PDA

View Full Version : Clippers not close to a deadline deal

Darkwaters
02-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Clippers Plan To Sign Von Wafer
21st February, 2007 - 5:59 am
L.A. Times -
The Clippers are expected to soon sign guard Von Wafer from the development league to a 10-day contract, team sources said Tuesday.

As for a potential major move before Thursday's trading deadline, the Clippers are not close to completing a deal.

General Manager Elgin Baylor and Coach Mike Dunleavy do not comment on trade talks, but sources said other teams have continued to inquire about disgruntled sixth man Corey Maggette.

Maggette, who says he dislikes playing under Dunleavy, would prefer to play elsewhere. Owner Donald T. Sterling, however, is not interested in trading Maggette.

A Clippers roster spot opened because Christie, in a letter sent to the team during the All-Star break, declined to complete his second 10-day contract, which would have expired after Tuesday's game against the Phoenix Suns at Staples Center.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44800/20070221/clippers_plan_to_sign_von_wafer/

Shawn Carter
02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I wouldnt believe it. Were lookin at movin Vince to tha Clips for Maggette while we dish Kidd to the Lakers. Its in the works...

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
The Clippers are expected to soon sign guard Von Wafer from the development league to a 10-day contract, team sources said Tuesday.
I don't know why they're screwing around with these retread vets hoping they'll salvage their year. They'd be better off auditioning a guy lke Von Wafer who is shooting lights out from the arc this season--of course that's what they did with Luke Jackson, but Wafer doesn't have bad knees.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1421531&postcount=8

This calls for a minor-league kluby.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Nicely done.

Seems like Clips could have done Posey+Kapono for Maggs at one point but said no. Last I saw, Kapono shoots pretty well.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
There could be alot of pressure on the Clips to make a deal now. Most of the reportage about Sterling's not wanting to deal Maggette was before last night's crapfest. As it is, they only have two rotation players that can shoot the three at all. Of course the problem is Maggette is often the best player the Clippers have.

Darkwaters
02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
maggy stays for the reminder of the season.

Was that a freudian slip?

What are you trying to say here? Maggette's dysfunctional self is going to stay to remind the team how dysfunctional the season has gotten?

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
maggy stays for the reminder of the season.Clippers go back to the lottery and start over again with a new coach.

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Clippers go back to the lottery and start over again with a new coach.

Elton Brand asks to be traded...

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Watched him very closely last night versus the Suns in a blowout. Contrary to popular opinion (even mine), he is a more proficient passer than I thought. Even in his mentally unclear state, his skill set is valuable to the Clippers.

There's no doubt he would be a good fit with the Spurs and could help them overcome those anemic offensive woes they seem to have.

MajorMike
02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
From what I've heard, it is all or nothing with the Nets. If Kidd goes, they will take what they can get for Vince. If Kidd doesn't go, neither will Vince.

MoSpur
02-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I am a big Clippers fan. Of course the Spurs come first, but I've followed the Clippers for about seven years or so now and I'd hate to see Maggette leave, but I'd love to see him with the Spurs. I think Sterling will stick to his guns. He is stubborn. He is the type of owner who will keep Maggette even though Maggette and Dunleavy don't get along.

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I am a big Clippers fan. Of course the Spurs come first, but I've followed the Clippers for about seven years or so now and I'd hate to see Maggette leave, but I'd love to see him with the Spurs. I think Sterling will stick to his guns. He is stubborn. He is the type of owner who will keep Maggette even though Maggette and Dunleavy don't get along.

If he cannot get what he considers fair value for Maggette, I guess I can't blame him. However, he must be concerned with team chemistry.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Miami might be off the table. I think I saw something along those lines. Utah seems interested, with Giricek, Araujo, Ronnie Brewer, and a first in the offer. Needless to say, I don't think any offer is enticing, and I think David Aldridge's comments last night on TNT about LAC using Maggette to upgrade to someone like Vince Carter is more likely what they want. They probably screwed up by not dealing for Iverson.

My money says Maggette stays put. They deal with him in the offseason.

Mr. Body
02-21-2007, 03:59 PM
There's a telling moment in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, long after the paint had dried. Off an Aaron Williams steal on the other end, Daniel Ewing brings the ball up with the Clips down 22. He swings it over to James Singleton way out on the near side arc. James fakes the three - he has just sunk one - then dribbles back up top and returns the ball to Ewing. Not to be deterred from executing this phenomenal two-man game with Singleton 25 feet from the basket, Ewing returns the ball to Singleton, who has TT setting a screen on James Jones, with Pat Burke hedging. Singleton can't decide what he wants to do. Meanwhile, Corey floats in and out of your television screen, about 25 feet from the basket beyond the top of the arc. When Corey does appear, it's an all too familiar pose - weight on his back foot, eyes on the ball, wearing a nothing-you-have-over-there-is-better-than-Corey-Maggette-isolating-on-Raja-Bell expression. As Singleton holds the ball, Maggette keeps sliding ball side, so that at :09, there isn't a single Clipper on the weak side. The ball goes over to Corey, who is straddling the arc. When the ball lands in Corey's hands, Aaron Williams - bless his heart - sets a screen on Bell, which opens up the entire left side for Corey against Amare on the switch. Meanwhile, Thomas has just shifted up to his spot. With :08, Corey can drive, kick it back out to Thomas, or ... of course ... shoot the ball. For Corey, proximity to the ball always takes precedence over how he can help space the floor in a halfcourt set. Damned if he'll ever settle for being a skip pass away.

From clipperblog.com. Everything I've heard about Maggette from people who watch him constantly points to him not being a Spurs-type player. And these are from people who like him. I think the "but he'll change here!" justifications are a bit wishful and the Spurs F.O. is a bit more conservative with their puppies-n-rainbows wishing around.

SenorSpur
02-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh well, DeMarr Johnson anyone?

T-Pain
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I wouldnt believe it. Were lookin at movin Vince to tha Clips for Maggette while we dish Kidd to the Lakers. Its in the works...
whatever you say Jay

Supergirl
02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Christie declined to play out another 10 days? Considering he came out of retirement for that gig, things must be BAAAAAAAAD in the Clipper lockerroom if he couldn't finish out another 10 days.

I mean, the worst job in the world is do-able for 10 days, especially if you're making what these guys are making.

AFBlue
02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Can the teams trade on Thursday? Or does it end Wednesday night?

Thursday until 3 P.M. Eastern time....