PDA

View Full Version : Mike Finger: Elson gaining confidence in his Spurs role

Bruno
02-21-2007, 04:01 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mfinger/stories/MYSA022107.01C.COL.BKNfinger.spurs.186fdd4.html

Web Posted: 02/21/2007 02:43 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News

Allen Iverson hasn't changed the balance of power in the Western Conference. Neither, likely, will Jason Kidd. But there is a new arrival who still has a chance to shake things up, and he was on display on the same court as Iverson at the AT&T Center on Tuesday night.

And when the NBA's trade deadline finally passes Thursday, people will have to ask:

Will any midseason acquisition have a greater impact on a championship run than a healthy, productive Francisco Elson?

The Spurs might have other deals working, but none likely have the potential to give them the kind of boost they can get from a swap they've already made. If they can trade the Elson of the first half — one who missed time with injuries and was slow to adjust to a new system — for the Elson of the past two weeks, it could turn into a difference-making transaction.

Elson showed how Tuesday, just as he started to do at the end of the Spurs' rodeo trip. In his nine-point, eight-rebound effort against the Nuggets, he beat opposing big men up the court, he worked hard on the glass, and he showed the kind of presence that can take some pressure off of his more accomplished teammates.

In other words, he looked a lot like he did the last time Denver was in town.

Last January, when he was still playing for the Nuggets, Elson scored 13 points at the AT&T Center in a Denver victory, reeling off a couple of fast-break dunks and barking at the Spurs' bench. It was a performance that helped him convince the Spurs to sign him last summer, and it was a game he still laughs about now.

"We killed them," Elson said, loud enough for a couple of his new teammates to overhear. "They couldn't keep up with me."

He was joking when he said it, but there was a ring of truth to it. The Spurs signed him in large part because of his athleticism and ability to run the floor, and he hadn't been able to display those qualities regularly until he returned from an injured shoulder last month.

Elson said his lack of productivity early in the season had more to do with "focus" than his health, but whatever the reason, there's no denying his game is starting to come together. Last week at Detroit he delivered his best performance as a Spur, posting 12 points and 18 rebounds. And since re-joining the starting lineup six games ago, he's shooting 65 percent from the floor while averaging 7.8 rebounds per game.

It's the kind of production the Spurs have been pining for from their big men all season, and coach Gregg Popovich said he's been encouraged by the breakthrough. Elson still isn't the best post defender the Spurs have had — he had a few problems with Nen๊ on Tuesday — but Popovich said it's obvious he's getting more comfortable at both ends of the floor.

"He's (having) less and less of those confused moments," Popovich said.

If anyone looked confused Tuesday, it was the Nuggets, who had to be wondering if they made the right move in letting their old center get away. When Elson wasn't taking fast-break passes from Tony Parker and finishing at the rim, he was rolling to the basket for a backdoor layup, or following a Tim Duncan miss with a putback. And even though he isn't dominant on defense, he remains Popovich's best option for slowing either Dirk Nowitzki or Amare Stoudemire in the playoffs.

Elson said he doesn't see himself as a difference-maker, but he does understand how important he can be during the next few months.

"These guys have been together for a long time," Elson said. "If I can just do what I do and try to help out, good things will happen."

As for the Nuggets and their big new arrival? After Tuesday, Denver is 2-5 with Iverson and Carmelo Anthony in the same lineup. If anyone needed a reminder that there are no quick fixes in the NBA, Denver is Exhibit A.

Familiarity still matters, as does a core of star players who know their roles. The Spurs have that already, which is why they won't be making a big splash at the trade deadline.

Not when they already can find their best midseason acquisition in their own locker room.

JPB
02-21-2007, 04:10 AM
if Mavs ans Spurs meet in playoffs, how Sisco is doing will be a big part of the series result. That would be the main difference with last year.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-21-2007, 04:28 AM
it's too late for people to jump on his bandwagon (including the media) Your either a hater or you have stuck by Frankie since day one :smokin

RC's Boss
02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
After wathing him play against Dirk the 1st time, I felt he was our best defensive option against him b/c of his speed. It allows us to not play small ball so much. Now against Amare, I think he'll have trouble b/c he's too light in the ass.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2007, 09:13 AM
the thong thong thong....

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Elson's game is made and broken in the fastbreak. If Tony, and whoever else gives the outlet pass can find him in transition he'll be an asset offensively. I also like his work on the boards.

Having said that...to suggest that Elson might be the biggest acquisition of the "midseason" is homerism at it's worst.

MoSpur
02-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I hope he continues to improve. Him getting 8+ boards from here on will be huge for the Spurs.

YODA
02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
In a post I made a few weeks back, I stated Elson would be "the X-Factor "for the Spurs. He has since had a few good games. I like that instead of splitting the minutes with Oberto, they are giving more time to elson. The thing I like most lately is seeing his teamamates actually look for him in the offense. Making Elson feel part of the team instead of just a link will go a long way for Elson. I still worry the team will forget about him and he will go back to his face in the crowd sindrome,but for now He actually looks like part of the team and getting more confident every game.
As someone already stated, if he can avg 8 rebounds, that could go along way for the Spurs.
On a Defense note, has anyone notice that elson isnt shying away from contact as much as he has in past? When he has rotated in past, Ive seen him somewhat back off alot of drives coming in. I use to think he was just slow to rotate, but after watchign a while, I noticed he was actually there on time, but wouldnt commit himself to the D. The last few games he has been in he has been very agressive in that rotaion, but lets hope its a permamanet change.

Yoda

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
After wathing him play against Dirk the 1st time, I felt he was our best defensive option against him b/c of his speed. It allows us to not play small ball so much. Now against Amare, I think he'll have trouble b/c he's too light in the ass.

Good point. I think his success he had in that game has been lost due to his time missed because of injury and the team's recent slide.

hitmanyr2k
02-21-2007, 01:54 PM
In a post I made a few weeks back, I stated Elson would be "the X-Factor "for the Spurs. He has since had a few good games. I like that instead of splitting the minutes with Oberto, they are giving more time to elson. The thing I like most lately is seeing his teamamates actually look for him in the offense. Making Elson feel part of the team instead of just a link will go a long way for Elson.

These two factors will go a long way to making Elson a serviceable player for the Spurs. Giving him more playing time to build confidence and gain a rhythm in the game has only yielded positive results thus far. From here on hopefully Elson gets just as many minutes as the other starters (at least 30 minutes per). Let Horry and Oberto pick up the scraps.

ploto
02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
While I saw improvement on the offensive boards, his defense on Nene was still poor.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Got twice as many rebounds as Nene. I'll take it.

thispego
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
the thong thong thong....
you're lame

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Got twice as many rebounds as Nene. I'll take it.

Speaking of Nene...did it bother the shit out of anyone else that Reggie Miller kept calling him Nay-Nay. I had to mute it whenever Nene was on the floor it got so bad...

cheguevara
02-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Nene...did it bother the shit out of anyone else that Reggie Miller kept calling him Nay-Nay. I had to mute it whenever Nene was on the floor it got so bad...

Reggie sounds like Steve Urkle

NFO
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Hopefully Elson can develop some more consistency from game to game to give the Spurs some reliability at the Center position come playoff time.

DubMcDub
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
That article mentions Fransisco Elson in the same sentence as Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd. That's all you need to know about how valid it is. :lol

ploto
02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Hopefully Elson can develop some more consistency from game to game to give the Spurs some reliability at the Center position come playoff time.
12 minutes 5 fouls

T Park
02-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Typical ploto.

MannyIsGod
02-21-2007, 11:45 PM
12 minutes 5 foulsVery difficult to get into a rythm when you get bullshit calls early in the first.

T Park
02-21-2007, 11:57 PM
For Elson its his fault.

For Rasho its bullshit calls.

Get it right..