PDA

View Full Version : I hope Duncan & co read this

lefty
02-19-2007, 03:39 PM
to get some motivation :hungry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2771021

30 games to go, 13 things to know

1. The Dallas Mavericks, in case you'd forgotten, are 30-2 in their last 32 games.

But that's not all.

The Mavs also have the fourth-highest overall winning percentage, at .830, of any team at the All-Star break since 1980.

Why is that significant?

Besides establishing Dirk Nowitzki as the MVP favorite in a two-man race entering the stretch run -- ahead of two-time reigning MVP and good buddy Steve Nash -- it's worth noting that the only three teams in that span with a higher winning percentage at this juncture all went on to win the championship.

As did the team in fifth right behind Dallas.

The list:

• 1995-96 Bulls (42-5, .894)
• 1996-97 Bulls (42-6, .875)
• 1982-83 76ers (43-7, .860)
• 2006-07 Mavericks (44-9, .830)
• 1985-86 Celtics (38-8, .826)

LEONARD
02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
:ihit

Viva Las Espuelas
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
It would be nice if every team played the same amount of games up until the ASG. So this comment "The Mavs also have the fourth-highest overall winning percentage, at .830, of any team at the All-Star break since 1980." holds no water with me. Detroit was 44-9(.830) last year and where are they? Stein just had to meet his column quota. Enough of this stat masturbatory forum. Here's to the rest of the season!

dbestpro
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
to get some motivation :hungry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2771021

30 games to go, 13 things to know

1. The Dallas Mavericks, in case you'd forgotten, are 30-2 in their last 32 games.

But that's not all.

The Mavs also have the fourth-highest overall winning percentage, at .830, of any team at the All-Star break since 1980.

Why is that significant?

Besides establishing Dirk Nowitzki as the MVP favorite in a two-man race entering the stretch run -- ahead of two-time reigning MVP and good buddy Steve Nash -- it's worth noting that the only three teams in that span with a higher winning percentage at this juncture all went on to win the championship.

As did the team in fifth right behind Dallas.

The list:

• 1995-96 Bulls (42-5, .894)
• 1996-97 Bulls (42-6, .875)
• 1982-83 76ers (43-7, .860)
• 2006-07 Mavericks (44-9, .830)
• 1985-86 Celtics (38-8, .826)

That just goes to show how low the quality of basketball is this year. Maybe the question should be, Can you name an NBA champion in the last twenty years that this mav team could beat. You can't do it and keep a straight face.

ArgSpursFan
02-19-2007, 04:49 PM
That just goes to show how low the quality of basketball is this year. Maybe the question should be, Can you name an NBA champion in the last twenty years that this mav team could beat. You can't do it and keep a straight face.

Last year Mavs beated the spurs cause of a bad faul.I don´t think they´ll be lucky enough this year also.They had there chance last year and did let it go.

Clutch20
02-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Lefty, Lefty, Lefty......last team standing at the final buzzer wins it all and then has a summertime parade. You'll get to have a chance to achieve that, but nothing more than a chance, after this '07 run is over, it's over.
San Antonio's riverparade committee runs it's celebrations very smoothly having had some experience conducting championship parades.
They're always on standby..............
every year.........
this year too

SoCalSpursFan
02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I've got to give it to lefty. I like the sticker pic under his name. Pretty money.

LEONARD
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
It would be nice if every team played the same amount of games up until the ASG. So this comment "The Mavs also have the fourth-highest overall winning percentage, at .830, of any team at the All-Star break since 1980." holds no water with me. Detroit was 44-9(.830) last year and where are they? Stein just had to meet his column quota. Enough of this stat masturbatory forum. Here's to the rest of the season!

44-9 in the East isn't as impressive as 44-9 in the West...

Last year Mavs beated the spurs cause of a bad faul.I don´t think they´ll be lucky enough this year also.They had there chance last year and did let it go.

Good point...the Mavs have clearly dropped off some this season...

I think the Mavs can beated anybody this season...

Last year's Heat... *straight face*

How do you KNOW this year's Mavs couldn't beat a champ from the past 20 yrs? That's your opinion, and pure speculation. Weak attempt at taking away from the quality of the Mavs also...weak...

lefty
02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
I've got to give it to lefty. I like the sticker pic under his name. Pretty money.

Agloco
02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
44-9 in the East isn't as impressive as 44-9 in the West...

Good point...the Mavs have clearly dropped off some this season...

I think the Mavs can beated anybody this season...

Last year's Heat... *straight face*

How do you KNOW this year's Mavs couldn't beat a champ from the past 20 yrs? That's your opinion, and pure speculation. Weak attempt at taking away from the quality of the Mavs also...weak...

We just do..........

I have every confidence that this postseason will be just like all the rest:

The playoffs are like a cold swimming pool for Dirk, his nutsack shrivels up and he suffers from shrinkage throughout.

Only the big boys are left standing at the end and after that stunt the Mavs pulled in last years finals they don't deserve another shot. Too much shrinkage on that team :lol :lol

mavs>spurs2
02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
We just do..........

The playoffs are like a cold swimming pool for Dirk, his nutsack shrivels up and he suffers from shrinkage throughout.

Only the big boys are left standing at the end and after that stunt the Mavs pulled in last years finals they don't deserve another shot. Too much shrinkage on that team :lol :lol

Great analogy. I guess that means Manu doesn't even have a penis then.

Dirk Nowitzki
02-19-2007, 06:15 PM
We just do..........

:blah :blah I hope you guys are lucky enough to win round 1.

wildbill2u
02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Talking down the league-leading Mavs doesn't make much sense when our own site is full of posts about how poorly we're playing.

Also, if you keep denying the Mavs or other teams like Phoenix are any good, then it won't be as sweet if we should beat them and win the NBA championship.

td4mvp21
02-19-2007, 06:30 PM

That's an ignorant statement considering what all he's won.

LEONARD
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
We just do..........

Dirk didn't lose it for the Mavs in that series...the whole team went to hell, including Avery. People forget the ridiculous shot Dirk hit in game 5 that would've been the game winner had the Heat not come back and scored on Wade's FT's...

They're playing with a chip on their shoulder because of it this season. It's pretty clear to anybody that's paying attention that this is a different team this season...

Talking down the league-leading Mavs doesn't make much sense when our own site is full of posts about how poorly we're playing.

Also, if you keep denying the Mavs or other teams like Phoenix are any good, then it won't be as sweet if we should beat them and win the NBA championship.

:lol

So true...

Agloco
02-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Thats rich.

It's funny how regular season success has all of a sudden validated the Mavs place in the annals of NBA lore.

Next time I pass the trophy case at American Airlines I'll be sure to drop in a penny for good luck.

Oh that's right, there isn't one. Perhaps I'll just drop it into the shitter and flush it, just like the Mavs do every postseason............... :donkey

Agloco
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM

I agree that the Mavs are playing in a zone right now. Very solid indeed.

The entire point to my posts were to stress the fact that its not simply about showing up, it's about when you show up.......

The Champoinship banners at American Airlines are a clear indicator of when the Mavericks show up. Lots of Midwest Division banners, but little else.

confined
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
ok i dont kno what everyone is talking about, but the suns and mavs are so much better than every team in the league its not even funny

Dirk Nowitzki
02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
ok i dont kno what everyone is talking about, but the suns and mavs are so much better than every team in the league its not even funny

THANK YOU! The west boils down to the Mavs and Suns!!

mikejones99
02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
fucking dallas people are still insane

ponky
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
wgaf? let's hope the spurs do get some motivation, i'm tired of all this whining and i wouldn't care if the spurs get back to form, it will make for some nice playoff games... it won't affect the mavs either way, they'll just do continue doing their thing and i have enough confidence in them to not worry if other teams step up their game

td4mvp21
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know why a lot of Spurs fans are so set on the Mavs choking....new season bitches, they aren't guaranteed to do a damn thing. As much as I admire the fact that our history includes three rings, what did that do for us last year? Absolutely nothing, just as history does not always foretell the outcome. We should be hoping the Spurs can get enough together to challenge them and the Suns, because both teams are hella good and if they make it out of the West, they're probably bringing home the championship.

Louie Vega
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

You mavs fans are fucken stupid!!!!! Manu has 2 rings and a gold medal dipshit !!!!

Leetonidas
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Um, Manu may have made a bad foul on that one play, but he hit the three before it, played like a monster in the 2005 playoffs, and turned the game around in Game 6 of the Finals in 2003 during the 4th quarter. He never choked ala Dirk in Finals '06.

ponky
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know why a lot of Spurs fans are so set on the Mavs choking....new season bitches, they aren't guaranteed to do a damn thing. As much as I admire the fact that our history includes three rings, what did that do for us last year? Absolutely nothing, just as history does not always foretell the outcome. We should be hoping the Spurs can get enough together to challenge them and the Suns, because both teams are hella good and if they make it out of the West, they're probably bringing home the championship.

good post, this is also the reason i'm not about to call the season for the mavs, bash the spurs' playoff prospects, discount the rockets, etc etc etc. i can enjoy the season right now because it's pretty fun to watch but this won't mean shit come late april, barring any injuries to the major players on the major teams, several outcomes are possible

hitmanyr2k
02-19-2007, 09:36 PM

That's crap :lol

When is the last time the Spurs or Mavericks blew each other out of the gym? Just about every game comes down to the wire. A lucky bounce here, a dumb mistake there is the difference between a win and a loss with both teams. The Mavs do a much better job of taking care of the lesser teams in the NBA (hence the better record) but when it comes to matching up with the Spurs the gap isn't big at all.

td4mvp21
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
good post, this is also the reason i'm not about to call the season for the mavs, bash the spurs' playoff prospects, discount the rockets, etc etc etc. i can enjoy the season right now because it's pretty fun to watch but this won't mean shit come late april, barring any injuries to the major players on the major teams, several outcomes are possible

Well I think it's stupid for us to count on the Mavs choking or injuries. That's pretty sad :lol.

Louie Vega
02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
That's crap :lol

When is the last time the Spurs or Mavericks blew each other out of the gym? Just about every game comes down to the wire. A lucky bounce here, a dumb mistake there is the difference between a win and a loss with both teams. The Mavs do a much better job of taking care of the lesser teams in the NBA (hence the better record) but when it comes to matching up with the Spurs the gap isn't big at all.

mavs fans don't want to hear that! LOL

ponky
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
mavs fans don't want to hear that! LOL

why not? if this wasn't the case, i wouldn't get so excited about the matchup between the spurs/mavs anymore, don't be ridiculous

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Mavfan. Enjoying the NBA Playoffs since the Spring of 2006.

Louie Vega
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Well I think it's stupid for us to count on the Mavs choking........

They have a history of doing it dumbshit! Where else would Spurs fans get that idea from? We aren't making this shit up you know? The mavs had one of the biggest meltdowns in NBA history! Asshat!

td4mvp21
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
They have a history of doing it dumbshit! Where else would Spurs fans get that idea from? We aren't making this shit up you know? The mavs had one of the biggest meltdowns in NBA history! Asshat!

I'm fully aware of that, that doesn't mean it's going to happen again. We have a history of winning titles-so I guess we are going to win won every year the rest of the Spurs future? :donkey

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2007, 09:46 PM

The same could be said of the Spurs, despite their championships. After all, this is the franchise that has authored .4 and the Manu foul at the end of Game 7.

The ultimate point is that relying on anything the 2006 Mavericks did to understand what the 2007 Mavericks might do is a bit like saying that the 1999 Spurs had no chance to win because the 1998 Spurs didn't get it done against Utah.

Louie Vega
02-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm not relying on the fucken mavs for a damn thing! The Spurs and their fans know damn well that they dug themselves this hole and now they got to dig their way out!

Despot
02-19-2007, 11:59 PM

I seem to remember alot of heartbreak I have suffered due to the Spurs choking. Spurs had a pretty big meltdown as well.....albeit not during the Finals..

RC's Boss
02-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Dirk didn't lose it for the Mavs in that series...the whole team went to hell, including Avery. People forget the ridiculous shot Dirk hit in game 5 that would've been the game winner had the Heat not come back and scored on Wade's FT's...

They're playing with a chip on their shoulder because of it this season. It's pretty clear to anybody that's paying attention that this is a different team this season...

:lol

So true...
Same chip Detroit had duing the reg season last year. Get ready beyatches :toast