PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs get top-flight backup

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Spurs get top-flight backup
Web Posted: 11/15/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111504.1D.BKNspursudrih.59f41d4a.html

What had been a 24-point deficit for Atlanta less than four minutes earlier was down to 11. The Hawks, appearing well on their way to another lopsided loss Saturday, were suddenly running the floor and shooting with confidence.

With more than nine minutes to play, the Spurs needed help.

Standing on the right wing, Beno Udrih took a couple of nonchalant dribbles. Royal Ivey, Atlanta's point guard, relaxed for a second.

That was all the time Udrih needed. He rifled the ball overhand, between two defenders, to Rasho Nesterovic, who was under the basket, 25 feet away. Nesterovic completed the layup as Hawks guard Jon Barry helplessly fouled him.

Atlanta's stat crew mistakenly gave the assist to Brent Barry, a deft passer himself. But there was little doubt among the Spurs who deserved credit.

"In practice, man, he put a couple of those right by my ear," Malik Rose said of Udrih. "In that offense, where he's playing his game, he just has a natural feel for it.

"I'm just glad he's on the second team with me."

With the season less than two weeks old, Udrih has shown to be a more than capable backup to Tony Parker. He had four assists in only 10 minutes in his second NBA game to help the Spurs beat the Los Angeles Lakers. In addition to his clever pass to Nesterovic on Saturday, Udrih also killed Atlanta's rally with a 3-pointer.

"He's definitely," Rose said, "somebody we can count on."

That the Spurs even have a No. 2 point guard shows how far they have come from a year ago.

Anthony Carter was signed to fill that role last season, but team officials soon discovered he had a pre-existing knee injury. Alex Garcia showed promise until he broke his foot the final week of the preseason. With Parker sidelined by a left ankle sprain and Shane Heal nursing a back injury, the Spurs signed Jason Hart after their second game and started him against New York two nights later.

Hart did a more than admirable job given the conditions under which he was working. His confidence also was infectious, but the Spurs, seeking a better shooter, picked up Charlie Ward midway through the season. They abandoned that experiment two months later when Ward couldn't stop 38-year-old Avery Johnson.

The season ended with Manu Ginobili assuming most of the minutes behind Parker. The Spurs, not surprisingly, looked for a point guard in the draft.

Fitting in well

Udrih has done nothing to convince the Spurs they should have taken someone else. His passing has fit well with the team's motion. In three of their five victories, they Spurs have totaled at least 23 assists.

"We're moving the ball real well," Tim Duncan said, "and we don't really care who's taking the shots."

Udrih said his right knee, which he bruised playing with the Slovenian national team in September, feels better. The Spurs want to get him stronger to improve his durability. Because he averages less than 12 minutes a game, he also is doing conditioning work to stay in shape.

On the court, he's still getting a feel for his teammates tendencies.

"It's just like what Tony had to do a few years ago," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's trying to figure out, where does Timmy like the ball? Where is Brent Barry going to go? Manu is all over the place, so where do I get him the ball?

"He's doing a good job of picking things up."

"I have really great teammates," Udrih said. "It's much easier with them helping me through this."

That's not to say he hasn't run into problems. He struggled to stay in front of Speedy Claxton in the first half of last week's victory against Golden State and drew two quick fouls. He fared better in the second half and slowed the Warriors' comeback.

After making a 15-footer early in the quarter, he answered Jason Richardson's 3-pointer with one of his own. He did the same to Antoine Walker on Saturday.

"I think his confidence is growing," Popovich said. "It's interesting because every game is obviously a new situation for him. He hasn't played against any of these guys, so he's at a real disadvantage. He doesn't know, defensively, what in the world the guy he's guarding is really going to do. He's seen him on TV or whatever, but that's it.

"Having said that, I think he he's done a good job of trying to figure things out."

timvp
11-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Beno has looked impressive. At times I worry that he's too slow, but he's done a good job of adapting on defense. One thing that he struggles at and will come back to hurt the Spurs if he doesn't correct it is handling a fullcourt press. If he can't bring the ball up while under pressure, that is going to hurt come playoff time.

P.S.

Atlanta's stat crew mistakenly gave the assist to Brent Barry

I swear the Hawk's stat crew must have been high. They only gave Beno one assist and he had that pass to Rasho and at least one other assist on that pass to Barry. They also didn't cout like five shots that Rasho missed. Maybe the guy fell asleep or something.

xcoriate
11-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Man even die hard spurs fans have admitted to not knowing the difference between Beno and Barry, then again they have numbers...

Solid D
11-15-2004, 12:44 PM
"In practice, man, he put a couple of those right by my ear," Malik Rose said of Udrih. "In that offense, where he's playing his game, he just has a natural feel for it.

"I'm just glad he's on the second team with me."

With the season less than two weeks old, Udrih has shown to be a more than capable backup to Tony Parker. He had four assists in only 10 minutes in his second NBA game to help the Spurs beat the Los Angeles Lakers. In addition to his clever pass to Nesterovic on Saturday, Udrih also killed Atlanta's rally with a 3-pointer.

"He's definitely," Rose said, "somebody we can count on."...

Udrih has done nothing to convince the Spurs they should have taken someone else.

awaiting Sequ's usual response...

Solid D
11-15-2004, 12:53 PM
One thing that he struggles at and will come back to hurt the Spurs if he doesn't correct it is handling a fullcourt press. If he can't bring the ball up while under pressure, that is going to hurt come playoff time.

True, Tony beats presses with pure speed and quickness. Beno needs help from the inbound guy, usually one of the pivots.

maxpower
11-15-2004, 01:13 PM
I wonder what was the final thoughts on Alex Garcia. Did his injury keep him from regaining what potential he had or did the Spurs just not see as much potential as they initially thought?

Ghost Writer
11-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I like this Beno kid. While he lacks the quickness of Speedy, he makes up in playmaking ability. Udirich is certainly better than any of the crap we had at backup last year, including "my boy" Charlie Ward.

samikeyp
11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
awaiting Sequ's usual response...

"fuckin' Slovenian" [/sequ] :lol

Solid D
11-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I like this Beno Harper kid. :hat

fonzy16
11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
as i said once, beno is by my opinion a better shotter than parker, dont know about passing, but parker is quicker and a better scorer.

newbiefan
11-15-2004, 02:43 PM
in my limited exposure to basketball, i have not been too impressed with Beno, actually like wilkes better with his limited minutes, but what do I know. can someone post stats between parker,beno, and wilkes to enlighten me. I can go online - spurs.com and find out more about history/ background on them, I guess.

IceColdBrewski
11-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Beno is gonna be a starter in this league when his shots start falling. I just hope it's with the Spurs.

Mr. Body
11-15-2004, 04:08 PM
newbiefan: Point guard is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NBA, normally the hardest. There is so much involved in running a team. For the limited minutes we've seen Beno play, he looks at turns relaxed and overwhelmed. For a late first-round rookie to look relaxed at all, and in important situations, this early in his first season, is highly promising.

Solid D
11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
True,
A PG can enter the offense and get an assist by dribbling around while the shot clock runs down to 7 and then dump it in to Tim and watch him score over a double team...but that doesn't make him a good PG.

Does he do well at running the team, keeping the tempo needed to win with fast breaks, early offense or running the half court sets under perimeter pressure?

Does he run screen/rolls well?

Does he recognize defensive mismatches and get the ball to the man with the advantage or position?

Does he deliver the ball to a player in a spot where he can score or do something with it?

Does he recognize a sudden change to zone (after Pop had called a play earlier for a man-to-man set) and adjust to penetrate or call a different play?

Lots of factors in running a club well.

Solid D
11-15-2004, 04:42 PM
One more quality. When you play PG for Pop, you have to defend also.

(see Charilie Ward, also see Turnstile, Matador, Linda Rhondstadt (Blew By You)

slayermin
11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Manu is all over the place, so where do I get him the ball?

:lol

Manu is usually always around the ball, at least on defense.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-15-2004, 07:19 PM
I think this kid is going to take over the staring job as a wake-up call to parker if his play remains as sporadic as it has been, i dont think he'll keep it becuase at this point parker is better, but beno's jumper which from what i have heard is very smooth, could make him more valuble come playoff time than tony.

Dex
11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
I WOULD start to argue that with the money they just promised Tony, there is no way they would let him come off the bench.

Then I look at how much Rose is getting paid to sit in the doghouse, and come to the realization that with Pop, it's never about how much you make, but how well you play.

SequSpur
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
We'll see what purse boy does against the better teams. He doesn't impress me at all.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
sequ there are very few players that do, in fact i doubt you could name five nba players you actually like

SequSpur
11-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Duncan, Parker, Bowen, Barry, Brown, Jax, Claxton, A. Miller, TMac, V. Carter.....

STFU.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-15-2004, 07:49 PM
STFU.

oh, so hostile young chicken little, just beacuse your very short..........

smeagol
11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Duncan, Parker, Bowen, Barry, Brown, Jax, Claxton, A. Miller, TMac, V. Carter.....

STFU.

I thought you also liked Manu . . .

T Park
11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
V. Carter

you call Rasho a puss, but then you like this guy??

Midget hypocrit.

SequSpur
11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
You're stupid. Vince Carter is kicking ass.

pjjrfan
11-15-2004, 10:15 PM
After the game on Sat. Beno was interviewed by Shoening on the radio as the player of the game, and one interesting thing that Beno said, his english is very good btw, is that he quizzes the players about the other teams pt. guards so that he can have a head start as to what they like to do and have a better chance of defending them. the other thing he said is that he is only nervous before the game, once he gets on the floor, he just plays and tries to do what the team wants him to do. I like the guy, he moves the ball around, never holds it to long and keeps everyone involved. Once he gets his confidence down, I think he will really surprise everyone in the league.