PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Udrih draws interest, but likely won't be dealt

kolko
02-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Spurs notebook: Udrih draws interest, but likely won't be dealt

Web Posted: 02/22/2007 12:26 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

ATLANTA — The Spurs certainly haven't been acting like a team wanting to sit out this afternoon's trade deadline.

With several teams looking for help at point guard, one Western Conference official said Beno Udrih's name was in heavy circulation Wednesday night.

While the Spurs aren't looking to dump Udrih — coach Gregg Popovich called him a "great insurance policy" — they would trade him in the right deal.

The team has looked at contingency plans to obtain another point guard should Udrih be moved. Atlanta, which is trying to obtain a veteran point guard in a separate deal, spoke to the Spurs about swapping Royal Ivey for a second-round pick.

One official said there is a scenario where the Spurs would have interest in acquiring the former Texas Longhorn, but called such a trade "unlikely."

The Spurs also continue to explore trade opportunities for Jackie Butler.

Philadelphia executive Larry Brown, who coached Butler in New York last season and recommended him to the Spurs, has again shown interest in the young center. The 76ers seemed willing to do a trade if they also could get a draft pick, but the Spurs didn't like the contract Philadelphia was offering (possibly Kevin Ollie's) in return.
Spurs officials continue to say if they do make a move today it likely would be a minor one similar to last week's trade for Melvin Ely.

Udrih said his agent told him teams have shown interest in him, but he doesn't have a good feel for whether he'll be traded.

"I'm just trying not to worry about it," Udrih said. "It's not in my hands. It's in the (the Spurs') hands."

Udrih hasn't played much in the past two weeks since Popovich elevated Jacque Vaughn to the backup role.

"I just think Jacque is doing a really good job of showing leadership out on the court," Popovich said before Tuesday's game against Denver. "Our team has reacted well to him. He's a really tough competitor.

"I think at this particular time this team needs that coming off the bench. He's provided that for us."

But Popovich also likes having Udrih available if needed.
"He's a great insurance policy," Popovich said. "He's a skilled guy. He can shoot the basketball, he can pass the basketball."

Parker ailing: Tony Parker said the tendinitis in his right knee that bothered him late last season has resurfaced.

Parker struggled Wednesday, making only 3 of 14 shots for six points. He also got hit on the side of his left knee in the first half, but returned.

"I had no lift," Parker said. "I just have to be disciplined and do my treatments and stay on it. It's been for like two weeks now, so I have to keep working on it."

Horry rests: With Matt Bonner back, Popovich opted to rest Robert Horry on Wednesday as he's previously done on the second night of back-to-backs. Bonner had one point and two rebounds in 12 minutes.

Atlanta's pair of 6-foot-9 athletic forwards, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, created matchup problems for the Spurs' other big men. Francisco Elson picked up four fouls in his first eight minutes and Fabricio Oberto went to the bench with his fifth in the third quarter.

"They were aggressive and physical," Popovich said. "We were fortunate to get out of here with a win."

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022207.05D.BKNspurs.udrih.1817803.html)

T Park
02-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Melvin Ely had a great game last year against the same players i think 21 and 8.

Give the guy soem friggen time POP, stop fucking with Oberto

E20
02-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Popovich said. "We were fortunate to get out of here with a win."

He saids that every game regardless of the W or not. :lol

Even when we blow them out by 90 points in the 1Q.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 01:57 AM
"I had no lift," Parker said. "I just have to be disciplined and do my treatments and stay on it. It's been for like two weeks now, so I have to keep working on it."

That sucks. Hopefully he is getting good physical therapy. I know it bothers him a lot from time to time.

Horry For 3!
02-22-2007, 02:47 AM
That sucks. Hopefully he is getting good physical therapy. I know it bothers him a lot from time to time.
Yeah, tendinitis is a bitch. I had that in my right knee when I was a soph in hs. I had to have treatments just about every day and was limited in my weight training. I applaud Tony for playing it out cause I know how it is.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Philly wants Udrih PLUS a draft pick for a what-the-fuck has been like Kevin Ollie?!

bostjan
02-22-2007, 04:33 AM
hello from slovenija,

nice article about udrih at the AllStar game:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/article_20927.shtml

bostjan

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Philly wants Udrih PLUS a draft pick for a what-the-fuck has been like Kevin Ollie?!

No, they want Butler plus a draft pick for a what-the-fuck has been like Kevin Ollie....and that's why they were rebuffed.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
"We were fortunate to get out of here with a win."

He saids that every game regardless of the W or not. :lol

Even when we blow them out by 90 points in the 1Q.

Maybe he does say stuff like that, but this time he was right. Last night the Spurs played sloppy and out-of-synch. If it weren't for the "Manu Show", the Spurs might not have won that game. Even though Duncan ended up with 30, he sure didn't seem tuned in...often getting frustrated with no-calls, etc. Parker was god-awful, Finley couldn't hit, Bowen was fairly ineffective on Johnson, and the Smith/Williams combo was aggressive. I was glad the Spurs came out with a victory (especially since I dropped a buck fifty to go to the game), but the way the Spurs dominated the Nuggets the previous night, I was hoping for a little more than I got.

Bottom Line: With the way the Spurs played last night, they're lucky their opponent was the Hawks and not the 20+ better teams in this league, because it would have been a loss.

angel_luv
02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
hello from slovenija,

nice article about udrih at the AllStar game:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/article_20927.shtml

bostjan

Zivjo. :)

Welcome to the board. hvala for the article. :)

SAGambler
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
While Beno might be a good insurance policy, I think Pop has pretty much ruined Beno to contribute to the Spurs.

Beno needs to go. Both for his sake and the Spurs.

I just wish like hell that Van Ex hadn't shown up here. As much as I used to love his game, I think it ended up ruining the confindence of what could have been a potential great backup for Tony.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Is Royal Ivey as solid of a defender with Atlanta as he was with Texas?

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Is Royal Ivey as solid of a defender with Atlanta as he was with Texas?

He's Vaughn with more size. All defense and energy with no offense to speak of....

MoSpur
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
I would love the Spurs to have Marvin Williams. That dude is very athletic.

SenorSpur
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
He's Vaughn with more size. All defense and energy with no offense to speak of....

If Vaughn had any offensive game to speak of, it probably wouldn't be a bad risk. Other than Tony, there hasn't been any display of offense to speak of from the PG position.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I would love the Spurs to have Marvin Williams. That dude is very athletic.

Loads of untapped potential that will probably not get realized until he plays in a system that utilizes him at SF, with occasional time at PF, instead of employing him as a 4 in an "all-wing" lineup.

Williams' trade value is tough to determine though...

He was drafted the highest of the three SF types (Smith & Childress included), at #2 just two years ago, is young and could potentially be the best of the three (though Smith can be a great), BUT...

Of the three, he clearly produces the least. He also is the most inconsistent and has the most work to do on his game. Unlike Smith and especially Childress, he is often unassertive and seems to "go through the motions" on O & D for long stretches. As of right now, Josh Smith duplicates everything that Marvin does and is better at it.

Again, since it's so early in his career and because of the ongoing ownership dispute, I don't think Williams (or the other two for that matter) are going to be moved anytime in the near future.

When that ownership dispute is settled however, I think there could be major fallout and big personnel changes. If I were GM and had to pick one of the three to move, I would go with Williams because other GMs will give up talent to get his potential and the Hawks will lose the least amount of production from their core guys.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Marvin Williams is not available. They would trade Childress first. No one trades away a top 5 pick so soon unless he's an absolute bust, which Williams is not.

ploto
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Udrih draws interest, but likely won't be dealt

Translation:
Pack your bags, Beno.

ploto
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
If the Spurs were contemplating a trade of a pick for a player then that's too many players-- unless there is also possibly a two for one trade sending out Beno and someone else for one player.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Marvin Williams is not available. They would trade Childress first. No one trades away a top 5 pick so soon unless he's an absolute bust, which Williams is not.

Again, I think it's a moot point because Atlanta won't trade anybody while the ownership dispute is ongoing, but for the sake of argument...

Childress was the #6 pick in the '04 draft, just one spot shy of your "top 5" qualification and just one year earlier, is still young (23), and Atlanta is in love with his scrappy defense & work ethic. I also think that Childress has the least potential of them all, and therefore would fetch the least talent in return.

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I forget Childress was drafted that high. But there seems to be an expiration date for expectations and Marvin Williams' draft was more recent and high profile. Who knows what they do, but Childress is a nice player.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
sheldon williams is also a top5 pick from the hawks if im correct....

mountainballer
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Childress was the #6 pick in the '04 draft, just one spot shy of your "top 5" qualification and just one year earlier, is still young (23), and Atlanta is in love with his scrappy defense & work ethic. I also think that Childress has the least potential of them all, and therefore would fetch the least talent in return.

Atlanta doesn't need to make this big decision right now at deadline.
they can easily end with Durant after the draft (if they win the no.1 or no.2 pick). if so, they will likely move one or even two players out of the group Smith, Childress, Williams. whoever they move, they will get something nice in return. (a good PG)
it would be crazy for them to trade one of thoses players right now, without knowing what they will get from the next draft.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
sheldon williams is also a top5 pick from the hawks if im correct....

And he probably could've been had in the 10-15 range if the Hawks had traded down. Top 5 pick doesn't necessarily mean top 5 talent. Another questionable move by Knight and Hawks FO....

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Atlanta doesn't need to make this big decision right now at deadline.
they can easily end with Durant after the draft (if they win the no.1 or no.2 pick). if so, they will likely move one or even two players out of the group Smith, Childress, Williams. whoever they move, they will get something nice in return. (a good PG)
it would be crazy for them to trade one of thoses players right now, without knowing what they will get from the next draft.

Read the posts above...I said it was a moot point because nothing would get done in the near future. It was just for argument's sake.

The Hawks are bad, but I think they've improved enough to just take themselves out of the running for top 2. But if they get there and draft Durant I will laugh. Atlanta is the only team in the country that should go for a guy like Noah or Brendan Wright over Durant. The LAST thing they need is another SF/PF hybrid type, even if it is Durant.

ploto
02-22-2007, 12:53 PM
All of these teams wanting point guards and the Spurs not playing Beno Udrih at all. So far it doesn't look like it will happen, but do you think the Spurs will be able to find a taker?

Chad Ford: (12:50 PM ET ) I think Indiana is interested though I'm not sure they'll pull off a deal. Seems like all the Spurs want is a little cap relief and a second round pick. Someone will probably make that deal. In fact, I wonder why the Hawks didn't try to get Udrih instead of Johnson.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14718

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd probably take Udrih over Johnson, too. He's cheaper and has more 'upside', even if it's not that high.

ploto
02-22-2007, 01:01 PM
The Pacers were all set to draft Beno with the pick after the Spurs when the Spurs took him. Guess Bird is still interested.

wildbill2u
02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
But Williams production and attitude so far exemplify why drafting, even at the top lottery picks, is not a science and even 'can't miss' college stars sometimes can't immediately, if ever, break into a starting rotation.

And if a highly touted college star like Williams can't bust the Atlanta starting rotation, imagine the confidence of all GMs in the NBA who draft way down in the draft like the Spurs do, year after year.

That's why the Spurs often go for foreign players in the 1st round that they can keep overseas. They don't get guaranteed contracts.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
But Williams production and attitude so far exemplify why drafting, even at the top lottery picks, is not a science and even 'can't miss' college stars sometimes can't immediately, if ever, break into a starting rotation.

And if a highly touted college star like Williams can't bust the Atlanta starting rotation, imagine the confidence of all GMs in the NBA who draft way down in the draft like the Spurs do, year after year.

That's why the Spurs often go for foreign players in the 1st round that they can keep overseas. They don't get guaranteed contracts.

Actual Bill,

He does start for Atlanta, and he plays serious minutes. Also, he was not a superstar in his one year of college (a main reason the Bucks took Bogut), and Atlanta drafted him knowing he'd be a work in progress....

He's just clearly behind two guys in the development curve that happen to play his exact position, and one specifically (Smith) that happens to duplicate his talents almost to a T. He has talent and has the ability to put it together, I just think that Smith & Childress will likely slow that development.

One of them NEEDS to go and any of them could likely fetch a Mike Bibby-type player in return...

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM

They do if you draft them in the first round. Of course drafting at any point in the first round is risky, but Marvin Williams is hardly a bust, and was never a college star. He was drafted on all potential, during a draft year that was fairly week. Remember this was the year Andrew Bogut went #1. Also, consensus had Atlanta bungling the pick, when Chris Paul was still available.

In any case, drafting foreign players is just as risky as drafting domestic players. In fact, it's been riskier for the Spurs lately, since it hasn't paid off at all.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
They do if you draft them in the first round. Of course drafting at any point in the first round is risky, but Marvin Williams is hardly a bust, and was never a college star. He was drafted on all potential, during a draft year that was fairly week. Remember this was the year Andrew Bogut went #1. Also, consensus had Atlanta bungling the pick, when Chris Paul was still available.

In any case, drafting foreign players is just as risky as drafting domestic players. In fact, it's been riskier for the Spurs lately, since it hasn't paid off at all.

Great minds think alike...and so do not-so-great minds.... :lol

SenorSpur
02-22-2007, 01:56 PM

A personnel faux pas that still haunts their franchise and one that alone should have gotten GM Billy Knight fired.

I wish the Spurs would at least balance their drafting some. Lately it seems they have all but ignored the domestic draft pool in favor of the international market. At the very least, they should have balance out their selections by taking the best player, at their draft position, in either market.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
A personnel faux pas that still haunts their franchise and one that alone should have gotten GM Billy Knight fired.

I wish the Spurs would at least balance their drafting some. Lately it seems they have all but ignored the domestic draft pool in favor of the international market. At the very least, they should have balance out their selections by taking the best player, at their draft position, in either market.

Spot on analysis both times Senor. No one knew Paul would be THAT good, but knowing the Hawks needed a PG and Paul was at least going to be a solid pro, he really screwed the pooch. Getting Smith at 17 was his only good move, but the team doesn't have the right leadership/chemistry to take J-Smoove's (that's how they do in the ATL) game to the next level.

On drafting locals, the Spurs have had some misteps in recent past...something I hope the FO can turn around with several opportunities in the upcoming draft, though I'm not holding my breath...

SenorSpur
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Another indictment on Hawks GM Billy Knight is after he mistakenly passed on Chris Paul (stupid!), he compounded the gaffe by going out and spending reasonably big bucks on Speedy Claxton. Now we all got love for Speedy from his time here, but we also know that he's been somewhat brittle during his career.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Another indictment on Hawks GM Billy Knight is after he mistakenly passed on Chris Paul (stupid!), he compounded the gaffe by going out and spending reasonably big bucks on Speedy Claxton. Now we all got love for Speedy from his time here, but we also know that he's been somewhat brittle during his career.

And that he lacked a legitimate jumpshot. He did have a good year backing up Paul in NO, but giving starting PG money to a classic backup PG was a mistake. It's not something they can't remedy, as long as they fire Billy Knight...