Anthony Johnson for 2nd rd pick...

:fro

monosylab1k
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
2nd rounder?

Shank
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Hmmm...odd move.

So much push to get this guy in here as the 3rd PG this year. Now the Mavs are without another PG and a 3rd center. Would lead you to believe there may be a move in the works.

pussyface
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
good enough...get him off the books.
open up a roster spot.
gives us flexability to pick up someone who gets cut by another team etc. ala alan henderson a few years ago

LEONARD
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Pippen? :lol

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Hmmm...odd move.

So much push to get this guy in here as the 3rd PG this year. Now the Mavs are without another PG and a 3rd center. Would lead you to believe there may be a move in the works.

JJ is now the 3rd PG

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2007, 12:33 PM
mavs could get a pick return, and the spurs are doing jackshit with beno, fuck this

George Gervin's Afro
02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Pippen? :lol

snottie quitten..it's very possible..

mabber
02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmmm...odd move.

Yeah, I'm guessing they use that pick or another to get PJ Brown or Najera.

MrChug
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Isn't this the "veteran savvy PG" that was going to put you over the top?

LEONARD
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Who said that?? :lol

He was the 3rd string PG...

pussyface
02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
as of right now this would be the 36th pick overall.

Shank
02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Pippen and Bill Cartwright.

monosylab1k
02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Who said that?? :lol

He was the 3rd string PG...

Alot of people thought that in the media. He was supposed to be the starter in case Devin didn't "figure it out". I don't think Avery ever agreed with that but that was the general consensus about him.

Judging from his performance in Indiana last year, I figured he might be worth a little more than a 2nd rounder, but since it's Atlanta it'll be a high second rounder so I guess it looks alright.

Shank
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Similar to the Jackie Butler talk.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2007, 12:49 PM
as of right now this would be the 36th pick overall.

seems better than the bucks pick and bulls pick owning to the spurs....

fuck our FO for doing jackshit....

rich gets richer my arse

more like riches to stitches....

NBAFan
02-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Hawks-Mavs trade saved Dallas 2.6M in tax for this year and 5.72 next year and they gained a 2.64M trade exception + get second round pick 37 which might go up if ATLANTA keep loosing.
Atlanta got a veteran pg.
Both side got good deal.

Flopper
02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
snottie quitten..it's very possible..

"snottie quitten"...that's a good name for him, sums up what quitten is about.

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Very bad move...
Unless they are making some room for Pip

LEONARD
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Very bad move...

He rarely plays...I'd rather see JJ get his minutes...

mabber
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Very bad move...

Wow, you proved your ignorance on two different threads on the same topic :lol

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Very bad move...

Care to explain why this was a "Very bad move"?

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Wow, you proved your ignorance on two different threads on the same topic :lol

Ignorance??? no , U are clueless, asshole

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Care to explain why this was a "Very bad move"?

Well, sure, they save 8 millions for the summer, but the ultimate goal is the championship right??? AJ is an excellent backup, and has been in many playoff battles
Now, Mavs will have to wait another season to finally win a title

mabber
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, sure, they save 8 millions for the summer, but the ultimate goal is the championship right??? AJ is an excellent backup, and has been in many playoff battles

He's not the backup point guard. He's the 3rd string point guard who rarely plays. Get a clue before you attempt to rate a trade :lol

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 02:24 PM

AJ was not the backup PG. Hell, he NEVER even played. :lol

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
AJ was not the backup PG. Hell, he NEVER even played. :lol
I know, but the guy is a pro and he'll be reeady if Harris dissapears again

mabber
02-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Hey, I'll admit that I was wrong about the Mavs bringing in AJ. I thought he was a good pickup but he never fit into their system very well. They've been shopping him since December from what I've heard. Maybe you should admit that you're wrong about rating that a bad trade. It's a good trade for Dallas in several ways.

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM

And how does losing AJ2 stop the Mavs from winning a championship?

:rolleyes

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey, I'll admit that I was wrong about the Mavs bringing in AJ. I thought he was a good pickup but he never fit into their system very well. They've been shopping him since December from what I've heard. Maybe you should admit that you're wrong about rating that a bad trade. It's a good trade for Dallas in several ways.

Well, maybe, maybe not ; time will tell

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
And how does losing AJ2 stop the Mavs from winning a championship?

Playoff experience

ponky
02-22-2007, 02:34 PM

so aj was the missing link to the trophy? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Playoff experience

LMFAO !!!!

AJ2 would not see a single minute in the Playoffs.

Get a clue

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:36 PM
so aj was the missing link to the trophy? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Why not? when we brought guys like Mario Elie, Steve Kerr or Horry, most experts were skepticals, but their post-season what exactly what we needed.

U can laugh, but a solid, battle-tested veteran can make all the difference in a talented team

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:36 PM
LMFAO !!!!

AJ2 would not see a single minute in the Playoffs.

Get a clue

How do u know? U are the coach?

ponky
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Playoff experience

this may have been the case last season but i'm pretty sure the mavericks gleaned quite a bit of playoff experience last season

Flight3107
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Why not? when we brought guys like Mario Elie, Steve Kerr or Horry, most experts were skepticals, but their post-season what exactly what we needed.

U can laugh, but a solid, battle-tested veteran can make all the difference in a talented team

You mean someone that actually plays like Devean George?

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Last postseasson experience is not enough... yes, Devean has championship experience (3 titles), but the more the better

ponky
02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Last postseasson experience is not enough... yes, Devean has championship experience (3 titles), but the more the better

the main guys have more than last season's experience, anyway this is a silly thing to discuss, imo, i don't really care, i'm just bored.

lefty
02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
the main guys have more than last season's experience, anyway this is a silly thing to discuss, imo, i don't really care, i'm just bored.

Ok then

JMarkJohns
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I have no idea why Dallas made this move. Johnson is as good a backup PG as a team can have. Good defender with the ability to create off the dribble and hit the three. Seems like a great fit for an isolation team with a combo-guard and an inexperienced PG as their lone legit guards. Stack can play it, but he's no longer athletic enough to cover opposing SGs on defense and while Howard is, he's better used as a SF. I suppose Buckner and George, but I think they are both better off at SF as well.

One backcourt injury away from not having the depth they love to employ. Johnson was very inexpensive security that such wouldn't be the case.

pussyface
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
I have no idea why Dallas made this move. Johnson is as good a backup PG as a team can have. Good defender with the ability to create off the dribble and hit the three. Seems like a great fit for an isolation team with a combo-guard and an inexperienced PG as their lone legit guards. Stack can play it, but he's no longer athletic enough to cover opposing SGs on defense and while Howard is, he's better used as a SF. I suppose Buckner and George, but I think they are both better off at SF as well.

One backcourt injury away from not having the depth they love to employ. Johnson was very inexpensive security that such wouldn't be the case.

I imagine that this is the first of more than one move to follow today...look for the other shoe to fall at some point later on.

if this is not the case, the only possible explanation I can imagine is that johnson was whining about playing time and had become a bit of a distraction for the rest of the team.

ponky
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I imagine that this is the first of more than one move to follow today...look for the other shoe to fall at some point later on.

isn't the deadline up in five minutes? tick-tock, tick-tock

JMarkJohns
02-22-2007, 03:03 PM

if this is not the case, the only possible explanation I can imagine is that johnson was whining about playing time and had become a bit of a distraction for the rest of the team.

I'd laugh my ass off if they combine Croshere, Stackhouse and some picks for Kidd. Check that, I'd cry my ass off... :cry

It works, shit. :oops

mabber
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd laugh my ass off if they combine Croshere, Stackhouse and some picks for Kidd. Check that, I'd cry my ass off... :cry

It works, shit. :oops

I'd be shocked if they moved Stackhouse.

MajorMike
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM
ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Hawks sent this year's second-round draft pick to Dallas on Thursday in exchange for veteran guard Anthony Johnson, who will begin his third stint with the team.

Johnson, 32, previously played in 112 games with the Hawks from 1998-2000 and 2000-01, averaging 3.6 points and 1.8 assists.

"We're happy to be able to bring Anthony Johnson back to Atlanta," Hawks president Billy Knight said. "He provides us with another veteran presence, and brings a great deal of regular season and postseason experience to our club."

The acquisition of Johnson is another attempt by Knight to bolster the point guard position, where free-agent addition Speedy Claxton, who was signed in the offseason to a four-year, $25 million deal, has been a disappointment.

Claxton played only 21 minutes in the Hawks' 103-96 loss to San Antonio on Wednesday night. He was scoreless with two assists. Royal Ivey started at point guard and played only 8 minutes.

Claxton missed 11 games in January with a sore left knee and has played in only 36 games for the season, averaging 5.7 points and 4.6 assists.

Johnson averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 assists in 40 games with Dallas this season.

Johnson scored a career-high 9.2 points per game for Indiana last season. He also averaged 4.3 assists and 2.2 rebounds in 75 games, including 53 starts.

Johnson scored a career-high 40 points in the playoffs last season against New Jersey and averaged 20.0 points in the six-game series.

Johnson also has played for Sacramento, Orlando, Cleveland, New Jersey and Indiana.

Marklar MM
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
A day late and a dollar short. :)

mavsfan1000
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
(Dirk Nowitzki troll screename)Aw Damnit :pctoss There goes our championship chances :bang :madrun :madrun Time to be a Hawks fan. Fuck Cuban:madrun :pctoss (/Dirk Nowitzki troll screename)

MajorMike
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Just posting from a Hawks point of view.

fitzgerald
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I personally am surprised that they gave up some insurance. If Terry or Harris go down for any lenth of time then we will be thin. What would of hurt to have Anthony Johnson around just this year? Not like Cuban is hurting for money. I just hope it does not come back to bite the Mavericks.

mabber
02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I personally am surprised that they gave up some insurance. If Terry or Harris go down for any lenth of time then we will be thin. What would of hurt to have Anthony Johnson around just this year? Not like Cuban is hurting for money. I just hope it does not come back to bite the Mavericks.

They must be confident in JJ as their 3rd string point guard.

Bruno
02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
It's a very solid move for Dallas : they save money, open playtime for their prospects and get a good pick (Hawks' second round pick is the 35th pick for the moment). Mavs have now a usefull pick in the 2007 draft (they have traded their first round pick).

I guess that they will try to get a vet bigman. it won't be easy to get a quality one because nobody is availble on the market and I don't seea lot of bigs being waived.

The only negative is that it can hurt them if Terry or Harris are injured: Barrea isn't maybe nba ready but you can't have to do choices : either having vets as injury insurance or trying to work with some prospects.

dallaskd
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
he was always complaining about his playing time. im glad he can somewhere that he can play. i hope we can sign someone good as a replacement.

RonMexico
02-22-2007, 09:31 PM
HAHA - I wish I had the energy to go find the comments from Mavs fans at the beginning of the year saying that Anthony Johnson was a "quality backup" and "could be starting on half the teams in the league."

Then again, I thought Marcus Banks could play better than he has....

mavsfan1000
02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
HAHA - I wish I had the energy to go find the comments from Mavs fans at the beginning of the year saying that Anthony Johnson was a "quality backup" and "could be starting on half the teams in the league."

Then again, I thought Marcus Banks could play better than he has....
Probably because there wasn't a thread that said that. Anthony Johnson could've been a backup but Avery decided he liked Buckner and George more and he wanted Terry as a point guard more than a shooting guard.

RonMexico
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Probably because there wasn't a thread that said that. Anthony Johnson could've been a backup but Avery decided he liked Buckner and George more and he wanted Terry as a point guard more than a shooting guard.

Oh, there definitely was... now, you've challenged me... dammit...

ponky
02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Oh, there definitely was... now, you've challenged me... dammit...

you're probably right but it's not like AJ2 ever got a chance to prove or disprove the mavs fans making those comments so it doesn't really matter

RonMexico
02-22-2007, 09:51 PM
here's just a quick one - In response to me saying that Croshere and Johnson don't make the Mavs any better than they were last year:

Yes, they do. But I don't think they'll be able to beat the Mavs. Or the Spurs. And Johnson provides vet leadership and Croshere isn't nearly as basketball stupid as KVH. Not to mention George who knows what it's like to win, and Buckner who plays solid D. Along with the rapid upcoming of Harris and Howard. And Damp is actually playing like he deserves a few bucks of his inflated contract.

The Mavs know what it's like to get to the finals now. They also know what it's like to fail miserably in the finals as well. If they get back, it won't happen again...

weak example, but it's there for mavsfan1000 to see