PDA

View Full Version : When is Ely going to start playing?

twilo73
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Is he hurt?

Mr. Body
02-22-2007, 01:01 PM
As soon as he beats Jackie Butler in a sumo wrestling match.

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Who is Stephen Jackson and what is this so-called plan????

Just kidding... :lol

ploto
02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
How- with wanting Elson to be given his chance and Bonner his minutes?

Solid D
02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021407.07C.BKNspurs.ely.1b79ff0.html

Popovich said Ely first needs to improve his conditioning.

"He's not in shape," Popovich said. "He hasn't played much at all in Charlotte. Once he gets in shape, we'll see what we have."

SenorSpur
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Who is Stephen Jackson and what is this so-called plan????

Just kidding... :lol

I wonder if Stephen Jackson realizes that part of his Spurs legacy is having a "red-shirt" development plan named in his honor. :p:

Bob Lanier
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
November, if he's lucky and his agent is any good.

boutons_
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
red-shirts

orange jumpsuits

SJax is nothing if not famous for his monochrome haberdashery. :lol

ArgSpursFan
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
How about..........Never.

Budkin
02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm guessing Pop's answer will be something like "We're happy with Fab and Elson and there just aren't minutes for Melvin unless there is an injury."

MoSpur
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Once Pop realizes Orberto is better off as the third backup.

Solid D
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm guessing Pop's answer will be something like "We're happy with Fab and Elson and there just aren't minutes for Melvin unless there is an injury."

Since Melvin's contract expires this year, that would be the equivalent of saying, "we really wanted to just burn a 2nd round pick".

There will be times this season when Pop will want to send a more physical player out there in the paint.

Sam
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
In about a week and a half.

The Truth #6
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I thought he was on the Glenn Robinson plan?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
count down to the first person saying he's on the Stephen Jackson plan.

Countdown to him not getting minutes and posters crying conspiracy so we can re-sign him cheap.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Regarding getting into shape, it's not like he's overweight like Jackie when he got here, he just needs to get into basketball shape - get his lungs and legs ready. So I'd imagine that he's running a lot of drills and we'd probably see him on the court in about 10 days or so.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Regarding getting into shape, it's not like he's overweight like Jackie when he got here, he just needs to get into basketball shape - get his lungs and legs ready. So I'd imagine that he's running a lot of drills and we'd probably see him on the court in about 10 days or so.
:)

AFBlue
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Replacing who on the active roster? Is Pop going to IL Oberto in favor of a guy who doesn't know the system, or are the Spurs gonna go with 6 bigs on the active roster (sit someone like Beno)?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM

I don't get that.

It's not like he was injured. I understand he didn't play much, but at the same time if we stick somebody at the end of our bench into a game...you would hope he could play 5-10 minutes a game at least.

I mean. As a healthy player on a NBA team, isn't there a certain level of fitness that is expected.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I mean. As a healthy player on a NBA team, isn't there a certain level of fitness that is expected.Perhaps the Spurs expect more. It's one way to find out if Ely buys into what the coaches are selling.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
... if we stick somebody at the end of our bench into a game...you would hope he could play 5-10 minutes a game at least.

I mean. As a healthy player on a NBA team, isn't there a certain level of fitness that is expected.

The Spurs level of what they expect may be higher than the Bobcats. It also gives him time to watch the Spurs games and get used to the system.

ploto
02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Since Melvin's contract expires this year, that would be the equivalent of saying, "we really wanted to just burn a 2nd round pick".

Or "we traded a second round pick to save $1M luxury tax."

tlongII
02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
How is a guy "not in shape" in the middle of the season if he hasn't been injured?

jcrod
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
If Elson keeps rebounding, rotating on Defense and running the floor like he did the last two games.....he will never start.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
If Elson keeps rebounding, rotating on Defense and running the floor like he did the last two games.....he will never start.
Elson was back to normal last night - 2 points, 2 boards, 12 minutes.

td4mvp21
02-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Uh wasn't he in foul trouble?

Kori Ellis
02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Uh wasn't he in foul trouble?

Umm.. yeah, but jcrod just said he was rebounding a lot in the last two games. 2 rebounds isn't rebounding a lot. I'm guessing he either missed last night's game or he meant the previous two games.

Bruno
02-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Spurs have 7 bigs. Butler won't get playtime this year but Pop will have to find a way to give playtime to the 6 others bigs.

td4mvp21
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Umm.. yeah, but jcrod just said he was rebounding a lot in the last two games. 2 rebounds isn't rebounding a lot. I'm guessing he either missed last night's game or he meant the previous two games.
True, but I'm saying that he didn't really get a chance to do much. I think he would have scored/rebounded more with the way he's been playing.

jcrod
02-23-2007, 02:16 AM

Yes I missed the game, didn't even see the stats. I'm in Dallas.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Barkley was right.

Elson and Oberto are just teases. I WISH we had someone to come in more consistently and take their spot. I can't get my hopes up about Ely though.

bigdog
02-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Ely has wanted to play all season,so i'm sure hes working his ass off to get some playing time. he was seldom used in charlotte,and when he got to SA, he said it would probably take him a week to learn all the plays. so maybe we could see him sometime next week. he can play PF also, so don't think the rotation is going to get completely messed up with him in the lineup. all we gotta do is move someone like Beno or Rob(on back to backs,or just to give him some rest) to the inactive list,and we should be good. whether hes playing the 4 or 5 doesnt really matter, because he could be effective at both positions.