PDA

View Full Version : NBA Power Rankings

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 05:49 AM
By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Season record in parenthesis reflects games played through Saturday, November 13th.

Utah Jazz (5-1)
The offseason additions of Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur are already paying dividends, as the Jazz are off to a blazing start. On top of averaging an impressive 102.8 points for the season, their defense has also been stellar -- giving up only 88.0 points per game.

San Antonio Spurs (5-1)
Other than a hiccup against Seattle on the road, the Spurs have played flawless ball. Tim Duncan has looked like his dominating self but the story in South Texas is the emergence of Manu Ginobili. The gold medal winning Argentinean is stuffing the stat sheet.

Dallas Mavericks (6-1)
Despite the loss of Steve Nash, the Mavs are out of the gates fast again this season. Dirk Nowitzki is at the top of his game and the backcourt duo of Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry off the bench can light it up. If they can keep their D respectable, watch out.

Miami Heat (4-2)
The talk around Miami all summer was the addition of Shaquille O'Neal, but now they can't stop talking about Dwyane Wade. The second year player out of Marquette, who is currently out with an ankle injury, is averaging 25.6 points and 7.4 assists per contest.

Seattle Supersonics (5-1)
After getting blown out by the Clippers on opening night, the Sonics have bounced back by winning their last five games. Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis are proving to be a sharp-shooting combo with both players averaging over 22 points per game.

Phoenix Suns (4-2)
The Suns are a team no one wants to face in the playoffs. The ability to put Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson on the floor with Steve Nash makes Phoenix one of the most athletic, fast-paced teams in recent history.

Indiana Pacers (5-2)
With Reggie Miller out with an injury, Jermaine O'Neal hobbled and Ron Artest apparently going crazy, it's a minor miracle that the Pacers are out to a 5-2 start. If the Pacers can heal and get Artest to concentrate on basketball, there is no limit for this team.

Minnesota Timberwolves (3-2)
Though the team has only won three of their first five games, Kevin Garnett is off to an amazing statistical start, averaging 24.8 points, 15.4 rebounds and 7.0 assists. Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell are off to slow starts, but they'll surely come around as the season progresses.

Milwaukee Bucks (3-1)
The Bucks lost their opener but have reeled off their last three games. The trio of Michael Redd, Keith Van Horn and Desmond Mason are off to a solid beginning of their campaign. The key for the season is to find someone who can produce at point guard.

Orlando Magic (3-1)
A season after struggling through a lottery-bound year, the Magic appear to be a team on the rise. Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley have their chemistry, Grant Hill looks like he's back to his old form and 18-year-old Dwight Howard is putting up great numbers.

Detroit Pistons (3-3)
The defending NBA champions have been struggling, which can mostly be attributed to Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups missing action. Larry Brown is also not on the sidelines after hip surgery. Don't expect the Pistons to be .500 for much longer.

Los Angeles Clippers (4-3)
With five of their first seven games on the road, the Clippers have done well to open the season with a 4-3 record. Youngsters Corey Maggette, Chris Wilcox, Elton Brand and Bobby Simmons are all averaging over 15 points and five rebounds per game.

Toronto Raptors (4-3)
After starting the season with three straight wins, the Raptors have come back down to earth by losing three of their next four contests. Their 4-3 record is still impressive considering the wins came against Houston, Detroit, Portland and Utah.

Boston Celtics (3-2)
Five players are averaging double digits for the Celtics, including Ricky Davis who is scoring 16.2 points per game on 54.2% shooting from the field. Boston is getting good inside play by Mark Blount and Raef LaFrentz, but Paul Pierce and Davis remain the key.

Los Angeles Lakers (4-4)
Kobe Bryant is finding life hard without The Big Miami Resident by his side. He's averaging 28.3 points per game but is only shooting 38.9% from the field and 28.6% from beyond the arc. Bryant must improve his shot selection for LA to succeed.

Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3)
Since they tipped off the season with three losses, they've rebounded by winning their next three games. LeBron James must be immune to the idea of a sophomore slump. He's averaging 27.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists while playing 44.8 minutes a night.

Portland Trailblazers (3-3)
With the Western Conference as deep as it is, the Blazers will have to be playing at top form to make the playoffs. So far, they've been playing inconsistent ball outside of the steady play of forwards Zach Randolph and Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Philadelphia 76ers (3-3)
The Sixers have eight players averaging at least 8.8 points per game, with Allen Iverson leading the balanced attack with an average of 26.0 points per contest. AI is doing a good job of running the team as the point guard and is keeping everyone involved.

Sacramento Kings (2-4)
Although a 2-4 record makes it seem like it's time to panic in Sacramento, the Kings have played five of those six games on the road. The club has a five-game home stretch coming up on the schedule, so their record should even out soon.

Washington Wizards (3-3)
The Wizards are a talented team who could create a lot of noise in the East if they can all get on the same page. Antawn Jamison is back to being a go-to option and he's responded by averaging 22.7 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.

Houston Rockets (3-4)
It's been a rollercoaster ride for the Rockets this season. They started off by losing their first two games but then recovered by winning their next three, only to lose their next two. Until Tracy McGrady is comfortable, it's going to be tough for them to score.

Memphis Grizzlies (2-4)
After making the playoffs last year, the expectations are high. Possible due to that pressure, Memphis stumbled out of the gates by losing their first four games. However, they've apparently recovered as they've won their last two games by 26.5 points.

New York Knicks (2-3)
The Knicks have won only two of their first five games and are off to Texas to play the three teams there. If they fall out of the playoff picture, look for Lenny Wilkens to be replaced sooner rather than later. The good news is Stephon Marbury is off to a fast start.

Denver Nuggets (2-4)
The offseason signing of Kenyon Martin has many league pundits picking the Nuggets to move up the ladder in the West. So far, that isn't happening. The Nuggets have started the season 2-4, while Carmelo Anthony is shooting only 35.3% from the field.

New Jersey Nets (2-4)
With Martin in Denver, Kerry Kittles on the Clippers and Jason Kidd nursing his knee, virtually the only recognizable member of the Nets team that reached the Finals twice is Richard Jefferson. Alonzo Mourning is off to a fine start, but he too wants a trade.

Charlotte Bobcats (1-4)
For an expansion team, the Bobcats are off to a commendable start. Though they've lost four of their five contests, the team has played hard and the young players on the squad look promising. This team will struggle to win but the future is bright in Charlotte.

Golden State Warriors (1-6)
The Warriors look like a team going nowhere fast. They have a mix of young players and veterans but the talent isn't there to make a playoff push. Unless players like Jason Richardson and Mike Dunleavy have breakout seasons, this is a guaranteed lottery team.

Atlanta Hawks (1-5)
Losing by over 16 points per game, the Hawks are in for a long season. Antoine Walker and Al Harrington are the two go-to players but outside of that, there isn't much. Though with a lot of young players composing the roster, they should improve greatly throughout the season.

New Orleans Hornets (0-6)
Welcome to the Western Conference, New Orleans. After starting the season 0-6, the Hornets would be lucky to even sniff the playoffs. With attendance lacking, players wanting out and ownership issues, the franchise is coming close to being in crisis mode.

Chicago Bulls (0-4)
Another summer of change and another season of losing. The Bulls are in their familiar spot in the rankings after going winless in their first four contests. The only good news for the Bulls is Luol Deng has started off the season strong and looks like the real deal.

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 05:51 AM
I don't think Power Rankings mean much at all this time a year. But researching to do them definitely brings out a lot of information. It's amazing to me how many minutes LeBron is playing. I know he's young, but dang!

It will be interesting to see how long teams like Dallas, Utah, Seattle etc. will stay near the top of the league.

ducks
11-15-2004, 12:42 PM
who have the jazz beaten?
I am to lazy and busy to look now

I think they beat lakers, nuggets but who else?

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 12:53 PM
11/13/04 W 108-93 vs Detroit

11/10/04 L 104-95 vs Toronto

11/08/04 W 102-91 vs Denver

11/06/04 W 106-82 @ Denver

11/05/04 W 102-80 @ Golden State

11/03/04 W 104-78 vs L.A. Lakers

2pac
11-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Jazz=
Lakers
@GSW
@Denver
Denver
Toronto (loss)
Detroit

Nikos
11-15-2004, 01:07 PM
The Pistons were missing their two best players Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups against Utah. I know Ben Wallace is out cause of his brother, but what is wrong with Chauncey? Is he injured for a few games or what?

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
The Pistons were missing their two best players Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups against Utah. I know Ben Wallace is out cause of his brother, but what is wrong with Chauncey? Is he injured for a few games or what?

Sprained ankle.

tlongII
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
LeBron should be able to handle those minutes without much trouble. The kid's only 19 and he's an absolute STUD! I expect Seattle to drop relatively soon. They've shown a pattern of starting quickly and then dropping in the standings after the first 20-25 games or so.

Solid D
11-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Seattle's only loss (1st game of season @ LAC) was when Danny Fortson was a DNP.

Since the Sonics defeated the Spurs, there is a good argument the Sonics should be rated ahead of the Spurs at this juncture. Neither team has had a particularly tough early schedule.

boutons
11-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Jazz have beaten nobody yet with a record of .500+

Solid D
11-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Utah Jazz (5-1)
The offseason additions of Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur are already paying dividends, as the Jazz are off to a blazing start. On top of averaging an impressive 102.8 points for the season, their defense has also been stellar -- giving up only 88.0 points per game.

All with a 3rd & 4th string PG (Keith McCleod and Howard Eisley). Arroyo and Lopez are out....but the Jazz are basically the deepest team at the point in the NBA. They also have Raja Bell to bring the ball up in a pinch and Bell is their 3rd leading scorer so far.

Very impressive team.

newbiefan
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
probably asking under the wrong "thread??" As stated before just started getting into basketball within the last 2 seasons. I don't remember so many teams scoring 100 and over too much last year . Why is that? Do they usually start off like that in the early season, or is because of some new rulings/ foul calls?? Thanks for educating me about the game

timvp
11-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Good call on that, newbiefan. I think the new rules have something to do with it, but also the defense gets stronger as the season moves on. You won't see many teams average over 100 by the end of the season.

Rummpd
11-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Kori - despite my great respect for your NBA knowledge, I for one feel you have been "Boozered" or "blasted by an AK". It is probably a sexy pick to put the Jazz at one but realistically they don't deserve a rating any higher than 3. Who have they really played? One hot week does not make a "Power"

Utah = very fine team, well coached with some very fine talent = but definetely not the top team in the league. Could they ever win a series against the Wolves or Spurs this year = doubtful. My picks:

Mavs - one loss otherwise scary good.

Spurs - one bad loss otherwise dominating even good teams.

Seattle or Jazz - a step below will see where they are after 25 games, and most likely order will be restored.
Wolves
Pistons
Heat

MadDoc

tlongII
11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
In my opinion that Mavs are playing the best ball in the league right now. I would rank the Spurs right behind them. Utah will fade after 20 games.

Solid D
11-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Rummpd, I don't really see support for your argument about current Power Rankings when you use the argument, or should I say as a question, about who would win a series with the Spurs or Wolves.

I can see strength of schedule as a valid argument but they have beaten 2 decent teams just as SA and Seattle have done. Detroit was without Wallace, but then again, the Heat were without Wade when the Spurs played them. Strength of schedule argument isn't that compelling right now...maybe it will be after a few more games.

Utah hasn't beaten SA in what, 14 tries, and the "overhead cloud" theory might work as an argument but otherwise, it's hard to knock the Utah current ranking.

Power rankings have nothing to do with speculation on who would win a series or a playoff series in May or June.

whottt
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
The Jizz probably could be #1 right now without it being an outrage. This early you can only judge by what teams have done... Utah has been winning games by the largest margins, so it's easy to see an argument for them being the best.....either the Jizz, Sonics or the Mavs should be #1 right now and the Spus should be rounding out the top 4, actually any of the 1 loss teams could be viewed as #1..but the Jazz are winning by blowouts...I'll worry about where the Spurs rank when they start giving a trophy for it...

Edit: Besides we always lose when we get ranked #1 in these things. I am content to hover in the top 5 until the playoffs start.

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Power rankings have nothing to do with speculation on who would win a series or a playoff series in May or June.

That's the point. They aren't projections. They are about who is playing the best basketball this second. The Jazz are playing incredible for not having a point guard. They are beating teams by big margins. The "strength of schedule" argument doesn't really matter because when you beat someone the 2nd game of the season -- it doesn't really matter what the schedule has been so far -- it's too early.

Have you watched the Jazz? They are awesome... and again, I repeat, they haven't had a point guard yet.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/howard_eisley.jpg
What am I, chopped liver?

Kori Ellis
11-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Yep. :lol

Okay, they haven't had their top two point guards yet. I guess it would be like Parker/Beno being down and Wilks running the team. YIKES! Okay, it's not that drastic. The Jazz start Keith McLeod at the point and Eisley comes off the bench.

ducks
11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
LeBron should be able to handle those minutes without much trouble. The kid's only 19 and he's an absolute STUD! I expect Seattle to drop relatively soon. They've shown a pattern of starting quickly and then dropping in the standings after the first 20-25 games or so.

power rankings are how they are playng now not in 25 games

tlongII
11-15-2004, 06:01 PM
power rankings are how they are playng now not in 25 games

What do you know? You're a freaking DUCK!

Rummpd
11-15-2004, 07:22 PM
My comment should have been worded - the Spurs were the consensus number one in the West and what more do you want at this point, especially since the Jazz have not beat them head to head? Except for one stinker the Spurs have rolled over good teams, and look like a championship contender. Morevoer, with Duncan and Ginobli they seemingly now have the one two punch of classically good teams plus depth in shooting with Barry et. al. I do not underestimate at all the Jazz but until the Spurs lose multiple games (what is one loss of 6?) I just don't think they should drop behind a team that hasn't done anything in awhile (and probably won't again this year). No big deal #2 is ok for now!

MadDoc

RobinsontoDuncan
11-15-2004, 07:41 PM
i think carmelo will warm up this season and i still feel the nuggets will be great, i saw this kid at syracuse and he was.... wow, words fail

SequSpur
11-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Jazz?? No way.

Spurs
Sota
Mavs
Troit
then the rest.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I don't know if the Spurs have been playing "flawless ball". The defense has been more erratic at times than we're used to. Except for the loss to the Sonics, they have yet to play a good team at full strength (i.e., the Heat with Wade).

OTOH, it has been pleasant to see that scoring has been up all around the league. Not sure why that is, but I don't think the new rules have anything to do with it. (The only real new rule I can see in effect is that Kobe must shoot FTs every 2 minutes.) It remains to be seen whether this keeps up.

boutons
11-15-2004, 08:07 PM
""flawless ball".

Letting SEA score at a rate of 164 PPG in the 4th quarter was kinda flawed.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, Kori did say except for the Seattle loss.

But the defense wasn't great against the Lakers or Kings, either.

timvp
11-16-2004, 12:46 AM
ESPN's Power Rankings are 1. Mavs, 2. Jazz, 3. Spurs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2005&week=2

boutons
11-16-2004, 01:29 AM
anybody know when was the last time, if ever, that an opponent scored 40 pts in a qtr on a Popavich Spurs team?

ShoogarBear
11-16-2004, 01:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the Mavs have done it once or twice; in fact, they might have done it last year.

timvp
11-16-2004, 01:46 AM
ShoogarBear is correct. The Mavs scored 40 on the Spurs last year at least once. If I remember correctly, the last time was a Mavs game in the beginning of March.

toosmallshoes
11-16-2004, 04:44 AM
the jazz are for real. they finished above .500 last year on the single strength of great coaching. This year after having improved their team with a lot more size and toughness they will finish very high in the rankings. Is there any other team in the NBA than the Spurs that plays with as much toughness and precision as the Jazz? I do agree that Kiralenko is overrated as the star of the team, but put just one real star on the Jazz and they are championship favorites. Until they get that player (teams like the 79 Sonics and the 04 Pistons with no true star don't come around that often) they are not a championship favorite. They need a superstar. That's why the Spurs are better. but the spurs better beware. Utah is coming on fast.

Rummpd
11-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually six games into the season I am very, very happy the ranking's talking heads (this does not include Kori who deserves our ultimate respect always) aren't saying the usual BS about the "Spurs slow start" - as if it means squat usually when all is said and done.

MadDoc

SequSpur
11-28-2004, 12:30 PM
By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Season record in parenthesis reflects games played through Saturday, November 13th.

Utah Jazz (5-1)

SequSpur: Jazz?? No way.

The Jazz shouldn't be ranked in the top 10. When are you going to update this?

Weak.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Umm that's from 2 weeks ago. It's been updated twice since then.

SequSpur
11-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Miami and Seattle ahead of San Antonio? Since, the jumpstarters are getting brownie points, might as well put Memphis and Toronto ahead of them as well.

Spurs are #1 in the power rankings. Its not even close. If you put them #1, you won't have to worry about cutting and pasting a team somewhere else.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2004, 12:41 PM
The Spurs are already number 1 this week. The new rankings aren't published yet, they come out tonight.