PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Spurs notebook: Bowen's back worries Popovich

Bruno
02-21-2007, 03:59 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022107.04C.BKNspurs.bowen.186feb1.html

Web Posted: 02/21/2007 12:28 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Bruce Bowen's monthlong struggles with his shot have Spurs coach Gregg Popovich worried his top perimeter defender might be slowed by a lower-back injury.

Bowen has had some soreness in his back that's limited his practice time, but he has yet to miss a game. After ranking among the NBA's leaders in 3-point accuracy for much of the season, Bowen had made nine of his 46 attempts in the 14 games before Tuesday.

"In my opinion, Bruce is injured," Popovich said. "It's probably bothering him more than he's willing to admit because he is a competitor and he wants to continue playing.

"We're going ahead and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's better off physically than I think he is. We just see where it goes."

Bowen, who scored nine points in Tuesday's victory, said he feels fine.

"Everybody plays through some sort of aches and pains," Bowen said. "I wasn't playing well and now I'm trying to make a conscious effort on improving. Sometimes all it takes is a layup to get you going."

Bowen hasn't missed a game since Feb. 26, 2002, giving him the league's longest active streak of consecutive games played with 408. Popovich is hoping the All-Star break gave Bowen enough time to recover.

"He hasn't played great basketball by his own admission, but he believes it's just because he hasn't played well," Popovich said. "If that's the case, I'm fine with it, and we'll stick with him. But if it continues and I sense that it is more his back than he's willing to believe, then I have to limit him in some way, shape or form."

Standing pat? The NBA's trade deadline arrives Thursday afternoon and Popovich said if the Spurs make another deal it would involve "periphery players" similar to the Eric Williams-for-Melvin Ely swap.

It's little secret the Spurs have tried to move center Jackie Butler, who has appeared in only six games. Butler did little to improve his case for minutes Tuesday morning when he showed up at the practice facility after the team had already finished shootaround.

Butler was extremely apologetic and stayed for extra work, but arriving an hour late on the morning of the team's first game after the All-Star break isn't going to help him earn the respect of his coaches and teammates.

Briefly: Matt Bonner returned after missing the past 15 games while recovering from a torn left medial collateral ligament. He played with a brace on his knee and finished with three points on 1-of 6-shooting and two rebounds in 12 minutes. He said his knee felt fine but needs to regain his timing. ... Nuggets guard J.R. Smith left in the first half with a left knee injury. Denver officials diagnosed the injury as a muscle strain but said he might have a meniscus tear.

Budkin
02-21-2007, 04:38 AM
I still think it's way too early to give up on Butler unless we can get something good that will help us right now. The kid's got a lot of potential.

ploto
02-21-2007, 07:53 AM
It's little secret the Spurs have tried to move center Jackie Butler, who has appeared in only six games. Butler did little to improve his case for minutes Tuesday morning when he showed up at the practice facility after the team had already finished shootaround.

All the recent bad publicity from Ludden on Butler means the Spurs are actually really looking to move him. It creates the reasons in advance so that fans won't be so upset. If none of this had come out and Butler got traded, people would be like WTF? but now if he is gone people will say- he was fat and lazy and stupid.

So Butler + Beno=??

Marcus Bryant
02-21-2007, 08:17 AM
If none of this had come out and Butler got traded, people would be like WTF? but now if he is gone people will say- he was fat and lazy and stupid.

Nah, the Spurs would never do such a thing....

Supergirl
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
This is the first I heard that the Spurs were trying to move Butler. I thought he had just been tabled as a long term project.

I think it's too early to give up on him. Better to trade Oberto and Udrih for a long 3, since they're the odd men out of the current rotation anyway.

But Bowen's back worries me too. If he needs to rest, he should rest. We need him come playoff time. On the other hand, he's such a fierce competitor he'll turn it up another notch and play through ANYTHING come playoff time.

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
....and the Spurs wonder why fans have been clamoring for them to duly address the need for an heir apparent for Bowen. Despite his "iron-man" rep and competitiveness, it's not like Bruce is going to play forever. After all, he is one of the oldest players on the team and older players do tend to sustain injuries more often.

It's absolutely stupid for the FO to have ignored this need to have lingered this long.

Extra Stout
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm shocked that a 35-year-old perimeter player might start to break down physically. Who could have seen that coming?

Maybe the Spurs can find a nice young spry contributor like Scottie Pippen to pick up the slack.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Not only has Butler been underwhelming on nearly all fronts so far, he has the temerity to have a contract that runs through 2009. (Nevermind the fact the Spurs gave him that contract.) I'm sure that sticks in their craw as much as anything.

PM5K
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
It's never too early to trade someone who doesn't show the effort necessary....

The Spurs have patience to wait for talent to develop, but effort doesn't just develop...

mountainballer
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
one more reason to make a try for Gerald Wallace NOW!

(I know, I know, we don't have what it would take to persuade the Bobcats. but give them Butler, Barry, White, Scola rights, Mahinmi rights and if this isn't enough THROW IN THE KARAULOV RIGHTS!)

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Why throw so much at a player who probably won't resign with you this summer?

mountainballer
02-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Why throw so much at a player who probably won't resign with you this summer?

ok, withdraw the Karaulov rights.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
one more reason to make a try for Gerald Wallace NOW!

(I know, I know, we don't have what it would take to persuade the Bobcats. but give them Butler, Barry, White, Scola rights, Mahinmi rights and if this isn't enough THROW IN THE KARAULOV RIGHTS!)

Yeah, that's it, give them all of the young talent we actually have the rights to (along with Barry) for a guy who spends half his team in the injured list.

Go back to spursreport if you're going to bring that kind of shit.

sa_butta
02-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Butler is too young and raw. The guy has not had any PT (he hasnt exactly earned it eiither). The guy needs to see some time. Its a shame to see Bowen breaking down, but hopefully some of the other guys can step it up on D.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, that's it, give them all of the young talent we actually have the rights to (along with Barry) for a guy who spends half his team in the injured list.

Dude, can't you tell he's joking?

mountainballer
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM

I just wonder: did you ever release a post without offending someone?
must be some kind of mental disorder.

btw. Butler and Mahinmi and White are young, but I wouldn't go as far to call them talented, Scola is talented, but no longer young and won't sign with the Spurs anyhow. the only in fact young talent we have is Tony.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
AHF is needlessly combative, but the only thing he winds up combating (unsuccessfully) is his own stupidity and, perhaps, his attempts to not be a prick.

Darkwaters
02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
btw. Butler and Mahinmi and White are young, but I wouldn't go as far to call them talented, Scola is talented, but no longer young and won't sign with the Spurs anyhow. the only in fact young talent we have is Tony.

Tony isn't talented, hes exceptional. To be a two-time all-star at 24 is a wonderful accomplishment. But I don't think that "young talent" only applies to those kind of guys. James White has all the talent in the world in terms of physical characteristics. He just hasn't figured out how to use them (yet) and is therefore still somewhat raw. Mahinmi and Butler are both VERY raw but are definately talented - hence why they were picked up by the Spurs. Players like Tony Parker, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard that are young and uber-capable are starters, all-stars and rookies of the year types because they have talent and have learned to utilize it early. But developing players like Andrew Bynum and Shaun Livingston are often no less talented...they're just still learning to use that talent and apply it.

The Truth #6
02-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Nah, the Spurs would never do such a thing....

Ludden asserts that everyone knows that Butler has been on the block. Maybe other people read those stories, but I missed them.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 06:25 PM
It was mentioned in one of the other articles but was immediately poo-poohed by the contingent that thinks Butler will still obviously reap dividends somewhere down the line.

Marcus Bryant
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Spurs' PR machine in full effect. How long until we find out that Butler pissed on the Alamo?

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Has Butler played well here or something?

The Truth #6
02-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Spurs' PR machine in full effect. How long until we find out that Butler pissed on the Alamo?

That's hilarious.

The point isn't that he's played well, but that the Spurs are looking to trade him tomorrow and need to foreshadow it somehow through Ludden.

T Park
02-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I guess in Marcus's mind, the Spurs made up and lied about Butler doing that.

exstatic
02-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Not only has Butler been underwhelming on nearly all fronts so far, he has the temerity to have a contract that runs through 2009. (Nevermind the fact the Spurs gave him that contract.) I'm sure that sticks in their craw as much as anything.
2008-2009 is the team's option. They ain't stupid. The '08 plan was already in effect once Pryz turned down SA last summer. I had a bad feeling when Bonner was hurt and Butler, in street clothes, wouldn't even budge off the bench to help him to the locker room. Tim had to bark at him.
:fro

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:41 AM
It sucks that Butler appears to not care because he is talented. He was a flake in highschool but I was hoping that he got back on track. Obviously he hasn't because missing shooting around for oversleeping or whatever is just unacceptable here in San Antonio. Ask Devin Brown.

sabar
02-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Butler is the second coming of Beno Udrih?
We still haven't dealt with the first one.

wildbill2u
02-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Just my opinion, but when guys miss practice, it ain't because they're oversleeping. They may be overdoing something else, but sleep?

Come on, at 20 why would you not be able to wake up in time for a shootaround? Maybe you've got too much money and are burning the candle at both ends?

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Just my opinion, but when guys miss practice, it ain't because they're oversleeping. They may be overdoing something else, but sleep?

Come on, at 20 why would you not be able to wake up in time for a shootaround? Maybe you've got too much money and are burning the candle at both ends?

I know that when Devin was here, he overslept and was late for practice/shootaround from time to time.

T Park
02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
the guys 21.

Give the kid a fucking break.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:11 AM
the guys 21.

You think it's okay that he's apparently late and lazy?

sabar
02-22-2007, 02:13 AM
At least he was extremely apologetic and stayed for extra work, so it's not like he doesn't care at all.

Of course I don't know his personal life so I have no clue if him missing the shootaround is rare or if he's been lazy on all fronts or what.

Melmart1
02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
the guys 21.

Weren't you the one with a "zero tolerance" policy on tardiness for your employees in that thread in the Club?

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:16 AM
At least he was extremely apologetic and stayed for extra work, so it's not like he doesn't care at all.

Of course I don't know his personal life so I have no clue if him missing the shootaround is rare or if he's been lazy on all fronts or what.

Well in high school, I think he was flaky and lazy. He transferred schools a couple times because of some off the court stuff I think (I'll go look it up) ... and then he committed to a college, but backed out and opted to try the NBA (I think that was a grades issue).

xamila rey
02-22-2007, 02:20 AM
is this the first time that this happens?

timvp
02-22-2007, 03:39 AM
A Spur doesn't "fit in" and is traded away. Of course by coincidence, it would also put the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold.

If the Spurs give away Butler without getting quality back, it'd be a bad trade. He's probably the best young player in the Spurs' pipeline and now the Spurs are giving up on him?

The Spurs knew he had a lot of growing up to do when they signed him. He didn't play in college and didn't even play much in high school. He dropped out of the draft because of character issues. Being on the Knicks didn't solve any of those issues.

Butler being late is inexcusable, but it's not enough to trade him away to salary dump his contract. I want to see what he can do in summer league and in training camp next year after a full year in the Spurs' system.

He's a low-risk, high-reward player at this point. At worse, he doesn't work out and the Spurs can trade him one year from now. At that point, his value will be higher because a team could take a three month look at him before they decide whether or not to pick up the team option.

If Butler buys into everything and starts to grow up, he has the talents to be a good player in this league. Trading him away now for nothing makes no sense.

Marcus Bryant
02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Butler being late is inexcusable, but it's not enough to trade him away to salary dump his contract.

I will have to disagree with you there timvp. Being late is the excuse....

A Spur doesn't "fit in" and is traded away. Of course by coincidence, it would also put the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold.

...and that's the reason. It's amazing how overnight an otherwise valuable player morphs into an insurbordinate fat lazy slob in San Antonio. You'd think that every other player was the model of perfection. I mean, I'm really fucking glad that Oberto makes it to practice on time. Who knows how bad he'd suck if he didn't...

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 08:59 AM
an otherwise valuable playerWhat value?

Marcus Bryant
02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Considering that every other bigman who can walk and not fall down in the NBA eventually ends up with a long term decimillion deal, fairly valuable.

The Spurs are not in a position to be giving up young bigman talent for nothing.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Has Butler done anything as a Spur to warrant all this hand wringing?

Holt's Cat
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Had Jack in 2001-02?

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Has Butler done anything as a Spur to warrant all this hand wringing?

Ha. No.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Had Jack in 2001-02?Much more than Butler for 1/10 the price.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 10:30 AM
If the Spurs give away Butler without getting quality back, it'd be a bad trade. He's probably the best young player in the Spurs' pipeline and now the Spurs are giving up on him?

Which isn't saying much. None of White, Butler, or Mahinmi are terribly interesting as prospects and have only marginal chances of panning out in this league, with Sanikidze not even being on the map. Being king of this motley lot ain't saying a whole lot and I'd venture that whoever the Spurs get at #27 this summer will be better than any of them.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Ultimately I agree it is somewhat risky to give up on a 21 year old big man, but not prohibitively so -- depends on what we get back.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I'd venture that whoever the Spurs get at #27 this summer will be better than any of them.

Don't venture too far now... :lol

You're statement isn't exactly bold and "out-there" considering this is potentially the deepest draft in years and the Spurs have legitimate needs to address, rather than taking a flyer on one of the prospects you mentioned....still I'll wait and see who the Spurs draft, you never know with the Spurs FO....

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Don't venture too far now... :lol

You're statement isn't exactly bold and "out-there" considering this is potentially the deepest draft in years and the Spurs have legitimate needs to address, rather than taking a flyer on one of the prospects you mentioned.

Well, I have to couch my enthusiasm with the understanding the Spurs might go ahead and 'be ahead of the curve' and draft some Bengali who seems mobile enough, who has never touched a basketball but plays some related game.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, I have to couch my enthusiasm with the understanding the Spurs might go ahead and 'be ahead of the curve' and draft some Bengali who seems mobile enough, who has never touched a basketball but plays some related game.

Yeah, agreed. I was just messing with you. As you'll see with my edit, I tend to have a wait-and-see approach with the Spurs FO on draft day decisions...

You could qualify you're statement like this:

Whoever the Spurs COULD get at #27 will likely be better than any of those three prospects.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Absolutely true. Butler is like a miniature Corey Maggette around these parts as far as being overrated goes.