippen would lower the avg age of the Spurs, so I say go for it...
:lol

Duncanoypi
02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Is iceman available?

BrianBird
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Add in the fact that Pippen is plain ole disgusting to look at, and there are no positives whatsoever. Keep your Michael Jordan coattail riding legacy in tact for god's sake.

How does he realistically think he is going to learn someone'es offense, get in game shape, and find his way into a rotation? I mean sure the guy's a future HOF'er but he's damn near prehistoric. Gotta appreciate his love for the game but man, give it up.

mrose31
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Could this be because he heard if an active nba player came out and said he was gay he could get a lot of money. I doubt Pippen needs the money but there were stories a few years ago about him being gay. Could have just been rumors. :greedy

GrandeDavid
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Well, I did see Rocky Balboa the other day, so I guess anything's possible. :lol

Solid D
02-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Scottie was all about rhythm when he played. After you turn 40, your reaction time and fluidity of your game normally suffers.

He must be low on money, or attention.

silk
02-16-2007, 10:43 AM
sure spurs are an old team and it is somewhat easy to say pipper 41 and make some bad jokes about that I'm not sayin we must absolutely sign him but why not at least give the guy a work out. He would not be with us for years just for theses play-off and you know team has some hole. As a defensive forward for 10_15minute he could be useful. But i don't know if he would see even that playin time and as most of you already see i would'nt want him to take a spot we could use on a younger guy... beside i used to like this guy even more than jordan..

ArgSpursFan
02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Scottie was all about rhythm when he played. After you turn 40, your reaction time and fluidity of your game normally suffers.

He must be low on money, or attention.

I would say a few years earlier(at 35)

PM5K
02-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Funny thing is, he could probably be pretty decent even at his age, and still better than a lot of other guys in the league, Jordan could probably still put up 20 points a game, but nobody wants someone that old on their team, it's just not worth the possible upside...

tlongII
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
If I were the Spurs I would give him a look. Contrary to what TDMPVDPOY said above he was terrific when he was in Portland. He's got 5% body fat which is actually lower than when he played. The guy is a workout maniac and if his knee can hold up for 15 mins a game you would be crazy not to sign him. This is the only way the Spurs would have a realistic shot at the title this season imo.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
The Spurs shouldn't sign him, but it wouldn't be shocking if he could do everything better than Michael Finley except shoot.

regio
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I dont know Dikembe Mutombo continues to play pretty good and he is 40. But the again Pippen could be the second coming of Nick the not so quick

silk
02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
if spurs refused to go after webber due to age reasons...you have to wonder if they would go after pippen..

tlongII
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't see any risk to the Spurs here. Scottie has plenty of money. I think he just wants the thrill of playing in the playoffs again. There is little risk with the possibility of a huge return in signing him.

BeerIsGood!
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
The Spurs shouldn't sign him, but it wouldn't be shocking if he could do everything better than Michael Finley except shoot.

The way Finley's shooting I wouldn't be so sure. I can't see a contending team making room for him by cutting someone on their current roster, but an injury here or there might just open someone up to him in the last couple of months of the season.

T Park
02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Id give him a try out and see how he looks.

If he looks good, can run well, and isn't horribly slow, give hima shot.

The guy was a hell of a defender.

steppy
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Forgive my ignorance but isn't the roster full? And if so, who goes?

JPB
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
That's a problem. Will he accept to work out ? After the carrer he had...
And if yes, for how many teams ? 2,3,4 ?

L.I.T
02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
For some reason this thread reminds me of the dark days of '96. Bring on the Iceman! He can score a couple of points a game!

boutons_
02-16-2007, 11:53 AM
A lean motivated Pippen has more chance of helping than a fat Malik.

yep, the Spurs signing Scottie reeks of desperation.

nkdlunch
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
is this a joke?

Pippen might be in good shape, but my granma is in good shape too, so what? he's finished. Even Finley would beat Pippen in 1-1

steppy
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds too risky and like others have stated, desperate. He hasn't played in how long?

Fabbs
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Physically i think he could do it. Karl Malone was still a factor at 40.
Mentally Pippen is a midget.
MJ and Phil Jackson reigned him in. At Houston and Portland he was too much of a ballhog pouter.

If Pippen would play team ball I would say sure, give him a try. But since Popavich sits on his ass and lets Finley eternally bricklay he would probably do the same with Pippen.
Popavich is the wrong coach to enforce team ball.

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
:lol Like the Spurs need another member to their current nursing home.

VaSpursFan
02-16-2007, 01:12 PM
is this real??? pippen is delusional...on second thought, can he rebound? :lol :lol

T Park
02-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Popavich is the wrong coach to enforce team ball.

first off, spell his name right dickweed.

Second off, how the fuck do you think they won championships?

TEAM BALL.

Get a fucking clue.

Fabbs
02-16-2007, 01:29 PM
first off, spell his name right dickweed.

Second off, how the fuck do you think they won championships?

TEAM BALL.

Get a fucking clue.
By ignoring Popavich and sharing the ball.
Keep asking for clues, I'm glad to share.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
the birdman is on drugs right now.... :lol

That's perfect. Keep him strung out on meth and he will be able to provide the extra energy we need coming off of the bench.

kris
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
He sounds as if he already sent his resume to the Spurs. Sign him up right now. He can provide so much and he's already better than Jaque Vaughn or Beno.

Pippen could save this team.

Solid D
02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
This is about one thing. Pippen's 2 year/$5M with the Bulls that remained when he retired in '04 has been spent.

Gros Membres!
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
If he can bring the ball up the courst without turning it over and hit an open jumpshot, buy out Beno and sign Pippen. It's insane but I kind of love it.

SsKSpurs21
02-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I say it doesnt hurt to give the guy a try out.

think about it. if he can play decent enough defense, he would be nice to have during a dallas series where we need players to guard Dirk and Howard.

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I say it doesnt hurt to give the guy a try out.

think about it. if he can play decent enough defense, he would be nice to have during a dallas series where we need players to guard Dirk and Howard.

He's not going to be quick enough, IMO.

kskonn
02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
That's a problem. Will he accept to work out ? After the carrer he had...
And if yes, for how many teams ? 2,3,4 ?

He actually said he would even sign a 10 day contract to prove what he could do. If the team was not convinced then they would not be obligated to anything past that. To me he is saying, "hey someone who needs a solid spot minute player sign me up for the short term let me prove myself and see if I can cut it in todays NBA." Doesn't sound risky at all, in fact to me it would be stupid not to atleast give him a look. the guy does not want a lot of minutes just wants to be on the floor to contribute for about 10 min a game in some way or another.

kskonn
02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
if spurs refused to go after webber due to age reasons...you have to wonder if they would go after pippen..

he didn't refuse to go after webber because of age, he refused because webber and Pop do not get along and frankly Pop does not like him and does not want him on the team.

lefty
02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Well, if Pip is still able to do that...

http://home.sc.rr.com/pix4sale2002/images/scottie_pippen_patrick_ewing.jpg

timvp
02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
This is about one thing. Pippen's 2 year/$5M with the Bulls that remained when he retired in '04 has been spent.

Exactly. Pippen is broke. I read a story not too long about saying that after his messy divorce, his business partner stole all the rest his money. He went from millions to nothing.

And I'm disappointed not one Spurs fan remembered this:

"A lot of people mention Bruce Bowen as a candidate, but he's not a defensive player and he's never been a defensive player. He's got a seven-footer behind him who can block shots. What's his defense? Run you at the seven-footer? You put a seven-footer like Tim Duncan behind me, who's gonna get defensive player of the year, me or Tim Duncan? The deal with Bowen is he's 6-7 and there's not many people who can shoot over a 6-7 person. He never received the Defensive Player of the Year Award when he played in Miami, did he?" --Scottie Pippen

MoSpur
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
All season long, it seems like all we hear is that we need to get younger. Pippen doesn't quite exactly get the Spurs younger.

baseline bum
02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Exactly. Pippen is broke. I read a story not too long about saying that after his messy divorce, his business partner stole all the rest his money. He went from millions to nothing.

WTF? Dude was pulling like $17M a year in his last days in Portland. If you go broke when you had that kind of money you're retarded. Maybe he could join Tyson as a man-hoe or something.

Ocotillo
02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Greg Simmons teaser on the news this evening is Pippen says he wants to come to San Antonio to play.

Kori Ellis
02-16-2007, 06:26 PM
WTF? Dude was pulling like $17M a year in his last days in Portland. If you go broke when you had that kind of money you're retarded. Maybe he could join Tyson as a man-hoe or something.

Pippen says that guy swindled him for close to $20M. In the court case, the guy was ordered to pay him back $11.8M so far.

Marcus Bryant
02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Too bad MJ bought a piece of the Bobcats...

T Park
02-16-2007, 07:34 PM
he refused because webber and Pop do not get along and frankly Pop does not like him and does not want him on the team

Wrong wrong wrong.

Udrihlooms
02-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Pippen?

What is the world coming into?

If we're really looking at someone 40+ as our saviour, then we're really doomed!

On a second thought, let's bring back the Admiral... :lmao

Udrihlooms
02-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Or better yet, why not suit up Ric Flair or Hulk Hogan in Spurs uniform?

that'll give us the body in the paint... or is Jesse Ventura still fit?

kris
02-16-2007, 11:07 PM

And I'm disappointed not one Spurs fan remembered this:

"A lot of people mention Bruce Bowen as a candidate, but he's not a defensive player and he's never been a defensive player. He's got a seven-footer behind him who can block shots. What's his defense? Run you at the seven-footer? You put a seven-footer like Tim Duncan behind me, who's gonna get defensive player of the year, me or Tim Duncan? The deal with Bowen is he's 6-7 and there's not many people who can shoot over a 6-7 person. He never received the Defensive Player of the Year Award when he played in Miami, did he?" --Scottie Pippen

If the Spurs don't want him for cap reasons, then I can go along with that. If they can afford to pay him, I don't care what he said or what his motive is.

He does three things for the Spurs if he's kept himself in shape like he says he has:

1. He brings excitement back into the Spurs organization. The Spurs are about as exciting as a 10 cent coupon on ant killer and if a championship is even thinkable (guarantee they wouldn't win it now), they need something to get them going.

2. He serves as a backup pg and a defensive presence that can spell Bowen and provide offensive fire power.

3. He's brings leadership. He's probably more of a leader than anybody on the current team and the Spurs players need someone to take charge.

The Spurs don't need him to be the great Scottie Pippen he was. If he's just a 41 year old Scottie Pippen with no flashbacks, he's still better than 1/2 the roster.

Pay the guy some money and at least give me the impression of hope the Spurs could make it to the finals.

As for what he said about Bowen, so what, he made an analysis. Do I think Bruce was DPOY - yeah, but to somebody that only watches TNT Spurs games they probably just think he's all funneling.

ducks
02-16-2007, 11:46 PM
can not be worse then beno

Udrihlooms
02-17-2007, 12:19 AM
can not be worse then beno

don't be so sure... :lmao

incidentally, who's worse, Finley or Beno? (This question will be a very controversial one...)

At least Beno doesn't Brick as much as Finley. So I'd say Udrih is better by a whisker...

lefty
02-17-2007, 02:20 AM
If a retired player could help us, it would be Reggie Miller ; just take all the outside shots Finley has missed since the season started (ok, forget about the big one in LA) and imagine if Reggie would have taken those shots instead...

Udrihlooms
02-17-2007, 02:28 AM
are we really having this discussion???

ok, why not try talking Avery out of Dallas?

AJ will solve all problems...

1. He will be our backup PG, so Udrih can be kicked out.
2. We can fire Pop, as suggested countlessly in this forum.
3. We save costs by having a player and a coach in one
4. We eliminate Dallas out of contention.

There, problem solved... Let's talk to AJ...

sabar
02-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Better than Beno.
I don't even think that can be argued. Being younger doesn't help when you have no mental focus on court. Beno even admited he gets rattled when he misses a shot and that it keeps bothering him.

BUMP
02-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Cuban better not go after him, unless its for an assistant coaching job :lol

Kermit
02-17-2007, 09:36 AM
how does a 41 year-old, retired for 4 years, ex-player with 5 percent body fat (wow :rolleyes) help this team in any way. worst idea ever. am i the only one who remembers him sucking the last three years of his career. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it!

nah, i'm just kidding. if he works out well, it's worth a shot.

ArgSpursFan
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
don't be so sure... :lmao

incidentally, who's worse, Finley or Beno? (This question will be a very controversial one...)

At least Beno doesn't Brick as much as Finley. So I'd say Udrih is better by a whisker...

And beno is cheaper tham Finley also.
Iīd say Finley is a cancer for the spurs right now,and will be next year too cause he wonīt retire and nobody wants him.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Since the active thread on this topic was closed:

Hasn't Pippen been a cancer everywhere he's ever been without Jordan? There are some guys that you have on a team for more than their basketball ability. The only thing Pip has ever had going for him is talent, and he had enough of it to counter his terrible attitude. I imagine there isn't much talent left. I think he just wants a ring. Maybe he was watching Steve Smith and Danny Ferry on the Spurs DVD.

1Parker1
02-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I doubt he'll come to the Spurs. I'm sure Pop and company aren't even going to bother going after him. IF he does make this really dumb comeback (in my opinion), he'll probably end up on the Heat or Lakers.

What a weird and unexpected comeback. Personally, I'm not sure what exactly he expects to contribute at this point in his career.

kalikot_boy_kr
02-17-2007, 07:09 PM
bring the dog man

Pugglekicker_21
02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
THe spurs love of age will force them to sign pippen and kick finley out the door

phxspurfan
02-17-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/PP__scottie_pippen.jpg

yeah we want this guy.

Bruno
02-18-2007, 06:53 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021807.11C.BKN.AllStar.rdp.168d2dc.html

Pippen places Spurs near top of comeback list

Web Posted: 02/18/2007 04:37 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News and wire report

LAS VEGAS — Scottie Pippen, the retired Chicago Bulls star who says he wants to make a comeback in the NBA in what remains of this season, on Saturday called the Spurs one of the prime targets for his return.

After competing as a Bulls "legend" in the Shooting Stars competition on All-Star Saturday, Pippen said he will focus on pursuing a comeback this week. He has not yet spoken with the Spurs or any other team.

Spurs basketball officials have yet to contact Pippen, but have not ruled out talking to him.

"I'm not closing the door on any contender," Pippen said. "Obviously the Spurs are a contender. You're talking about some of the greatest inside players in the game in (Tim) Duncan and Shaq (O'Neal). Those are the type of players I want to play with."

Spurs point guard Tony Parker, who also competed in the Shooting Stars event, used the occasion to suggest to Pippen that the Spurs would make a good destination for his comeback.

"I talked to him about that," Parker said. "We'll see what decision he finally makes.

"I think it would be great to have a player like that. Obviously, it's going to be (coach Gregg Popovich's) decision and (general manager R.C. Buford's) decision, so we'll see."

JPB
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd be curious to know what the other players think.

ducks
02-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Scottie Pippen planning NBA comeback

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
February 16, 2007

AP - Feb 16, 8:06 pm EST
More Photos

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Scottie Pippen is tired of retirement. He wants to return to the NBA for a chance to win his seventh championship ring.

With most of the league's stars and decision-makers gathering at the All-Star weekend festivities in Las Vegas, the 41-year-old Pippen announced he's hoping for a late-season return to a contending team -- preferably in a warm-weather city -- nearly 2 1/2 years after he left the league.

"I know that I have the skills," Pippen said. "I think it's sort of been on my mind the last couple of months. It's just about me going out and polishing my skills."

The forward hasn't played since his retirement on Oct. 5, 2004, following a 17-season career with Chicago, Houston and Portland. He won six titles in his famed role as Michael Jordan's wingman with the Bulls, and was part of two gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic teams.

Pippen has been working out in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., during the winter, and he believes the time is right to add his experience and defensive prowess to a contending club, perhaps in Miami or San Antonio.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is definitely a stage I can use to get the word out there," Pippen said. "I would only do this for a contender."

Pippen once was one of the NBA's most feared defenders, and his offensive skills were an ideal complement to Jordan's abilities. He had most of his best seasons at Jordan's side, while his scoring averages and general satisfaction with the game dropped considerably after Jordan's second retirement in 1998.

Pippen retired after returning to the Bulls to play just 23 games in the 2003-04 season. Chicago retired his No. 33 on Dec. 9, 2005.

Pippen said he would be open to offers from any team, but also said he would contact a few unnamed teams in hopes of getting the best destination.

The All-Stars gathered in Las Vegas mostly seemed warm to the idea of playing with Pippen -- or even alongside him.

"I know it's hard when guys leave the game," Washington's Gilbert Arenas said. "They're sitting there analyzing, and they're getting itchy. If he's ready, he's ready. Maybe I can get another autographed jersey from him.

Miami's Dwyane Wade also liked the idea of a comeback with the Heat.

"I'm already playing with (Gary) Payton and Shaq, two guys I used to play with on video games," Wade said. "To add Scottie Pippen to the mix, that would be crazy."

ginobili fan
02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Then I want MJ too

midgetonadonkey
02-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Maybe we can get Tree Rollins out of retirement to help our big man rotation.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/PP__scottie_pippen.jpg

yeah we want this guy.

Please don't tell me you're making the argument that you don't want him because he's been arrested.

ManuTastic
02-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Sounds like more of a Miami type signing to me. I do think Pip could be useful in certain scenarios, in limited minutes, like throwing him on Nowitzki for short spells, but it just doesn't sound like a Spurs move. Not that he's going to be a stopper any more, but our bench sucks anyway, so he couldn't make it worse than it is.
Thing is, Miami loves loading up on big-headed also-rans.

alamo50
02-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Do NOT do it Pop!

exstatic
02-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Pip had health problems and was done before he hung up his kicks. He wouldn't be any better now.

wildbill2u
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
There have been exceptional athletes whose physical abilities permitted them to play past the age where their skills would normallly have been too eroded to be useful.

But would a guy like Pippen take a ten day contract and then could the staff really evaluate him on a ten day contract?

Extra Stout
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Pip sucked pretty bad when he retired. Does he seriously think he's going to be better now?

Ronaldo McDonald
02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
He's looking to play fifteen minutes? That's all he'll play before he breaks his knees. If scottie is looking for a way to waste his time he should create his own porn website: Scottie Pimpin

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 07:20 AM
There's an article on MYSA.com that I can't seem to access, but the "teaser" on Prosportsdaily.com said the Spurs had not ruled out signing Pippen. The Heat and Mavs have already said it seems like their rosters are set, though with D-Wade possibly out for the season Miami might re-think their position.

JPB
02-23-2007, 07:58 AM
That's what some people were suggesting when Pip anounced he wanted to play again. If a team would suffer a injury, maybe he would have a chance.
But Riley firmly sayed he was not interested before the injury, so I don't know.

Dallas, maybe it would habe been to keep another west team to sign him.

SA... ?

it's really hard to discuss about it cos nobody (Me anyway) knows if he really still can play and what he could bring.

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Here's the blip at the bottom of the Ludden article...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022307.08D.BKNspurs.trades.11dc1d5.html

The Spurs also haven't ruled out trying to sign 41-year-old forward Scottie Pippen, who announced last week he wanted to come out of retirement to join a championship contender. While team officials said only they will do their "due diligence" with Pippen, they likely won't seriously consider signing the former Chicago Bulls standout without first seeing him work out.

The Spurs also would have to waive a player to make room for Pippen or any other free agent they might want to add.

"If there is a way we think we can improve the team," Buford said, "we'll continue to explore it."

I guess it's not too serious, but other than Miami, it seems the well is drying up for interested "contenders". Pip looked in-shape at the all-star game, though he didn't do much running. He probably still has the passing ability and court vision, but I wonder if his knee injury and old age will keep him from being an effective defender of 3s and 4s (small ball).

Also, as noted the Spurs would have to waive someone, so I doubt it happens, but you never know....

ambchang
02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
His last year with the Bulls was terrible, but that was when the Bulls were going for the youth movement. He played decent with Portland, and something like court vision and knowledge of the game doesn't erode with age.
My only concern is his quickness, I still remember him being torched by not completely developed Bryant when Pippen was playing with Houston, and now, 7 years later, I would imagine he would be even slower. But then again, that Houston team didn't have the defensive scheme the Spurs have now, and Pippen could be a great fit.
I say go for a ten-day contract, let him prove himself, and Pippen would be a great backup for the 1,2 and 3 positions.

JPB
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I think it really must be for the money that he wants back cos I heard he would consider playing with the cavs, not a real contending team IMO.

So, I really don't know in what shape he actually is.

Ocotillo
02-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Let some other team take a chance on this reclamation project. What do we need him for? We already have Finley playing the role of past his prime veteran former all star that makes you cringe when he heaves up a shot.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone.

"Pippen places Spurs near top of comeback list"

I think the Spurs should reject his backhanded compliment.

ducks
02-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Signing Pippen Not Ruled Out
Wire Reports
Friday, February 23, 2007

Despite several calls to the team about both Beno Udrih and Jackie Butler, the Spurs decided to let the NBA's trading deadline pass by without making a move.

Still, there are reports that the team has not ruled out signing 41-year-old former All-Star Scottie Pippen.

Pippen announced late last week that he wants to come out of retirement and mentioned the Heat, Spurs, Lakers and Mavs among the teams he'd like to play for.

''I know that I have the skills,''Pippen said.

''I think it's sort of been on my mind the past couple of months.

''It's just about me going out and polishing my skills.''

Pippen hasn't played since his retirement on October 5, 2004, after a 17-season career with Chicago, Houston and Portland.

He won six titles in his famed role as Michael Jordan's wingman with the Bulls and was part of two gold medal-winning US Olympic teams.

Pippen, who has been working out in Florida for a few months, said the time was right to add his experience and defensive prowess to a contending club.

Located closest to Florida his home, the Miami Heat have not taken any interest, but the Cavaliers, Nuggets, Lakers and the Spurs have all inquired about him.

Team officials told the Express-News that they will do their "due diligence" with Pippen, and that they likely won't seriously consider signing him without first seeing him work out.

Since they have a full roster, the Spurs would need to waive a player to make room for Pippen.

In San Antonio, fan reaction has been mixed. Some say the Spurs don't need to get any older. Others question his motivation to return from retirement as simple economics.

It has been reported that Pippen must pay a bank more than $5 million in a breach of contract lawsuit involving a loan for a business jet.

According to court documents, Pippen was taking so many charter flights that a pilot convinced him in 2001 that he should buy his own plane.

Pippen and his wife, Larsa, formed a company called Air Pip and borrowed $4.375 million from JODA LLC, an aircraft finance company based in the St. Louis suburb of Chesterfield.

U.S. Bank later bought the note and sued the Pippens and their company in 2004.

Pippen acknowledged signing the promissory note with a personal guarantee, however, it has never been made clear whether he ever got to use the Grumman Gulfstream II, a twin-engine corporate jet.

"The location and condition of the plane is dependent on who you talk to,'' Pippen's attorney Gary Sarachen said.

phyzik
02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
fuck it, lets bring Bird, Bill Walton and Iceman back while we are at it.... if we are going to set the record for the all time oldest fucking team in NBA history, lets do it right.

ducks
02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Pippen told the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday that he decided to go ahead with his comeback attempt and hopes to schedule private workouts with teams in the coming days. Pippen also said ``a half-dozen'' had called him.

Sources said the Cavs are one of the teams that have contacted Pippen and might consider working him out within the next week or so. Before making any decision, the team might wait and see if any other players shake loose by next week's deadline.

Pippen, 41, told the Beacon Journal last week that he was intrigued by the Cavs and saw an opening as a point guard, a role he believes that he can play. He said wants to play for a contender and preferred the Heat, who are near his Fort Lauderdale, Fla., home.

But circumstances might have changed due to Dwyane Wade's shoulder injury. In interviews with South Florida media, Heat coach Pat Riley also downplayed his team's interest. The Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, and Suns are teams that also might have interest in Pippen.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/16771956.htm

ducks
02-24-2007, 11:50 AM
people wanted to pass on webber and webber is playing decent

midgetonadonkey
02-24-2007, 05:01 PM
people wanted to pass on webber and webber is playing decent

Webber isn't 41.

AFBlue
02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
If the Spurs bring another player on, be it Pippen or another player who gets waived (Atkins, Magloire, Francis?), they'll have to waive someone as their roster is full. Most likely candidates are White and Vaughn...

Are any of the potentials worth getting rid of a player on the current roster?

Fabbs
02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Pop is far too stoopid/stubborn to limit Tonys minutes in meaningless reg season games, let alone blowout playoff games like last year ve Sacto.