PDA

View Full Version : Chargers to hire Norv Turner?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Good luck with that, San Diego...

-----

Sources: Chargers will hire Turner as next head coach
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner has agreed in principle to become the San Diego Chargers' next coach, sources told ESPN.com.

In addition to the Turner hiring, longtime league assistant coach Ted Cottrell will meet early this week with San Diego officials which should result in the Chargers hiring Cottrell as the club's new defensive coordinator.

Cottrell, who worked in the NFL office in 2006, has extensive experience with the 3-4 defense that San Diego used last season.

Turner is one of six candidates to have interviewed for the position. The other known head coach candidates -- Gary Gibbs (New Orleans), Mike Zimmer (Atlanta), Mike Singletary (San Francisco), Ron Rivera (Chicago) and Rex Ryan (Baltimore) -- are all coaches whose expertise is on the defensive side. All but Singletary are current coordinators.

Turner has twice previously been a head coach in the league. Cottrell has interviewed in the past for head coach positions, and came very close to landing the top job in San Francisco four years ago.

San Diego officials prefer to retain a 3-4 defense, the scheme for which the personnel is best suited, and hiring Cottrell would permit that. Cottrell was actually recommended to Schottenheimer by Smith when then-Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as their new head coach.

Marty Schottenheimer instead leaned toward hiring his younger brother, Kurt Schottenheimer, as the replacement for Phillips. In addition to Marty Schottenheimer, the Chargers, who posted an NFL-best 14-2 record in 2006 but were ousted in the divisional round of the playoffs, have lost five assistant coaches since the end of the season. That includes both coordinators.

Cottrell, 59, possesses 22 seasons of NFL experience as an assistant coach, including three stints as a defensive coordinator. He most recently worked as coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings (2004-2005). Cottrell lost his job when the Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after the 2005 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771126

mardigan
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

TheTruth
02-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh man, they went from the worst playoff coaches of all time to a terrible head coach period. :smokin

Melmart1
02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
San Diego Chargers: Bridging the gap between the AFC and NFC since 2007.

Fillmoe
02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
this is so fucking gay....... where we gonna find a sick ass OC like turner?

Fabbs
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
say it aint so.
Sainity this is the only candidate i did not want them to hire.
Unless it was as OC.

mardigan
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Game over man....game over

Coach
02-19-2007, 03:02 PM
The way this team is built, I could take them to the Superbowl. The hiring makes perfect sense. Turner was the one who designed this offense, why wouldn't they hire him? Rivers will flourish under Turner just like every other QB who's been coached by him.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I was hoping for Denny Green, but Turner is almost as good.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Everything the Chargers touch turns to gold.

NorCal510
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
not my penis

ShoogarBear
02-19-2007, 04:52 PM
By November they will be begging Marty to come back.

ShoogarBear
02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
And sweet, now I guess we know where Steve Spurrier will coach next.

02-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking Marty Morningweg. He is considered a great OC too.

I hope it doesn't get too windy in SD.

:lol

Slinkyman
02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
norv turner's head coaching record: 58-82-1 (.415) :lol

Extra Stout
02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Stay classy, San Diego.

dallaskd
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
and to think he almost came to dallas

Fillmoe
02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
motherfucking son of a bitch........ 3 years in the league for alex smith and this will be his 3rd system he has to learn....... fucking great

dallaskd
02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
hes not that great anyway.

mardigan
02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
He will help with the offense, but that didnt really need help. Chargers d was shit before Phillips got there

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Chargers d was shit before Phillips got thereChargers D was shit because they lacked personnel.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
He will help with the offense, but that didnt really need help. Chargers d was shit before Phillips got there

Cottrell has a better record than Wade Phillips. Cottrell's defenses were ranked higher than Wade Phillips.

You were saying? From what I'm reading, Cottrell could be one of the best, if not the best 3-4 guy in the league right now.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
What they have to say about Norv Turner...

Chargers QB Philip Rivers – “I am excited about Coach Turner and what he will bring to our team. In a brief visit with him today, I left excited. I’m anxious to begin working with him to bring a championship to San Diego.”

Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson – “I am very excited to work with Norv. We have a great relationship. Norv is a perfect fit for our team. He will know exactly what to do with our team.”

Chargers DT Jamal Williams – “It’s going to be exciting for all of us. He’s going to give a lot of energy to the players. I’m looking forward to having him back again in San Diego.”

Former Dallas QB Troy Aikman – “I would say that everyone knows that we’re pretty close friends. I paid him the highest honor that I could last year when I asked him to present me in the Hall of Fame. He had a tremendous impact on my career. I think he’s an outstanding football coach. I think circumstances have kept him from having more success at some of the places he’s been. I anticipate that he’s going to be a great fit for the San Diego Chargers. I got to believe that Philip Rivers is awfully excited about the hiring and also LaDainian Tomlinson. I think that if you look at Norv over the years and what he’s been able to do for quarterbacks and what he’s meant to a number of quarterbacks, not just myself but Brad Johnson and Trent Green just to name a couple is a testament to his abilities. He’s also done a heck of a job with some running backs. He has had a number of guys who have had rushing titles…last year Frank Gore winning the NFC rushing title. I think it will be business as usual for the Chargers offense.”

Former Washington QB Brad Johnson – On what Norv brings to the Chargers - “Norv is a very hands-on coach. He’s very approachable and communicates great with all the players and on an individual basis. He’ll have these guys ready on game day. He finds a way to make you better as a player. It’s an awesome opportunity for everyone in the organization.”

On what Norv will provide for Philip Rivers - “The good thing for Philip is that he’s already used to the system in a sense with the terminology and the number digits. Philip is a smart guy so he will pick up on it quick. Norv will get you back quick on your drop. He’ll make you decisive and get the ball down the field. He has a great feel for the game. Some of these guys are copycat coaches. Norv has a great feel for it.”

49ers QB Trent Dilfer - “I think it was a great hire by the Chargers. He’s going to do a great job as the head football coach there. He’s got experience and has proven that he can do a good job. Now that he has inherited a good football team and a good front office, the sky is the limit.

“Norv is great to play for because he’s a very good teacher of football. He’s not arrogant in his approach to the game. He’s constantly evolving and learning, which you can’t say about a lot of coaches. On game day, he can flat out call plays. He knows what it takes to win. He knows what it takes to develop personnel and get the most out of people. All of those things together, he’s one of the finest football coaches I’ve ever been around.

“I would say that I learned more with Norv last year than in my previous 12 years in the league. The Chargers’ gain is the 49ers’ loss. San Diego is getting a great guy and a great coach.”

ducks
02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
who else could they get this late?
hire nov now
he is great for the o
then land bill cowher next year and demote nov to the o coridinator if things do not work out

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHARGERS

ShoogarBear
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Serious question: If Norv goes 10-6 and loses in the first round of the playoffs, does San Diego have to fire him? What are the expectations here?

ducks
02-19-2007, 10:48 PM
chargers will go 12-4 at the worse

ducks
02-19-2007, 10:49 PM
expections are atleast the afc championship game
anything else is wrong

Vinnie_Johnson
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Nice hire Norv lmao that is all they could get. Great plan chargers.

Fabbs
02-20-2007, 01:52 AM
"Continuity" as much as possible.
I'm liking it now that the plan has been explained.
Norv is the one who implemented the offense Cam Cameron used for the last 5 seasons. Except we all know that MartyBall repressed that offense for 4 of those 5 seasons. Once opened up, recordbreaking.

So Norv will simply continue last years offense. D Co-or will be longtime D coach Tedd Cotrell. It will almost be like two head coaches, Norv overseeing the O and Tedd the D.

Players will have the same playbook, no need to learn new system. Many Chargers players interviewed said happy for that.

Plus we got linebackers coach Ron Rivera from the Bears.

:hungry: Bring on 2007-8 season.
Bottom line this won't be settled until the '07-8 playoffs.

Slinkyman
02-20-2007, 05:55 AM
expections are atleast the afc championship game
anything else is wrong

how the fuck can you expect to be somewhere you haven't been since 95?

TheSanityAnnex
02-20-2007, 06:01 AM
"Continuity" as much as possible.
I'm liking it now that the plan has been explained.
Norv is the one who implemented the offense Cam Cameron used for the last 5 seasons. Except we all know that MartyBall repressed that offense for 4 of those 5 seasons. Once opened up, recordbreaking.

So Norv will simply continue last years offense. D Co-or will be longtime D coach Tedd Cotrell. It will almost be like two head coaches, Norv overseeing the O and Tedd the D.

Players will have the same playbook, no need to learn new system. Many Chargers players interviewed said happy for that.

Plus we got linebackers coach Ron Rivera from the Bears.

:hungry: Bring on 2007-8 season.
Bottom line this won't be settled until the '07-8 playoffs.

Exactly.

Everyone talking shit on the hiring of Turner doesn't see the whole picture. The dude orchestrated this offensive scheme they've been running. Ron Rivera was a steal.

Chagus
02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Good luck with that, San Diego...

-----

Sources: Chargers will hire Turner as next head coach
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner has agreed in principle to become the San Diego Chargers' next coach, sources told ESPN.com.

In addition to the Turner hiring, longtime league assistant coach Ted Cottrell will meet early this week with San Diego officials which should result in the Chargers hiring Cottrell as the club's new defensive coordinator.

Cottrell, who worked in the NFL office in 2006, has extensive experience with the 3-4 defense that San Diego used last season.

Turner is one of six candidates to have interviewed for the position. The other known head coach candidates -- Gary Gibbs (New Orleans), Mike Zimmer (Atlanta), Mike Singletary (San Francisco), Ron Rivera (Chicago) and Rex Ryan (Baltimore) -- are all coaches whose expertise is on the defensive side. All but Singletary are current coordinators.

Turner has twice previously been a head coach in the league. Cottrell has interviewed in the past for head coach positions, and came very close to landing the top job in San Francisco four years ago.

San Diego officials prefer to retain a 3-4 defense, the scheme for which the personnel is best suited, and hiring Cottrell would permit that. Cottrell was actually recommended to Schottenheimer by Smith when then-Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as their new head coach.

Marty Schottenheimer instead leaned toward hiring his younger brother, Kurt Schottenheimer, as the replacement for Phillips. In addition to Marty Schottenheimer, the Chargers, who posted an NFL-best 14-2 record in 2006 but were ousted in the divisional round of the playoffs, have lost five assistant coaches since the end of the season. That includes both coordinators.

Cottrell, 59, possesses 22 seasons of NFL experience as an assistant coach, including three stints as a defensive coordinator. He most recently worked as coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings (2004-2005). Cottrell lost his job when the Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after the 2005 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771126

Norv inherited a great team. They should have a wicked offence with Norv at the helm. Little things like game management might kill them.

TheSanityAnnex
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Marty would have run LT into the ground in a few years like he has every other running back who's played for him. LT just got his NFL life extended.

Pugglekicker_21
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
You're right about that . Fucking Martyball. But I can't believe they also got Rivera as well! What made him want to degrade to a lower post?

ShoogarBear
02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
The way I heard the Rivera story.

Bears offered Rivera an extension. Rivera wanted to interview for a head coaching job. Rivera interviewed and didn't get one, so then he went back to the Bears and said, hey, I want that extension now and a huge raise. Bears said take a hike.

ShoogarBear
02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
So if Norv goes 12-4 and loses the first playoff game, he stays?

Slinkyman
02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Jerry Rice: Norv Turner 'Had No Control' Over Raiders

Add Jerry Rice to the long list of people who think the San Diego Chargers' decision to hire Norv Turner was a bad idea. On a radio appearance this morning, Rice said Turner was a good offensive coordinator, but that he lacked the motivational skills necessary to be a head coach.

"He could not motivate the players," Rice said. "He had no control."

Rice played for the Raiders in both of Turner's years as the team's head coach, and it's possible that he has an ax to grind: Turner kept Rice planted firmly on the bench in 2004, leading to Rice leaving for Seattle after four games. Still, in all of his stops Rice was known for showing respect to his coaches, and a coach who gets called out by Rice probably leaves something to be desired.

At this point, does anyone think the Chargers made the right move by firing Schottenheimer and hiring Turner? Anyone other than A.J. Smith, I mean?

link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/20/jerry-rice-norv-turner-had-no-control-over-raiders/)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

tlongII
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
The Chargers hired Turner because they are cheap.

TheSanityAnnex
02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Turner is basically coming into the exact same situations Bellichick and Shanahan came into. Both Bellichick and Shanahan were headcoaches for shitty teams that compiled shitty records. When each was finally given a team with talent, their previous shitty records meant nothing. You of all people should recognize this Slinkyman, you are a Broncos fan correct? What were your feelings when Shanahan and his stellar record were hired to coach your team?

If Turner was such an awful coach, how come neither of the teams he's left have gotten any better, and only gotten worse? At some point, you have to realize that a coach can't win without talent on the roster. Turner finally has it, and he has it with an offensive scheme he created. The Chargers will be scary good next year.

TheSanityAnnex
02-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Rice played for the Raiders in both of Turner's years as the team's head coach, and it's possible that he has an ax to grind: Turner kept Rice planted firmly on the bench in 2004, leading to Rice leaving for Seattle after four games.
Actually, Rice was only there for Turner's first year. So Rice is basing this off of four whole games? :rolleyes

02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Cottrell has a better record than Wade Phillips. Cottrell's defenses were ranked higher than Wade Phillips.

You were saying? From what I'm reading, Cottrell could be one of the best, if not the best 3-4 guy in the league right now.

Wait...what? The same Cottrell who needed Foge Fazio(Tice called him a defensive consultant) to come in off the street and help him out in Minny?

The guy was a flat out disaster in Minny. He couldn't communicate to his players, had horrible game plans(Smoot singled on S. Smith), etc. He leaves and they improve dramatically.

How did he do with the Jets? Face it, they guy had a good run in Buffalo and that's about it. It helps that Wade was his boss, don't you think?

Do the best 3-4 guys usually not have a coaching job the year prior?

Slinkyman
02-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Turner is basically coming into the exact same situations Bellichick and Shanahan came into. Both Bellichick and Shanahan were headcoaches for shitty teams that compiled shitty records. When each was finally given a team with talent, their previous shitty records meant nothing. You of all people should recognize this Slinkyman, you are a Broncos fan correct? What were your feelings when Shanahan and his stellar record were hired to coach your team?

If Turner was such an awful coach, how come neither of the teams he's left have gotten any better, and only gotten worse? At some point, you have to realize that a coach can't win without talent on the roster. Turner finally has it, and he has it with an offensive scheme he created. The Chargers will be scary good next year.

i can't believe you just compared norv turner to mike shanahan and bill belichick. :lol

first it's not the same situation, mike and bill took over teams that weren't playoff teams and within 2 years made them into super bowl contenders. The chargers are already contenders at this point.

second shanahan didn't even get a shot with the raiders as he was fired after 4 games in his 2nd season there while norv was with washington for a long time and they sucked every year he was there. That raiders team he coached was only 2 years removed from the superbowl so it's not like they didn't have talent on the roster.

02-21-2007, 07:40 AM
And both Belichick and Shanny had success in their second stints, not their third.

TSA, you'll be calling for Cottrell's head by mid-season. The guy plays it safe and rarely, if ever, blitzes. Add that to a weak secondary, as of now, and you have a recipe for disaster.

You'll learn to loathe the "bend, but don't break" mantra...

johnsmith
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't like the hire, but after looking at their options, it seems this is the best they could have done.

Having said that, while the Chargers were 14-2 this last season, they did have some close games and some comeback games. Those games were won by coaching and good play calling. I don't think Norv can do that.

We will certainly see, but my early prediction is 11-5 with a first round playoff loss.

TheSanityAnnex
02-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Ya'll be riding the Chargers bandwagon AGAIN next season. And this time, we won't have the playoff curse.

MajorMike
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
No curse, just Norv. That is curse enough.

TheSanityAnnex
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Having said that, while the Chargers were 14-2 this last season, they did have some close games and some comeback games. Those games were won by coaching and good play calling. I don't think Norv can do that.

Those games were won by Rivers and Tomlinson.

TheTruth
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Shannahan had one season with the Raiders. ONE. Turner has failed in multiple seasons with multiple teams. The Chargers shoud still be a good team next year. But with a First place schedule and the turnover of almost the entire coaching staff, they shouldn't be in the championship hunt.

TheTruth
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Ya'll be riding the Chargers bandwagon AGAIN next season. And this time, we won't have the playoff curse.
Not a curse my man. Just a bad franchise history.

TheSanityAnnex
02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
But with a First place schedule and the turnover of almost the entire coaching staff, they shouldn't be in the championship hunt.Did they turn over half their roster or something? This team is still a Championship contender, and the hiring of Turner, Cottrell, and Rivera while still keeping the continuity of the offensive and defensive systems is quite incredible. The Chargers could have quite possibly upgraded. We'll have to wait and see.

ShoogarBear
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
LMAO. Got to hand it to TSA. He has opted to let his loyalty overrule his head.

timvp
02-22-2007, 07:57 PM
The Chargers go from a guy who can't coach in the playoffs to a guy who can't coach.

Classic.

TheSanityAnnex
02-23-2007, 06:07 AM
LMAO. Got to hand it to TSA. He has opted to let his loyalty overrule his head.
That's what everyone said before the start of last season when I said Rivers would be the shit. Ya'll never listen. :rolleyes

TheSanityAnnex
02-23-2007, 02:02 PM
But with a First place schedule and the turnover of almost the entire coaching staff, they shouldn't be in the championship hunt.

Home
KC
Oakland
Denver
Houston
Indy
Chicago
Detriot
Baltimore

Away
KC
Oakland
Denver
Jax
Ten
Green Bay
Minnesota
New England

I like the looks of this schedule.

09-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Ahem:

TSA, you'll be calling for Cottrell's head by mid-season. The guy plays it safe and rarely, if ever, blitzes. Add that to a weak secondary, as of now, and you have a recipe for disaster.

You'll learn to loathe the "bend, but don't break" mantra...

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Another great bump.

peewee's lovechild
09-30-2007, 09:09 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Fillmoe
09-30-2007, 09:22 PM
how about the chargers fire norv and the niners pick him back up as their OC