PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA player is least interested in playing defense?

Burn531
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
From SI.com

[Based on a survey of 271 NBA players]

Steve Nash, Suns.....9%
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks.....9%
Tracy McGrady, Rockets....8%
Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets.....8%
Adam Morrison, Bobcats.....7%
Vince Carter, Nets.....5%
Sam Cassell, Clippers.....5%
LeBron James, Cavs.....3%
Mike Bibby, Kings.....3%
Allen Iverson, Nuggets.....3%

FAST FACTS: The top four finishers were chosen for Sunday's All-Star Game ... Bobcats rookie Adam Morrison was fifth (7%) though he had not yet played in a regular-season game when the poll was conducted ... Nuggets guard Allen Iverson (3%) joined Anthony in the Top 10 ... The Cavaliers' LeBron James received the most votes among players in his own Central Division (13.8%).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/players/02/13/poll.0213/

SAtown
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
What do all of those players have in common? (minus Cassel, of course)

dave
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
these player polls are incredibly stupid

last year they voted sam mitchell as coach most likely to be fired
look at where he is now

ambchang
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Mitchell SHOULD have been fired. He did a terrible job last year. He ran terrible plays that costs the team, the players were obviously not coached and were lost on the floor.
This year, based on talent, the Raptors SHOULD be in the top 5 in the East. They have a go-to guy (Bosh), interior defense (Bargani, Rasho), two PGs who can set up plays (Calderon, Ford), perimeter defense (Mo Pete), perimeter shooting (Mo Pete, Parker, Bosh, Calderon), and atheleticism (Bargani, Bosh, Graham).
And it has to take Colangelo to basically TELL the coach that the team was built for running for the coach to realize this even after coaching them for two years. Raptors should go with Rick Adelman.

mavsfan1000
02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow people are stupid. Dirk at 9% yet the mavs are one of the best defensive teams? I have a hard time believing Dallas could be this good defensively despite a defensive liability.

Bob Lanier
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers are statistically one of the better defensive teams as well, despite having not one but four defensive liabilities in their starting lineup.

There's only so much that team defense can do - in the playoffs weaknesses will be exploited.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Mitchell SHOULD have been fired. He did a terrible job last year. He ran terrible plays that costs the team, the players were obviously not coached and were lost on the floor.
This year, based on talent, the Raptors SHOULD be in the top 5 in the East. They have a go-to guy (Bosh), interior defense (Bargani, Rasho), two PGs who can set up plays (Calderon, Ford), perimeter defense (Mo Pete), perimeter shooting (Mo Pete, Parker, Bosh, Calderon), and atheleticism (Bargani, Bosh, Graham).
And it has to take Colangelo to basically TELL the coach that the team was built for running for the coach to realize this even after coaching them for two years. Raptors should go with Rick Adelman.

you had it all right until you said bargnani had athleticism lol

Bob Lanier
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
He also said that Morris Peterson plays defense.

Andrea Bargnani is a considerably better athlete than Mo Pete is a defender.

lol.

stretch
02-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow people are stupid. Dirk at 9% yet the mavs are one of the best defensive teams? I have a hard time believing Dallas could be this good defensively despite a defensive liability.
people will never respect Dirk because of his past. although he isnt an elite defender or anything like that, he has actually become a pretty decent defender. while in the first 3 quarters, he tends to play more lazy defense, he always seems to come up with big defensive stops in the 4th, which is what matters the most. he basically had the game winning stop last night against houston, when he either blocked, or nearly blocked and contested extremely well, the final jumpshot. he always seems to come up with big offensive and defensive rebounds, and just finds a way to make plays, on both ends. and he isnt afraid to give hard fouls, and do whatever he can to prevent an easy bucket. the other game, in the 4th, i saw a guy who seemed to have an easy fastbreak, then dirk came up and shoved him in the back to prevent the score. i think people really need to watch him more closely, and they will see how far he has truly come along as a defender, and how much avery has changed him. he truly is an amazing player, and to basically call him the worst defender around, is completely unfair.

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Dirk isn't interested in playing D, from what I've seen...the only reason he does is because of Avery. He's become a decent defender, but I don't think he's all that interested. I may be wrong, I don't really examine his defensive intensity enough.

sandman
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
the other game, in the 4th, i saw a guy who seemed to have an easy fastbreak, then dirk came up and shoved him in the back to prevent the score.

That is an interesting definition for good defense...

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
the other game, in the 4th, i saw a guy who seemed to have an easy fastbreak, then dirk came up and shoved him in the back to prevent the score.

:lmao That seems more like a foul than defense but ok.

Xylus
02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Steve Nash is definitely not the least interested in playing defense.

He's an underrated team defender, but a bad man-on-man defender. It's not because he's not interested, it's because he's not as physically gifted as he needs to be to guard quick point guards like Tony Parker or bigger point guards like Chauncey Billups.

Nash takes a lot of charges, though. And he's constantly moving around on defense.

LEONARD
02-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Dirk is under-rated as a defender because of his abilities in his early career. He's far from great, but he's not a huge liability like he used to be...

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Dirk is under-rated as a defender because of his abilities in his early career. He's far from great, but he's not a huge liability like he used to be...
I agree with that, he is pretty good at stripping the ball especially.

timvp
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Dirk is a soft defender, but AJ does a great job of hiding him.

Brent Barry should be on any Worst Defenders list.

mabber
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Dirk isn't interested in playing D, from what I've seen...the only reason he does is because of Avery. He's become a decent defender, but I don't think he's all that interested. I may be wrong, I don't really examine his defensive intensity enough.

I agree completely. Dirk isn't in the least bit interested in playing D but has to try because he's the leader of the team and Avery stresses defense. He's improved a lot but is still a very average defender. He has perfected the "Karl Malone step out of the way and slap the ball out of the offensive guy's hands" move though...which is the favored move of guys that are not interested in playing defense :lol

ShackO
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
From SI.com

[Based on a survey of 271 NBA players]

Steve Nash, Suns.....9%
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks.....9%
Tracy McGrady, Rockets....8%
Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets.....8%
Adam Morrison, Bobcats.....7%
Vince Carter, Nets.....5%
Sam Cassell, Clippers.....5%
LeBron James, Cavs.....3%
Mike Bibby, Kings.....3%
Allen Iverson, Nuggets.....3%

FAST FACTS: The top four finishers were chosen for Sunday's All-Star Game ... Bobcats rookie Adam Morrison was fifth (7%) though he had not yet played in a regular-season game when the poll was conducted ... Nuggets guard Allen Iverson (3%) joined Anthony in the Top 10 ... The Cavaliers' LeBron James received the most votes among players in his own Central Division (13.8%).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/players/02/13/poll.0213/

Mike Bibby, Kings.....3%....???? And I thought he played zero defense....... :pctoss

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree completely. Dirk isn't in the least bit interested in playing D but has to try because he's the leader of the team and Avery stresses defense. He's improved a lot but is still a very average defender. He has perfected the "Karl Malone step out of the way and slap the ball out of the offensive guy's hands" move though...which is the favored move of guys that are not interested in playing defense :lol

That's what I've noticed, but hey it works.

itzsoweezee
02-16-2007, 07:21 PM
can't believe lebron is only at 3%. and mcgrady isn't that bad. van gundy wouldn't stand for it.

mabber
02-16-2007, 07:24 PM

I agree that Dirk is a soft defender but I think you can be a really good defender and play soft. I think Duncan is a really good defender but plays soft. Dirk is not nearly as good as Duncan on D though.

mavsfan1000
02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Dirk might be soft but uses his height as an advantage to bother other players. I can't believe Dirk is among the top of the list. What bullshit type of stereotype is being put on Europeans.

sprrs
02-16-2007, 07:56 PM

The Spurs with Barry and Finley, Beno.....

timvp
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I think Duncan is a really good defender but plays soft.

Duncan is far from a soft defender. He usually guards the other team's best post player, especially this year. He also guarded Shaq thru the years about as well as Shaq can be guarded.

Dirk is a soft defender, but he's come a long ways. He's at least active on that end of the court now. He's good at player passing lanes and uses his length well. Like when AJ hides him on Bowen, he does a very good job of running him off his shots.

Right now Dirk is a slightly below average defender who AJ has put in the positions to where he's actually pretty effective.

Amare_32
02-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Speaking of I don't see Shaq on the list.

Texas_Ranger
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Nash.

Amare_32
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Nash.

DUH! :lol Nash's offense is his defense. Very few guards have been able to stop him or slow him down. Whatever he gives up in defense he more than makes up for it on offense.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Brad Miller, Pau Gasol anyone?

dave
02-16-2007, 10:27 PM

raptors are a top5 team in the weak weak east
even without the division leader rule, they are 4th in the conference

atxrocker
02-16-2007, 10:30 PM
mike bibby

CarmeloNumeroUno
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Answer-----Gilbert " Hibachi" Arenas. I love Gil and all but he just jacks shots and instead of D he plays the I wonder why it didnt drop game 8 for 26 in philly.

NUFF SAID

Amare_32
02-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Answer-----Gilbert " Hibachi" Arenas. I love Gil and all but he just jacks shots and instead of D he plays the I wonder why it didnt drop game 8 for 26 in philly.

NUFF SAID

A Nuggets fan talking about defense. :lol

CarmeloNumeroUno
02-16-2007, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE]A Nuggets fan talking about defense.

Phoenix aint high on defense either Opponents= 103 ppg =5 game skid

:hang

Mr Dio
02-17-2007, 01:49 AM

AJ hides Irk like a pair of panties hides a....... :lol

mabber
02-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Duncan is far from a soft defender. He usually guards the other team's best post player, especially this year. He also guarded Shaq thru the years about as well as Shaq can be guarded.

Dirk is a soft defender, but he's come a long ways. He's at least active on that end of the court now. He's good at player passing lanes and uses his length well. Like when AJ hides him on Bowen, he does a very good job of running him off his shots.

Right now Dirk is a slightly below average defender who AJ has put in the positions to where he's actually pretty effective.

I don't mean that in a negative way as Duncan is a very good defender. I just mean he really doesn't play a very physical defense anymore. He really doesn't need to as he's learned all the defensive techniques to play effectively w/o getting in foul trouble all the time.

loveThe23
02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Mike Bibby, Kings.....3%....???? And I thought he played zero defense....... :pctoss

:lol

exstatic
02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
That's a different poll: players not interested in playing regular season games.

ambchang
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
raptors are a top5 team in the weak weak east
even without the division leader rule, they are 4th in the conference

And that is where they are supposed to be base on their talent. Colangelo had to tell the coach that the team has to run, he said it when he was hired, but Mitchell couldn't figure that out in two years, even though his job was on the line.
Fire Mitchell, Hire Adelman.

mardigan
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Gilbert Arenas

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Nash

Bookit
02-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Nash....Terrible
Finley...Terrible
Dirk.....Used to be Terrible.

Now we know why the Mavs stunk on defense for so many years.

MJ23DWADE3
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Antoine Walker

Rip-Hamilton32
02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Nash....Terrible
Finley...Terrible
Dirk.....Used to be Terrible..

homer :elephant

and btw dirk is not the reason your defense is any better lol

stretch
02-19-2007, 07:23 PM
:lmao That seems more like a foul than defense but ok.
limiting your opponents chances of scoring is all part of defense, which includes fouls being administered at the proper time.

Flopper
02-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Tmac can be a good defender...

but probably only want to defend when told to. But Houston has great defense.

bdictjames
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Anthony no doubt

Bookit
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
homer :elephant

and btw dirk is not the reason your defense is any better lol

Who said Dirk is the reason the Defense is better? But Dirk isn't part of a starting 5 that just sucks on D, like before.

Finley couldn't guard anybody when he was here.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-19-2007, 09:04 PM

LMAO so true.
:lol

dave
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM

and to add to my previous comment about how the raptors ARE in fact 4th in the conference (even though its a weak conference, it's still 4th)

how has mitchell had this team for 2 years?
this years team has 9 new players...

and...

last year, loren woods was our best center (he's an NBDL allstar right now)
and our best bench player was bonner...

so talent wise, it was pretty bad...

mabber
02-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Who said Dirk is the reason the Defense is better? But Dirk isn't part of a starting 5 that just sucks on D, like before.

Finley couldn't guard anybody when he was here.

And he was considered the Mavs best defender (in starting lineup) :lol

ambchang
02-20-2007, 10:06 AM
and to add to my previous comment about how the raptors ARE in fact 4th in the conference (even though its a weak conference, it's still 4th)

how has mitchell had this team for 2 years?
this years team has 9 new players...

and...

last year, loren woods was our best center (he's an NBDL allstar right now)
and our best bench player was bonner...

so talent wise, it was pretty bad...
Not saying that last year’s team was awesome in terms of talent, but it wasn’t terrible either, at least in the Eastern Conference.
When you have a lineup of Jose Calderon, Mike James, Bosh, Villanueva, Jalen Rose and Mo Pete, you should be able to squeeze out some wins. This lineup is not a 27-win lineup, it should get you in the mid 30’s, low 40’s.
The Raptors last year looked lost on the court, especially when in a half-court set. That is what a coach is supposed to teach them. They also play no defense.
Of course, Mitchell wasn’t responsible for drafting busts like Araujo, picking Michael Bradley over Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Jamaal Tinsley, Tony Parker and Samuel Dalembert, and giving away Kareem Rush.