PDA

View Full Version : WoooHooo! Van Hal........Well, Maybe Not

02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Tour over before it started? Wait..What? (http://www.melodicrock.com/)

ChumpDumper
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
:lol On the same page, there are stories about Night Ranger, Tiffany, Jane Child and the Hooters. It's like a time machine.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
if it happens, it will be sweet. down with van haggar, long live van halen!
(waits for spurminator's defense of van haggar) :toast

Spurminator
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
if it happens, it will be sweet. down with van haggar, long live van halen!
(waits for spurminator's defense of van haggar) :toast

Damnnnn, you have a good memory... :lol I think it's been at LEAST 2 years since I've had a Hagar vs. Roth argument.

I'd love to see them put all egos aside for a combined tour... they could even have a surprise Gary Cherone appearance in the encore. Nah, scratch that.

leemajors
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Damnnnn, you have a good memory... :lol I think it's been at LEAST 2 years since I've had a Hagar vs. Roth argument.

I'd love to see them put all egos aside for a combined tour... they could even have a surprise Gary Cherone appearance in the encore. Nah, scratch that.

might as well throw cherones in the mix. didn't roth and haggar tour together in the last few years? i think alex's head would explode if they all toured together...

Spurminator
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I think the Roth/Hagar solo tour ended prematurely due to conflict over who would open and who would close. I could be wrong.

Fabbs
03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I think the Roth/Hagar solo tour ended prematurely due to conflict over who would open and who would close. I could be wrong.
Yep, Dave said it himself to Howard Stern, altho he colored it extensively ala Dave style.

Choose whichever side one wants, but i found and find Hagar to much more believeable and honest. Daves Spicoli act (only a much less polite and much more self absorbed Spicoli) is very old and very tired.

Hagar summed it up nicely for at least the Hall of Fame intro: "I hope we can all just realize that we needed each other and go on the stage together. Not get into some old who was better contest".

Lest i come across as a Dave Hater, i was told after the VH1 split that the vast majority of roadies, administation, etc working people all chose to keep working with Dave as opposed to the Van Halens. Eddie seems like a critical miser.

Good tribute band out here in SoCal if one wants the original Van Halen captured. "Atomic Punks". In fact David Lee Roth has now twice snatched up their lead guitarist to come on tour with him. I do not know how the current replacement lead is. They do Vegas and some other spots regularly.

Told the best by a friend who saw both tho "Yellow Brick Road" aka RockShow. Name of a classic rock Tribute band in Las Vegas, NV. The band formed in 1997 as a Tribute to Elton John (using the namesake of the classic album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road), but since then has morphed into a Multi-Tribute act, replicating the music of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Van Halen, and other classic rock greats. The band also performs as the cast of RockShow!. http://www.rockshowvegas.com/index.html

leemajors
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
diamon dave is a total, utter jackass - this cannot be debated. the reason i prefer van halen to van haggar is what dave brought to the band though.

Xolotl
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Wow according to that page Megadeth is coming to town...that would be badass

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Can somebody make sure KEDA hasn't hung himself?

pooh
03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Now "Heaven and Hell" is coming to SA on May 1st, which is "Post-Ozzy Black Sabbath: Dio, Geezer Butler, Vinny Appice, and of course Tony Iomni"

As for the VH reunion. Word is now that Sammy, Dave and ex-bassist Michael Anthony will be attending, but the VH brothers have booked a separate table for themselves and their familes. They're not playing for sure at the ceremony. One of Duff's fav bands: Velvet Revolver will be playing in their place.

The rumor for the reunion collaspe is that Dave is wanting it to be the "original" four, instead of EVH's son Wolfgang.

katyon6th
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Can somebody make sure KEDA hasn't hung himself?

Do you think he put the Van Halen sticker on his Jaguar?

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Do you think he put the Van Halen sticker on his Jaguar?

I'm trying to remember if he had it or not when I saw it a few weeks ago.

I don't think so.

KEDA
03-07-2007, 11:40 PM
you guys are funny

and no I didnt put the VH stickers on my car, but I do have some Van Halen CDs in the glovebox

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Joel Selvin of the San Francisco Chronicle (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/07/DDGLBOFSKV1.DTL) recently conducted an interview with Sammy Hagar. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On VAN HALEN's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

"Would you have ever guessed? I wouldn't have either. I think I carved out a real stupid career in the sense that I was never loved by the press. I've received some awards with VAN HALEN. We got a Grammy, an American Music Award, MTV Awards and all that stuff. But Sammy Hagar is not the Bruce Springsteen kind of guy.

"I don't know how I screwed up. I haven't screwed up actually. I always had the reputation as a goofball, no respect as an artist, things like that. I never earned that. I told my band when I left VAN HALEN: 'I'm going to warn you guys about one thing — the venture we are going into now, this party we are throwing, we are never going to get respect from anyone. But the fans are going to love us. The fans are going to flock to us. We're going to be as big as anyone, but no one is going to respect us for doing it.' And, sure enough, I was right."

"If I was ever a genius at anything. I found everything I like to do and where I want to live and I rolled it all together. I got a business. I can play music at my business. I love tequila and that whole lifestyle, the Mexican food. I've got a Mexican restaurant. I have the tequila that goes with it. I have the whole lifestyle rolled into one. I love that Cabo Wabo lifestyle, which is beach all day, party all night."

On former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony:

"He's my good buddy. It's not him and us against the others. He got thrown out of the band, too. I don't think Ed and Al are going [to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction]. The word I got from our management is that now they said they're not going. Roth'll be there. S -- , he's there right now. He's already got a room. I'm fine with him. I'm fine with Ed and Al. I don't talk to Eddie. I'm not mad at Eddie. I still love the guy. He's just hard to get along with.

"When we were all going, when they were gonna do their tour with Roth that just blew out — I could have told you that; I bet money that would never happen. I would love to see it. They owe it to the fans. They should do it. I believe it's the right thing for VAN HALEN to do is to do a David Lee Roth reunion. Look how long it's been. It's never worked. This is the fourth abortion. There's a lot of fans out there and they've been waiting a long time for this. And it's gotta happen someday. We did it — they should do it. Before it blew out, everybody was going. But the word now was, from Ed and Al, 'we're not playing.' "

Xolotl
03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm kinda young so I was still little when Roth was in VH, but is Eddie that much of an Ahole? I mean did he just kick out Roth or did he leave to pursue a solo career?

leemajors
03-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm kinda young so I was still little when Roth was in VH, but is Eddie that much of an Ahole? I mean did he just kick out Roth or did he leave to pursue a solo career?

from everything i have ever seen it was eddie and alex vs everyone. i always got the impression that alex was a total jerk, eddie was too wasted to care. when they all got on stage last time to accept an award (forget which ceremony) diamond dave went into his schtick and you could see eddie and alex getting pissed. like they didn't know exactly what he would do with a camera on him.

IX_Equilibrium
03-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I heard Eddie interviewed on Howard Sten a couple of months back. The guy sounds like he lost his mind. Weird mofo.

leemajors
03-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I heard Eddie interviewed on Howard Sten a couple of months back. The guy sounds like he lost his mind. Weird mofo.

he stopped drinking a few years back didn't he? last time i saw him he looked well older than he is.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
he stopped drinking a few years back didn't he? last time i saw him he looked well older than he is.Like hell he gave up drinking. I went to the Dimebag Darrell memorial a couple of years ago and Eddie showed up TRASHED swigging a bottle of wine. He was so obnoxious that Zack Wylde almost punched him in the face.

HeadBanger
03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
EVH is human and an a-hole and makes mistakes just like the rest of us.

leemajors
03-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Like hell he gave up drinking. I went to the Dimebag Darrell memorial a couple of years ago and Eddie showed up TRASHED swigging a bottle of wine. He was so obnoxious that Zack Wylde almost punched him in the face.

hahaha, guess that lasted. i just remember reading stories about him when he was young - case of beer in the basement playing guitar all day. i thought i had remembered something about him giving up drinking. last time i did see him on tv he looked a few steps from the morgue.

Spam
03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, Eddie's another walking Keith Richards.

Shelly
03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Didn't Eddie also have cancer of the tounge?

I think one of the main reasons Valerie divorced him was because he started drinking again. Also, back in the day, it was highly reported that she and DLR did not get along at all.

leemajors
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
During the late 1990s Van Halen was treated twice for tongue and mouth cancer. During an interview with Howard Stern on Sirius satellite radio channel 100 on September 8, 2006, Eddie claimed that holding a metal pick in his mouth 12-14 hours per day while immersed in the electromagnetic radiation of his music studio caused his tongue cancer (despite this seeming scientifically unlikely). He said he continues to smoke because "cigarettes didn't cause the cancer".[10]

Eddie also revealed that he stopped the cancer via an illegal method (the nature of which he declined to specify) in conjunction with a pharmaceutical lab with which he's affiliated in New York state. He said a portion of his tongue was removed and experimented on, and then the technique was performed on him. He said he has lost one third of his tongue, though his speech sounds virtually unaffected. Despite his battles with oral cancer, Eddie has been photographed in public as recently as July 2006 smoking cigarettes.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I think one of the main reasons Valerie divorced him was because he started drinking again. ...i don't think it was the only reason.

exstatic
03-08-2007, 07:32 PM
diamon dave is a total, utter jackass - this cannot be debated. the reason i prefer van halen to van haggar is what dave brought to the band though.
Hair, spandex, and the ability to do the splits? It certainly wasn't a quality voice...they always had to tune the instruments down to accommodate his limited range.

leemajors
03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Hair, spandex, and the ability to do the splits? It certainly wasn't a quality voice...they always had to tune the instruments down to accommodate his limited range.

given eddie's personality, or lack thereof, they needed an entertainer as a frontman.

Shelly
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Well! Here ya go!

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/08/eddie-van-halen-checks-into-rehab/

Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab
Posted Mar 8th 2007 5:52PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music

The long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

exstatic
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
given eddie's personality, or lack thereof, they needed an entertainer as a frontman.
True, but I think those days are past. At this point, Sammy is more fun and a better entertainer. Dave's 50 YO shtick is like some food left on the counter overnight: not very appetizing. When he was in his 20s, that shit was funny, but it's just pathetic now.

leemajors
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
True, but I think those days are past. At this point, Sammy is more fun and a better entertainer. Dave's 50 YO shtick is like some food left on the counter overnight: not very appetizing. When he was in his 20s, that shit was funny, but it's just pathetic now.

some friends of mine saw him here in austin a few years ago, and they said he still puts on a hell of a show. i just never liked hagar very much.

KEDA
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
hey man that suit is looking good! you should get some leg tonight for sure! tell us, how you dooooooooooooooooooo! (hey man give me a break) one break, coming upppppppppppppppppp

Unchained

from the album Fair Warning

the only time Ted Templemann ever spoke on any Van Halen album

BTW thats my favorite VH album, Eddies playing is 2 notches above any other record they ever did.

Shelly
07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003606613

July 03, 2007, 10:00 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
A proposed summer amphitheater tour by a reunited Van Halen that was derailed when guitarist Eddie Van Halen checked into rehab now looks like it may be resurrected as a fall arena run. Several arena holds are in place in major markets for potential Van Halen dates, Billboard.com has learned.

The tour, negotiations for which were first tipped here on Jan. 24, would feature David Lee Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass.

Wheels had been in motion for a 40-date, Live Nation-produced amphitheater tour, with original frontman Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years. Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore.

But the reunion never got off the ground, and Eddie Van Halen entered a rehabilitation facility for undisclosed reasons in March. In the months since, the artist has been seen publicly looking healthy and fit.

The buzz surrounding the prospect of a Van Halen tour with Roth seems to point toward a successful trek. "I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com more than a year ago regarding a tour with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!'"

exstatic
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Why do bass players always get fucked? First, they underpay Michael on the last Van Hagar tour. Now they kick his ass out of the band. I'm convinced that Eddie and Alex hate David as much as or more than Sammy, but they're touring with him because he doesn't give a shit about Michael Anthony. Sammy basically forced them to bring MA on the last tour.

Sadly, this may be the beginning of Eddie's death spiral. I think it would be impossible to have a successful recovery carrying these kinds of grudges forward. What exactly did Michael Anthony do to you , Eddie? Played some dates with Sammy without your "permission"? I would think he would have your undying friendship for 1) all of the years and years and years of inactivity when he stayed with the band, and 2) recording and touring VH III. What a piece of shit THAT was, and he never complained.