PDA

View Full Version : James `probable' but still unlikely tonight

ducks
01-26-2004, 12:17 PM
link (http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/7797876.htm)Cavs rookie continues to favor ankle during light drills at practice
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal staff writer

CLEVELAND - One of the NBA's best young stars will be playing tonight at Gund Arena.

He just probably won't be wearing wine and gold.

LeBron James was upgraded from doubtful to probable by the Cavaliers after practice Sunday as the team prepared for tonight's home game with Tracy McGrady and the Orlando Magic.

It set off a tizzy of expectations that James will be back to his old self after a week on the shelf in time to match up with T-Mac.

But despite the rhetoric, it doesn't look like there will be another James-McGrady duel like the one that produced great theatrics on Christmas Day when McGrady's 41 points led his team past James and his 34 points.

James participated in his most extensive practice Sunday since spraining his right ankle nine days ago in Utah. But he was still very tentative on the foot and didn't do any full-court work. James did not do any jumping, either, and was favoring the ankle during light five-on-five drills.

Considering he still maintains that he will not return until he's 100 percent, James is not likely to give it a try tonight.

``It felt a little stiff at first, but it loosened up a little,'' James said. ``If it feels great at walk-through (today) then I'll give it a shot, otherwise it'll be my fourth game sitting.''

The Cavaliers probably would like James to at least try to play, even if he's not 100 percent, but they're going to leave the decision up to him.

``(The stiffness) is normal, but eventually, you've got to get out there and let your adrenaline take over and get into the game,'' coach Paul Silas said. ``But it's up to him. If he feels he can go, I'd like to see him try it. But we're not going to rush him.''

The team has been able to persevere without James, coming back to beat Utah in overtime after his injury and then winning two out of three games last week, the only loss coming to Western Conference power Sacramento. They've won 4-of-6 overall.

``The chemistry on the team is very good right now,'' Silas said. ``The guys are in a good frame of mind, and we're getting a lot of production from a lot of people. All's well right now.''

Battie update

Forward Tony Battie, who also missed the game Saturday, returned to practice wearing a brace on his left knee. He bruised and slightly hyperextended it in the loss Thursday to Sacramento. The team also has listed him as probable for tonight.

``We're just trying to get the pain out of '' Battie said. ``I can play through soreness.''