PDA

View Full Version : These are some teams in need of a PG

MoSpur
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Indiana, Cleveland, Miami, and Denver. That I know of. Out of those teams mentioned who would you want to trade Beno to and for who? Of course those teams would have to be willing to take Beno. If these teams were interested in acquiring Beno who would you deal with and for whom?

Big P
02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Reasonable Trade Ideas?

Mavschick
02-16-2007, 01:45 PM
CLE, IND, and MIA are looking for upgrades at the starting PG spot and Beno isn't really any better than Snow/Gibson in CLE, Tinsley in IND, or Payton/Williams in MIA so I don't know why they'd want him. I think CHA will deal Brevin Knight to one of those teams and would then be looking for a backup to Felton. If CHI ends up dealing one of Gordon or Hinrich to MEM for Gasol, they'll need another PG with Hinrich probably moving to SG if Gordon leaves or Duhon moving from backup to starting PG if Hinrich leaves.

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
beno + barry + 2nd rounder for marquis daniels

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Holy shit what a lousy idea.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Detroit could also use a backup PG, but I can't think of any scenario involving Beno.

td4mvp21
02-16-2007, 01:52 PM
All those current PG's>>>>>>>>Beno

MrChug
02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I like this thread. It's concise and offers a space for rational contemplative thought. I like the question posed. Seriously. Good thread.

Eric Snow would be SOLID. Not good, or take us to the next level...but an improvement? Hellz yea. Put Gary Payton in the same category...but sadly it's maybe the thug we need to get out of this rut. Denver? We'd have to trade for = value. Maybe the water boy. Now it's INDIANA I'm interested in[FONT=Impact]...MARQUIS DANIELS

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
People need to make use of this site to see how awful the contracts of guys like Eric Snow and Marquis Daniels are:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/

MoSpur
02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
It doesn't necessarily need to be Beno for a PG. It can be for a long three.

timvp
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
The Pacers wanted Beno in the draft. The Spurs liked Maceo Baston in the past. If it wasn't for the fact that the Spurs are already overloaded in the bigs department, that'd be a good trade.

Beno for Rawle Marshall or Orien Greene I think puts the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold. I doubt the Pacers take Beno for Marshall. Beno for Greene might be decent. Greene can be the Spurs third point guard and although his offense is limited, he's a good defender with good size for a PG.

Cleveland could be interested in Beno, but I don't see much that makes sense. Perhaps Beno for Dwayne Jones. Jones is a bigman prospect who has shown glimpses of being a great rebounder.

I doubt Miami or Denver would be interested in Beno.

pad300
02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
The Pacers wanted Beno in the draft. The Spurs liked Maceo Baston in the past. If it wasn't for the fact that the Spurs are already overloaded in the bigs department, that'd be a good trade.

Beno for Rawle Marshall or Orien Greene I think puts the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold. I doubt the Pacers take Beno for Marshall. Beno for Greene might be decent. Greene can be the Spurs third point guard and although his offense is limited, he's a good defender with good size for a PG.

Cleveland could be interested in Beno, but I don't see much that makes sense. Perhaps Beno for Dwayne Jones. Jones is a bigman prospect who has shown glimpses of being a great rebounder.

A 3 way deal might be worked

SAS out - Udrih
SAS in - James Singleton

IND out - Maceo Baston
IND in - Udrih

LAC out - James Singleton
LAC in - Maceo Baston

SA gets a wing that might be useful, IND gets Udrih, who TIMVP suggests they are interested in, and LAC gets Maceo, who is a better PF than Singleton (they have had Singleton filling in at PF, as Tim Thomas has been wussy for them - not unexpected).

PS. I'm using Singleton a lot in these examples, but its just I don't feel like searching for another player to fill the role. I'm not really obsessed with getting Singleton

T Park
02-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Whoever they have as a backup?

Is better than Beno.

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
The only guy mentioned that is interesting is Orien Greene. He put up decent stats at the end of last year with Boston. He'd classify as a salary dump for the Spurs and I'm sure Indiana would jump at it; Beno Udrih is a far better player.

T Park
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Pfft

:lol

No hes not.

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 07:45 PM
T Park, I don't know if you're a fucking idiot, but this "Beno Udrih for a pap schmear!!!" business is getting old.

Orien Greene is a marginal NBA player, strictly 3rd string with a chance for more. Beno Udrih clearly has the talent for a lifetime career backup in this league.

Bruno
02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Dumping Beno won't be at all a problem, He is young, has some skills and his contract his cheap : I can see a lot of teams gambling a second round pick on him.

Finding a home for Oberto will be more difficult because he is old, limited and more expensive. Spurs will need to find a team in the playoff race and that needs a big (maybe Hornets, Magic, Nets or Wolves...)

timvp
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Dumping Beno won't be at all a problem, He is young, has some skills and his contract his cheap : I can see a lot of teams gambling a second round pick on him.

Would dumping Beno for a player making the minimum put the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold? For example, Beno for Orien Greene or Beno for Dwayne Jones.

It looks like it'd be pretty close . . .

Bruno
02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Would dumping Beno for a player making the minimum put the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold? For example, Beno for Orien Greene or Beno for Dwayne Jones.

It looks like it'd be pretty close . . .

Spurs are $274K over the tax (if my figures are correct).
Players with a minimum salary count for $745K against the tax this year and Beno salary is $968K : Spurs will be $50K over the tax.

There are too some player who count less $745K against the tax : second round picks with 0 or 1 year of experience but Beno salary is too high to match.

However, teams can acquire players with minimum contracts even when they are over the cap and that they don't have a trade exception.

A trade like that will put Spurs under the cap :
Spurs trade : Beno+cash for 2nd round pick
team X trade : minimum player + 2nd round pick for Beno
team Y trade : nothing for minimum player + cash

Another possibility is a two team trade for a second round pick (without a player coming to SA) with a team under the cap or with a trade exception.

GrandeDavid
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
A business associate and good friend of mine is a Miami Heat season ticket holder and he says the same thing. Says that they desperately could use a point guard.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-16-2007, 10:28 PM

I doubt it too. They have AI and Steve 'nashlite' Blake :lol

Although it would be nice to have a 3rd string PG for the times that Blake/Ai play as the starting backcourt.

Trainwreck2100
02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Spurs could use a backup PG

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Spurs could use a backup PG

:clap

milkyway21
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
now that it's out that Jason Kidd(interview earlier today on TNT), is available and might be being shopped(although the Lakers is the frontrunner), many teams would make a ran after him than Beno.

let's leave Beno's fate alone with the Spurs org.

Mr. Body
02-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Beno and Kidd are about on the same shelf in the supermarket, right next to each other.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah, Beno and Kidd are about on the same shelf in the supermarket, right next to each other.
:lol I was thinking the same thing when I read that. There's no way in hell you make a comparison from Beno to J. Kidd.

MmP
02-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd go for Walter Herrmann, athletic SF with similar contract than Beno.

Beno for Herrmann.

venitian navigator
02-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Atlanta is looking for a play maker and is disappointed with Claxton...
Whattabout a Beno + Berry for Claxton + first (second) choice ?

Mr. Body
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Claxton's contract is pretty shitty. Too much and too long. Plan 2008 isn't some fluid thing - they will not take on big salaries beyond that year.