PDA

View Full Version : New slam dunk ideas?

Billy Shears
02-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Seriously. I'm getting pretty sick of the same old dunks. :sleep Anybody have any ideas for a dunk that hasn't been done a thousand times?

I'd like to see someone start by wedging the ball between the rim and backboard and then work with that.

dave
02-17-2007, 11:55 PM
do a flip in midair and then dunk it?

Billy Shears
02-17-2007, 11:57 PM

That'd be pretty cool to see, but could anyone even do it? I'm talking realistic dunks lol

johngateswhiteley
02-17-2007, 11:57 PM
i don't have a problem with the dunks. i have a problem with the format...i think it sucks. go back to the way it was.

resistanze
02-17-2007, 11:58 PM
360 through the legs
through the legs twice
statue of liberty from near FT line

Billy Shears
02-17-2007, 11:59 PM
360 through the legs
through the legs twice
statue of liberty from near FT line

Yeah! The double through the legs would be awesome.

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2007, 12:04 AM
anything is possible if there is a trampoline......look at the suns mascot, if he was in the dunk comp he put these clowns too shame

lefty
02-18-2007, 12:04 AM
How to make the dunk contest interesting again? Oh I Know : invite Vince and Fred Weiss ; put Weiss in front of the net ; u know the drill

Leetonidas
02-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Some of the dunks from Europe are sick.

I can't find the video, but I know Walter Hermann has done one where he took off all of his clothes to his boxers and dunked it somehow, and one where some dude did a somersault dunk.

Billy Shears
02-18-2007, 12:38 AM

I can't find the video, but I know Walter Hermann has done one where he took off all of his clothes to his boxers and dunked it somehow, and one where some dude did a somersault dunk.

Awesome!

Billy Shears
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Definitely put the link here if you do find it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Definitely put the link here if you do find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgfx6VtFHo

dav4463
02-18-2007, 04:03 AM
I remember some CBA guy about ten years ago did a cartwheel dunk. It was great. He put the ball down against the floor and held onto it and rose up with a windmill jam after completing a cartwheel. I haven't seen it since. You would think it would get some air time somewhere. It was on ESPN I believe.

Sacramental
02-18-2007, 04:11 AM
behind the back double-clutch 360 windmill sunny-side up flip verticle jam.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-18-2007, 04:51 AM

:lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-18-2007, 05:01 AM
um, have you ever seen a guy put a sticker 12 feet and 6 inches high ? :lol

Ronaldo McDonald
02-18-2007, 05:06 AM
In my opinion the lack of dunk creativity is something that can't be helped. We have pretty much seen everything. I think the excitment is pretty much harnessed in the competition/rivalry between the players. Imagine a Vince, Kobe, Tmac, Lebron, kg contest. We'd be seeing the same types of dunks, but the fact that these players are so popular, and impactul in the league, watching it would be fun. But the Big time players just don't enter because the highest prize you can get in the competition is like what 30,000? That's like .00000000006% of what they have in the bank.

Billy Shears
02-18-2007, 05:25 AM
In my opinion the lack of dunk creativity is something that can't be helped. We have pretty much seen everything. I think the excitment is pretty much harnessed in the competition/rivalry between the players. Imagine a Vince, Kobe, Tmac, Lebron, kg contest. We'd be seeing the same types of dunks, but the fact that these players are so popular, and impactul in the league, watching it would be fun. But the Big time players just don't enter because the highest prize you can get in the competition is like what 30,000? That's like .00000000006% of what they have in the bank.

Yeah, seeing those guys in the contest would be so much better. But I don't know, I mean there's gotta be stuff out there nobody's thought to do yet.

Billy Shears
02-18-2007, 05:26 AM
behind the back double-clutch 360 windmill sunny-side up flip verticle jam.

Sounds fattening.

AZLouis
02-18-2007, 08:50 AM
- do 360s by spinning in the other direction

- raise the rim

- offer a reward for most creative dunk

- 4 NBA guys vs 4 And1 guys vs 4 European guys (ever see that French dude that has a 56 inch vert. Look up Kadour Ziani)

Capt Bringdown
02-18-2007, 09:30 AM
The dunk contest was introduced and popularized by the ABA as a flashy way to compete with the then stodgy and "establishment" NBA.

Flash forward to now and the dunk contest has become a rather dull and stody tradition IMO. We've reached a saturation point, enough already.

biba
02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Try to remember Andre Iguodala dunk from last year : had you ever seen it before ?

"it was obvious to the crowd that Philly's swingman delivered the best dunk of the night in the first round, catching an Allen Iverson pass off the back of the glass and gliding under the backboard and rim for a reverse-slam on the other side. And then running off the court and down the tunnel as if to say it was over.
"Andre's behind-the-backboard dunk, that was crazy," said Josh Smith, the defending champ who said he'd never try that even after seeing it completed.
We'll be talking about this creative jam for a long time.
Said Iguodala, "I came up with that one day during the summer. I was in the gym and this guy told me I couldn't touch one side of the backboard and come to the other side and dunk the ball, and I did it.

"It came from that and I'm glad I got a chance to show it to the crowd."

It was a creative, athletic display of fearlessness, especially since he had scraped his face on the bottom of the backboard on his first attempt of the dunk."
"Robinson wins dunkfest amid controversy" By Matt Wong ESPN.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKkVzaM-L_k (the second one)

Duncanoypi
02-18-2007, 10:20 AM
according to DH12...he saved his best dunk in the finals...he was about to kiss the rim in that "if only" final dunk....

fuck Jordan...

Texas_Ranger
02-18-2007, 10:38 AM
-720 - T.J. Fontenette can do it.
-Over 5 guys - Like Green did it on the contest over Robinson, just add 4 more guys. Guys from the Slam nation can do it.
-Over a car - Marko Milic did it once on Slovenian dunk contest.
-Over a motorbike - Milic did it.
-Between the legs from the free throw line - James White did it.
-Under the ass or under the legs dunk - You can do it on the NBA live game.
-Behind the back and then between the legs - I didn't saw it yet.
-Pass yourself the ball from the backboard, then catch the ball, give the ball between the legs and do a 180 dunk - J-Rich did it, just he didn't do a 180.
-Between the legs 360 - T.J. Fontenette did it.
-Two time dunk. First do a normal dunk, then catch the ball under the rim once again and dunk it once again - That would be nice to see.

I've got a lot of ideas left but this is enough for now.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
According to another site, Howard petitioned the NBA for the opportunity to do the following...

360 on a 12' rim
pass to oneself, through the legs on an 11'6" rim.

NBA said no. So, raising the rim doesn't sound likely.

stretch
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Try to remember Andre Iguodala dunk from last year : had you ever seen it before ?

"it was obvious to the crowd that Philly's swingman delivered the best dunk of the night in the first round, catching an Allen Iverson pass off the back of the glass and gliding under the backboard and rim for a reverse-slam on the other side. And then running off the court and down the tunnel as if to say it was over.
"Andre's behind-the-backboard dunk, that was crazy," said Josh Smith, the defending champ who said he'd never try that even after seeing it completed.
We'll be talking about this creative jam for a long time.
Said Iguodala, "I came up with that one day during the summer. I was in the gym and this guy told me I couldn't touch one side of the backboard and come to the other side and dunk the ball, and I did it.

"It came from that and I'm glad I got a chance to show it to the crowd."

It was a creative, athletic display of fearlessness, especially since he had scraped his face on the bottom of the backboard on his first attempt of the dunk."
"Robinson wins dunkfest amid controversy" By Matt Wong ESPN.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKkVzaM-L_k (the second one)
yea, i remeber that one. it was sick. his behind the back was real good to, but he should have done that first, then used the backboard dunk for his last one. he still got jobbed bigtime though. Robinson didnt deserve to win it at all.

MrChug
02-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I think any dunk with strippers would have gotten a 50 in Las Vegas. They're used to getting slammed on anyway...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I think any dunk with strippers would have gotten a 50 in Las Vegas. They're used to getting slammed on anyway...

http://musicstation.heavenforum.com/users/77/00/27/smiles/rimshot.gif

exstatic
02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
You can't use props anymore either, so that's out.

Face it. There are only so many ways to dunk the fucking basketball. It's become tiresome, and a caracature of itself, just like All Star Weekend.

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
the only good dunk to me was tha dwight and gerald green over nate other than that it sucked

TheSanityAnnex
02-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Air Up There from the And1 team would have schooled everyone in this contest. They should allow two amateurs in the event each year.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
WEll since the NBA allows no props, all you'll ever see is the same old dunks. There aren't many dunks left to do that people haven't done yet. Now it's just a matter of who's the most athletic.

Gerland Green I thought did a good job, and damn can he jump. My favorite was his first dunk with Pierce throwing off the backboard for him because he performed that so smoothly on his first attempt, and his head was above the rim.

There's a clip of a europe dunk contest with Gelabale and Herrmann in it. Herrmann lights the ball on fire and doesn't some reserve dunk from what I remember. It used to be on YouTube, I'm having trouble finding it.

duncan228
02-18-2007, 04:05 PM
-720 - T.J. Fontenette can do it.
-Over 5 guys - Like Green did it on the contest over Robinson, just add 4 more guys. Guys from the Slam nation can do it.
-Over a car - Marko Milic did it once on Slovenian dunk contest.
-Over a motorbike - Milic did it.
-Between the legs from the free throw line - James White did it.
-Under the ass or under the legs dunk - You can do it on the NBA live game.
-Behind the back and then between the legs - I didn't saw it yet.
-Pass yourself the ball from the backboard, then catch the ball, give the ball between the legs and do a 180 dunk - J-Rich did it, just he didn't do a 180.
-Between the legs 360 - T.J. Fontenette did it.
-Two time dunk. First do a normal dunk, then catch the ball under the rim once again and dunk it once again - That would be nice to see.

I've got a lot of ideas left but this is enough for now.

Those are some good ones! It kind of suprises me we haven't seen a 720 in the NBA yet. I was thinking about the two time dunk too. That'd be sweet.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2007, 06:00 PM
There's video of a half-naked Argentinian basketball player and spurschick hasn't shown up yet?

Billy Shears
02-18-2007, 06:09 PM
There's video of a half-naked Argentinian basketball player and spurschick hasn't shown up yet?

Lmao!

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
um, have you ever seen a guy put a sticker 12 feet and 6 inches high ? :lol

That alone should have won the contest for Howard.

dirk4mvp
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
This year's contest sucked. When Rudy Gay is in it next year, it'll be better. He should've been in it over Thomas anyways.

Holmes_Fans
02-19-2007, 01:46 AM
They need to let the judges see replays of the dunk before the judge. They can't see everything when they are at halfcourt behind the player. One the one guys dunk he covered his face, and the judges didn't see it.

random, but check out this dunk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6RlOhO0oU

Purple & Gold
02-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Here's a 720 dunk or at least very close to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xpcgthwdp0

BradLohaus
02-19-2007, 02:02 AM
^^That was great!

"Yokmed sayon daeom sanchiontwite - OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHAAAHHHH!!!!!!"

sabar
02-19-2007, 02:05 AM
That 720 is pretty nice.
So now we need a 900.
If that is even humanely possible.

lefty
02-19-2007, 02:36 AM
It was an ok 720 ; I guess :smokin

Billy Shears
02-19-2007, 03:53 AM
They need to let the judges see replays of the dunk before the judge. They can't see everything when they are at halfcourt behind the player. One the one guys dunk he covered his face, and the judges didn't see it.

random, but check out this dunk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6RlOhO0oU

Yeah, Definitely.

jbspurs
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I know James White did the between the legs from the free throw line one handed. Now, I want to see somebody do the same thing and dunk it two handed.

Louae
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Here's a 720 dunk or at least very close to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xpcgthwdp0

holy shit. now that's what I'm talking about. CREATIVITY.

Holmes_Fans
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
The NBA players are just lacking creativity. There is alot of stuff out there that hasn't been seen in a NBA Dunk contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWrzZxB0G6Q&mode=related&search=

go to 1:05

MrChug
02-21-2007, 01:09 PM
That 720 is pretty nice.
So now we need a 900.
If that is even humanely possible.

...nah, they'd get to dizzy mid air and stumble into the first row.

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2007, 01:13 PM
that's more like a 690

bdictjames
02-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Bounce off the floor 720... only prime Vince could possibly pull that off

Mixability
02-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Probably won't ever happen because of the injury risks, but having a defender in there might make it interesting.

Getting the first 3 year limit out of there would be ideal as would upping the prize money. What sponsor wouldn't pay big bucks for a Kobe/Wade/Howard dunk off against Shaq?

Rip-Hamilton32
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Probably won't ever happen because of the injury risks, but having a defender in there might make it interesting.

Getting the first 3 year limit out of there would be ideal as would upping the prize money. What sponsor wouldn't pay big bucks for a Kobe/Wade/Howard dunk off against Shaq?

lol i donno if you mean shaq is a dunker or a defender either way :lol

Holmes_Fans
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
...nah, they'd get to dizzy mid air and stumble into the first row.
No they wouldn't. Snowboarders are starting to do 1260s

Billy Shears
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I think anything from behind the free throw line would be awesome. Has anyone actually seen a dunk where the person hasn't stepped over the line?

Spurologist
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Through the legs-360 dunk

sabar
02-23-2007, 03:57 AM
Not that it's possible anymore...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjoMYKORaPA

I'd post NBA footage of it if it was allowed, so settle.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-23-2007, 07:11 PM
alot of these dunks have been done...

in slam ball lol

dirk4mvp
02-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I think anything from behind the free throw line would be awesome. Has anyone actually seen a dunk where the person hasn't stepped over the line?

Josh Smith put tape about 2 feet behind the line, but took off in front of the tape at the line, It was still an awesome dunk, but it cost him points.

Holmes_Fans
02-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Josh Smith put tape about 2 feet behind the line, but took off in front of the tape at the line, It was still an awesome dunk, but it cost him points.
The tape was off to the left of the free throw line, alot further away from the rim. He never even attempted it though.

jbspurs
02-24-2007, 01:19 AM
The past two dunk contest was boring. Allstar weekend is for fans and the league should let the fans decide on who can participate on the dunkfest.