PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Ely thrilled to join Spurs, eager to start contributing

Bruno
02-20-2007, 04:12 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022007.05D.spursNOTES.113a559.html

Web Posted: 02/19/2007 10:33 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

While most of the Spurs used the All-Star break to get away for a quick vacation, Melvin Ely figured he'd already had enough time off this season. So he went to work.

Acquired from Charlotte last Wednesday, Ely flew into town as soon as he could and spent the weekend working out in the team's practice facility.

"The (strength) coach kicked my butt the first couple of days and I'm just now getting my legs back," Ely said. "I'm excited to be here and can't wait to go full steam."

How soon Ely gets to go "full steam" remains to be seen. Because Ely hadn't played much with the Bobcats this season, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the team first needs to get him in shape before determining whether he'll be able to contribute.

After Monday evening's practice, the 6-foot-10 Ely played some two-on-two with Jackie Butler, James White and Beno Udrih. Ely said he'll need a week to learn the team's plays and defensive calls and improve his conditioning, but that might be an optimistic estimate.

For now, he's happy for a change of scenery.

After spending his first two years with the Los Angeles Clippers, Ely was acquired by Charlotte before the 2004-05 season. He averaged career bests of 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds last season, which earned him a one-year, $3.3 million contract from the Bobcats. But he's appeared in only 24 games this season, averaging a little more than 10 minutes, and asked to be traded in late December.

When Ely learned of the trade, he said, "I just started smiling."

"I was at home like a kid getting ready for Christmas," said Ely, 28. "I couldn't go to sleep. I'm excited to play for a great team. Who wouldn't want to play for Tim Duncan?

"They have a goal here. I was with the Clippers for two years and we were losing, then I was with an expansion team. But here, they're used to winning and working hard."

Ely has a nice half-hook he can shoot with either hand, which makes him an effective low-post scorer. But his rebounding has been inconsistent — perhaps because of his minutes — and scouts have questioned his defense.

The Spurs made the trade to give them another athletic big man to throw into their current mix. But if Francisco Elson performs consistently and Matt Bonner works his way back into the rotation, there won't be many, if any, minutes available.

Ely isn't a complete stranger to the Spurs. Bruce Bowen used to work out with Ely's Fresno State team in the offseason and Michael Finley knows him from their Chicago ties.

"I just want to help take some pressure off, fit in and hopefully win a ring," Ely said.

Notebook: The Spurs had a lengthy film session before Monday evening's practice. Duncan and Tony Parker, who played in Sunday's All-Star Game, were excused from the workout. ... Bonner, who hasn't played since tearing the medial collateral ligament in his left knee on Jan. 13, is expected to be in uniform tonight.

sghspurs
02-20-2007, 04:23 AM
welcome aboard melvin

mountainballer
02-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Ely said he'll need a week to learn the team's plays and defensive calls and improve his conditioning, but that might be an optimistic estimate.
:lol
wow. he is in fact optimistic. so what will happen in two weeks.
will he push Tim out of the starting lineup?

SpurCapita
02-20-2007, 06:37 AM
"I couldn't go to sleep. I'm excited to play for a great team. Who wouldn't want to play for Tim Duncan?"

Apparently the players are playing for Duncan, not Popovich...or is Ely hinting at something bigger? CIA Melvin?

BIG IRISH
02-20-2007, 07:11 AM
San Antonio, it's time to meet your potential savior.

His name is Melvin Ely, and he toiled in relative obscurity with the Bobcats and Clippers, a former lottery pick heavy on potential and light on production.

This will be Melvin Ely's first opportunity to play for an NBA winner. (Getty Images)
A decade ago, Sports Illustrated called him the nation's most sought-after high school post player. He was a terror at Fresno State, finishing as the school's all-time leading scorer and shot blocker.

For the Spurs, he's just what the doctor ordered. He has the talent to be a difference-maker at center, a position that has been a problem spot. He's a potential spark for a team that needs to regain its swagger.

Tim Duncan needs a tag-team partner. Ely just became the second most talented post player on the squad. Sounds like the perfect marriage, right?

Not so fast.

A highly connected scout once called Ely one of the mysteries of the league, physically blessed but tragically immature. "He just doesn't get it," was one description of Ely. His work ethic and attitude have long been questioned.

At this point, he's a bust. A bust who just received an opportunity for a fresh start.

The Spurs acquired him Tuesday for Eric Williams and a second-round pick in 2009, taking a gamble that a winning, veteran-laden environment will make a difference in Ely's career, helping him reach the potential he obviously has.

He has been coveted before -- by championship contenders, at that. Phoenix was interested in adding him, a move that made a lot of sense given their need for athletic size and the uncertainty about Amare Stoudemire's knees at the start of the season. Other teams certainly took looks, sent scouts over to Charlotte and inquired, if only to make a more informed decision.

Ely issued a trade demand earlier in the season, when it was clear he wouldn't beat out Emeka Okafor and Sean May for playing time. Strangely, it was a very formal, yet friendly request, in which he promised he would handle the situation professionally no matter what transpired.

Now he has a solution, sprung from a losing situation where he wasn't playing to one where he can immediately be counted on to help.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has grown increasingly frustrated with what Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson have been able to provide. In three of their last four losses, the Spurs have been outrebounded by double digits. A 46-31 deficit on the boards in Sunday's loss to the Heat set Popovich off again.
"We're still not playing physical enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. We're just hoping and begging rather than playing our ass off. We were beaten to loose balls, second shots, hard drives, hard cuts. We're too soft." So here comes Ely, who hasn't played more than 23 minutes a game all year, to provide a potential answer. Maybe his arrival will spark Elson and Oberto. Perhaps Ely's first gig with a consistent winner will light a fire under him.

No one said this was a gimme, but he is a potential savior, because San Antonio needs to shake things up. The Spurs are clearly missing something, but aren't interested in overhauling their roster. This is a tweak with a minimal risk and a potentially huge payoff.

Ultimately, it's up to Ely. Given that the NBA sewing circle has already posted a couple of strikes against him, it would be in his best interest to arrive ready to work.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9995033/rss

I'm sooooooooo excited :rolleyes
He was drafted # 12 in a weak year.

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
ely = the fly

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm glad to see he's putting in the work to earn some potential time...even if he never gets the "call"...

His motivation level was one of the biggest question marks, and it looks as if, for the short-term at least, that question has been answered....

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm glad to know he's been working during the break

exstatic
02-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Poor Melvin. Don't sign any lease over 6 months, dude.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm excited to see what he can do.

Hopefully he isn't on the SJax / White / Butler plan.

Trainwreck2100
02-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Poor Melvin. Don't sign any lease over 6 months, dude.

He might like the area and decide to stay in the offseason.

Bruno
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm excited to see what he can do.

Hopefully he isn't on the SJax / White / Butler plan.

Ely will be a free agent this summer, the SJax plan will be difficult to do with him.

Darkwaters
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I think we get one of those Ron Artest deals this year. Ely is going to come in and be a model citizen this year. He will work his ass off and impress the coaching staff. But, next year how will he react? How will he play? Fortunately with his expiring deal the team can simply let him walk if things go awry or seem destined for problems down the line.

I'm pretty sure once Melvin gets in shape and learns the basic system that he'll be ready and willing to bust his ass...at least this year. Whether he gets minutes or not is yet to be seen.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Forget him getting on the court in the next few games...will this kid even dress out? My guess is no, with Bonner back.

MannyIsGod
02-20-2007, 11:52 AM
The only way Ely doesn't see time at some point is if Oberto and Elson start to kick ass game in and game out.

Anyone really think thats going to happen?

Mr. Body
02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Ely stands to surprise some people.

Texas_Ranger
02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I hope he'll play good for the team.

Darkwaters
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
The only way Ely doesn't see time at some point is if Oberto and Elson start to kick ass game in and game out.

I tend to agree. Oberto and Elson have been such underperformers this season that unless something all of a sudden clicks for them I see Ely coming in and getting his shot.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Don't forget about Bonner taking some minutes though. His play before he got injured certainly guaranteed him some time on the court as well.

VaSpursFan
02-20-2007, 01:20 PM

ITA, my guess is he'll start to eat into Oberto's minutes. I think the Elson/Ely tandem will give us some decent production out of the center spot...hopefully, more than the franberto tandem.

Samr
02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Beggars can't be choosers. I'll jump on his bandwagon if only because the Elson/Oberto As Saviors one has clearly gotten lost in the Rockies.

I mean hey, what's the worst that could happen? What could he possibly do that would make you think "Man! I wish we still had Eric!" This dude is gonna be using a high hurdle for his high jump. The bar for "success" can't get much lower.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Hoopla, S.A.: OK John, show Spurs fans some love... What about the trade they made over the weekend? Who is Ely?

John Hollinger: Ely is an occasionally effective low post scorer who has looked a little rusty and out of shape when I've seen him this year. You probably won't see a lot of him unless the Spurs face Shaq in the Finals.

A quote from John Hollinger this morning. Not too telling, just for discussion....

sanman53
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
But his rebounding has been inconsistent — perhaps because of his minutes — and scouts have questioned his defense.

He'll fit right in.

Samr
02-20-2007, 01:46 PM
The Spurs have the most consistently bi-polar fan base in the past 7 years.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2007, 01:46 PM
A quote from John Hollinger this morning. Not too telling, just for discussion....Hollinger is useless without a spreadsheet.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Hollinger is useless without a spreadsheet.

No offense, but he's probably seen the guy play more than you have. I'm not saying he's up-to-date on all Spurs transactions, but his broad-spectrum outlook seems a bit more realistic. Pop even said himself that Ely would have to shape up in order to get consideration for minutes, etc.

You think Ely will get a spot in the rotation/minutes?

wildbill2u
02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
ELY: Minimal risk downside; low to moderate upside potential.

Williams: virtually no risk downside; minimal risk upside potential.

Not a bad trade but probably nothing that will shake up things too much. Maybe this moves Oberto to PF minutes behind Tim by the end of the season.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2007, 04:31 PM
You think Ely will get a spot in the rotation/minutes?That depends on something other than Hollinger's guess.

I don't think Ely is all that great, and I did see him play a little bit on tv when I lived in California. I simply think Hollinger's realtime scouting is much worse than his statistical analyses.

Spurminator
02-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Stupid question of the day... How do you pronounce Ely? It's "Ee-Lie" right?

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
That depends on something other than Hollinger's guess.

I don't think Ely is all that great, and I did see him play a little bit on tv when I lived in California. I simply think Hollinger's realtime scouting is much worse than his statistical analyses.

He said that Ely looked sluggish and out of shape, comments echoed by Pop when asked about Ely, so I wouldn't discount his realtime scouting just because he's better at the statistical piece.

Pop's comments were "He needs to get into shape and then we'll see what we have". Getting in shape doesn't happen over night, and even then it will depend on the other bigs already in the rotation. Should he get into game-shape in the next month and should one of the two current rotation guys (Elson/Oberto) underacheive or get injured, then you might see him get his chance. Then it's up to him to capitalize and keep the spot should all of that occur.

I'm just saying that Hollinger's assessment isn't far off, though this is a free country and I'll let you have your opinion on Ely's prospects for PT...and on Hollinger for that matter...

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Stupid question of the day... How do you pronounce Ely? It's "Ee-Lie" right?

Think it's E(strong) and LEE (like David..)

ChumpDumper
02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
He said that Ely looked sluggish and out of shape, comments echoed by Pop when asked about Ely, so I wouldn't discount his realtime scouting just because he's better at the statistical piece.

Pop's comments were "He needs to get into shape and then we'll see what we have". Getting in shape doesn't happen over night, and even then it will depend on the other bigs already in the rotation. Should he get into game-shape in the next month and should one of the two current rotation guys (Elson/Oberto) underacheive or get injured, then you might see him get his chance. Then it's up to him to capitalize and keep the spot should all of that occur.Oberto and Elson suck so much it wouldn't take much to displace one in the rotation.

AFBlue
02-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Oberto and Elson suck so much it wouldn't take much to displace one in the rotation.

On Oberto I tend to agree with you. He was IL material last year and this year I don't think the Spurs staff will hesitate to push him down the bench.

Elson, however, is a different story. I think the coaching staff has been enamored with this kid from the beginning of the season, and if he puts up double-double stats every 10th game, I think the Spurs will stick with him down the stretch.