PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Ginobili runs spark Spurs

kolko
02-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Ginobili runs spark Spurs: Reserve's 24-straight points and his fourth-quarter push help sink Hawks

Web Posted: 02/22/2007 12:05 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

ATLANTA — When Spurs coach Gregg Popovich decided to move Manu Ginobili to the bench two weeks ago, he explained the lineup change by saying he hoped the frenetic guard would give the team's reserve unit a jolt of energy, a little punch and some much-needed consistency.

And if Ginobili just so happened to occasionally pour in 40 points or even decide to reel off 24 in a row, well, all the better.

Ginobili did all that and more in Wednesday's 103-96 victory over the Atlanta Hawks, taking over the game with an electric 4-minute, 47-second stretch in the first half, then helping rescue the Spurs in the fourth quarter.

Tim Duncan added 30 points as the Spurs escaped Philips Arena with a rare victory and extended their winning streak to four games, but the evening belonged to Ginobili. His 40 points were the most by a Spur this season and matched his second-most ever with the team, eclipsed only by the 48 he scored in an overtime victory against Phoenix on Jan. 21, 2005.

The 24 consecutive points Ginobili ran off in the first half — a run that had his slack-jawed teammates standing and cheering from the bench — also broke George Gervin's longstanding franchise record of 23 in a row set on April 9, 1978.

"Manu was obviously pretty special," Popovich said. "He does everything a little differently than most players.

"I don't even know what he's going to do half the time. I just watch like you all do."
Ginobili's performance also almost went for naught. With Joe Johnson leading the Hawks with 30 points and Zaza Pachulia adding 23, the Spurs surrendered a 14-point lead in the third quarter.

After Atlanta tied the score at 70 to start the fourth, Popovich gave his weary team a message.

"We're playing one quarter," Popovich said. "Next week, next game, next year, playoffs — nothing matters except this quarter."

Ginobili then took the floor, made a pair of free throws, bounced in a 3-pointer and buried a 16-foot fadeaway. The Spurs never relinquished the lead and gained their second victory in the past five trips to Atlanta.

"He was incredible," Duncan said.

Duncan wasn't too bad, either. He made 11 of 16 shots and scored 17 of his points in the second half.

"I don't care how you cut it," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "When you have a low-post player like Duncan, it just makes it tough on any team."

The Spurs needed both Duncan and Ginobili to help compensate for Tony Parker's rough night.

Bothered by tendinitis in his right knee and tired from a long All-Star weekend, Parker labored as much as he has all season. He had just two points and three fouls in 10 first-half minutes and Popovich began the third quarter with Jacque Vaughn on the floor in place of Parker.

Parker missed nine of his first 10 shots (and finished 3 for 14), but buried a clutch jumper that hiked the Spurs' lead to 91-82 with 3:51 left.

"That," Popovich said, "really showed his experience and maturity."

Brent Barry scored 11 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and the Spurs made 29 of 32 free throws (90.6 percent) to hold off the Hawks.

Both teams looked tired from having played the previous night — until Ginobili stepped onto the court.

Ginobili scored the Spurs' final eight points of the first quarter then continued his surge into the second. On the Spurs' next six possessions, he: drove for a three-point play; made a pull-up jumper; raced to the basket, absorbed a bump and foul from Josh Smith and flipped in a shot with his back turned; buried a 3-pointer; drove for another layup; and pump-faked Marvin Williams into the air for a foul that led to three more free throws.

"I started feeling well and Pop started calling every single play for me," Ginobili said. "All of them worked."

With 9:40 left in the second quarter, the scoreboard read Ginobili 24, Hawks 23.

"What's awesome is when you're a road team and you have a guy get going like that," Barry said. "Then you start to hear the home crowd start to cheer for that guy.

"Even though they're rooting for their team, they kind of love to see individual performances like that happen. You buy a ticket and you get to see something special."

* * * GINOBILI'S RUN

Manu Ginobili came off the bench with 6:46 left in the first quarter and scored 24-straight points for the Spurs against the Hawks on Wednesday.

2:27 -- when he scored his first basket

24-9 -- Spurs run that was all Ginobili

8 of 11 -- field goals

7 of 7 -- free throws

40 -- New season-high point total

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022207.01D.BKNspurs.hawks.gamer.12f1234.html)

J.T.
02-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Manu channelled Jesus to win this game.

T Park
02-22-2007, 01:33 AM
barry''s 4th quarter could've helped to sell other teams on trading for him

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-22-2007, 01:35 AM
With 9:40 left in the second quarter, the scoreboard read Ginobili 24, Hawks 23. :lol

hitmanyr2k
02-22-2007, 01:37 AM
The 24 consecutive points Ginobili ran off in the first half — a run that had his slack-jawed teammates standing and cheering from the bench — also broke George Gervin's longstanding franchise record of 23 in a row set on April 9, 1978.

Shouldn't this be an NBA record and not just a franchise record? I believe Michael Jordan had the NBA record at 23 straight points.

kolko
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Shouldn't this be an NBA record and not just a franchise record? I believe Michael Jordan had the NBA record at 23 straight points.Maybe Jordan's record is without the other team scoring. (Although the Bulls lost that game by 3 against the Hawks on April 16, 1987)

~Sweetmelody~
02-22-2007, 02:35 AM
If someone has the game and would be willing to make a copy for me please send me a PM.
I would gladly make a "donation" for tape/dvd :p:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-22-2007, 02:43 AM
Duncan wasn't too bad, either. He made 11 of 16 shots and scored 17 of his points in the second half.

I like how Duncan also has what would be a "great" game, had Ginobili not just made one a little bit better.

I mean 30 and 9 rebounds isn't something to sneeze about.

It's almost like when everyone was going crazy about Manu's crazy 27 point game and Tim also put up 24 and 11 or something against the Pistons.

Man In Black
02-22-2007, 02:58 AM
If someone has the game and would be willing to make a copy for me please send me a PM.

Me too, I only have the first 3 quarters...Stupid DVR locked up. :cry

ginobili fan
02-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Ginobili!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WalterBenitez
02-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Who turned on Manu before playoffs!!?? :bang :bang :bang

WalterBenitez
02-22-2007, 05:28 AM

I could make a small donation either :cooldevil

Bruno
02-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Manu has played very well since his late november back injury. 05' manu is back. :elephant

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Ginobili runs spark Spurs: Reserve's 24-straight points and his fourth-quarter push help sink Hawks

Web Posted: 02/22/2007 12:05 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

ATLANTA — When Spurs coach Gregg Popovich decided to move Manu Ginobili to the bench two weeks ago, he explained the lineup change by saying he hoped the frenetic guard would give the team's reserve unit a jolt of energy, a little punch and some much-needed consistency.

And if Ginobili just so happened to occasionally pour in 40 points or even decide to reel off 24 in a row, well, all the better.

Ginobili did all that and more in Wednesday's 103-96 victory over the Atlanta Hawks, taking over the game with an electric 4-minute, 47-second stretch in the first half, then helping rescue the Spurs in the fourth quarter.

Tim Duncan added 30 points as the Spurs escaped Philips Arena with a rare victory and extended their winning streak to four games, but the evening belonged to Ginobili. His 40 points were the most by a Spur this season and matched his second-most ever with the team, eclipsed only by the 48 he scored in an overtime victory against Phoenix on Jan. 21, 2005.

"Manu was obviously pretty special," Popovich said. "He does everything a little differently than most players.

"I don't even know what he's going to do half the time. I just watch like you all do."
Ginobili's performance also almost went for naught. With Joe Johnson leading the Hawks with 30 points and Zaza Pachulia adding 23, the Spurs surrendered a 14-point lead in the third quarter.

After Atlanta tied the score at 70 to start the fourth, Popovich gave his weary team a message.

"We're playing one quarter," Popovich said. "Next week, next game, next year, playoffs — nothing matters except this quarter."

Ginobili then took the floor, made a pair of free throws, bounced in a 3-pointer and buried a 16-foot fadeaway. The Spurs never relinquished the lead and gained their second victory in the past five trips to Atlanta.

"He was incredible," Duncan said.

"I don't care how you cut it," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "When you have a low-post player like Duncan, it just makes it tough on any team."

The Spurs needed both Duncan and Ginobili to help compensate for Tony Parker's rough night.

Bothered by tendinitis in his right knee and tired from a long All-Star weekend, Parker labored as much as he has all season. He had just two points and three fouls in 10 first-half minutes and Popovich began the third quarter with Jacque Vaughn on the floor in place of Parker.

Parker missed nine of his first 10 shots (and finished 3 for 14), but buried a clutch jumper that hiked the Spurs' lead to 91-82 with 3:51 left.

"That," Popovich said, "really showed his experience and maturity."

Brent Barry scored 11 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and the Spurs made 29 of 32 free throws (90.6 percent) to hold off the Hawks.

Both teams looked tired from having played the previous night — until Ginobili stepped onto the court.

Ginobili scored the Spurs' final eight points of the first quarter then continued his surge into the second. On the Spurs' next six possessions, he: drove for a three-point play; made a pull-up jumper; raced to the basket, absorbed a bump and foul from Josh Smith and flipped in a shot with his back turned; buried a 3-pointer; drove for another layup; and pump-faked Marvin Williams into the air for a foul that led to three more free throws.

"I started feeling well and Pop started calling every single play for me," Ginobili said. "All of them worked."

With 9:40 left in the second quarter, the scoreboard read Ginobili 24, Hawks 23.

"What's awesome is when you're a road team and you have a guy get going like that," Barry said. "Then you start to hear the home crowd start to cheer for that guy.

"Even though they're rooting for their team, they kind of love to see individual performances like that happen. You buy a ticket and you get to see something special."

* * * GINOBILI'S RUN

Manu Ginobili came off the bench with 6:46 left in the first quarter and scored 24-straight points for the Spurs against the Hawks on Wednesday.

2:27 -- when he scored his first basket

24-9 -- Spurs run that was all Ginobili

8 of 11 -- field goals

7 of 7 -- free throws

40 -- New season-high point total

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022207.01D.BKNspurs.hawks.gamer.12f1234.html)

Sorry Ice Man,It´s Ginobili era time. :clap

sanman53
02-22-2007, 07:43 AM
My girlfriend gave me boxseat tickets for Valentines Day for this game. We drove all the way from Louisville, KY to Atlanta. I just got back.

Obviously, Manu played with a lot of energy last night. I also liked the effort Elson brought to the game. I am not sure what the boxscore says about him, but I like his desire to win.

Something I noticed about our rebounding is that no one jumped for the rebound. It is like they all stood there waiting for the ball to land in their hands. I am no basketball coach, but I would think we could've gotten a few more rebounds if we jumped for the rebound.

I know people here have been saying this a lot, but I just noticed it tonight. Vaughn is a good backup PG, if he doesn't shoot and sticks to passing.

It was nice to see all the Spurs fans at the Phillips Arena. At some points of the game, the Spurs fans were a lot louder than the Hawks fans (Joe Johnson is GOOD!)

Overall, against the Hawks, I thought we played very well for the second game of the back-to-back. We didn't look very tired, and we all played with energy, thanks to Manu!

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I guess,we are not gonna see any more¨let´s trade Manu before he is too old¨kind of stupid threads for the rest of the year
:reading

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I guess,we are not gonna see any more¨let´s trade Manu before he is too old¨kind of stupid threads for the rest of the year
:readingI would put money down on seeing exactly that.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 09:07 AM
I like how Duncan also has what would be a "great" game, had Ginobili not just made one a little bit better.

I mean 30 and 9 rebounds isn't something to sneeze about.

It's almost like when everyone was going crazy about Manu's crazy 27 point game and Tim also put up 24 and 11 or something against the Pistons.

Duncan putting up 30, despite being continually frustrated with no-calls and out-of-sync on offense, is a testament to just how good he is.

Having said that, Manu's aggressiveness was what saved the Spurs last night. The Hawks had no answer in the paint for a slasher or quick mover....one reason why I was disappointed that Tony was passive and settled for jumpshots.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 09:08 AM

You might see a "Let's trade Manu while his value is most likely at it's peak" threads though...

SAGambler
02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Gotta give Barry a lot of credit for taking up the slack for Tony too. And that steal towards the end was a thing of beauty....

I think this lineup is working great for the Spurs.

And when the Spurs start winning games because they are hitting 90% of their free throws......Well, you just know things are going your way.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Gotta give Barry a lot of credit for taking up the slack for Tony too. And that steal towards the end was a thing of beauty....

I think this lineup is working great for the Spurs.

And when the Spurs start winning games because they hitting 90% of their free throws......Well, you just know things are going your way.

I liked Barry being on, hated Finley being off...

But as long as both aren't having poor games, the Spurs should be able to mask their inability to create offense when shots aren't falling.

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
You might see a "Let's trade Manu while his value is most likely at it's peak" threads though...

I know that,but I don´t really think we can get someone as good as he is in return.Considering that a guy like manu in other teams make around 15 to 17 M P/year.(or more)So..............No Thanx :fro

beirmeistr
02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Is there a website where one can legally buy this particular game?

WalterBenitez
02-22-2007, 10:14 AM

no sure, take a look at nba.com

~Sweetmelody~
02-22-2007, 11:29 AM

They have a two minute video highlight (which I can't see! )

http://www.nba.com/

I didn't find anything on purchasing a legal DVD

lefty
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I think u can buy NBA games art Google Video

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Just Wait and buy the 2006-2007 NBA championship DVD in July. :fro
you´ll see the best of the spurs there.

SequSpur
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Manu should've been an allstar.

Jimcs50
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Hardly

hitmanyr2k
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM

All-star? The all-star game is too small for Ginobili.

rascal
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Now is the best time to trade Manu.

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM

damn right,for a 25 Michael Jordan.no less tham that.

Nikos
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM

Why, he is 29 years old. Why would his trade value even be high?

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Why, he is 29 years old. Why would his trade value even be high?

I'm sorry, did you missed his 40 point explosion yesterday in which he railed off 24 points while completely taking over a game??

There aren't that many players in this league who can score like Manu and play tenacious defense. He is also an underrated shooter and passer. He was in the all-star conversation even though he didn't get selected. About his age, 29 is not old. He's still considered to be in his "prime" years. Manu's value, though not at 2005 all-star level, is still quite high.

bigfundamental21
02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
The video highlight is pretty good, but it is better to see it in real game action. Google or NBA.com probably has the full length game.

Pugglekicker_21
02-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Ginobili is God!

SequSpur
02-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Don't worry, Ginobili will score 8 tomorrow and the world will be back on its normal axis.

smeagol
02-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm speachless.

Nikos
02-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry, did you missed his 40 point explosion yesterday in which he railed off 24 points while completely taking over a game??

There aren't that many players in this league who can score like Manu and play tenacious defense. He is also an underrated shooter and passer. He was in the all-star conversation even though he didn't get selected. About his age, 29 is not old. He's still considered to be in his "prime" years. Manu's value, though not at 2005 all-star level, is still quite high.

Well for one he isn't a terribly durable player. Well atleast Pop and most Spurs fans don't seem to think so. He wouldn't be of large value to a team that simply needs one player who can score 22ppg and play 40mpg.

A team that needs a 2nd/3rd scorer and has all the other pieces? Sure, Ginobili could help make a very good team excellent. But he probably has two more very good years barring any freak accidents (::keeps fingers crossed::).

The Spurs could not get anyone in return as good or better than Ginobili would be for the team this season. No other teams perceive him as an all star player, and even if they do he is borderline -- coupled with the fact he is 29. He simply isn't durable enough at his age now to play 37mpg+ and carry the load for a bad team.

I could be wrong, but I just get the feeling Manu could not really get a player who is equal or greater in value to the Spurs. That doesn't mean I don't think he is an excellent player who is capable of paying like a borderline superstar in the playoffs. But he still has to prove himself again. Even if he does return to his old form, it doesn't mean he has great trading value at this point in his career.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Don't worry, Ginobili will score 8 tomorrow and the world will be back on its normal axis.
Actually Manu usually does that after a good game. Pulls back, like in the Pistons game after his Game 1 spectacular. He started dishing out more cuz everyone expected him to go nuts and score, but he racked in a lot of assists in game 2. I think he still managed to get 20 something points off 10 shots or something, however.

And a big, big reason why Manu scored 40 points was Pop called all the plays for him for once! He literally and figuratively unleashed him for that game. It's right there in the article. So in that essence, coupled with Manu feeling it, and him making all his shots. Manu is being reined in. Of course I'd rather Manu save himself for the playoffs, but I don't mind a stellar performance, reminiscent of the Maniac games he has. In fact he needs these kind of games every now and then. He didn't have one last year because of his ankles and that shook his confidence.

It means something that if Manu is allowed enough plays to get into rhythm, he'd probably average higher points as a scorer. We've seen guys like Kobe, Arenas have bad nights. Though they're better, they maintain their average because they'll have 25 shots.

Dude, he's taken for granted if he has to maintain such efficiency as a SG. By averaging 17 points this season with fewer minutes and as a third fiddle.

Manu's 8 point games are usually when he's only taken fewer shots, or has no plays called as the main offensive weapon. When ask he'll try to do the dirty work, and take a backseat to Tim and Tony.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-23-2007, 09:37 PM
No other teams perceive him as an all star player, and even if they do he is borderline -- coupled with the fact he is 29. .
True, I agree with most reasons why he isn't the most tradeable in terms of superstars. But I think I agree with this statement, given the opportunity, teams would love to have Manu for the right offer. He's too much of a unique player, for them not to consider it.

But San Antonio won't budge. Besides Manu's perfect for the Spurs, because he'll rather play for a contender than a weaker team, where he can shine more individually. Though I think if he went to the Suns, he wouldn't mind playing there. He'd be one of the only ones who played D however.

ArgSpursFan
02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Actually Manu usually does that after a good game. Pulls back, like in the Pistons game after his Game 1 spectacular. He started dishing out more cuz everyone expected him to go nuts and score, but he racked in a lot of assists in game 2. I think he still managed to get 20 something points off 10 shots or something, however.

And a big, big reason why Manu scored 40 points was Pop called all the plays for him for once! He literally and figuratively unleashed him for that game. It's right there in the article. So in that essence, coupled with Manu feeling it, and him making all his shots. Manu is being reined in. Of course I'd rather Manu save himself for the playoffs, but I don't mind a stellar performance, reminiscent of the Maniac games he has. In fact he needs these kind of games every now and then. He didn't have one last year because of his ankles and that shook his confidence.

It means something that if Manu is allowed enough plays to get into rhythm, he'd probably average higher points as a scorer. We've seen guys like Kobe, Arenas have bad nights. Though they're better, they maintain their average because they'll have 25 shots.

Dude, he's taken for granted if he has to maintain such efficiency as a SG. By averaging 17 points this season with fewer minutes and as a third fiddle.

Manu's 8 point games are usually when he's only taken fewer shots, or has no plays called as the main offensive weapon. When ask he'll try to do the dirty work, and take a backseat to Tim and Tony.

That´s true.
Pop usually calls plays for Tim and Tony first and if they´re kind of turned off,he calls some for manu after that,and if manu is ON FIRE,He just calls all the plays for him.
I think thats how the spurs Of.works most of the time.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Poor persecuted Manu.

ArgSpursFan
02-24-2007, 08:50 AM
True, I agree with most reasons why he isn't the most tradeable in terms of superstars. But I think I agree with this statement, given the opportunity, teams would love to have Manu for the right offer. He's too much of a unique player, for them not to consider it.

But San Antonio won't budge. Besides Manu's perfect for the Spurs, because he'll rather play for a contender than a weaker team, where he can shine more individually. Though I think if he went to the Suns, he wouldn't mind playing there. He'd be one of the only ones who played D however.

Of course not,He wouldn´t mind at all averaging 25+ppg and in other hands,Nash would average at least 2 more asts p/game with manu besides him.
But He don´t want to leave the spurs,he has a special feeling for the team and most important ,the city and fans in SA.I think people in S.A.should consider that also when It comes to start talking about trading a guy who has putted his Ego behind to stick to the spurs.and only averages half of what he potentionaly can or is able to,as far as ppg/rpg/apg/mpg.

ArgSpursFan
02-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Poor persecuted Manu.

BTW.Good Morning Chump.

MmP
02-24-2007, 09:21 AM
At least you won't be able to say he lost his prime again...