PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hidalgo returns to Astros

Spurminator
02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Minor League deal... Not sure how old this is since I got it from Astros Daily (http://www.astrosdaily.com). Guess it's good to have some added (and cheap) insurance if Lane sucks again, but I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll be any more relevant than Sammy Sosa this year.

Richard Hidalgo signs minor league deal

(c) Houston Astros

The Houston Astros inked former standout Richard Hidalgo to a minor league deal Friday. If he makes the major league club, Hidalgo stands to make the minimum $850,000, and up to $2.5M in incentives.
Doggy had a cannon arm in right field, nailing runners at the plate with regularity. His breakout season of 2000 (.314/44/122) led to unrealistic hopes.

Though he was Houston's 2003 MVP, he gained weight and never lived up to expectations thereafter, leading to his mid-season trade to the Mets in 2004. Hitting just .221 for the Arlington Rangers in 2005, Hidalgo did not play in the majors in 2006.

In winter ball, Doggy hit .273/9/27 for Magellanes in his native Venezuela in 2006.

This writer hopes Hidalgo regains his old form and makes the club. However, he would add to an already overcrowded outfield where Luke Scott deserves a shot. If Hidalgo does well, say goodbye to Jason Lane.

-- submitted by Darrell Pittman

leemajors
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
it was understood this would happen a while ago, but he did sign in the last 2 weeks or so. hidlago does have a cannon, but hopefully he dropped some weight and can hit.