PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin takes over top spot in AP poll

Dre_7
02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-t25-collegebkbpoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wisconsin grabs top spot in Top 25 and sets up 1-2 game with Ohio State

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
February 19, 2007

Get ready for another 1 vs. 2 showdown in the Big Ten -- this time on the hardwood.

Wisconsin was the new No. 1 in The Associated Press Top 25 poll on Monday and Big Ten rival Ohio State was not far behind at No. 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Badgers (26-2, 12-1), on top of the poll for the first time in school history, play the Buckeyes (24-3, 12-1) in Columbus on Sunday -- just a bit more than three months after Ohio State and Michigan played a much-hyped 1 vs. 2 football game at Ohio Stadium.

Florida's 83-70 loss at Vanderbilt on Saturday snapped the Gators' 17-game winning streak and dropped them from the top spot in the media poll for the second time this season.

Wisconsin, which was No. 3 last week, leapfrogged second-ranked Ohio State to become the fourth No. 1 team this season, and 52nd different school to hold the top spot in the history of the AP poll.

For the Badgers and coach Bo Ryan, there's not much time to celebrate their new lofty status, not with a game at Michigan State on Tuesday.

So Ryan held his own 60-second celebration at home, with a big foam "We're No. 1" finger he took from his kids, a party favor and a handful of paper torn into confetti.

"I ran around with the foam finger, blowing the horn and throwing the confetti for about a minute," Ryan said with a laugh. "Then I went back into my office and watched the DVD of a very good Iowa team losing by 30 to Michigan State."

The Badgers received 35 first-place votes and 1,747 points. Ohio State got 31 first-place votes and 1,728 points. No. 3 Florida received four first-place votes and No. 4 UCLA got two.

"I'm really happy for the players and the university," Ryan said. "It says something about the work that's been put in, not just this year but over the years. That's the reward.

"It does make a great statement for the program."

Ohio State has a much easier test before facing Wisconsin, a home game against last-place Penn State on Wednesday.

"Our focus right now is to continue to improve as a team and prepare for our game with Penn State," Buckeyes coach Thad Matta said.

For the Big Ten, it's the second time the league best known for its football has had the top two teams in the AP basketball poll. Michigan was No. 1 and Indiana No. 2 on Nov. 30, 1992.

The last time the same conference had Nos. 1 and 2 was last season, when the Big East had Connecticut at No. 1 and Villanova No. 2 in the second-to-last poll.

The last 1 vs. 2 game was also last season. No. 1 Duke defeated No. 2 Texas 97-66 at the Meadowlands in New Jersey on Dec. 10, 2005.

The Blue Devils returned to the rankings at No. 18 after a one-week absence. A four-game losing streak ended an 11-year run in the Top 25 for Duke. The Blue Devils were ranked in 200 straight polls, the second-longest streak ever.

But last week Duke beat Boston College on the road and Georgia Tech at home and the voters rewarded the Blue Devils.

The bottom of the rankings received a major shake-up as teams ranked 18-25 last week went 3-13.

Vanderbilt, Texas, Louisville, BYU and Virginia also moved into the Top 25. For Louisville, which beat two ranked teams -- Pittsburgh and Marquette -- on the road, and BYU, it's the first time this season they've been ranked. The Cougars haven't been in the Top 25 since March 1993.

Dropping out were Arizona, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Boston College, Indiana and Southern California.

Duke's Atlantic Coast Conference rival and Tobacco Road neighbor, North Carolina, slipped a spot to No. 5 after a 1-1 week. Kansas jumped three spots to No. 6.

Memphis, Texas A&M, Washington State and Pittsburgh rounded out the top 10.

The Badgers and Buckeyes will not only be playing for the No. 1 ranking Sunday, but also for the inside track to a Big Ten regular-season title.

Alando Tucker, who has seven consecutive 20-point games and is a leading candidate for national player of the year, and the Badgers defeated Ohio State 72-69 last month in Madison.

"If there is a player who was ever responsible for his team being ranked No. 1, it's Alando Tucker," Ryan said. "If there is an MVP, it's him."

The Badgers started the season ranked ninth, dipped to 12th and have been on the rise ever since. An experienced team that starts three seniors and two juniors, Wisconsin has already set a school record for victories in a season.

"It's not a bunch of McDonald's All-Americans and five-star recruits," Ryan said. "It's a bunch of guys who paid their dues. This year has been the culmination of a lot of hard work."

The Buckeyes have been in the top 10 all season thanks to one of the best freshmen classes in the country.

Seven-footer Greg Oden leads the team in scoring (15.5) and rebounding (9.5) and is shooting 61 percent from the field with 71 blocked shots in 20 games. Fellow freshmen Mike Conley Jr. (10.1) and Daequan Cook (11.9) combine to average 22 points per game.

No. 11 Nevada leads the second 10 in the Top 25, followed by Georgetown and No. 13 Southern Illinois, which has its highest ranking ever. The Salukis reached No. 15 in March 2004.

Air Force is 14th and Butler, which lost to Southern Illinois on Saturday, dropped two spots to No. 15.

No. 16 Marquette has lost three straight games and slipped four spots.

No. 17 Vanderbilt, Duke, Texas and Louisville round out the top 20.

BYU, West Virginia, Oregon, which fell eight spots to No. 23 after losing twice last week, Virginia and Alabama are the final five.

Updated on Monday, Feb 19, 2007 9:27 pm EST

johngateswhiteley
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
...i don't think either deserve to be in the top 2 spots, but thats how the polls go sometimes. somebody has to move up when teams lose, but it makes for an interesting rematch, i suppose.

NFO
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
That didn't last to long

Dre_7
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
That didn't last to long

Wait til Sunday buddy.

NFO
02-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Wait til Sunday buddy.

I can't wait for Sunday, well I can.

It should be a good game.

johngateswhiteley
02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
neither wisconsin or ohio state deserve to be #1 seeds. i hope they tie...

tlongII
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
neither wisconsin or ohio state deserve to be #1 seeds. i hope they tie...

Really? Who do you think is more deserving?

johngateswhiteley
02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Really? Who do you think is more deserving?

A&M and USC. :lol seriously, though, the Big 10 isn't as good as the Big 12, imo.

so my top seeds would be (in this order):

1. Florida
2. UCLA
3. UNC
4. A&M/Kansas

DarkReign
02-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Wisconsin takes over top spot in AP poll

...and then lose to MSU quite handily. gg

Dre_7
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Wisconsin takes over top spot in AP poll

...and then lose to MSU quite handily. gg

Handily? You must not have watched the game.

Oh well, the 3rd is just around the corner.