PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm confused: Oo-drah?

Solid D
11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Oo-drick, Oo-dree, Oo-drah...Oh, I don't care anymore...

While watching some of the DVR of the of the game last night, Bill Land and Sean Elliott were talking about Beno.

Sean was pronouncing Beno's last name the way most of us in here have learned to pronounce it..."Oo-dree". Based on Kori's taped interview with Beno this summer, Beno pronounced it "Ooo-dree".

Then last night, Bill Land said the radio voice of the Spurs Bill Schoening asked Beno to pronounce his last name and Land reported that Beno said "Oo-drah".

Now I'm convinced that it must be all a game for Beno. The next thing you know, he'll soon be calling himself Bee-No just to confuse us more.

Make up your mind...you remind me of Tony Dorsett...or Dorsit....or whatever.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Until he does something about it, his name is Chili Bowl.

Karl Mundt
11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Different dialects in different parts of Slovenia pronounce it differently, for example in mountainous regions his name can only be pronounced in hand gestures, so 'Beno' would actually be 6 rhythmic pounds on the chest with each fist, while to pronounce 'Udrih' you have to tug on your nose with two fingers (no thumbs) and circle it 4-5 times (depends on the context) in a clockwork direction while rolling your eyes in the opposite direction.

Solid D
11-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Thank you for that...whatever that was, Karl.

ShoogarBear
11-14-2004, 03:22 PM
It's actually prononced "throat-warbler mangrove".

cmurek
11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Beno Udrih. You must hear how thats sounds if you wanna to pronounce right! This examples which are given are totaly wrong! OO is ok, but the last part of his surname is not right writen. I think we can not write the right pronunciation. Same thing with his name Beno! Maybe this example works. If you wanna to say Beno tray to say american name Ben (Benjamin) and word no. BEN-NO! It sounds quite right.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Dick Stockton says it "Ooh-drick".

God, sends shivers up my spine when I hear that. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Dario
11-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Haha, you guys make it so difficult. Hes last name in Udrih, wich means you guys pronounce it like oo-drich. I m from europe and to us its funny how u guys have hard time with that simple last name. Wonder how u ever learned something like Nesterovič or even Schwarzeneger :blah
Oh and btw where can i get spurs-hawks game in the net (heared beno played well) => yeah i m a big fan :angel
Cya

Solid D
11-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Dario. I'm not sure you set anybody straight with that. Now, you've added a 4th way to pronounce it. Oo-drich? as in Food Rich without the F? Thanks for nothing.

Slomo
11-14-2004, 03:38 PM
There is only one correct way to pronounce Beno's name in the Slovenian language (except for the chest puonding which is optional) we say it it ooo-dreeh where the last h is not silent but pronounced the same way as it is in the word hello or home. I've noticed some commentator pronouncing it as oo-dreeck which is logical as many languages have a problem with non-silent h at the end of the word. That's the Slovenian pronounciation but it is bound to be "americanized" to a certain level. So if it sounded like oo-drah I can only atribute it to poor sound quality and/or noise.

Slomo
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Dario. I'm not sure you set anybody straight with that. Now, you've added a 4th way to pronounce it. Oo-drich? as in Food Rich without the F? Thanks for nothing.
ch like in your examples is just as wrong, so Mario either doesn't know what he's talking about or he is confusing English and German where ch is pronounced like the letter h in hello.

cmurek
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Slomo good example! Nice!

Slomo
11-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Haha, you guys make it so difficult. Hes last name in Udrih, wich means you guys pronounce it like oo-drich. I m from europe and to us its funny how u guys have hard time with that simple last name. Wonder how u ever learned something like Nesterovič or even Schwarzeneger :blah
Oh and btw where can i get spurs-hawks game in the net (heared beno played well) => yeah i m a big fan :angel
Cya
A non silent h a the end of the word is so unusual to many languages that you'll have a difficult time to get people to say it correctly - a good examples are the french who have a big problem saying his name.
I also do not know of an English example of such a word - does anyone?
Germans on the other hand have that a lot - so for them its not a problem.

Solid D
11-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Slomo. You are, indeed, the Slovenian Master. Oo-dreeh it will be from now on.

I'm also glad your name isn't Slomoh. :)

Dario
11-14-2004, 03:56 PM
ch like in your examples is just as wrong, so Mario either doesn't know what he's talking about or he is confusing English and German where ch is pronounced like the letter h in hello.

Yeah, you are right, i mixed german into it. Its kinda difficult if you have to learn all those foreign languages, i bet 3/4 americans dont even speak 1 foreign language (except spanish :rolleyes )
So yea, ooo-dreeh its the best comparison for his last name so far

Solid D
11-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Many of us in this Forum have adapted and we speak "ducks" fairly well, now.

Rick Von Braun
11-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Many of us in this Forum have adapted and we speak "ducks" fairly well, now.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Slomo
11-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Mario you should come to the chatroom during the Spurs games, I'd like to introduce to Sequ. You two should get along together real well.

Slomo
11-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Many of us in this Forum have adapted and we speak "ducks" fairly well, now. ducks is tough! :lol
but not only we all seem to understand it now, some have started using it as well :lol

Dario
11-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Its D like D Day, Door, Damn and stuff. Its pronounced D-a-r-i-o or in slovenian mountain language 2 shakes of the head to the left, 1 really wide smile and punch on the nose, (optional whine afterwards).
Would really like to come to that chatroom, but my work starts in 7am, so i have to get up in something like 6am and nba games are playing in 3am in our time so its kinda difficult to chat like that (unless you are school kid)
BTW: noone knows where i could get spurs-hawks game? :depressed

Kori Ellis
11-14-2004, 05:00 PM
I have Beno himself on tape saying it's OO-DREE

Slomo
11-14-2004, 05:08 PM
I have Beno himself on tape saying it's OO-DREE Ask him about the H next time you see him! (I guarantee it should be on the recording as well)
Tell him its tearing his fans appart :lol

Solid D
11-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Kori is keeping the tape in her "woman purse".

Karl Mundt
11-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Just say ood-ree-hello without the -ello

Drachen
11-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Cya

Schwarzeneger's name is pronounced wrong as well, since the w should be pronounced like a v, the e after the n should be pronounced like a hard a, and the er should be pronounced like eh, with a slight r sound at the end.

Oh and the ch in german really depends on where in germany, switzerland, or austria you are, but it is indeed a unique sound (when english is your first language) if pronounced as it would be in, say, berlin.

I just came up with a way to explain the sound, pretend like you are imitating a cat hissing, soften it up a bit and that is about the sound you are looking for.

timvp
11-15-2004, 04:29 AM
He's also staying healthy (*knocks on wood*), so I can't call him Paino, Sick Bay(no) or Iceman Jr. :spin

Slomo
11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
:lol @ timvp (and I sincerely hope that you problems continue for a long time)

Drachen you're right, German varies so much depending on the region that german folks from different regions/countries have problem understanding each other, I've actually seen a German Swiss movie on Austrian TV that was subtitled in German :lol.

Dex
11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Great, so I read through this whole thread just to find out that I've been saying it right all along? Guess those three years of high-school German WERE good for something. :rolleyes

I still throw a fit every time I hear someone say it ooh-drik. After the whole fiasco with the name on his jersey, you think they would've sent out a memo or something.

Drachen
11-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Damn, I mean, in Bavaria, it is a whole other language. Zum Beispiel (for example),
German: Ich liebe dich = Bavarian: I mog di = English: I love you. Freund-Spetzi-Friend... You can just about pinpoint the region someone comes from if you listen to the way they pronounce the "ch"

timvp
11-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Slomo was right. Beno was on the news and said his last name is OO-DREEH ... with a slight "H" sound.

Slomo
11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Btw, how is his English?

T Park
11-15-2004, 10:07 PM
bayno oodree

is how i pronounce it.

Shelly
11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Schwarzeneger's name is pronounced wrong as well, since the w should be pronounced like a v, the e after the n should be pronounced like a hard a, and the er should be pronounced like eh, with a slight r sound at the end.

Oh and the ch in german really depends on where in germany, switzerland, or austria you are, but it is indeed a unique sound (when english is your first language) if pronounced as it would be in, say, berlin.

I just came up with a way to explain the sound, pretend like you are imitating a cat hissing, soften it up a bit and that is about the sound you are looking for.

Yeah, my last name is German and it is no way in hell pronounced the way it should be.

I just want to call him http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/Beano30Tablets_enlarge.jpg

SpursWoman
11-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Yeah, my last name is German and it is no way in hell pronounced the way it should be.

I think your last name is pronounced just fine in *American*. :nerd :smokin

:lol

Drachen
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
what is it??

Shelly
11-15-2004, 10:33 PM
I think your last name is pronounced just fine in *American*. :nerd :smokin

:lol

Good thing my husband isn't an OBGYN. Could you imagine???? :oops

SpursWoman
11-15-2004, 10:41 PM

That would certainly raise some eyebrows.....but it should work just fine as a husband. ;)

ShoogarBear
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM

That would certainly raise some eyebrows.....but it should work just fine as a husband. ;)

Now you got me guessing . . . would your last name be something like Probenchutzen?

timvp
11-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Yeah, Shelly does have a smooth last name. Her husband's ancestors must have been pretty well known and thought of highly by females.

TheWriter
11-15-2004, 11:33 PM
KKABB, KENS, and WOAI all showed in todays practice how Manu and Bruce pronounced Beno's name. Then Beno told the media how you're supposed to announce it. It's Oo-Dree.

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah I saw that too. But the second time Beno said it, he put a little slight "h" at the end of Oo-Dree. The first time he just said Oo-Dree like on my tape.

Drachen
11-15-2004, 11:44 PM
like I said, say OOdree, then at the tail end make a sound like a cat hissing (but a bit softer)

ducks
11-15-2004, 11:48 PM
I just call him beno
easier to say and spell :fro

grjr
11-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I call him Bueno when he makes a three or a nice pass.

Karl Mundt
11-16-2004, 02:04 AM
like I said, say OOdree, then at the tail end make a sound like a cat hissing (but a bit softer)

That's true. And when you repeat it to the point where you don't sound like you have a cold, then you're probably spot on.

Slo spurs fan
11-16-2004, 11:00 AM
I just want to call him http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/Beano30Tablets_enlarge.jpg[/QUOTE]

:lmao :lmao :rollin :lmao :lmao

Urko
11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Beano? Yes sounds cool! :smokin

Slomo
11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
This should settle it once and for all! (http://videoimg.woai.com/htm/woai4player.htm?Art_ID=57122)

Rummpd
11-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Who cares SA should come up with a Spanish way of saying it = Beno Ole!

He's a player that is all that counts = appears old school ala John Stockton - could be the find of last years draft again!

Solid D
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Who cares SA should come up with a Spanish way of saying it = Beno Ole!

I like the idea from someone earlier - "Beno Bueno!" It could be used by radio PBP man Bill Schoening on Beno's 3-pointers.

But then again...we'd get pronunciation corrections coming in that it should really be pronounced "Bay-no Way-no".

Shelly
11-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Now you got me guessing . . . would your last name be something like Probenchutzen?

:lmao at SW and Timvp.

I have the same last name as a certain NBA referee.

No relation, though.

BenoUdrih92
11-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I get confused with the whole 'Udrih' thing, also. I finally said, "Ah forget it, it's OOODRRREEE" So that's what I go with. Makes more sense then--> Oodrick. What in the hell? ---Kristina

Solid D
11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, that got resurrected from being posted a year ago. Welcome BenoUdrih92.

angel_luv
11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
My friends and I asked Beno at the railing last year how to pronounce his full name. He told us we could call him just Beno. :lol

btw, He pronounced it like this:

If you wanna to say Beno tray to say american name Ben (Benjamin) and word no. BEN-NO! It sounds quite right.

Extra Stout
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
We can't pronounce it because we don't have the German "ch" sound in English. Most other languages have it. British English even has it for some adopted Gaelic words like "loch." We Americans don't use it.

In German, it would be "Udrich."

In Castilian Spanish (not Mexican), it would be "Udrix."

Or if you meet a person who says "Mexico" more like 'Me-hhhhhhhhhi-co" than "Me-i-co," that's the sound. Or if somebody pronounces "Ixtapa" or "Freixenet" correctly.

In English, the best I can tell you is that the sound is halfway between "sh" and "ch," or else like a hissing cat, or like a very hard "h."

pache100
11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Beno's name was misspelled on the first uniform jersey he was issued. It was spelled U-D-R-I-C-H. I saw a short clip of him being asked how to pronounce his name once...he said "OO-DRUCH" , but the last part is very gutteral, almost like CK (as in "click). We just don't have that particular sound in our version of the English language. But, Beno did not pronounce it OO-DREE in the clip I saw.

Extra Stout
11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
When you finish saying "Udrih," pretend you have to hock up a loogie, and that will be close enough to the correct pronunciation.

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Who cares? He's gone.

ploto
11-09-2005, 01:14 PM
When you finish saying "Udrih," pretend you have to hock up a loogie, and that will be close enough to the correct pronunciation.

I like the hissing cat analogy better! :lol

SA Gunslinger
11-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Dick Stockton says it "Ooh-drick".

God, sends shivers up my spine when I hear that. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Dick is a legend and all but he still slips and calls Manu, "Mano."

fraga
11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I shall always call him Beano Ooodi...

NZHayden
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
i call him- "you know"

Oh, Gee!!
11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Bee-no or Bay-no or Beh-no

spurs=bling
11-09-2005, 08:49 PM
go to woai media center type in Beno Udrih. and at the bottom of the list it say Beno who. click on it Beno tells the reporters how to say his last name.

spurs=bling
11-09-2005, 08:55 PM
http://www.woai.com/common/mediacenter/templateComponents/videoNav.aspx?searchFlag=true&navCatId=&search=Beno+Udrih&searchButton=Go

click on Beno who?