PDA

View Full Version : Miami looking strong for pippen

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Pippen hot to play for the Heat
Says being on team with O'Neal and Wade would be his ideal

Published February 17, 2007

LAS VEGAS -- It was 13 years ago when Scottie Pippen was the stars of stars, when Pippen in the first All-Star Game after Michael Jordan's "retirement" was the MVP in a big Eastern Conference win.

"I remember Michael was not there," said Pippen, who'll participate Saturday in the Shooting Stars contest with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and Candice Dupree of the Chicago Sky in one of several contests leading up to the slam dunk contest. "I was the veteran guy. A lot of the guys had stepped down, Magic [Johnson], Michael, Larry [Bird], Charles [Barkley, who was injured], guys who I had taken a back seat to. It was a time I was in my prime and could step forward."

Pippen did with a game-high 29 points and 11 rebounds, and you remember Pippen holding that trophy aloft that cold day in Minneapolis. The same, warm satisfied smile seemed to comfort Pippen again Friday while he was surrounded by media asking him about his intention to return to the NBA.

In a weekend of entertainment and the bizarre, where golfer Michelle Wie strolled around during the media session doing her own interviews, there is little news. There was the usual workup to Sunday's All-Star game with Dirk Nowitzki moving into the West starting lineup and Shaquille O'Neal saying he won't stay long in the East's.

So, against that backdrop, a sure future Hall of Famer who hopes to return to the NBA at 41 stood out.

Pippen, never shy about stating his opinions and intentions, made it clear he'd love to play for the Miami Heat.

"I'm looking at teams like Miami, Cleveland, Dallas, San Antonio. I feel there are a few teams I could help," Pippen said.

Sitting at a nearby table later on, Kobe Bryant said he'd call Pippen and ask him to consider the Lakers.

"I'd like an opportunity to help a team contend for a championship," Pippen said. "I'd like to go play with Shaq. That would be the ideal place. He's probably the best in the game, he and Dwyane Wade. Teams in the East still are bunched up, but [the Pistons and the Heat] will be fighting it out in the Eastern finals.

"I don't see anyone really a threat to them. Indiana is going in another direction, the Bulls still are lacking that inside presence."

Though O'Neal said he hadn't heard about any Pippen interest in Miami, Wade was excited.

"I'm already playing with [Gary] Payton and Shaq; Scottie and Michael are two guys I used to play with on video games," Wade said. "To add Scottie to the mix, that would be crazy. It would be a dream."

But through it all, you could still feel the specter of Jordan hanging over Pippen.

So Pippen never hesitated when he was asked—once again—about not being appreciated as much as he should have been.

"I know that, but I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward, shocked pause after Pippen answered—Pippen over Jordan?—and someone finally asked why.

"Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen added. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

It's not to say Pippen wished he hadn't played with Jordan. But they never were truly close; they were fierce competitors who never wanted to be second. Though Jordan is on hand to help judge the dunk contest Saturday, they haven't spoken lately.

As for Pippen's quest, he appears to be in terrific condition and knows today's players and game well. But he also understands his time could be past.

"I'm not betting on it, anyway," Pippen said. "If nothing falls the right way I won't be returning, and that's OK."

But he would like one more chance again to get to that final game. Maybe just because Jordan returned and couldn't.

All-Star media day is like the NFL's with all sorts of ancillary media and entertainment reporters. One guy came up to Pippen and showed him a Jordan rookie trading card, saying it was the 20th anniversary and asking if Pippen had one.

Pippen looked at him curiously and evenly said no. The guy asked then if Pippen collected anything.

"Championship rings," Pippen said.

Would one more be enough for Pippen's serenity? He'd like to find out.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-18-2007, 05:40 PM
:lol Great, another old fella trying to jump on a championship bandwagon. It never works (eg Malone, Finley, Payton (till he had a 2nd crack at it))

The Heat aren't repeating as champs this year anyway i guess.

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
:lol Great, another old fella trying to jump on a championship bandwagon. It never works (eg Malone, Finley, Payton (till he had a 2nd crack at it))

The Heat aren't repeating as champs this year anyway i guess.
Why not because of their record we will finish top5 at worst

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-18-2007, 05:59 PM
I guess anything is possible when you have Dwhistle on your team

schadenfreude52
02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I guess anything is possible when you have Dwhistle on your team

:lol So true.

mavs>spurs2
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
lol at "dwhistle"

Fabbs
02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
"The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward, shocked pause after Pippen answered—Pippen over Jordan?—and someone finally asked why.

"Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen added. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

What idiotic egotistical comments. Hey Pipsqueak, think Jordan was an "all-around player"?

mavs>spurs2
02-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Lol wow what a cocky bastard what coach would rather have him than Jordan? And how does he figure that he was a better all around player than Jordan when MJ was the best all around player ever.

Trainwreck2100
02-18-2007, 07:07 PM
considering how he did crap w/o Jordan that;s just stupid

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I guess anything is possible when you have Dwade on your team
yea i know

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
It won't make a bit of difference. Looking at the East I think Detroit will be making thier way to either Dallas,Phoenix or San Antonio for the Finals.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Great I hope the heat sign him. Prince will light him up.

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Great I hope the heat sign him. Prince will light him up.

With him or without him Detroit will still beat DWhistle and the Heat.

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Great I hope the heat sign him. Prince will light him up. most of the time we will probally play posey or wright on him

mavsfan1000
02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Any point for the Heat to have 6 forwards. Only 2 can play at a time.

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
With him or without him Detroit will still beat DWhistle and the Heat.
You talk a lot of shit for a team that hasn't won a ring yet

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
most of the time we will probally play posey or wright on him

Yeah the same 2 players he lit up last year in the ECF for career highs in scoring.

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
You talk a lot of shit for a team that hasn't won a ring yet

If we had DWhistle we would have won one by now. Enjoy your one hit wonder championship team. :lol

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
If we had DWhistle we would have won one by now. Enjoy your one hit wonder championship team. :lol
no instead you guys are getting your asses beat the wcf aganist spurs ass whoppin wcf aganist the mavs they shoulda beat you in 5 but the refs help you guys win game 1 so good luck this year getting your asses beat by the mavs,spurs,rockets or lakers

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
no instead you guys are getting your asses beat the wcf aganist spurs ass whoppin wcf aganist the mavs they shoulda beat you in 5 but the refs help you guys win game 1 so good luck this year getting your asses beat by the mavs,spurs,rockets or lakers

This is ironic a Heat fan saying the refs help the Suns win a playoff game. I can see you still can't write to save your life.

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
This is ironic a Heat fan saying the refs help the Suns win a playoff game. I can see you still can't write to save your life.
I can see your still gay you know what just shut up and win a ring and then talk until then i will just ignore you

P-O-Z
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah the same 2 players he lit up last year in the ECF for career highs in scoring.
wow your a complete dumbass wright didnt even play last year in the ecf dumbass

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 10:13 PM
wow your a complete dumbass wright didnt even play last year in the ecf dumbass

I thought you were ignoring me. BTW Prince scored career highs of 24 and 29 in Games 2 and 5. Why don't you go back to the Heat message board? The other bandwaggoners are waiting for you.

Amare_32
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I can see your still gay you know what just shut up and win a ring and then talk until then i will just ignore you

Is that even a sentence?

confined
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
the heat are like a retirment center for old washed up players....payton, jones, posey, walker, and now pippen...please, please

leemajors
02-19-2007, 12:45 AM
i guess the psc isn't aware that click in that context is spelled clique.

leemajors
02-19-2007, 12:46 AM
the heat are like a retirment center for old washed up players....payton, jones, posey, walker, and now pippen...please, please

in all fairness, the retirement center did win it all last year, you don't have much room to talk.

z0sa
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
"I know that, but I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

What a fucking retard. Pippen was a very good player in his own right, but never, NEVER could he compare himself to His Airness, the greatest player ever to play the game of basketball.

Every GM and Coach in the league wants an MJ over a scottie, 100% of the time. If he comes back into the league he will have the same role he always did - riding some much better player's coattails to a possible championship.

PaceMonster
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I thought you were ignoring me. BTW Prince scored career highs of 24 and 29 in Games 2 and 5. Why don't you go back to the Heat message board? The other bandwaggoners are waiting for you.

wow career highs of 24 and 29.....thats Jordan in the making.

Flopper
02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
There should be only one 41 year old player left, and he's with the Rockets.

What is the NBA becoming? a retirement center?

Purple & Gold
02-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I really don't see how Pippen will help them. Unless they want him to lend some sort of player/coach type help. And even then I doubt he would be good at that. He's always been portrayed as a real ass.

Flopper
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Scottie Quitten will just whine and ruin Heat's chemistry in the end if he goes there.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Scottie Quitten will just whine and ruin Heat's chemistry in the end if he goes there.

they don't have chemistry only wade and the refs do

Flopper
02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
they don't have chemistry only wade and the refs do

ah alright then. Quitten will just whine and ruin the chemistry between Wade and refs. :rolleyes

cheguevara
02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Pippen is old as fuck. He'll be lucky not to break his knees after the first rebound

Amare_32
02-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Now there is talk that the Heat are interested in Cassell. Is that even a good idea? I mean 2 aliens on the same team. How will Walker react?