PDA

View Full Version : Little Miss Sunshine

Jelly
02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
has anyone seen this yet? What was your favorite part?

If you haven't already seen it, it's on DVD. You've gotta rent it!! I was forced to watch it by a friend, but ended up laughing my ass off.

And don't worry guys, It's NOT a chick flick!

(sorry, if this topic is old news.)

Sonia_TX
02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I didnt like it. :( I might be the only one but yeah... My cousin loved it and recommended it.

midgetonadonkey
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I thought it was good. One of the better movies I've seen in a while.

NASpurs
02-20-2007, 09:26 PM
My friend recommended this movie to me so I saw it. I guess my idea of a comedy is different from hers because I only laughed like two or three times. But I think the story is pretty good so it wasn't bad at all.

Vizzini
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
It was okay, but the "hype" surrounding it kinda set it up to fail to live up to expectations.

johngateswhiteley
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
has anyone seen this yet? What was your favorite part?

If you haven't already seen it, it's on DVD. You've gotta rent it!! I was forced to watch it by a friend, but ended up laughing my ass off.

And don't worry guys, It's NOT a chick flick!

(sorry, if this topic is old news.)

(there are some threads on this already) in any case, i loved it. its a phenomenal movie.

Jelly
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
It was okay, but the "hype" surrounding it kinda set it up to fail to live up to expectations.

yeah, too much hype will kill any movie. I didn't see all the hype and what I had heard about it didn't interest me at all, so I was thrilled when I finally saw it. I guess my advice is, go in expecting to hate it and you'll probably have a great time.

katyon6th
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
One of the best movies of 2006. The cast was pretty damn superb. The scene in which Little Miss Sunshine herself listens to the answering machine? Incredible. I love this movie.

johngateswhiteley
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
One of the best movies of 2006. The cast was pretty damn superb. The scene in which Little Miss Sunshine herself listens to the answering machine? Incredible. I love this movie.

definitely the best comedy of the year....easily.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
definitely the best comedy of the year....easily.

i don't think there was a better movie period.

johngateswhiteley
02-21-2007, 12:46 AM
i don't think there was a better movie period.

you could be right, but i like The Departed, POC 2, and Lucky # Slevin a lot.

i'd go:

1. The Departed
2. Little Miss Sunshine
3. Pirates
4. Lucky # Slevin <<<best movie nobody saw, imo

SAtown
02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I saw this movie at the theaters without knowing a thing about it. I thought the movie was fucking hilarious. Everything from the douchebag dad to the quiet kid.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 01:06 AM
you could be right, but i like The Departed, POC 2, and Lucky # Slevin a lot.

i'd go:

1. The Departed
2. Little Miss Sunshine
3. Pirates
4. Lucky # Slevin <<<best movie nobody saw, imo

the slevin was hilarious, but awful. the best scene in the movie was willis shooting some dude while riding on top of an elevator. assface may be the worst actor out there.

johngateswhiteley
02-21-2007, 01:11 AM
the slevin was hilarious, but awful. the best scene in the movie was willis shooting some dude while riding on top of an elevator. assface may be the worst actor out there.

well, i don't agree with all of that. but i do agree it wasn't a great movie...but it make my top 5 b/c i absolutely loved it.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 01:21 AM
well, i don't agree with all of that. but i do agree it wasn't a great movie...but it make my top 5 b/c i absolutely loved it.

i make it a point to see every willis movie, it just dragged in the parts without bruce. actually the best part may have been the flashback where willis had a stache.

johngateswhiteley
02-21-2007, 01:25 AM
i make it a point to see every willis movie, it just dragged in the parts without bruce. actually the best part may have been the flashback where willis had a stache.

one disclaimer i should make, for future reference, is movies rarely drag, imo. i am a huge fan of the slow build-up, however in this case, i didn't think it was slow at all.

LuvBones
02-21-2007, 01:43 AM
My friend recommended this movie to me so I saw it. I guess my idea of a comedy is different from hers because I only laughed like two or three times. But I think the story is pretty good so it wasn't bad at all.Who are you talking about? :p:

NASpurs
02-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Who are you talking about? :p::spin

I'm sorry for recommending the Illusionist to you. :lol

Melmart1
02-21-2007, 02:52 AM
The Illusionist was pretty good... but Little Miss Sunshine was great! I laughed at several parts.. Those who like thier laughs being "literal" wouldn't get it... but those who think everyday things are funny will laugh their assses off. Just my 2cents...

johngateswhiteley
02-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Those who like thier laughs being "literal" wouldn't get it... but those who think everyday things are funny will laugh their assses off. Just my 2cents...

not a bad comment. my opinion on Little Miss Sunshine is simple...if you don't think it was funny, you are probably mentally retarded. no offense to anyone, but that movie is insanely funny and if you don't get it, you're just dumb.

Jelly
02-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Some of my fave parts....

-the opening scene with Greg Kinnear giving his lecture
- the dinner table scene (Is that fucking chicken again?!!) and Steve Carrell explaining his suicide attempt to Olive. It shouldn't be funny, but it was.
- The grumpy, foul mouthed grandpa's tirades in the van. (Fuck you! I still got Nazi bullets in my ass!!)
- The horn
- The horn and cop (this had me in tears)
-The bitchy "bereavement liaison"
and of course the final scene

It's not a straight up comedy. It deals with very serious storylines and manages to inject humor into things that are pretty depressing. It would be considered a drama if it weren't so funny.

and I LOVED how they left the hotel.

Vizzini
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah, too much hype will kill any movie. I didn't see all the hype and what I had heard about it didn't interest me at all, so I was thrilled when I finally saw it. I guess my advice is, go in expecting to hate it and you'll probably have a great time.

yeah, there really has been only one movie, at least with comedies anyway that got a ton of hype and that I actually loved, and that was "There's Something About Mary". I would count Borat in that discussion, but I was going to see that movie no matter what was going to be said about it.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 09:40 AM
The Illusionist was pretty good... but Little Miss Sunshine was great! I laughed at several parts.. Those who like thier laughs being "literal" wouldn't get it... but those who think everyday things are funny will laugh their assses off. Just my 2cents...
i like my laughs either way, but this captured family dysfunctionality at its finest. i was figuring napoleon dynamite at the end, so i was laughing my ass off.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 09:44 AM
one disclaimer i should make, for future reference, is movies rarely drag, imo. i am a huge fan of the slow build-up, however in this case, i didn't think it was slow at all.

i love good, quality slow build ups - kurosawa, leone, etc. i don't count slevin as one of those because i fell asleep in the middle. the last third of the movie was much more entertaining.

Melmart1
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
For me it was the horn. I had laughed several times before then but the horn made me lose it, I got the hiccups and never recovered after that. Good thing I didn't see it in the theater, I can see the people around me getting mad at me having the hiccups. The only way I can stop them is to hold my breath and its hard to hold your breathe when you are laughing.

Sunshine
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I finally saw it this past weekend and LOVED it. My favorite part was probably the very end when she does her dance...hilarious.

Sunshine
02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
The Illusionist Those who like thier laughs being "literal" wouldn't get it... but those who think everyday things are funny will laugh their assses off. Just my 2cents...

Couldn't have said it better.

LuvBones
02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
:spin

I'm sorry for recommending the Illusionist to you. :lolThe Illusionist wasn't bad...I liked it. You just overhyped it for me. I thought it would be the BEST MOVIE EVER! :p:

Spurfect
02-21-2007, 01:05 PM
my favorite part was the messed up horn.. hilarious
the illusionist.. eh

leemajors
02-21-2007, 01:36 PM
The Illusionist wasn't bad...I liked it. You just overhyped it for me. I thought it would be the BEST MOVIE EVER! :p:

i liked the illusionist and prestige, but i thought illusionist was better overall.