PDA

View Full Version : Billions Wasted in Iraq

Nbadan
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
It's your retirement money...

Auditors: Billions Wasted in Iraq War

WASHINGTON — The U.S. government is at risk of squandering significantly more money in an Iraq war and reconstruction effort that has already wasted or otherwise overcharged taxpayers billions of dollars, federal investigators said Thursday.

The three top auditors overseeing contract work in Iraq told a House committee of $10 billion in spending that was wasteful or poorly tracked. They pointed to numerous instances in which Defense and State department officials condoned or otherwise allowed poor accounting, repeated work delays, bloated expenses and payments for work shoddily or never done by U.S. contractors.

That problem could worsen, the Government Accountability Office said, given limited improvement so far by the Department of Defense even as the Bush administration prepares to boost the U.S. presence in Iraq.

Given "the need for continued support for deployed forces, it is essential for DOD to address these shortcomings if the department is to increase its return on its investment in Iraq," said David M. Walker, comptroller general of the GAO, Congress' auditing arm, in prepared testimony.

WRAL (http://www.wral.com/news/political/story/1204470)

Money never completely just disappears, it just changes hands. Who's to say that some of this money isn't helping to fund the insurgency itself? Humm...Remember the Dubya advisor who before he was even in office was preaching that what was needed was to reduce government to a level where it could be drowned in a bathtub.

The more money that they "lose" in Iraq puts government into debt to where all social programs must be abandoned, the sick, disabled, elderly, the young, unemployed, strong healthy people all will suffer. The rich people whom the GOP protects with tax benefits are the winners. They will laugh at the poor people whom they have chosen to abandon. It was the plan long before the administration began.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2007, 02:19 PM
It's not a waste. Just seeing all those peaceful Iraqis embracing their new found freedoms is worth every penny.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2007, 02:19 PM
What the fuck am I doing in the political forum?

01Snake
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Really? My retirement money? I'm not counting on Uncle Sam for my retirement. If you think SS will be there in 30-40 years, you're dreaming

xrayzebra
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Really? My retirement money? I'm not counting on Uncle Sam for my retirement. If you think SS will be there in 30-40 years, you're dreaming

Snake, I said the same thing when I was 25 years
old. But guess what? SocSec is still here and
will be in the future. The politicians cant afford
to let it die.

ThomasGranger
02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
When will those damn welfare Iraqis quite sucking on the government tit and get a job at McDonalds or Wal-Mart!

johnsmith
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Weird, I posted in this thread and it showed up in the peanut butter thread.

Anyway, I just checked my 401k and other retirement accounts and thank God, the government hasn't yet used my retirement funds for the war.

Dan, are you sure you ever opened a retirement account in the first place?

ThomasGranger
02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Remember the Dubya advisor who before he was even in office was preaching that what was needed was to reduce government to a level where it could be drowned in a bathtub.

Grover Norquist, who famously argued for "starving the beast."

boutons_
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Enriching the MIC and spending the fed govt into an ocean of red ink, "starve", were 2 more hidden but extremely real PNAC/AEI/neo-cunt objectives for the Iraq war, the ultimate objective being a poison pill for the Dems as they take office and try to raise taxes to pay for the Repug profligacy.

The alternative would be to cut the size of the "beast" govt, mainly services for young/old/poor/sick while maintaining full subsidies, tax-cuts, tax-breaks to corps/farmers/MIC/over-charging-contractors and other deep-pocket campaign donors.

ponky
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
this is why i pay as little as possible to the idiots in d.c....being self-employed helps