PDA

View Full Version : Sixers try to acquire Butler and Spurs turn them down

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Forgive me if this is already posted, I just got home from Vegas and haven't read all the threads.

Latest trade buzz headlined by Kidd, Bibby
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive

Much to the delight of Clifford Robinson, I convinced Jason Kidd to talk tonight by calling him Barry Bonds.

I was waiting by Kidd's locker Wednesday night to speak to him prior to what may have been his last game for the New Jersey Nets, but when Kidd emerged from the trainer's room he didn't make eye contact with me or anyone else as he fiddled with his iPod, checked his Blackberry and put on his uniform shorts, right leg first, then left.

Kidd turned and walked away without a word, so I called to him, "Hey, Barry Bonds. Aren't you going to talk?"

I covered Bonds back when I was dabbling in baseball writing, and that's how he acts.

Robinson appreciated the joke, and Kidd apparently did, too, because he came back from the trainer's room two minutes later and relented.

Making it clear that he would not mind at all if a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers goes through, Kidd said the big difference between what's going on now in New Jersey and what happened the last two times he was traded was that he was blindsided when Dallas moved him to Phoenix and when Phoenix moved him to New Jersey. This time, it's no secret the Lakers are trying to get him.

"This is as much attention as I've ever seen for the possibility of a trade, so we'll see what happens," Kidd said. "I've really enjoyed New Jersey, but things change in this league, and they don't change slowly, they happen fast."

Kidd has been saying for the past two weeks that he learned at an early NBA age to always keep a bag packed, and he said Wednesday such a bag should include a toothbrush, deodorant, a suit and a sweatsuit.

But pressed on the issue, he admitted he does not yet have that bag packed -- which might be just as well, since both the Nets and the Lakers did not expect the trade to come to fruition.

The Lakers spent Wednesday shopping around the league, trying to find something the Nets would want. New Jersey had no interest in the package of players Los Angeles was offering -- some combination of Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Jordan Farmar and a No. 1 pick -- if Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum were not included.

Kidd said he had been told the Lakers were the only team in the mix to acquire him. People familiar with Kidd's thinking said Los Angeles was the only other city where Kidd would be happy playing, and the Nets were being dissuaded from trying to send him elsewhere as a make-good to Kidd for what he had meant to the franchise. Golden State and Sacramento had been mentioned as possible acceptable destinations for Kidd since he grew up in nearby Oakland.

"I don't think [Mike] Bibby is going to end up anywhere close to New Jersey. Maybe somewhere in the Midwest, from what I hear," Kidd said.

In conversations with sources around the league Wednesday, this was the latest I was hearing:

• Kidd's teammate, Vince Carter, also was looking at a possible relocation to Los Angeles, to the Clippers. But for the Nets to make such a trade, they'd have to get back Shaun Livingston -- a player the Clips had refused to part with in earlier talks between the teams -- along with Corey Maggette.

• As Kidd suggested, Cleveland was emerging as the likeliest destination for Bibby. I heard from a very reliable source that the Minnesota Timberwolves were involved in three-team talks with the Kings and Cavs, with Mike James looking like the likeliest replacement at point guard for the Kings. Drew Gooden would headline the package the Cavs would surrender.

There was also talk that a fourth team was trying to get involved, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was Phoenix. I'm told the Suns and Cavaliers have discussed a Marcus Banks-Damon Jones trade as a fallback in the event a Bibby deal fell through. There also was a possibility Banks could go to Sacramento in a four-way Cleveland-Sacramento-Phoenix-Minnesota deal, with the Kings getting one of the two spare No. 1 picks the Suns have at their disposal (their own and Cleveland's). The third No. 1 pick Phoenix owns is a pick owed by Atlanta for the Joe Johnson trade. It is top-three protected in 2007 and unprotected in 2008, and is virtually untouchable.

• The Houston Rockets were discussing at least two moves involving Bonzi Wells, including a trade with Chicago for Michael Sweetney. Another option was believed to be a swap of Wells and a second player to Detroit for Dale Davis and Flip Murray, though Pistons president Joe Dumars was first trying to find a taker for Nazr Mohammed before he committed to a Davis trade.

• Dallas was interested in acquiring P.J. Brown from the Bulls, but Chicago was still waiting to hear whether Jerry West would lower his asking price on Pau Gasol and drop his insistence on receiving Luol Deng in return. Also, the Mavericks were looking to move only Austin Croshere in a trade for Brown, and Chicago does not want Croshere. The only possibility for that trade to happen would be if a third team was willing to take Croshere and give away what the Bulls were looking for -- an effective low-post scorer. Wells proved to be just that in the playoffs for the Kings last season, and the Bulls appeared closer to getting him -- and keeping Brown -- than they were to getting Gasol.

• Another player being shopped was Toronto's Fred Jones, who still stood of a chance of being sent to Portland for Juan Dixon. Philadelphia was another possible destination for Jones, though the 76ers were not willing to give up the one player the Raptors and several other teams coveted: Kyle Korver.

• Under prodding from consultant Larry Brown, the 76ers took a stab at acquiring center Jackie Butler from San Antonio but were rebuffed. Butler and Beno Udrih were the two players the Spurs were listening to offers for.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Beno to Denver for Dermarr.

Under the Spurs he could be that long 3 that replaces Bowen.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I would think if they wanted DerMarr, they would have already gotten him when they looked at him in the past. He can't shoot the 3, can't rebound well for his height, and isn't a very smart player.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I wonder who the sixers were offering?

THE SIXTH MAN
02-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Welcome back Kori.

Big P
02-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Looking at the trade checker, I dont see anybody that we could get for the combined salaries of Beno & Butler. Hunter is the closest one, but I think he is injured & he has 3 years left on his deal.

kolko
02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
I wonder who the sixers were offering?
Apparently, it was Kevin Ollie.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
I would think if they wanted DerMarr, they would have already gotten him when they looked at him in the past. He can't shoot the 3, can't rebound well for his height, and isn't a very smart player.

He hit three three pointers last game against us, they looked like nice shots, not shots that lucked in.

Big P
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
True I missed Ollie, but he is definitly not worth Butler & Beno & he has a year left.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:47 AM
He hit three three pointers last game against us, they looked like nice shots, not shots that lucked in.

He's shooting sub 20% from 3 on the season. And I believe he shoots low 30's for his career.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Looking at the trade checker, I dont see anybody that we could get for the combined salaries of Beno & Butler. Hunter is the closest one, but I think he is injured & he has 3 years left on his deal.

I would love it if the Spurs could get Hunter.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Welcome back Kori.

Thanks.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:49 AM
He's shooting sub 20% from 3 on the season. And I believe he shoots low 30's for his career.

I don't think you can really judge him seeing how he's barely getting any scratch this season.

Look at Jax. In 32 minutes for the Pacers this season he shot .297 from the three. And is a career low 30% shooter.

What was Jax shooting (3 wise) with the Nets the season prior to joining the Spurs?

E20
02-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Too bad it didn't say who or what was offered for them.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:50 AM
I don't think you can really judge him seeing how he's barely getting any scratch this season.

And I believe he shoots low 30's for his career.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I revised my post before reading your post.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Stephen shot .320 during the Spurs title year in 03 when he was Mr. Clutch from the three point line.

Why couldn't Dermarr do something similar?

Actually, looking at their stats from basketball-reference.com Dermarr > Jax from the three.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Stephen shot .320 during the Spurs title year in 03 when he was Mr. Clutch from the three point line.

Why couldn't Dermarr do something similar?

I just don't think the Spurs would be interested. They worked him out before and chose not to sign him. So I'm guessing that their stance is probably still the same unless something drastic happened that I'm not aware of. He has a rep of being a very dumb player.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 01:58 AM
So I'm guessing that their stance is probably still the same unless something drastic happened that I'm not aware of.

The age of the Spurs.

What's the worst that could happen, he's here for two months and isn't resigned.

T Park
02-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Nuggets arent gonna trade him to a team within in the west get real.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Nuggets arent gonna trade him to a team within in the west get real.

Why not? It's not like he's a momentum player.

exstatic
02-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Every blind squirrel...he's shooting sub .200 for the season from 3.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Every blind squirrel...he's shooting sub .200 for the season from 3.

Might be becuase he's not getting any playing time. He's a career .350 three point shooter. Better than SJax.

He shot .350 last season.

T Park
02-22-2007, 02:04 AM
He has a rep of being a very dumb player.

They have Barry and Udrih, thats enough stupidity.

exstatic
02-22-2007, 02:04 AM
His career mark is .338, lukewarm by NBA standards, and his overall FG% is an Iversonian 41%. I agree with Kori that he's a shitty rebounder for his length. She said they've looked at him and kept looking. You wishing it so isn't going to make it so.

His mean mugging after making 3 garbage 3s isn't making me think of him as Spur material, either

T Park
02-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Why not?

:lol You just said why, its inter conference.

Aint happening, Spurs don't want him, and hes a stupid player.

Enough said. Done, dead.

Move on.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:06 AM

Why do you think Barry is a stupid player?

Melmart1
02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
You would think Dermarr is San Antonio the way Buddy Holly has a hardon for him. He is a scrub, at least our scrubs already know the system.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
:lol You just said why, its inter conference.

Aint happening, Spurs don't want him, and hes a stupid player.

Enough said. Done, dead.

Move on.

You mean it's inter-conference like when the Spurs nearly dealt Barry to the Hornets for JR Smith? Or when the Hornets dealt Smith to ther Nuggets? That kind of inter-conference? Was that the first ever trade done by teams within the same conference.

As stupid as Jax was? Because he's a stupid player but we signed him.

Buddy Holly
02-22-2007, 02:09 AM
You would think Dermarr is San Antonio the way Buddy Holly has a hardon for him. He is a scrub, at least our scrubs already know the system.

I simply proposed a trade that filled one of our needs.

Fine, lets keep Beno on the bench looking through Purse's Unlimited Magazine and not aquire someone who could fill in for Bowen while he's resting and who at worst would be gone this summer.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-22-2007, 02:09 AM
I think the bigger note is that the Spurs are "listening" to offers for Butler (and not Barry, maybe).

Melmart1
02-22-2007, 02:11 AM
I simply proposed a trade that helped our need.

Fine, lets keep Beno on the bench looking through Purse Magazine and not aquire someone who could fill in for Bowen while he's resting and who at worst would be gone this summer.
If you are going to trade for someone in the middle of the season, it should be someone smart enough to actually be able to learn and pick up things. By most accounts, Dermarr is not that player. If you are going to make a "lateral move" trade, do it in July. Not in February.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:13 AM
I simply proposed a trade that filled one of our needs.

Fine, lets keep Beno on the bench looking through Purse's Unlimited Magazine and not aquire someone who could fill in for Bowen while he's resting and who at worst would be gone this summer.

I actually used to think DerMarr was a good choice for the Spurs because of his length and tools to be a good defender. I was just pointing out that the Spurs had already given him a couple looks in recent years and passed on him.

mountainballer
02-22-2007, 02:28 AM

I'm not sure that Hunter was part of the (possible) package.
and I can't see the Sixers just offer old Ollie for a young center (even for a disappointing one).
I think they offered Willie Green. did anybody notice, that his minutes have been cut to almost half in February?
and I can also see, why the Spurs turned down the offer. Green fits some of the needs (athletic guard, who can defend), his selfishness and not so good shooting doesn't fit.
Green is making 2.8 million and has another 4 years on his contract. (last 2 are not guarranteed though).

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm not sure that Hunter was part of the (possible) package.
and I can't see the Sixers just offer old Ollie for a young center (even for a disappointing one).
I think they offered Willie Green. did anybody notice, that his minutes have been cut to almost half in February?
and I can also see, why the Spurs turned down the offer. Green fits some of the needs (athletic guard, who can defend), his selfishness and not so good shooting doesn't fit.
Green is making 2.8 million and has another 4 years on his contract. (last 2 are not guarranteed though).

Yeah I don't think Hunter was part of the package either. He's just been my choice for young big man for a couple years now.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 02:43 AM
It's worded strangely, but I don't think the article was saying the trade to Philly necessarily had to be Butler+Beno. It could have just been Butler.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
It's worded strangely, but I don't think the article was saying the trade to Philly necessarily had to be Butler+Beno. It could have just been Butler.

Yeah that's the impression I got as well - that they weren't talking about both to the Sixers.

mountainballer
02-22-2007, 02:46 AM

yes, it was just Butler mentioned. guess Beno was mentioned, b/c people can't even imagine, he might no be dealt. (including myself)

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-22-2007, 05:13 AM
DJ is a great player. Its the coach that sucks :lol

GK is an idiot for pretty much ruining any chance DJ had of having a decent career. DJ was the starting Sg during the Nuggets 32-8 run and thats enough of a stat to tell me that he is what the Nuggets need, but GK wont play him when it counts.

Ask AI which Nugget he hates going against in practice and i bet he says DJ. He can play great D with his long arms and can shoot well. The only thing DJ lacks is confidence and GK is responsible for that

DJ would thrive in San Antonio.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
DJ is a great player. Its the coach that sucks :lol

GK is an idiot for pretty much ruining any chance DJ had of having a decent career. DJ was the starting Sg during the Nuggets 32-8 run and thats enough of a stat to tell me that he is what the Nuggets need, but GK wont play him when it counts.

Ask AI which Nugget he hates going against in practice and i bet he says DJ. He can play great D with his long arms and can shoot well. The only thing DJ lacks is confidence and GK is responsible for that

DJ would thrive in San Antonio.

To me, it's not about how good or bad Johnson is, it's a matter of team fit and duplication of talent. The Spurs already have a guy under contract, in White, who can play/defend the 2 and 3 spots, is long and athletic. He may not be 6'9, but Johnson doesn't "play" 6'9. Johnson is an athletic 2/3 that has two inches on White, but a similar game. I think the Spurs should see what they've got in White first.

Now if Johnson was more of a rebounder and could play the 4 spot....

Aikita
02-22-2007, 07:51 AM

And Finley is a wise brick wall builder, currently working in San Antonio.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Using my CIAPop decoder ring, he'll be moved, but for more than whatever Philly was offering.

Marcus Bryant
02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Using my ST.com cock ring, I predict that the Spurs will make a bad trade involving Butler and the vast majority of the forum will erupt in orgasmic celebration.

Before I forget, Kevin Ollie? Have we sunk that low? The property savant needs to go beat off to pics of a new mixed-use development on the Northside.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Before I forget, Kevin Ollie? Have we sunk that low? The property savant needs to go beat off to pics of a new mixed-use development on the Northside.

I don't think the Spurs have sunk that low, that's why the trade was denied...

Butler in a package to get a contributor, or Butler for another prospect (preferably SF/PF) would be good though...

Darkwaters
02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

The Hornets swung a trade for Hunter last season for a pair of 2nd round picks. The trade was turned down later though after he failed his physical and so the team traded for Marc Jackson/Linton Johnson instead.

Hunter is likely attainable if they want him.

Darkwaters
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
You mean it's inter-conference like when the Spurs nearly dealt Barry to the Hornets for JR Smith? Or when the Hornets dealt Smith to ther Nuggets? That kind of inter-conference? Was that the first ever trade done by teams within the same conference.

The Hornets didn't trade JR Smith to the Nuggets. They traded him and PJ Brown to the Bulls in exchange for Tyson Chandler. The Bulls traded him back to the west later for a pair of second round picks and a garbage player that they waived.

George Gervin's Afro
02-22-2007, 09:37 AM

In other words he's an anti-Spurs player.